Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flims Laax snow report 2007-2008

Poster: A snowHead
We arrived in Laax on Friday night to find over 50 cm of snow surrounding the apartment at 1100 m. About half the mountain is open, main uplift is from Flims until the first weekend of December, but the Laax cable car is running today because the black valley run is open - handy for us then! Conditions are amazing for mid November - feels more like the end of January (both temp and quality of snow). Unfortunately the card reader down here doesn't want to work on the laptop so will have to wait until this eve or tomorrow to post some pics.
latest report
 brian
brian
eng_ch, sounds brilliant Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's amazing how quickly you can go off some people........where's the green eyed smilie? Going green
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh I forgot to say - they've opened the new red valley run to Flims (bet they didn't expect to be able to do that on the first weekend, even though it has cannons all the way down) and it's glorious, beautiful tree-lined run, reminiscent of Folyères down to La Tania
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eng_ch, does that follow a similar route to a black that did the same?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hobbiteater, mostly I think
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK, pics as promised. This is what we woke up to outside the flat at 1100m on Saturday morning:

And this was the (as yet non-operational) nursery slope at the same altitude:

These were taken at Nagens mid-afternoon:

And this is the new red valley run to Flims (no. 18, Stretg), taken by a friend as his pics were better than mine.

In the morning:

and late afternoon:

ski holidays
 brian
brian
eng_ch, wow Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow as well!!! Great pictures, can't wait to be there! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, Going green Going green Going green

Fantastic photos - love them snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch, it looks fantastic !!! Going green Going green
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
great pictures.....

nice place..... Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cool pics.

All-white mountains from top to bottom in mid-Nov. It is a vintage start to the season in many places.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch, looks good Very Happy , I have a flight to Zurich on 1st Dec for a week and deciding on a resort, is the temperature and freezing level low enough at the moment for the snow to remain??, is everything open by 1st Dec??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, bit warmer this week, but still whitish here at 640m. Too early to say for 1 Dec but since 70% of the area is over 2000m, it tends to be reasonably reliable. Full season isn't due to open until 15th Dec so best to keep an eye on the web site.
ski holidays
great photo;'s

i like laax, was there for the brits with my boy a few years back great resort
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Almost certainly not going down this weekend. The sky is incredibly dark here at home, has been like dusk all day, and web cams show a white out. Plus I have a load of work to catch up on from the beginning of the week. So no report from me this weekend, I'm afraid, except to say there's nothing to see in Laax anyway
snow report
It's been snowing hard in Laax for the last approx. 24 hours, but all the lifts are closed so far today due to high winds
snow conditions
Spent the weekend in Laax in simply perfect conditions, blue-sky days, fluffy powder, perfect pistes....

A few impressions here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/skilaax/LaaxMidDecember2007/photo#s5144920323427095362
latest report
eng_ch, Great pictures, althought fo rme and many snowHead any snow pics look great! Was nearly going to Laax for New Year but couldn't find accommodation, going to Val Gardena now but they need some of that snow you have.
ski holidays
Peter Ross, I think the hotels get booked up quite quickly, but the online apartment finder is usually pretty good and can handle non-standard stays too. Our place should be listed on there, but we're using it ourselves for new year
ski holidays
Quote:
BTW I'll take your 8 1/2 hours and raise you 7 3/4 Calais to Richti Burger King Wink

7:20 by the Reims - Bar Le Duc - Nancy - Epinal - Mulhouse route Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nessy, cutting totally across country? OK, I fold! Laughing
ski holidays
eng_ch, nice pictures.
snow report
nessy,

I have done that route..more by luck than judgement as I ignore the sat nav option and it was pretty good even though you think you are lost...sometimes.

I hate the Strasbourg/Basel route as it seems to tajke an age once you leave the French autoroutes and you get to Basel and know you still have 90mins -2 hrs to go.....Engelberg is 80 if you know where you are going.

I assume they have finshed the nonsense road works in Basel now...
snow report
JT wrote:
nessy,

I assume they have finshed the nonsense road works in Basel now...

The tunnels are all open but not full speed due to lane closures. Lane closures and reduced speeds extend on the atuobahn well out of Basel. It seems to be the Swiss way to keep the roadbuilders busy though wink. They also seem to be a lot more relaxed at customs these days as well.

Also notable is that there is a long term plan to improve the RN66 over the Col de Bussang between Epinal and Mulhouse. The dual carriageway on the Epinal side is gradually getting longer and a new stretch bypassing the village of Rupt will open very soon.

A real time saver for anybody heading South East of Zurich will be the Uetliberg tunnel opening in 2009 which will completely eliminate driving through Zurich Smile
ski holidays
Advice needed... I'm off to Flims in late Dec...

We are landing at Zurich late (21:45) on the 27th Dec. The trains are a little confusing, it seems we have to get a train from the airport to Zurich HB, then on to Chur. Do any local know if this is correct?

The other option is to hire a car, can anyone advise on if this is a good idea, are the roads clear etc? Are there any potential problems?
snow report
That is the correct route, but I don't know how late the trains run in the evening. If you're going to Flims/Laax, at Chur you can get a bus from the train station. Go up the escalator inside the station and the buses run from there; they are scheduled to coincide with the trains, so don't dilly dally on the platform!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
europa

www.sbb.ch/en

That's the site you need for pretty much all public transport timetabling/connection queries. If you wanted to hire a car, though, the journey is quicker and the roads are usually absolutely clear and could well be your best bet at that time of the evening. How long are you there for and where are you staying? There's a bit of a snowHead meet-up planned for 2nd Jan in Laax:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30695
snow report
Thanks -

- unfortunately we're leaving on the 1st
ski holidays
europa, we'll be there from prob late pm/eve of 29th if you fancy meeting up? Drop me a PM if of interest. Where are you staying btw?

There's been no new snow this week so the off piste has got very tracked out and choppy and the pistes are harder with some patches that are thinking about getting a bit icy, but still superb conditions for the time of year, all valley runs open all the way down to Flims, Laax and Falera. Lovel but delicious fare, cheese and/or meat platters all served on slabs of wood and all food from the immediate area, in fact one of the cheeses was from the cows who graze up near the glacier in the summer. Beautiful sunny terrace with stunning views over the valley.
snow conditions
Is it easy to get there from Friedricshafen?
snow report
bedfordblue, easy peasy from Fridrichehafen because the resort runs a shuttle bus door to door to meet the London and Dublin Ryanair flights. Link below:

http://www.laax.com/flash/index.php?l=en#/de/resort_info/resort_info_laax_a_z

I notice they've also started doing a Zurich airport shuttle too
latest report
We had a sprinkling of snow this morning but otherwise mostly overcast. Conditions over 2000m are excellent still, lower down is getting scraped off a bit in places, with other areas displaying piles of powder. Forecast for the next few days is for bright sun Smile
latest report
There was another sprinkling of snow overnight and it was pretty chilly today. Lower exposed slopes have some grass patches showing through off piste (still plenty of cover on piste). The blue down to Falera is getting very icy now as it is exposed. The red from Curnius to Laax has the odd icy patch but otherwise very good. Visibility again not great today (white out in places) - forecast is for sun for the rest of the week, but then it was forecast sun for today too and it never happened. Could really do with a good dump of snow to freshen everything up, but still, conditions remain excellent for the time of year
snow conditions
We were going to go up to the glacier today but it was brass monkeys at 2200m so we decided discretion was the better part of valour Embarassed Snow conditions above Curnius are lovely, below has some icy patches still. The Falera valley run was closed today. Off piste looks pretty much tracked out and in any case, the small between piste bits we've done over the last couple of days have been frozen rock hard
ski holidays
Brilliant sunshine all day today and we headed high where on piste conditions are superb and the off piste looks much more promising than lower down the mountain. Most is skied out but it doesn't look as solid as lower down. Bit icy in the shade, glorious snow in the sun. Bloody cold though!
snow conditions
eng_ch,

Thanks for a fun day yesterday, well organised - next time can we have about 10 degrees less cold by any chance??
snow report
Powderhound, I'll organise the temperature if you organise the snow dance! It was a laugh, wasn't it?
snow report
Eng_ch,
Sorry, just read your post about meeting up - unfortunately I didn't read your post before going rolling eyes

Anyway, I was at Arena Lodge for Riders... nice place, but the bass from the bloody club kept me awake most nights - not good at all. It went on till 4:30am Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy