Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
It's all pretty self-explanatory from all the charts above. A sprinkling of snow around the 21st/22nd then another temperature rise that lasts until pretty much the start of March... then we have increasing uncertainty for the temps after that. Very little model agreement, some stay warm, some go cooler, some go sibierian. GFS is usually good at spotting trends... unfortunately it's normally good at spotting warming trends for some weird reason and can overcook cold spells dramatically (see the Big Freeze that never was in the UK a few weeks ago for evidence of that) so I've a feeling that it'll be middlingly cool for the start of March, certainly seasonal averages or slightly below, which can't be sniffed at.

Of course with the uncertainty over temperatures and the various machinations of warm and cold fronts all over the place, there's also considerable disagreement about amounts and frequency of precipitation. The bugger is that the precipitation that looks like falling in the last week of Feb is in warm-ish temps, so my gut feeling is snow/rain border of between 2000 and 2500 metres during the warmer spells, I'm afraid.

If the cold wins out on the battle early March then there should be some decent accumulations down to 1000-ish metres or thereabouts. I am a little concerned for the lower slopes throughout the last part of Feb if the rain falls heavily in warm temps. Time will tell...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carled,
Quote:

The bug is that the precipitation that looks like falling in the last week of Feb is in warm-ish temps, so my gut feeling is snow/rain border of between 2000 and 2500 metres during the warmer spells, I'm afraid.

Sobs Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carled wrote:
Of course with the uncertainty over temperatures and the various machinations of warm and cold fronts all over the place, there's also considerable disagreement about amounts and frequency of precipitation.

Don't sob just yet, the models are in disagreement over both temps and precipitation as Carled says, keep watching and cross those fingers! It could get warmer, it could get colder.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

It could get warmer, it could get colder.....

kitenski, you could just be right!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
is it to far to look at what is happening first week of march. are we expecting snow, cold weather, sun. for tignes this is. am off there on the 2nd and was oping for some fresh snow to play in any chance.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
benpudney wrote:
is it to far to look at what is happening first week of march..

yes...

but GFS is looking like a temp drop and maybe some precipitation......

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 19-02-08 15:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

keep watching and cross those fingers

Oh, believe me, I am... snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last week in Feb in Engelberg looking decidedly warm for my liking. Any predictions oh wise one? wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skithighs wrote:
Last week in Feb in Engelberg looking decidedly warm for my liking. Any predictions oh wise one? wink

What? Apart from the one about 7 posts up there ^^^ ?

No.

But then you're probably talking to Brian and not me so... butting out now.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skithighs, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead and congratulations on tweaking a wise one's tail on your first post! Laughing

A careful examination of the thread will enable you to glean vital information....including....

don't ask questions about any specific location

don't ask detailed questions about any time period more than a few days out (unless we're stuck in a high like now)

don't enter into any technical discussion without studying meteorology to an appropriate level.

However, the above don't aply if you are lucky enough to hit a window when the combination of tranquilisers and kind words from nursie mean that all is well with the world. I think this sometimes happens on Mondays. wink snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kewhoward, Laughing Laughing

Welcome to snowHeads skithighs snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am out in Engleberg from the 29th Feb, so will hold off on any predictions just yet skithighs....

I have (sadly) got the GFS and a webcam up on one of my webpages so I can quickly check the latest situation...

http://www.gregh.co.uk/php/gfsruns.php?select=Engelberg

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kewhoward, you are being a trifle unhelpful. Advice to read recent posts carefully to avoid wasting everybody's time is sound, though. The resident experts on this thread often provide very helpful thoughts about specific locations - though not for weeks ahead, naturally, and not immediately after a more general synopsis which stresses the extreme uncertainty about the general synopsis. They don't expect us to study meteorology either, though they do expect us to know the difference between meteorology and astrology. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kewhoward, Miaow .. was it Carled or Brian deflated your personal bubble ? snowHead

-It's warming up a bit -- Crying or Very sad
-Disagree with the man about rain/snow levels when it 'rains' .... I suspect 500m lower ( which is a lot) ....
-Current conditions are magic here
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Embarassed

Didn't mean to waste anyone's time honestly...especially those of you smart enough to understand those graphs!

kitenski, thanks for the link! See you out Smile there maybe!
ski holidays
skithighs, You wasted noone's time .. this site is full of folks who look to do that for themselves willingly! Welcome to snowHead ..stick around !
ski holidays
pam w, Agenterre, For the avoidance of doubt - I am a big fan of this thread and it has cured me of my obsession with commercial weather sites. I probably should have used a few more wink 's and snowHead 's. I was also shamelessly plagiarising.....

Agenterre wrote:
kewhoward, Alas Thursday is the only day that carled, is allowed off the medication by nursey. He is however allowed a walk in the garden with his 'sock-puppet' Brian on a Monday morning ... just don't expect any sense without the tablets!

Certainly I don't want to offend anybody - not Carled, Brain (sic) and least of all Skithighs.

And I'm resisting to ask about Les Arcs 2000 on Easter Monday cos that wouldn't be funny

snowHead snowHead snowHead

And thanks Cathy wink snowHead
latest report
kewhoward, I know .. and why you got that response wink snowHead Enjoy !!
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
kewhoward, Miaow .. was it Carled or Brian deflated your personal bubble ? snowHead

-It's warming up a bit -- Crying or Very sad
-Disagree with the man about rain/snow levels when it 'rains' .... I suspect 500m lower ( which is a lot) ....
-Current conditions are magic here

I started off 500m lower and then in a fit of realism upped them! I reasoned that if it was better than predicted and I had gone for the gloomier option then people would be happy at the snow lower down. I'm relatively happy with my prediction still unless it's very still and calm (i.e. no wind bringing in warmer air) as that will allow the cooling effect of the rain itself to drop the f/l down a bit. This doesn't work well in windy conditions if the wind is from a warm source though!

Edited to say that the 06z run is a bit more hopeful and sees the temps a bit lower in early March. Long may the trend continue... snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 19-02-08 18:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks Agenterre, can't wait. Too far away. By the way its minus 3, foggy and still ver' ver' flat here in York. Would advise tree lined skiing only Laughing
latest report
carled, I cant see the winds ... I had predicted a warming here 3 days ago .. I was at least 3 days too early .. hopefully that means GFS ( and yhe real thing) continues from there ... but still cant see it being 'A Big Snowfall' ..

I still have loads to learn about this alpine stuff Embarassed
snow report
hmm, 12z has a crazy split of temps at the beginning of March from about -15 to +4, so it's all very much still up in the air, so to speak Smile
snow report
LOL. Gotta love the 12z's control-run for the end of Feb, start of March... Hmm, how best to express it...?

ski holidays
Laughing Laughing wheeeeee!!!!! I'll go with that - out on 8 March snowHead
snow report
Agenterre, Looking back I don't see you prediction of "warming 3 days ago" perhaps you were looking at mine. Never mind - good news - It will snow at the turn of the month. Could be big. Very Happy
snow report
carled, your skiing snowman seems to be on the green nursery haptlauft run, rather than the blue kontroll-lauf run which could be patchy and possibly icy due to the lack of precipitation. Laughing still he looks much improved from his earlier state

i hope that the temp follows the blue forecast, and the precip follows the green, but might that be a bit hopeful? NehNeh

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 19-02-08 22:19; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
P10DW, May have been on my Gstaad thread ( or in my head !!) ... but I do get it wrong usually !
snow report
carled, Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, that is the first time i've truely understood exactly what lines mean what! Laughing Laughing good effort, now lets cross everything and hope it happens
(oh and incidentally --------- its just before the new moon----------ducks and runs!!!! Very Happy )
snow report
carled, Laughing
ski holidays
Carled.........wow. Can I have one of those for Slovenia pretty, pretty please????????? same time scale..... and you can melt my snowman too???? wink snowHead
snow report
snowangel. wrote:
carled, that is the first time i've truely understood exactly what lines mean what! Laughing Laughing good effort, now lets cross everything and hope it happens
(oh and incidentally --------- its just before the new moon----------ducks and runs!!!! Very Happy )

ahem...
ski holidays
Fruity wrote:
Carled.........wow. Can I have one of those for Slovenia pretty, pretty please????????? same time scale..... and you can melt my snowman too???? wink snowHead

Hmm... let's see... Kranjska Gora, is it?

Looks like too much moon juice for the control run to me...

latest report
carled, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
carled, now I thought the red line was the 30 year average... the red lines above seem to be all over the place.... where will the giant snowman be falling?
ski holidays
ah, that's where you're going wrong. The orange line (Red? are you colour-blind?) is the little-known "snowman meridian" available only to advanced GFS analysts.
snow report
carled, firstly yes I am (well so my friends tell me when cacking it at the top of a black), secondly, it does now become clear... this must explain why it only appears on some of the runs featured on snowHead

These weather people think of everything don't they Wink
snow conditions
is there any precipitation within that forecast my dear Carled????? I'm getting better at reading this sort of stuff thanks to you guys, but the wigglies are still confusing me Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
carled, Laughing Even I can understand you explanatory additions.
snow report
Fruity, the bottom set of wigglies shows precipitation - if the top set of wigglies is too high it might fall as rain but that dark blue line on your chart for the later period would suggest its going to be cold so the bottom set of wigglies could well be snow snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy