Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
brian, 'Retrogression' that was the word I was looking for wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i like the sound of this retrogression.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But it's going to be WARM (can't do pink) for the last few days of the month.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have to say, although I accept its been a great season so far, I'm increasingly concerned about the these regular spells of warm weather, with unusually high freezing levels. When you read about spring-like conditions in La Thuile in the middle of January, its a bit of a worry. (Especially if your going there in March Shocked ).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Everyone chill relax it'll be fine, there is snow, there is tonnes of time for more snow, save any energy your putting into worrying for the slopes.

One warm spell (even two warm spells) does not a spring make.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only a few days more warm to come, then some chilly temps are on the way. Beginning of Feb is starting to look quite promising. Watch this space.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled, Yay!

Next week in Val, back for a week, then off to Wengen - Looking like snow conditions could be much more 'optimal' than last year Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carled wrote:
Only a few days more warm to come, then some chilly temps are on the way. Beginning of Feb is starting to look quite promising. Watch this space.

what do you mean by quite promising? im In Chamonix the 5th Feb.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Renry wrote:
carled wrote:

what do you mean by quite promising? im In Chamonix the 5th Feb.

They say a picture speaks a thousand words... snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Renry, this is looking promising wink

There we go

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 24-01-08 15:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carled, You beat me to it wink I still havn't figured out how to get images up rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hedley wrote:
carled, You beat me to it wink I still havn't figured out how to get images up rolling eyes

Lesson 1. Don't post links to html pages (clue: look at end of the web link you've posted wink) in "img" tags
Lesson 2. Refer to lesson 1
Lesson 2a. Right-click on an image and select "properties" to get the physical link to the displayed image.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, Doh!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, hedley, thanks guys - most encouraging snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great...my last day and the drive home in snow Very Happy
latest report
right... i'm now going to make a slight attempt at figuring out what all those lines mean. I take it the ones across the middle are temps from different models. Does that mean the ones at the bottom are for precipitation? or is it pressure?

and, the thick red line.... is that the average?

If so, looking good. If not, then i'll take your words for it and it's looking good anyway. either way, i'm a happy man Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
shoogly, 1 model, 22 different runs through it with data gathered from the same time, eg. 06z = 6am. Middle lines, temp at an atmospheric pressure of 850 hPa, bottom lines, precipitation over 6 hour periods. Red line is the average over 1971-2000.
snow report
Now I'm no meteorologist, and those graphs look complicated but even I can see there is a pronounced trend DOWNwards in temp and some precipitation on the way - wooot! Laughing Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
Oh alright then - I came over a bit Al Gore earlier Embarassed By the way, which region are the graphs for?
latest report
ajpaul, Black one is Geneva,not sure where the other one is ??
snow report
hedley, Avoriaz area I think.
snow conditions
So this all means that it's gonna be about -20 and a white out for my weekend 7-11 Feb Confused
snow report
carled wrote:

They say a picture speaks a thousand words...

Yeah, but that one is speaking them in a foreign language!
snow conditions
abar1990 wrote:
Hey guys, ive got a good website that i find is more accurate than all the others. Go on to Accuweather .com and then onto world weather and type in your ski resort and it gives you a 15 day detailed weather forecast. Ive been looking at atleast 10 resorts from france, italy, austria and slovenia and all of them predict a cold snap at the beginning of feb with lots of snowww!!!! i got to Kranjska gora every year and its only 800m but they're predicting -18 on the 2nd feb with 4 days of continous snow, its a long way off, but have found that this website, even this far off is quite accurate. Very Happy i dont think this mid spell will be too harsh on the resorts, as temperatures are still below freezing at night and most piste depths are above average at this time of year. Anyone off to courmayeur in feb half term time? or kranjska gora in march? i am....... hehe Very Happy

alex

We are off to KG in March and I have been here (snowheads) searching on Krans for weeks, but nothings been mentioned.....we have been getting more and more depressed about the lack of snow. Alex, you just made my night. We can only pray for snow cos theres nothing to write home about there, at the moment.

Fruity......
latest report
A 15 day detailed weather forecast is likely to be severely inaccurate.
snow report
Well I hope so, cos theres not a sign of a flake now on the accu weather map...... in fact, havent seen any flakes on any weather maps relating to Slovenia in weeks. Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Fruity, hey fruity, ive been skiing there for quite a few years now, we have a house in ratece, have found that february and march and even sometimes early april are the best months for skiing in KG, i have had fantastic skiing there in march, Theres no need to worry until atleast 2 weeks before you go out, and even then ,there are dozens of higher resorts within a 45 minute drive. To name a few, nassfeld, bovec, gerlitzen, tarvisio, arnoldstein, bohinj, bad kleinkirchheim, and kirchberg. Last year for example, was worse than it is now, but in mid february they had a great dump and it lasted until something like the 16th april Very Happy with good conditions. Im also off in march for the ski jumping! where abouts are you staying?

shoogly, the thick red line is the 30 year average

the grey line is the average of all the other lines

the blue line is the most probabale event......................apparently Very Happy

looks good for early february! fingers crossed! Very Happy
ski holidays
Its our first time at KG and we got a good deal at the Hotel Alpina, hubby chose cos its ski to door, which he insists on. We are travelling with our 7 yr old; it'll be his 3rd year on skis and he's better than me already.
Trouble is, we aren't driving so will be stuck in resort unless First Choice organise some days out if the snows poor!!!! We will be arriving that weekend (ski jumping) for the week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fruity, accuweather is ...er... in-accu-ratly named... Confused
ski holidays
 brian
brian
abar1990, the blue line is no longer the operational (allegedly most likely), that's now green. The blue line is a control run. I've tried without much success to find out how they produce a GFS control run but I *think* it uses a reduced set of the same data as the operational.
latest report
brian, oh ok, yep ive also been trying to find out how they produce the control run, but with no success! lol
snow conditions
Fruity, There are some good drivers around, who will willingly take you to any place if you ask in advance. Being so cheap out there, it really doesnt cost much. . I am friends with a man who works out there but also ferries us around if we need to, ill have a look for his number and if i can find it, ill post it! you just have to mention to him that you know Mr Barnett.......... Very Happy .
snow report
brian, also, what are your next predictions for early feb? it looks pretty good at the mo........
latest report
 brian
brian
abar1990, yes, looking good. Just had a look back a couple of pages and it was last Sunday I started looking at the turn of the month. It has continued to generally shape up nicely, although as you'd expect at that range the good scenarios have come and gone a bit.

However, looking at it now it would be an extreme disappointment if Scotland doesn't get at least a few days of cold and snow and it looks pretty promising for a week or more starting from next Tuesday.

The alps is trickier, we need there to be not too much of a high pressure influence hanging about the continent, but I'm pretty hopeful that from about Thursday it should definitely turn fairly cold with potential for snow events. Where these will be, how long it will last, how much snow, etc. is pure speculation at this point.
ski holidays
brian, does that mean that, potentially, there's going to be good skiing up north on the 2nd/3rd feb?
Hope so, as that's my birthday weekend Very Happy
latest report
 brian
brian
shoogly, hope so. It's thaw central today, several degrees above freezing and raining Sad

If most of the base can survive this, then it should set things up to be excellent if/when the new snow comes.
ski holidays
Here in aberdeen its a beautiful spring day, warm with blue skies Sad (though a bit blowy). Similar conditions at the skicentres (bar the wind) would make for really nice spring skiing. Unfortunately, from the web cams, cairngorm still looks grey and damp Sad
snow conditions
Tim Sawyer wrote:
So this all means that it's gonna be about -20 and a white out for my weekend 7-11 Feb Confused

Tim I'm not sure you're reading that right - the left-hand scale is temperature (and read the middle set of lines), the right-hand is mm of precipitation (read from bottom set of lines). Given that we're looking for snow rather than rain I believe we can multiply up the precipitation scale by a bit, I'm not sure how much (snow crystals pack less densely than water).

Also, it rather depends *where* your weekend is! If you're in Geneva / Portes du Soleil area those are the graphs for you. If you're in even Trois Vallées or Austria or wherever, they're not so relevant! (And even so they cover a very large region; expect serious local variations).
snow report
 brian
brian
Chart of the day. Very Happy (Hint to the non-weather obsessed - follow the lines, isobars, back from the alps to see where the air is coming from*) wink

* ok I know, wind doesn't actually flow exactly on isobars, it's only an approximation.
snow report
brian,

I take it blue means cold. UK looking pretty good as well then?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy