Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you always wear your helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
abc wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
abc, so the best way to reduce the accident rate would be to require car manufacturers to install a foot-long spike in the middle of evey steering wheel. Laughing

It has been suggested. Very Happy

Note though, it would NOT reduce the DEATH rate.

O YES it WOULD, but among cyclists and pedestrians.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob wrote:
abc wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
abc, so the best way to reduce the accident rate would be to require car manufacturers to install a foot-long spike in the middle of evey steering wheel. Laughing

It has been suggested. Very Happy

Note though, it would NOT reduce the DEATH rate.

O YES it WOULD, but among cyclists and pedestrians.

Mmm...I'm not so sure. With the driver reluctunt to break, wouldn't the death rate amounst cyclist and pedestrians INCREASE instead? Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer wrote:
I'm still not convinced how much safer it actually makes me though.
Kramer, I don't think you have this quite right.
You were dangerous enough before. Now, with a large solid object on the top of your head, I would reckon you even more dangerous. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonpim, For some reason that comment made me think of viking helmets with horns on top!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmaah wrote:
skier88 wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
...I usually leave the helmet unstrapped when I'm cruising and strap it in when I'm doing jumps or going off-piste as the straps a bit too short :/

I suspect it's pretty much assured that it'd fall off if you fell, so you might just as well not be wearing it when cruising! Get one with longer straps! wink

You do realize you can tighten helmets in other ways right? Wink ...

Umm...no. At least not in any way that would stop one coming off in a fall. Unless you count carpet glue. You can of course adjust their fit - a different thing entirely.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear a Dainese Fun helmet all the time when skiing, it's not woth removing on the slopes, there's loads of time for that when on the lifts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skier88 wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
skier88 wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
...I usually leave the helmet unstrapped when I'm cruising and strap it in when I'm doing jumps or going off-piste as the straps a bit too short :/

I suspect it's pretty much assured that it'd fall off if you fell, so you might just as well not be wearing it when cruising! Get one with longer straps! wink

Umm...no. At least not in any way that would stop one coming off in a fall. Unless you count carpet glue. You can of course adjust their fit - a different thing entirely.

You adjust their fit how? By tightening the thing in the back. rolling eyes Besides.. I don't remember the last time i fell down on-piste so I think I'll take the risk of the helmet bobbing down the slope as it falls off my head after the head has had impact with the ground.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You adjust their fit how? By tightening the thing in the back.

So why not leave the thing tighten (in the back or under the chin)? Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob, abc, skier88, Timmaah, why this habit of repeating all the previous thread with every post?
Is it only me that finds this annoying?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim,
Quote:

No
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always wear my helmet, and goggles, when out in heavy snow clearing the paths. The helmet keeps my hair dry and the goggles enable me to see.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing

This reminds me of an occasion on which my mother decided that wearing my swimming goggles while chopping onions might prevent her eyes watering. Some unfortunate bloke rang the doorbell when she was mid-onion and was confronted by a woman wearing goggles and holding a large knife.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, I do leave the thing tightened in the back, that's what I've been saying!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skier88 wrote:
Lizzard, classic quote, courtesy of Clarkson! Very Happy

Actually he plagiarised it himself.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim wrote:
Kramer wrote:
I'm still not convinced how much safer it actually makes me though.
Kramer, I don't think you have this quite right.
You were dangerous enough before. Now, with a large solid object on the top of your head, I would reckon you even more dangerous. Toofy Grin

A fair point, well made. Laughing
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
jbob, abc, skier88, Timmaah, why this habit of repeating all the previous thread with every post?

What do you mean "all"? I only quoted the relevent part ("...helmet can be tighten in the back...") and left out all the rest... Puzzled
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:

You should really post it in the 'Grumpy Old Snowheads' thread then. I hate it when people post in the wrong place.
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
...so I think I'll take the risk of the helmet bobbing down the slope as it falls off my head after the head has had impact with the ground.

Yeah, good luck with that. Or you could just buy a helmet which you could strap up - or is it that you think it's somehow cool to be seen with it unstrapped, like the GIs used to do in war movies? rolling eyes
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
skier88 wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
skier88 wrote:
Timmaah wrote:

You adjust their fit how? By tightening the thing in the back. rolling eyes Besides.. I don't remember the last time i fell down on-piste so I think I'll take the risk of the helmet bobbing down the slope as it falls off my head after the head has had impact with the ground.

Quite possibly. wink
snow conditions
skier88, you are a very naughty boy! No cookies for you today!
(and I bet you're a girl after all . . . . Confused )
snow report
Quote:

don't remember the last time i fell down on-piste so I think I'll take the risk of the helmet bobbing down the slope as it falls off my head after the head has had impact with the ground

Timmaah, I am guessing you are young with a comment like and if I'm right the arrogance of youth is startling....
snow report
skimottaret, so it has always been. I bet you were the same
I know I was. Smile
ski holidays
Jonpim, I definately was (and still am a bit judging by last weeks adventure hence the post), but i guess being an "old guy" now with quite a few war wounds from skateboarding, motorcross, etc my perspective has changed. Just happy that i have only had one accident with long term consequences....
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing

This reminds me of an occasion on which my mother decided that wearing my swimming goggles while chopping onions might prevent her eyes watering. Some unfortunate bloke rang the doorbell when she was mid-onion and was confronted by a woman wearing goggles and holding a large knife.

that story made me chuckle! Very Happy
snow report
skier88, Very Happy wtf? Yes, the attire I wear is to look cool and look like some GI soldier. rolling eyes

skimottaret, To answer your question... yes, if you count 19 as young.
snow conditions
skimottaret, I wear a bern helmet,with built in music ,looks cool has far has helmets go but there is one thing all you skiers and boarders should remember .if you remember what im about to right ,you all might think twice about not wearing a lid .WHATS MORE COOL,WEARING A HELMET,OR WEARING A BEANIE IN A WHEEL CHAIR WITH YOUR BEST MATE PUSHING YOU AROUND ,BECAUSE YOU HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE. Puzzled
latest report
chris boarder, so everyone who doesn't wear a helmet is guaranteed to end up in a wheelchair?
snow report
chris boarder wrote:
skimottaret, I wear a bern helmet,with built in music ,looks cool has far has helmets go but there is one thing all you skiers and boarders should remember .if you remember what im about to right ,you all might think twice about not wearing a lid .WHATS MORE COOL,WEARING A HELMET,OR WEARING A BEANIE IN A WHEEL CHAIR WITH YOUR BEST MATE PUSHING YOU AROUND ,BECAUSE YOU HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE. Puzzled

With that much brain, it doesn't need protecting... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chris boarder, Was that before or after you'd been boarding? Laughing
ski holidays
I wore a ski helmet for the first time last season. Actually found it more comfortable than a hat.
Also wear a helmet all the time when mountain biking. Open face for regular XC, full face for rocky technical trails and downhill.
I wouldn't really expect these things to save my life in a huge shunt, but I do expect them to save me a few nasty cuts and bruises like those in your original post. Mountain bike helmets have certainly saved me plenty of trips to A&E
snow conditions
I must confess to even keeping my helmet on when I'm doing the kilometre+ long sledging runs that these places all seem to have - at the speed I normally ski I think sledging is possibly the more dangerous occupation - I hope I'm allowed to confess to enjoying sledging as well.
ski holidays
Helmet update, the guy at the shop said i couldn't be too careful and i went with the latest "safety first" double helmet......

snow report
How comfortable is the POC? Glad to see you got a chin guard as well.
ski holidays
rob@rar, very, but it is real tight as i am a 58 head and the large I went with is sized at 57/58, the next one up was 59/60. I doubt i would be able to wear it all day freeskiing as it doesnt have any vents but for training should be the business.

it doesnt hardly move on my head but the chin strap is tightly tucked under the chin (a good thing)

Are you investing in one as well? from your report i thought you had a guarded helmet... if so make sure you can do up the chin strap as there isnt a lot of adjustment in the lenght and i am at the limit.
ski holidays
Yes I'm also getting one from Spyderman. I have a lightweight slalom helmet with a guard which I'll keep in the UK for dryslopes, but I've been looking for a new helmet as the one I currently have is very uncomfortable. I tried the POC on in 47 Degrees and it fitted nicely, and it's useful that it can also be itted with a chinguard.
ski holidays
skimottaret, That's a very fine Helmet you're modeling there. Very Happy

With the swelling on your head at the moment, it might give you a bit more room when your head gets back to normal. As the POC relies on the outer shell for it's protection, rather than loads of polystyrene like other Helmets, you hopefully shouldn't find it too hot, even though it can't have any vents, to comply with FIS rules.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 13-11-07 9:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I'm not an FIS officianado (sp?) why can't the helmets have vents in them under their rules?
snow report
Megamum, This is the FIS rule:

Crash helmets
The use of crash helmets is compulsory for all events.
Only helmets are permitted whose shell and padding cover the head and
ears. The National Ski Associations are advised to provide their teams
only with crash helmets which satisfy the minimum requirements for the
respective event and which have been certified by recognised institutes.
Helmets with spoilers or edges that stick out are not permitted.
Certain helmets must show a smooth top surface for safety reasons.
Helmets used in FIS Snowsports shall be specifically designed and
manufactured for the respective discipline and shall bear a CE mark and
conform to recognized and appropriate standards such as CEE 1077 or
US 2040, ASTM F2040, SNELL S98 or RS 98, etc.
Soft ear protections are only allowed for SL events.
snow conditions
Spyderman, Yeah i am real happy with it, thanks for sorting it out for me... rob@rar, It also comes with the most camp, poncy carry container I have ever seen. Laughing

Quote:
when your head gets back to normal

It has been a few years now since my head has been "normal" so I wont hold my breath... If my ribs are up to it i may give it a proper go on thursday in the gates and put a few dents and scratches on it. Toofy Grin
latest report
skimottaret,
Quote:
It also comes with the most camp, poncy carry container I have ever seen.

That was especially for you and rob@rar, wink Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy