Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
brian, so:

1) green line - this is what they think might happen - but could go a bit amiss. you'd stick a few quid on it at longer odds.
2) the blue line roughly the same, but at lower resolution and seems to be added in as more of a checking mechanism for the green output.
3) the grey line is the average of all the other runs, which have slightly 'corrupted' input data, just to see what happens if things change a bit - so that might be a good long term "each way" sort of a bet.

would that sound right?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
rogg, yep, think so. Although the "corruptions" in 3 are within the accuracy of the measurements, I think. So it's sort of: if we got the input data just a little bit wrong what would happen ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rogg, brian,

so... given that this is all about probability.... the grey line is maybe the best to look at past the 7 day green line Puzzled

on an outlook point - lets hope its stays cold pass the weekend!

snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mattmulkeen, that's what i was kinda thinking, green up close, grey for a longer range punt. if green, grey and blue all on top of each other......... Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bet you guys are nonstop fun at dinner parties wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold,

I used GO gel last time I saw Mrs whitegold - she did indeed last 45% longer!

wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, i am NehNeh

the reason for finding out this stuff is that this year i get to do 2 last minute bookings for my hols. i need to be able to have a roughly acurate stab at forecasting a week off to make sure i get good snow. snowHead now iknow the answers i promise to post less Laughing
latest report
 brian
brian
Looking highly promising for the weekend now as atlantic fronts sweep across the alps. Last couple of GFS runs have spun off a little secondary low down across France on Sunday which would bring some very nice dumpage, practically right across the northern and western sides of the alps. Freezing levels yo-yoing a bit but generally not too bad and should snow right down to below 1000m by Sunday night into Monday.

Edit: beyond anything like reliability now, but Shocked height rises to the NE and the next big low just stalls out in the atlantic. Bee-yoo-tee-ful Razz snowHead

..... and here comes the cold ... and here comes more dumpage sliding into it !! Mein gott in himmel, what a run !!

Not buying it wink

Last edited by brian on Tue 27-11-07 17:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, you're a nice man Smile More forecasts like that please...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
rob@rar, I aim to please wink The good news is that there's been no sign yet in this early season of one of those dastardly Euro-Highs that just sit there for weeks on end giving no snow to the alps and endless screaming mild winds over the UK. (He said, tempting fate somewhat Confused ).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar,

Looks nice

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Les_Arcs_snow.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very good bring it on snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chamonix Forecast from saturday...
EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL MONDAY DECEMBER 03 2007
Saturday : active disturbance crossing over - mostly cloudy - frequent showers in the afternoon - rain-snow limit towards 1500 m. Sunday : new disturbance crossing over in the afternoon. Monday : unsettled and cold - snow showers.

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since Meteoblue stopped making its rather pretty pictures available to all, I have been looking for a site which provides an animated impression of any upcoming precipitation. For my simple mind these are much easier to understand than any graphs. Found this today and thought it a good substitute - http://www.westwind.ch/?link=ukm3

Edited to shorten link

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 28-11-07 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
Derek Jackson, I get the meteoblue piccies for CH at

http://www.meteoblue.ch/More-Maps.16+M53b1d4cdf0c.0.html

Any chance you could shorten the url above ? Put tags round it thus:

Code:

[url=http://some.very.longurl]A bit of text that appears as a link[/url]
ski holidays
brian, thanks for the link to Meteoblue. I can't find out how to get to that page from their home page.

Try this link for westwind - http://www.westwind.ch/?page=ukm3 - then select precip6/12h and then All.

Clearly the end result is similar to Meteoblue but the prediction seems to go further out.

There are more predictive sequences on westwind, but I haven't yet explored them.
snow report
 brian
brian
Derek Jackson, yeah, there's tons of good links in there, including the NMM as posted on meteoblue:

http://www.westwind.ch/?page=nmm4

The one you've posted above is our very own met office's model.
snow report
brian, yes, I did think it might be that. However, it shows Switzerland very nicely, but doesn't show the UK.
snow report
brian, just looked at the NMM link, but it seems to be dated July 2007. Otherwise it would be much better for Switzerland. I can't tell at the moment whether the date is wrong or they are just not running it any longer.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Bit of a disappointing downgrade on the snow amounts for the weekend, but still significant snow and also slightly colder. Would rather have a high up mega dump myself, ymmv. wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Oh, and what was I saying yesterday about Euro Highs and tempting fate ? Sad

latest report
brian,

This weekend/next week looks good doesn't it? Puzzled Looks good to me anyway.

Surely beyond that, it is all guess work!

Ta

Matt

PS Only good news from now on please! snowHead
latest report
 brian
brian
Mattmulkeen, yes, and yes. That chart above is absolutely miles out, so nothing to worry about (yet !).
ski holidays
easy, everyone get a hair dryer out and point it towards the south coast on a cool setting and see if we can banish any Highs from settling in LOL.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any update on areas covering St Anton in Austria or Arosa in Switzerland ?? from Saturday onwards??
ski holidays
[quote="brian"]Anybody fancy a thread for pointless speculation and guesswork about the upcoming weather ? wink

All the activity is in the wrong place for me at the moment. We are out to Bourg for Jan, Feb and they most of the snow is falling north of this area. Is it usual to get this much snow this early in the season. Confused
latest report
Decided to look at one/two dayahead only forecasting as I keep getting my hopes up 2 much!!

The load of snow forecast this weekend has all but vanished from predictions!
ski holidays
sparkzter, welcome to snowHeads. Sadly we all get used to the ups and downs of snow forecasting Smile
snow conditions
 brian
brian
sparkzter, welcome to snowHead s. Probably quite wise .... or go to Austria, they seem to be knicking all the snow ... on which note ...

rayscoops, St Anton looking good for some Mon/Tues action.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, excellent, I get there Sunday Very Happy now.... mmm.... have I got enough wax left for my Ride Yukon 164 wide board ........ Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
john godley, It's endlessly variable - this is pretty good this year, near-perfect in fact as the mild sectors push through consolidating the base. There's certainly loads more snow on the ground across the alps than is "usual", although who can say what usual is? Some years it comes early, some years it comes late, some years it hardly comes at all (1988 and 1989 from memory). You can't say what's going to happen in the Bourg area in January - it might be epic, it might be thin. A foehn wind could establish next week and strip all but the most consolidated patches. Or it might snow its backside off. Mind you, if you're there for Jan and Feb, the chances are you will drop lucky at some point during the two months!
rayscoops, you are a Dreadful Man - I have just had a look at the Arlberg webcams and am insane with jealousy. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From USAF

http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/index.cfm?section=dsplOOP&image=21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_SNOW_SFC_??_12Z

http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/index.cfm?section=dspLoop&image=21OWS_EUROPE_ANALYSIS_METSAT_00_SFC_METSAT-ANALYSIS-?
snow report
Any one care tp predict next 5 days or so as it appears as though it is warming up to me? Sad
snow report
dk100,

next 5 days look more like average temps and some snow to me - beyond that is guesswork!
snow report
 brian
brian
Mattmulkeen, brave +ve spin Very Happy

GFS has gone well and truly tits up for next week, but ECM still looks quite nice, more runs needed !
ski holidays
rayscoops, you're sure you're not tempted by Ischgl at all? I keep looking at stanton's fimbabahn photos and then have to go and change my pants.

(I'm only saying this 'cos I can't go 'til Feb, and the thought of all that snow going to waste is driving me potty) Very Happy
latest report
snojito, maybe but just booked a B&B for Euro 33 a night right in the middle of town - bargain Very Happy may a day trip though could be on the cards
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dk100, said
Quote:
Any one care to predict next 5 days or so

Try the GFS Animation Panel - at the top, where it says "bitte wahlen" select the 850 hPa Temperatur and on the right where it says "bitte wahlen" select the niederschlag - let the images load, then run your mouse down the hours on the left to see the animated temperature & precipitation predictions for the next 7 days
latest report
 brian
brian
Well this evening's ECM (12z) stays with a tasty theme. Very Happy Corresponding GFS is awful. Sad

Mon the Euros ! wink
ski holidays
brian, care to go with one or other of these models?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy