Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got any comments on Verbier?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a trip there in January, never been before, any tips or suggestions please?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The worst lift company in the Alps, very expensive ski-pass and the queues first thing in the morning were notorious. The skiing is terrific, big area, lots of off piste and some challenging terrain. Apres ski is pretty good but expensive, Le Pub always used to be the busiest bar, the Offshore was a cool place and the Milk Bar was OK as well. Sorry, but I haven't been there for some years. There also used to be one of the best ski shops I've found anywhere, called Mountain Air run by ex-pat Aussies.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer,

I spend 3- 4 weeks a year there.

The queues are no worse than anywhere else these days, the terrian is fantastic and provides load of options depending on the conditions, have you got any more specific questions on accomodation, ski hire, travel or recomended routes etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing specific at the moment Steve, friends organising a chalet party there this year, none of us have been before, just wondering whether to go along (I had heard that it is very expensive), or try and influence their choice a bit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a long slog uphill to the Le Pub etc in the evening if your accomodation is at the end of the town away from the lifts (our chalet was right at the other end - not a problem in the morning as the ski bus stopped outside).

But there again, it's downhill all the way back snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say it really depends on your level of skiing. If you're advanced and want serious off piste challenges it's one of the best resorts. Depending on the snow conditions of course. And it's one of those resorts that's full of expert skiiers, so the power gets tracked out very quickly. Plus there's heli-skiing too. And the scenery is stunning. But if you're a good intermediate the piste variety and challenge is extremely limited. I've skied on blue runs in France that are steeper than most of the black runs in Verbier. In fact, some of the blue runs in Verbier are steeper than the black runs!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spent a couple of seasons teaching at the furthest of the 4 valleys of Verbier - Les Collons area. Fantastic and brilliant for tree skiing if there is enough snow. Well worth the trek over from Verbier.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys. I'm at a level where I'm just starting to really go for the off-piste, although I do still like challenging black runs. Guess I might have to bin the trip and head off somewhere else. Val d'Isere would seem to have the challenging off-piste, as well as the more challenging on-piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Verbier - good ski-ing but too snobby for my taste and too expensive for my pocket. Worth a go though Kramer, if you're staying in a chalet just stay in the chalet all week drinking the free wine etc.

LDA is cheaper than Val D (and not as snobby), has more off piste, and enough challenging blacks to suit most people (however a lot of the blacks are too steep to piste, even though they're marked!) snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, if friends are organising a trip to Verbier: GO! It's a great place.
All the comments here are true in a way, but the queues and snobs are no worse than anywhere else.
I've gone there with learner children, timid adults and macho maniacs. We all had a wonderful time.
And you are at just the right stage. It is ideal for those just starting to go off-piste. There are some superb "itineries" that are essentially off-piste runs within the resort. Here is Televerbier: click on the picture, and then move your mouse to just left of middle to highlight Col des Mines. A great run to start with.
But if you want some real fun, then try the Tortine Bumps (run down by the Chassoure gondola to the left of Col des Mines).
If you've got time, the Nendaz slopes are well worth exploring.
So, go with your mates: you'll have a great time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm at a level where I'm just starting to really go for the off-piste, although I do still like challenging black runs. Guess I might have to bin the trip and head off somewhere else. Val d'Isere would seem to have the challenging off-piste, as well as the more challenging on-piste.
Val is good for off-piste, I agree, but is rather short on black runs. They have a couple of very good ones and then miles and miles of motorways. Somewhere like Les Arcs, normally thought of as an intermediate resort, has many more more challenging runs. I would have thought the piste difficulty at Verbier and Val were not much different.
I love the skiing at Verbier, but I ski almost entirely off-piste.
Yes, it is a bit expensive, but the lifts are better than they used to be after replacement of lifts at some crucial bottlenecks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not sure that I would agree that Val d'Isere is short on black runs. Having tried twice to ski them all in one day, and failing, I find that there are plenty!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer,
The number of black runs in Espace Killy I think it applies mainly to Tignes has been steadily increasing over the years.

When I first went there were only a few; now there are many more. They don't seem to have increased the number of runs either just regraded a lot of reds to blacks, several years ago it would have probably been pretty straight forward to ski them in a day.

The runs themselves as blacks are probably easier than when they were reds as they bash out the moguls on them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I probably didn't register that the runs were regraded. Since I know the place well I don't tend to look at the piste map (though I sometimes look at my 1;25.00 to check off-piste intentions.
I still stick by there not being many challenging runs (such as many of those in Les Arcs).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been going to Espace Killy for a while now, and whilst they have regraded one red into a black (and vice versa), the new runs in the Tignes sector are three new "itinerary blacks" which don't get pisted at all. I've not been to Les Arcs so can't comment.
snow conditions
Definitely go to Verbier - we went as early intermediates and had a great time learning fast and having what we felt were very adventurous trips oin theitineries - a safer way to venture off piste. Its still the best resort we've skiied - lots to keep intermediates and advanced busy and we didnlt find it that expensive (and we were on tight budgets). Good piste restaurants -Chez Danni just above the medran so perfect stop off on thewway home for sundown drinks, and a super fondue place in savolyeres which I cxanlt remember the name of. The town is charming compared to most french resorts, the Farinet Bar does great apres ski (immediately apres), and ski world do some very reaosnable chalets - we stayed in Chalet Lotti for 2 years (was about £350 per person half board) and loved it - just above le Pub, ski in ski out fdown to the main medran lift and just above Le Pub in the evening. I canlt bear to see anyone missing out on Verbier - just GO!!!!!
snow report
Kramer,
I don't know if we are talking about different time periods or if my memory is going; both are possible Embarassed

I was not aware of any itinaires in Tignes. Most of my skiing there was done between 1985 and 1996 I think, though I did go for a few days in May 2000, I have skied there about 14 weeks.

When I first went there were essentially four black runs in Tignes.

1) Toviere down to Le Lac which they subsequently split into two Parquettes and Trolles the latter was made easier by bulldozing an alternative route round.

2) La Sache which was I was told originally a red run; never saw it as such myself.

3) A very short slalom run next to a tow at the bottom of the palafour sector.

4) A run from the top of the first palafour lift back down which as I recall was fairly straightforward and little skied.

Red Runs which subsequently became black were:

A red run on the glacier to a chair lift ?leisse chair

A run of the back of the Aiguille Percee called cocaine theywidened it and changed its name and made it black cannot remember what it later became called.

The south facing run from toviere towards lavachet, was red became black no real change made.

The run from the col de Ves chair they also made this easier by putting an alternative route round from the top of the chair.

Overall my impression is that they have improved the pisteing and widened several pistes. Because they have increased the number it has certainly become more difficult to ski them all in a day, it used to be possible.

I would be interested to hear which ones they have regraded to red and where they have made their itinaires as I have not been recently.

Hope you have a great holiday wherever you go, Les Arcs is great, I have only been one day to Verbier and cannot really comment on it. Wink
snow report
The first time I went down the Col de Ves run, I had to take my sunglasses off to check on the colour of the piste markers to make sure that it was a black, and not a blue!

The three new runs that were itineries (not marked, but well known) are the front face of L'Aguille Percée, the run that goes underneath the Paquis, and.......I can't quite remember the third. And I might be mistaken about the second!
ski holidays
We have skied the Verbier area for 18 years now, but never have stayed there. We prefer Haute Nendaz, which is in the same ski-circus, but cheaper than Verbier.
Interhome have lots of accommodation from which to chose and have a bookable web site. Check out http://www.nendaz.ch for ideas and photos, and the interactive piste map on the lift company site at http://www.telenendaz.ch.
We are back in Nendaz for the 11th time this coming March!! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Thanks for the tip David.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy