Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow Report 2007/2008

Poster: A snowHead
If someone plans to ski in Austria, here is the list of the resorts that open for the week-end.
You can not find this list anywhere else, collected by e-mails or phone calls to the local lift companies or in some cases information was taken from the website of the lift company.
(it was originally in my native tongue and not properly edited in English, but the name of the resorts, opening dates and the names of the operating lifts seem to be clear)

Quote:
Lower-Austria

Semmering-Hirschenkogel
nov. 16., one cabin, fourseater, Familienabfahrt, WC piste, Kogelabfahrt and Westhang

Hochkar
nov. 16., all the lifts

Lackenhof-Ötscher
nov. 15.

Upper-Austria

Hinterstoder
nov. 17.

Hochficht
nov. 17., Hochfichtbahn, Holzschlag and Rheberg lifts

Dachstein West
nov. 16.

Kasberg-Grünau
nov. 17., two cabins, Ochsenboden and Farrenau I lifts

Styria

Lammeralm
Nov. 14, all the pistes

Stuhleck
nov. 16., all the pistes

Aflenz Bürgeralm
nov. 17., all the pistes

Loser
nov. 16., Sandlings Jet and Kinder Ramsau

Murau-Kreischberg
nov. 15, the cabin and the draglifts

Lachtal
nov. 16., sixseater and the Hebertlifts

Tauplitz
nov. 17. Tauplitz I and II, Großsee és Lärchkogel lifts, Schneiderkogel, Lawinenstein, Zubringerlift Abfahrt Tauplitz

Präbichl
nov. 16.

Hauser Kaibling
nov. 17., most of the lifts

Planai

Reiteralm

Hochwurzen
For racing teams only

Turnau-Schwabenbergarena
nov. 17., Schwabenberglift I

Salzburgland

Flachau
nov. 16., Achter Jet, Star Jet 2 and 3, Space Jet 2 és 3

Gerlos
nov. 17. , Horbergbahn, Penken, Tappenalm, Lärchwald and Schneekar

Gaissau-Hintersee
nov. 16.

St Johann-Alpendorf
nov. 17., Gondelbahn, Panoramabahn, Hirschkogelbahn

Zauchensee
nov. 16., Gamskogelbahn I, Gamskogelbahn II, Schwarzwandbahn and Seekarlift

Hochkönig-Mühlbach
nov. 17., Mitterberg-Hochkeil section will be open

Werfenweng
nov. 17.

Sportgastein
nov. 17.

Saalbach
nov. 17., Schattberg X-Press I+II, Limberglift

Hinterglemm
nov. 17., Zwölferkogel I+II

Leogang
nov. 17., Asitzbahn I+II

Obertauern
nov. 16.

Zell am See - Schmittenhöhe
nov. 17., Sonnkogelbahn,
Hochmaisbahn, Osthanglift and Schmiedhoflift

Karnten

Heiligenblut
nov. 17.

Turracher Höhe
Already in operation

Tirol

Fendels
Already in operation, 2 lifts

Hochfügen
nov. 17.

Kössen
nov. 16.

Obergurgl-Hochgurgl
nov. 16., most of the lifts

Axamer-Lizum
nov. 16.

Fieberbrunn
nov. 17.

Christlum-Achenkirch
nov. 17., 3 lifts

Skiwelt
nov. 17., Wilder Kaiser-Brixental opens probably with skiing down to the valley

Hochzillertal
nov. 17., 2 cabins, 1 fourseater, 1 draglift, 40km piste. The link to Hochfügen also opens!

Kitzbühel
nov. 17., Fleckalmbahn, Doppelsesselbahn Maierl III, 6er-Sesselbahn Sonnenrast, 3er-Sesselbahn Jufenalm, 4er-Sessellift Silberstube

Vorarlberg

Warth-Schröcken
nov. 17.

Golm-Montafon
nov. 17., according to the lift company, they open as many lifts as possible

Mellau
nov. 17.

Hochjoch
nov. 17., Zamangbahn and Seebliga

Alpenarena Hochhäderich
nov. 17.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kerekip, Excellent post! I'm gonna be heading over on the 22nd until the 27th. It looks like we might get 3 or 4 days skiing, depending on whether the resorts stay open during the week.. Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kerekip, you are a true hero in the land of snow reporting snowHead ! That list is fab and really useful!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great work kerekip! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent. I shall be in one of these on Saturday and Sunday...probably Tauplitz.

Bring it on! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kerekip, Thanks for the reports, I Very Happy read them every day. I am going to Zell am See next Wed. (21st)
Looking good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which of those resorts is nearest to Salzburg airport? I arrive on saturday!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all. I try to update this list later. Feel free to add new resorts to them.

mollynmeg, The closest resorts to Salzburg Airport is listed under Salzburgland and the resorts of Ski amade (some listed in Styria).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I cannot believe Lech or St Anton haven't opened yet.

They have a phenomenal, once-in-a-generation amount of snow on their doorstep.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:

I would guess that they don't have the infrastructure ready (or in town yet) and also they wouldn't get enough skiers???
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mayhofen is also now opening early, but only on weekends: http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/homepage.html

Quote:
The season starts earlier than planned!

On 17. & 18. and on 24. & 25. November, you can do some powder runs in Mayrhofen. Up to 1.50m of fresh snow make it possible! The Horbergbahn will open its gates at 8.30 am - we plan to open the 3- person chairlift Penken, 8-person chairlift Tappenalm, 6-person chairlift Schneekar and 4-person chairlift Lärchwald.

Full opening is from the 1st December. They're not reporting snow depths on the site at the moment, but the Feratel stats are showing it as 150cm/20cm...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

I would guess that they don't have the infrastructure ready (or in town yet) and also they wouldn't get enough skiers???

I'd guess St Anton & Lech are more of a weekly ski resort than a weekend gettaway. Their customer base is much more international (lower percentage of Austrians) and those who could pop down for a weekend (Germans) are likely to visit resorts that are closer to home (e.g. Kitz, Soll etc). I expect they will open a few lifts for the locals.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:

Its not economical for huge areas like St Anton, Ischgl etc to open. The weeks right up to the day after Xmas the slopes/bars/restuarants are empty.

The trade for these mega resorts is primarily base on 1-2 week vacation tourists

One thing they do not have is the staff in place. Many of the staff come from all over Austria,Slovenia etc and probably still finishing up there summer jobs.

Just look here. The lift company is still advertising for liftmen & restaurant workers

http://www.abbag.com/index.php?id=41&L=0&PHPSESSID=8c6aef02dc436dc10bfa6d0df5164f63

They are hired to start November 30th they wouldnt hire just for a few day trippers. Becuase there are so few people before xmas Rendl doesnt even open.

THe most people your see in town at this time of the year are the ski bums looking for work but despite the snow they will not be hired until the slopes open at the very earliest

THey may open the St Christoph T-bars at the weekends leading up to 30th.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I certainly hope Lech and St Anton stay closed until 1 Dec. I'm there that weekend and I don't want all the pow to be tracked up!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yesterday's pictures Very Happy
Salzburgland 1

Salzburgland 2

This place is about one hour from Vienna
ski holidays
dingdong, Skiwelt normally only opens at weekends before official opening day as far as I know.
snow conditions
skiingfool, Thanks, Yep, looks like that alright.. Schladming looks open during the week so I think we'll be heading there...
snow report
Some good pics of recent snow in St Anton

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=5138

dingdong -off to schladming this weekend - i'll post a report early next week but looking good from the desk right now. snowHead
latest report
waynos, Excellent, thanks. Have a great time! Quick question for you. We were going to leave finding accommodation until we arrived, do you think we'd be safe enough this time of year?
snow conditions
dingdong wrote:
waynos, Excellent, thanks. Have a great time! Quick question for you. We were going to leave finding accommodation until we arrived, do you think we'd be safe enough this time of year?

Should be fine leaving it late, for this trip we've used http://schladming-appartment.at/english_index.html who seem very professional.
ski holidays
waynos, Thanks very much.. This will come in handy..
snow report
going to Bad Gastein nxt weekend. .. anyone know for sure which ski areas in the gastein valley are going to be fully operational by then ?
ski holidays
Speedster wrote:
going to Bad Gastein nxt weekend. .. anyone know for sure which ski areas in the gastein valley are going to be fully operational by then ?

Looking at the list only Sport gastein will have some lifts open.

I haven't heard any which will be fully operational . In our area the gondola and chair are going to open next weekend, and the ski area behind us will have 3 lifts open, They are also open this weekend. But i don't think all the lifts will be open until the start of the season proper on the 30th November.

Hope that helps.

Nigel
ski holidays
There are quite a few lifts opening this weekend in Obertauern if that's any use!

Following lifts will be open at the 16th of November 2007:

Grünwaldkopf 4-chair lift
Panorama 4-chair lift
Hochalm 4-chair lift
Seekarspitz 4-chair lift
Kringsalm 6-chair lift
Gamsleiten 1 6-chair lift
Zehnerkar eighth-cable car
snow report
Speedster, like djfletcher says, Sport Gastein opens 17/18 Nov and 24/25 Nov before all the valley opens on the 1st Dec. Usually only Sport Gastein opens early but according to www.skigastein.com, Dorfgastein will also be open 24/25 Nov. Sport Gastein has 250cm on the top at the moment!! snowHead snowHead

To be honest, if they're going to open up Sport Gastein at the top of the valley and Dorfgastein at the bottom, I don't know why they don't open the rest ... maybe they will. snowHead

PM me if you have any questions about Bad Gastein.

Cheers
K
snow report
djfletcher, Hi, Just looking at your webcam again and now it is dark outside there seems to be a reflection of the inside of your house . I can see you walking around etc. inside. i think its only there when you have the lights on in the room where the camera is. Its a great webcam and i am thinking of setting one up in Zell am See.
snow report
Byron Gates wrote:
djfletcher, Hi, Just looking at your webcam again and now it is dark outside there seems to be a reflection of the inside of your house . I can see you walking around etc. inside. i think its only there when you have the lights on in the room where the camera is. Its a great webcam and i am thinking of setting one up in Zell am See.

Yes you can see me- it was just me turning the webcam off!!! It is a bit dangerous since it is in our bedroom.!! Thats why i have the sound turned off!!! Shocked

By the way Bryon if you ever want to come up to our area sking give us a shout and we could meet up . If you come form maria Alm we could meet round about Dieten.

If any other snowheads come to this area it would be great to meet up especially since my wife can't ski much because she is pregnant!! Very Happy

Nigel
ski holidays
djfletcher, the other half and I will be in Dienten from Jan 18th to 22nd if you fancy some sliding around on any of those days. Will be skiing from Saturday 19th to Tuesday 22nd then back to Salzburg for about 5.30pm for the late flight back to Manchester.

Let me know if you want to join us for a day!

D
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
djfletcher, Just booked flights to Salzburg for the 23rd Nov returning on the 25th, dunno where I'm staying or how I'm getting to resort yet, but I'm sure If I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll look you up!
latest report
djfletcher, i'm planning a day in the Hochkonig area in Feb - it would be great to meet up. I'll send you a message nearer the time.

Thanks.

PS - congratualtions by the way!
latest report
Joydivision - just tried to pm you, our lifts are open that weekend, contact us if you're interested in having a room here.

Nigel
snow report
Off to Kaprun / Kitzenhorn and Zell am See tomorrow back late on Sunday. Looking to carve up some Pow Wow. Part of Zell is open. Weather also looks like it is going to clear up for some Blue Sky Powder days.
ski holidays
Anybody know how much snow Obertauern picked up in the last storm?
latest report
j, at the moment 120/180cm.
snow report
I don't like the look of the forecasts for next week especially the one from serfaus as it mentions a Chinook-like wind. anyone know how long the warm spell is due to last?
latest report
j, check out http://www.obertauern.com/ and click on the English/winter link, the webcams are showing skiers on the runs now, snow depth 130/190
snow report
djfletcher, Sorry, no PM recieved. I drop you a PM when I know my requirements. My sister has called today and said that her and her fella may also be interested in coming, so I'm waiting onm them at the moment.

Whats all this about these warm winds? all this snow can't melt in the next week or so!.....Can it??? Shocked
ski holidays
Hi ,

Thanks for your responses.

Deliaskis and Kersh it would be lovely to ski with you , so thank you for the offer.If you can give me a ring or send me an e-mail nearer the time and then we can arrange to meet up.

joydivision just lets us know whats happening and we will try and help you as much as we can.

Nigel
latest report
Thanks for the info. It looks great. I'm currently basking in the Arizona sun so all this looks very appealing. I'll be there in 3 weeks so I hope all the snow doesn't melt.
Did anybody ski Austria this weekend?
snow conditions
j, I did, in Tauplitz.

Here's a photo - I was having fun... Toofy Grin

http://lh6.google.com/matt.dreier/R0DRX_y6lnI/AAAAAAAAAvg/50UCeuJ9_2Q/IMG_0041.jpg?imgmax=512
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy