Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One for the boot experts re sizing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was toying with the idea of getting some Walk-Ez Revolutions from the US to protect my booties (and yes, I do know about cat tracks) but putting aside any issues of whether they're worth the $30, I had a question on sizing which turned into a more interesting query about boot sizing in general.

Looking at the Walk-Ez sizing guide, they offered two relevant sizes:
Small (26.0-27.5 Mondo, 299-315mm boot sole, 7-8.5 UK)
Meidum (28.0-29.0 Mondo, 216-332mm boot sole, 9-10 UK)

I'm normally a UK size 8.5/9 in shoes, which put me right on the borderline, so I thought I'd find out what my current boots were, which turned out to be easy for the boot sole length (327mm) but much more difficult for the inner dimension (I know it's not relevant, but I was curious to know what I had given all I've learned here about boots often being fitted too large).

There were no figures on the outside of the shell, nor on the liner, but I did find a startling figure on the inside of the shell: 28.0-30.5, which equates to 9-12 in UK sizing, or 43-47 continental. Does this really mean they only make the shells in such large size increments? And if so, do they put different size liners in to make a (slightly) more precise fit or are these also made in such coarse steppings?

It's hardly surprising that a lot of people's boots are the wrong size, and just emphasises the need for proper bootfitting.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, boots are for the most part, eg, 25 + 25,5 being the same shell with a couple of exceptions. The Coller can often cover 6 sizes, ie 25,25.5,26,26.5,27,27.5. and various components can be multisized. Liners depends on brand but often cover 3 sizes, ie, 25,25.5,26.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what sort of boots are they out of interest? a 327mm boot sole usually equates to a 28/28.5 boot. Sounds like your boots are pretty big on you. Maybe you should do a quick shell check to be sure. Take the liner out, slide your foot to the end of the shell (toe end), see how much room there is behind your foot. There should generally be around an inch of room, any more and they are probably too big. I have a size 26 boot with no modifications or pain issues and wear a size 9 shoe, sometimes a 10.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The boots are 06/07 Atomic M100s. I already did the shell-only size check above, and there's a tad less than an inch of space, so maybe a shade big but not massively so. Interesting to note the collar (cuff?) is loosely sized, as that's where the "28.0-30.5" marking is, while the main sheel isn't, though I can't see any numbers on it. It's not especially important, I just find it interesting Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's damn expensive making skiboots. Well, the tooling at least. Atomic are short to size but can see us going down at least to 27.5. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can see I shall have to be nice to you for the next 10 weeks SZK, or you'll make me suffer Sad Just don't make me bring an entire suitcase full of pork pies over Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy