Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
just saw the bbc weather report... should be decent skiing in scotland on saturday...

fingers crossed for glencoe
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK...now going to stick my head above the parapet Little Angel The latest model for the 3V (La Tania) forecasts snow Fri/Sat this week.....so at this stage with only a couple of days to go, how accurate would the experts on here expect the forecast to be....... wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
my own personal theory is that snowfalls happen most often when they can cause max disruption to transfer days; so good falls Friday night seem quite possible to me.....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, That's my worry too....heavy snow showers forecast for Dorset rolling eyes when we are due to go to the airport.....bit ironic really if we missed flight due to snow this end Embarassed
latest report
 brian
brian
Scooter, looks like 20cm or so to me. wink Might be pretty wet snow to start off with in La Tania (1300m) but it'll get colder as the front moves through.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, Sounds like a perfect forecast....thank you Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any thoughts on this cloud, which appeared over Mont Blanc prior to the snowfall about a week ago. There were similar smaller clouds over other peaks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I missed a flight to Phoenix in 2000 due to unexpected fall on snow at Colsterworth on the A1. Stuck in a jam 200m past a junction and did not move for 3 hrs..........most stressful!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
pam w, that's a type of orographic cloud called a cap cloud. It forms because air carrying moisture is forced up over the mountain, the drop in pressure as it rises causes condensation.

Incidentally, the latent heat released by the condensation is what warms the air as it flows down the other side of the mountain, the dreaded foehn effect.

If the mountain has an abrupt ridge or face, you get a banner cloud, as often seen on the Matterhorn, which I have a pic of somewhere ....
snow report
 brian
brian
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brian, thanks. Was that cloud upwind or downwind of the mountain? The day of my cloud was certainly very warm. Pretty when the sun set and the moon rose, though....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, carled, on the gfs runs, do you know why the green line, the most likely event, seems to be completley different from the other lines and the grey line?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
abar1990, it's run at a higher resolution than the control and the ensemble members.

(A grid of something like 50km points on the ground versus 35km and 128 layers of atmosphere versus 64)
latest report
 brian
brian
pam w, banner clouds form on the lee side.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Any thoughts on this cloud, which appeared over Mont Blanc prior to the snowfall about a week ago. There were similar smaller clouds over other peaks.

Many moons ago I worked as a rep/guide in Courmayeur, and all of the local guides that I used to work with used to say when Mont Blanc has got its hat on then snow is due. And regurlarly you would see a build up above or just to the side and more often then not the snow did indeed fall.

Urban myth - or just good local knowledge.............
snow report
pam w wrote:

I took a photo of that exact same cloud when I was in Les Arcs (if it was about 10 days ago?). It snowed the following day.
snow report
Nice photographs by the way/ Cool
snow report
Quote:
Many moons ago I worked as a rep/guide in Courmayeur, and all of the local guides that I used to work with used to say when Mont Blanc has got its hat on then snow is due.

A ski instructor in La Plagne told me "si L'Aiguille Verte ne veux pas, Mont Blanc ne peux pas" - meaning that the AV needed a cap on too, for it to snow. That huge cloud was right over the lot, I suppose, and there were, at other points, little separate caps over many peaks. I've often seen the caps - but never quite such a splendid one as that. rob@rar, yes, it would have been the same cloud. The most spectacular I've seen in six years, that's for sure!
ski holidays
Same cloud, slightly different view

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, that's not a cloud but a very large and very lost dolphin
ski holidays
rob@rar, I saw that too it was just like a dolphin........
snow conditions
actually, i think you'll find it's a beluga

Very Happy
ski holidays
But anyway, is it snowing in Chamonix this weekend?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was always told something similar about that particular cloud formation over Mont Blanc - it was referred to as 'discing', and was generally regarded to mean snow....whether there is anything in it, I know not, but it has been rolled out on many a chair lift, much to the bemusement of Mrs Guvnor
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But anyway, will it snow in Grand Massif before next weekend?

The tension of waiting for the the latest reading of the runes is almost too much. I think I'll step outside for awhile......
snow conditions
Well our local forecast, which rarely commits itself to quantities, is forecasting 50cm for the Beaufortain over 24 hours from 10 am tomorrow - the big fall being in the night. Less for the Maurienne and Tarentaise, but still decent amounts. If it comes true, gonna be chaos on Saturday morning... hope everyone has been practising chains. Me, I shall be having a go at the quiet transfer-day pistes.... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
kewhoward wrote:
But anyway, will it snow in Grand Massif before next weekend?

The tension of waiting for the the latest reading of the runes is almost too much. I think I'll step outside for awhile......

Yes. On at least two separate occasions. Once around this Friday/Saturday and again towards the middle of next week. Decent amount both times.

There. Who said I wasn't helpful and informative?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks carled, Just stepped inside and am very grateful and I feel helped and informed. You have brought a calm upon me Cool that will gradually build to fever pitch again over the next 24 hours. Madeye-Smiley . I am so glad I deferred my question from when first tempted to ask it 4 weeks ago. The weather gods are kind to those who wait.

Now, it sounds like it would be prudent to check out the snow chain threads for guidance in case of a dose of the good stuff on Thursday evening when I arrive. Busy, Busy Busy.... snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kewhoward, Alas Thursday is the only day that carled, is allowed off the medication by nursey. He is however allowed a walk in the garden with his 'sock-puppet' Brian on a Monday morning ... just don't expect any sense without the tablets!

P.S. Have a great holiday !! snowHead wink
latest report
Agenterre, Thanks and Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quote:
I am so glad I deferred my question from when first tempted to ask it 4 weeks ago.

kewhoward, if you'd asked that 4 weeks ago you'd have found Carled a whole heap less helpful and informative. Laughing Enjoy the snow.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
sock puppet ? splutter .... Twickers karma'll get you with remarks like that. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
brian, LMAO ....... wink and apologies, I appreciate the knowledge and application that goes into it ! snowHead
snow report
Thanks pam w, this thread is my favourite since joining at Christmas - amongst the hundreds of things I've learnt the first one to save me money is not bothering to pay extra for the six day forecast on a commercial site I used to frequent - not because these guys are doing it for free but because clearly its completely useless! Great fun though and I'm OK anyway because where I'm going has a unique micro-climate that, due to its proximity to Mont Blanc, it is renowned for having an enviable snow record with almost perfect conditions annually from early December to May. snowHead
ski holidays
Hi brian, any thoughts on the about turn of the ECM and GFS on the medium-term. Much different to last two days runs, also the original 1/2/08 dump progged by the GFS does seem to be happening after all.
snow report
kewhoward, My favourite too.....I no longer follow the 'punter' sites, but must admit to following the models too avidly snowHead and of course wise comment by carled/brian Razz
ski holidays
Quote:

wise comment by carled/brian

Hear, hear, absolutely un-put-down-able - both useful and witty. What more could one want?
latest report
kewhoward, the thing I note is that the experts keep telling us not to beleive the forecast as it's all a guessing game. So what is it that makes a weather expert, other than not knowing what the weather will be?
snow report
 brian
brian
lisach, well, they both look potentially nicer than GFS did a day or 2 ago. There seems to be a trend for pressure to build somewhere on this side of the atlantic. Over the UK (as per current GFS) or towards Scandi (as per ECM) are both normally cold for the alps, especially if they can hang around for a while ... and if a low or 2 can bubble up off the med to meet the cold air (both models currently have this about T+216), then snow is on the menu.

So there could be some good stuff ahead, but as you say, quite a bit of twisting and turning before it settles to something like a pattern I think.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
waynos, we are ski punters interested in the weather, no more, no less. It's hardly a degree in meteorology. rolling eyes The thread is meant to be a discussion.

The stuff to ignore are the automated forecasts churned out with exact numbers for precip, temp etc. from the GFS feed for way out up to 15 days.

If you look at the forecasts the pros produce, you will notice that vagueness increases exponentially with time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy