Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Well our local forecast, which rarely commits itself to quantities, is forecasting 50cm for the Beaufortain over 24 hours from 10 am tomorrow - the big fall being in the night. Less for the Maurienne and Tarentaise, but still decent amounts. If it comes true, gonna be chaos on Saturday morning... hope everyone has been practising chains. Me, I shall be having a go at the quiet transfer-day pistes.... snowHead snowHead snowHead

Luckily I'm taking an afternoon flight to the French Alps rather than a morning one- hopefully they will have sorted out the roads by then Wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waynos, at the end of the day, if you don't believe in any of the forecasts then simply look out the window and you've got the correct forecast for the next few minutes - it was good enough for the Victorians after all.

I'm reminded of that mythical weather forecasting tool the Ogwen Weather Stone at Llyn Idwal in North Wales. This treasured lump of rock hangs outside the Ogwen Cottage Mountain Resuce Post in a popular but wild area of snowdonia and merely by observing it for a short while one can deduce much about current conditions with the aid of the expanatory notes. (i.e. 'Stone is wet - raining', 'Stone swinging back & forth - windy', 'Stone white - snowing', 'Stone bouncing up & down - earthquake'

the ever-so-subtle message from those 'nails' Welshmen is that the weather can change very quickly in the mountains - be prepared for everything...

Anyway - apologies for the interruption - back to discussions about whether 12 or 14 mm of snow will fall on morzine in time for so-and-so's holiday this weekend Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, Surely you mean cm not mm Shocked All those wizzing off this weekend will start panicking big time!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scooter, cm, mm, M, ", ft - who can say? As always, we sit and wait a crumb of info from the CarlBri table just as the hungry puppy dog waits for titbits from it's master.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
the experts keep telling us not to beleive the forecast as it's all a guessing game.

waynos, that's not what they are telling us. It's not guessing. But neither does anyone "know" what the weather will be. It's a matter of probability, based on feeding a huge amount of data into a computer. Ideally it is then interpreted by a human forecaster with enormous knowledge and skill, but that's not what snow-forecast etc are doing. You can get your own private forecasting from the Met Office in the UK, for a price, and it's brilliant ("if you can get yourselves 20 miles further south before mid-day you'll avoid the worst of the gale") but not cheap.

It's a great pity, I think, that our forecasts in the UK are generally not accompanied by any statistics of probability. In the US it;s routine to be told "there's a 60% chance of rain". The Chamonix meteo reports have an indication of confidence (e.g "confidence 4/5 till Tuesday, then 2/5". ) 2/5 is not really worth paying much attention to....

I can understand why the people who spend time putting thoughtful weather stuff on here get fed up when people ask "is it going to snow in Uberuntermiddelberg in the middle of next month". If you read this kind of thread attentively over some months, you get the drift. You don't need a degree in meteorology, but you do need to be willing to invest a certain amount of effort. I have spent a lot of time studying sailing-related weather in the UK. I know what to expect the wind to do when a cold front passes overhead. I've little idea about Alpine weather and am very grateful for people who have acquired that knowledge, and are willing to share it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I'm with you. I'm not bad at doing Marseilles to Menton 1-3 days out ( even if I say so myself), and many others think so ; but I need to be 'there' as well as use the models - and even then I can't do the micro-climates at all. How these guys do the mountains to such an amazing level of detail is beyond me.

Doesn't Meteo France put probabilitiies on all its detailed forecasts ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, there is a 50 % chance it will snow today, anywhere Laughing it will either snow or it will not snow wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, Yes, I know...but how much?...........I'll get my coat Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Using the 'looking out the window' method I can confirm that it has been snowing here in Les Gets for half an hour.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing - just about - here too, but temperatures rather warmer than I expected. Barely freezing at 1500m, but freezing level will fall as the "pertubation" goes through. Where's the "fingers crossed" smilie....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowzebra, not doing anything except grey in Cham/Les Houches... Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just grey in Gstaad as well ....
latest report
 brian
brian
pam w, David Murdoch, Agenterre, have a little patience, snow on the way this evening. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, as always, the patient faithful have been rewarded snowHead
snow report
brian, Tut ! ... and I thought you had influence in high places ! Little Angel Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Snow has now stopped Sad . Hopeful for more this evening.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Follow the approaching front's progress here.

http://meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur
ski holidays
brian, once a front like that hits a land mass the size of the alps, does it stall or does it generally just continue and drop it's precipitation and disappear? I'm guessing it'd need to pass over an area of water to build up again?

sorry for my lack of knowledge Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
shoogly, fronts form at temperature boundaries. So in a cold front (like the one approaching the alps just now) there is relatively warm air ahead of the front and colder air behind it. The cold air undercuts the warm air (because it's more dense) so the warm air is forced upwards where it cools and moisture in it condenses, hence clouds and if there's enough, rain. The mountains enhance the effects because the air also has to rise to get over them (orographic lifting).

However, most of the front is above the level of most of the mountains, so I don't think they get slowed down that much.
snow report
brian, even my super slow internet connection could see that front approaching; thanks. I shall tune in every now and then and see how it's going. Might even look out of the window, later!
ski holidays
brian, as well as tonights decent top up its looking ok for Monday don't you think. These two 'dumps' could well freshen things up nicely with the dry but very cold spell coming if FI is believable.
snow conditions
I put the car in the garage a few hours ago, was afraid I might have put the mockers on it.....but it's just started snowing here, very quietly. We are in what the French call the "préalpes".
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Any thoughts on this cloud, which appeared over Mont Blanc prior to the snowfall about a week ago. There were similar smaller clouds over other peaks.

I knew i'd seen it somewhere before:

This was in Avoriaz, last Monday... the day before we had the snowfall on Tuesday. Must have been a sign?

p.s. sorry my photography skills aren't quite up to yours pamw
snow report
Just started to snow in Les Arcs.
snow conditions
Agghh the vagaries of the weather .. it was like Gallipoli out there last night .. 'You're moving' 'no.... I'm not' said incumbent system .. 'move over ...'.. 'let's try a flank attack' , maybe it was just Brian playing with the charts wink

All is well ... still snowing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Just started snowing lightly in Schaldming, Austria. Local forecast has downgraded forecast snow to a few showers, but we're see.

Personally I think it will snow from Wed through to Sunday this week as that's when I'm back in the UK.
latest report
snowing and blowing here, and been falling all night as far as I know. Too nasty to go out and find out how much might have fallen - and the extent of drifting would make it difficult to be accurate anyway. But it's significant.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
snowing and blowing here, and been falling all night as far as I know. Too nasty to go out and find out how much might have fallen - and the extent of drifting would make it difficult to be accurate anyway. But it's significant.

Thanks Pam, great to know!
ski holidays
4-6 inches overnight here, still snowing now but streaks of blue sky appearing. Which may stay, or may not...
ski holidays
Can anyone shed any light on the fact that ski club are reporting high winds for Chamonix on Monday. How is it looking from Tuesday onwards with reguards winds and the chance of them being strong enough to effect lift opening etc
ski holidays
Renry, snow-forecast has pretty high winds on Monday, and they're not likely to be too wrong about that; wind is easier to predict than precipitation amounts (which snow-forecast once again hugely under-predicted last night. They forecast 12, we had almost 30). I don't know what kind of winds would be needed to close lifts in Chamonix - maybe ask on the Chamonix thread? The locals will know. Later in the week wind speeds look low; shouldn't be any problem, and the snow should be great. snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Just popped in to come all over all smug wink

brian *on the 20th January* wrote:
Hmmm, looking like another potential sunny and warm spell around next weekend ... ideal for the panic merchants wink and then hopeful signs for the rest of us around the turn of the month, Scotland first ... alps to follow ? Very far out but I like the way things are shaping up ....
latest report
Renry,
"MONDAY FEBRUARY 04
Sunny spells with fœhn wind in the morning - disturbance crossing over in the afternoon
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : morning cloud with sunny spells - mostly cloudy or overcast in the afternoon - period of sunshine close to 30%.
PRECIPITATION : starting up towards the middle of the day - light or locally moderate - rain-snow limit towards 1000 m.
WIND - aloft : SW strong to gale force - gusty fœhn wind in the morning.
TEMPERATURE : rising lows - dropping highs."

From cham meteo.
snow report
brian, we never doubted you for a minute, just enjoyed those lovely warm and sunny days knowing the snow would follow. wink Lovely fresh snow today; especially when down the neck! A perfect day on the snow, crowned by watching Wales beat England at Twickenham

(Edited to add gloat).
latest report
Brian / Caled

just back from Niederau (depressed). Sad Crying or Very sad

Your forecasts were spot on. - the precipitation on Sun 27th fell as rain as predicted - you said don't get excited !!

2-3 cm on the Wednesday and then about 10cm had fallen by the time we left yesterday.

It was hard and icy in patches but there was plenty of snow and we had a brilliant time - why do we worry so much ??

Can't wait till next year - so maybe try to pinch a couple of days in Scotland Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Radio silence on the weather thread???? Is everybody out playing in the powder???????????? DId it arrive????How much and where??????
Is there another thread that everybody else has gone to without telling me??????

I need help urgently - 3 days to go....
ski holidays
kewhoward, certainly looks snowy on many webcams, I think everyone is making the most of it all hence the silence!!! 3 days to go? You'll be absolutely fine with the new snow, have a great time snowHead
snow conditions
kewhoward wrote:
Is everybody out playing in the powder???????????? DId it arrive????How much and where??????

I was out playing in the powder last week. It arrived in force (and more on the way). 62" (that's 157cm) in 5 days in the Canyons, Utah. Stopped snowing on Friday night so we could fly home on Saturday, and the next storm was due in on Saurday night. snowHead
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Wear The Fox Hat, wow ! Going green Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy