Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
carled, it needs to stay for us Saalbachers this weekend
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smokin Joe, If that peak stays and comes off then you'll be skiing a few feet UNDER the top layer of powder unless you're exceptionally tall and/or buoyant... It's a glitch...
snow report
 brian
brian
carled, Laughing

Anyway, back to the interesting things just might be afoot for the turn of the month train of thought. Miles out so things are coming and going but for a good example of the possibilities ... here's ECM at T+240

The low to the north of Scotland is a powerful looking fella pulling in some polar air and would dump all over Scotland in true white out and blizzards style. That's as far as ECM goes, but *if* we could get to there, I'm pretty sure it would be strong enough to blast that ridge of high pressure sticking out over France and ... Cool

Of course the odds are it'll come to nothing but thought you might be interested. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
carled wrote:
Smokin Joe, If that peak stays and comes off then you'll be skiing a few feet UNDER the top layer of powder unless you're exceptionally tall and/or buoyant... It's a glitch...

I guessed so - when is the next run due ?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Smokin Joe, the charts will start to update from about 9.30pm. The ensemble chart won't be up till about midnight though.

The operational runs at a higher resolution, so does sometimes pick things up first, but the odds are it will be at least scaled down and don't be too heartbroken if it disappears !

Last edited by brian on Mon 21-01-08 22:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, keep these great posts coming !

Is there "any" chance that the 26th/27th "spike" could shift south and hit the French Alps? Tignes specifically?!!!? Please...?!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Puzzled
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Alex A, a very slight one, you'd need the HP centred over the west coast of France to shift itself West a couple of hundred miles.

Unfortunately for you, almost all of the ensembles have it a bit further East, here's the ensemble average plotted out:

Looks a little further east on UKMO and ECM as well, so the GFS is really out on a limb with this one !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, thanks Brian....I suppose I can but hope wink I'd settle for something approaching 20cm tomorrow and another freshen up during my week. That big system looks miles away. Fingers crossed though. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well it was a blisteringly hot day out here today, quite gloriously enjoyable, with plenty of great snow. And gonna get cold and snow tomorrow. All the forecasts agree. This is just a fantastic winter so far.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
carled, how would you like your custard ? wink Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
About a metre for the Arlberg on that run ! Shocked

Freezing level 1000m or thereabouts, snowline could be as low as 6-700. Wonder if it'll still be there in the morning ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't even joke about evil things like egg custard... Just watch and wait whilst the weather gods shove the whole caboodle off to the west, chucking down unforeseen amounts of snow across the stranger regions of eastern europe leaving warm and dry air over the alps...
latest report
 brian
brian
carled, it's on the 18z therefore it has survived "beyond this run". Custard time !

Smokin Joe, a good 60cm+ for Saalbach.

Still think it's odds on to be scaled back considerably but you never know ....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brian are you saying that my 40cm mentioned earlier still a possibility......and maybe not to fall as rain........

PS thanks for that chart you referred me to - the temps on it were encouraging for a low resort like Niederau

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carled,

don't worry - you just forecast me some snow on the 27th - if it comes I will promise to eat eat all of your egg custard for ever !!!!
ski holidays
It's chucking it down here, at 1500m. Was still warm at bed time last night, started sleeting some time in the night but now just below freezing and probably dropping. Windy. It has already dumped more than snow-forecast suggested for the whole day and if it carries on like this I will need to get out into the garage and put the chains on, in the dry, before heading to Geneva later. I shall do so with pleasure. snowHead Am waiting for that lovely orange flashing light which indicates that the plough is out there making my life easiser.
ski holidays
pam w, As you say, really chucked it down earlier, although clearing a bit. Here in Peisey village its rain though at 1200m. Glad to here its fresh higher up, although it will be heavy. Windy as well
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buggeration... Crying or Very sad

Managed two spoonfuls of humble egg custard this morning from what the wife made the girls last night. They all looked at me as if I was utterly mad... "you don't like egg custard!" "Yeah, just thought I'd give it another try..." bleurgh... God, it's foul...

Oh well, looking on the bright side, it's a darned good reason for having to eat it! Going green

parallel lines, well, the spike is on your chart (lower, but still there: http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_1348_ens.png ) so you can't fail to get snow quite low down from that. With the cooling effect of that much rain, almost certain to get snow down to resort level.

Will still be interesting to see if it all tries to creep Eastwards or Westwards...
snow report
brian wrote:
carled, it's on the 18z therefore it has survived "beyond this run". Custard time !

Smokin Joe, a good 60cm+ for Saalbach.

Still think it's odds on to be scaled back considerably but you never know ....

I'm off to M&S to buy a large Egg Custard for Carled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carled, At least your not a Cowardly Cowardly Custard!!! when it comes to your predictions wink
latest report
Do the latest runs have the cold and wet fronts pushing slightly more to the west to wards the northern french alps from thurs 31st onwards ,I do hope so as I am off to Meribel that day.
Too early I know ,but it has improved over the last couple of runs as before they seemed to be blocked by a wall of high pressure ,pushing everything in a more north easterly direction.Am I reading this correctly?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Latest runs have about 25-30cm of now in the Tarantaise on Sat / Sun night !!! (26th/27th)....

That would be my dream come true ! Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Alex A, I fear too many mountains in the way before it gets there. My reading of that run is it wouldn't be that much that far south. The lump of precip did push in to France though, so a step in your direction.
snow report
brian wrote:
Alex A, I fear too many mountains in the way before it gets there. My reading of that run is it wouldn't be that much that far south. The lump of precip did push in to France though, so a step in your direction.

As you say..a step in the right direction Very Happy ever the optomist me !

Can you explain why J2SKI as an example has 4cm forecast for Les menuires and 27cm for Val Thorens ? That must be a mistake they are in the same valley ! Same with La Plagne and Les Arcs...one has lots and one 4cm....also Tignes says 4cm and Saint Foy 27cm !! Must be a mistake....ie the 27cm is wrong by the sounds of it?

Alex
latest report
 brian
brian
Alex A, they must be on the borderline between different gridpoints on the GFS. Sometimes the closest gridpoint isn't necessarily what you want for a location however, eg. Courmayeur is very close to Argentiere (where the 46N 7E gridpoint is) but thanks to Mont Blanc being in the way, has very different weather.

If they're using the 1 degree gridpoints then it's quite possible they could be a long way out.

Anyway, just looked at the 12z and bad news for France and Switzerland, the precip moved to Austria only.

A localised blob like this is a nightmare for the automated forecast sites because they look bloody stupid yo-yoing between 50cm, oops no that's 10cm ... actually 80cm .... oh well, dry after all.

I think the latest is in line with ECM and UKMO, so I think the more likely scenario. If only carled had said 24 hours for his custard wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alex A,

Quote:

Latest runs have about 25-30cm of now in the Tarantaise on Sat / Sun night !!! (26th/27th)....

That would be my dream come true !

Me to - were off to les Arcs on Sat night and current forecasts Im looking at say it getting hotter with no snow Sad
ski holidays
I note that the damn great spike has utterly vanished from Brian's chart posted at the bottom of the previous page... Just too late for me and that horrible gunge I ate this morning... bleh!

What's that? Where's it gone? No idea... Stupid weather.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh and to those people that ask why "site x" shows xcm in one location when "site y" shows 30cm or "site z" shows nothing at all... it's simply down (in the main) to when they update their forecasts! If each site is using a different GFS run then they are all showing forecasts derived from different data! Hardly surprising therefore that their snow amounts don't coincide!

Trust me... not ONE of them knows for sure how much snow will fall and microscopic changes at the last minute can provide huge local variations. You aren't missing out because you're looking at the wrong site... the "right site" just doesn't exist. If anyone does get it right, it's utter coincidence beyond anything general in the extreme. Read the "Beginners guide to gfs forecasting" thread for more information and stop flapping! This time last year it was much, much, MUCH worse...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, Rubbish ! It's awful, there is no snow, there hasn't been any snow .. and I can forecast PRECISELY how much will fall 0 Cms

,,,, and its snowing again Twisted Evil
snow report
carled, me not flapping I can assure you !! I just live in optomistic hope that my hard earned money has the best rewards. Also I find my problem is that having done multiple ski seasons and now just getting in my two weeks a year on holiday I realise how spoilt i've been in the past skiing 6 months of every year. So 7 days at a time seem so little and often you draw a blank. Nothing beats doing a season to be chilled about conditions as you know if its not great for a couple of weeks you'll be there when its great again the week after ! My philosophy wbout next week when i'm going is that today's refresh was a blessing and i'm looking forward to being in the mountains in the sun, getting a tan and having great food with great mates ! Very Happy No matter what the conditions i'll find some good stuff Very Happy
snow report
Brian, Carled

I reckon this snow watching is addictive - I don't know what I will do with all the spare time after my holiday (maybe book another Toofy Grin )

I now seem to be spending about three hours a day on these damned web sites - even though I know there is plenty of snow on the pistes, the temps are nice and cold, new snow fell today and more is forecast over the weekend - I can't seem to stop myself "just having another look".

I can even see myself on holiday in the hotel lobby trying to get on the internet to see 'the latest'.

How do you get rid of this meteorology, climatology, chart watching, forecasting, addiction ?

Or am I doomed to spend 3 months doing this every time I book the winter trip ? rolling eyes
ski holidays
It didn't seem to snow as low as forecast today - just rain, or very sleety stuff, below around 1350m round here. A good fall up higher, though.
snow report
Alex A wrote:
carled, me not flapping I can assure you !! I just live in optomistic hope that my hard earned money has the best rewards. Also I find my problem is that having done multiple ski seasons and now just getting in my two weeks a year on holiday I realise how spoilt i've been in the past skiing 6 months of every year. So 7 days at a time seem so little and often you draw a blank. Nothing beats doing a season to be chilled about conditions as you know if its not great for a couple of weeks you'll be there when its great again the week after ! My philosophy wbout next week when i'm going is that today's refresh was a blessing and i'm looking forward to being in the mountains in the sun, getting a tan and having great food with great mates ! Very Happy No matter what the conditions i'll find some good stuff Very Happy

Now that's the right attitude. Have a great week!
latest report
parallel lines, we're all DOOMED, DOOMED I tell ye! Never mind the forecasts. Remember what conditions were like last year. And in the words of the milk snatcher -REJOICE

(Thinks - Where would I rather be this weekend - Birmingham with rain and grey, grey, skies - or in the Alps skiing at the foot of the Eiger Oh yes! I remember> I will be in Switzerland this weekend (Smug, smug)
ski holidays
Brian T wrote:
parallel lines, we're all DOOMED, DOOMED I tell ye! Never mind the forecasts. Remember what conditions were like last year. And in the words of the milk snatcher -REJOICE

(Thinks - Where would I rather be this weekend - Birmingham with rain and grey, grey, skies - or in the Alps skiing at the foot of the Eiger Oh yes! I remember> I will be in Switzerland this weekend (Smug, smug)
It was certainly poor last year - like trying to ski on concrete - not good for anyone of my limited ability !! Sad

I am also very happy to be flying out on Saturday with the current conditions.

I am grateful for the expert advice received on this thread.......................................................

BUT... how do I cure my urges to constantly look at the intrnet for the very latest, most up to date, just changed snow report Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
parallel lines, simple answer...you can't Laughing Laughing Like you say it is addictive. I'm out there on Friday and come snow, sun, rain or hell fire I am damn certain I am going to have a nice time! Very Happy
snow report
Shouldn't really admit this but I did check the GFS sites when I was in Morzine last Feb. Got to say although the resort was not particualrly picturesque and the horses grazing on the south facing slopes a bit sureal we had some fab ski-ing. Would just love to have some powder days this year......18 more sleeps!
snow conditions
Sunshine and clear skies at Whistler, but looks like snow is on the way again as of this weekend
latest report
The latest runs are starting to look promising for the first week of Feb, colder temps and some good old 'Niederschlag' consistently throughout the week.
It will probably fizzle out as most fronts seem to have done of late but heres hoping,especially as I am out to Meribel for a few days at back end of next week.
Next hopecast update later this evening wink
snow report
 brian
brian
hedley, as I have been saying recently, there is considerable promise starting from around the turn of the month. Might come to nothing or fizzle out damp squib style but a good space to watch nonetheless !

All of the big 3 show a big retrogression of high pressure into the N atlantic at about T+144 from which good things may flow (from the North !)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy