Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 07/08

brian
brian
Cairngorm looking lovely and snowy on the cams today.

Would be an interesting chance of a decent looking dump of snow overnight, the usual Scottish cliffhanger of marginal temps .... but it's pretty academic when you see the horrible mild rain that looks like arriving Mon/Tues/Wed Sad Hope something hangs on as the start of a base but hopes aren't high.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
from the horses mouth....bobkinnaird

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,80449,page=6

Yes - we have snow - big drifts at the top ...and today is the day . Frusrating for those of us who do not have the flexibility to get out and enjoy it. From my window I can see several boarders and skiers making their way up and even more frustrating to be so close and not be able to enjoy it . Will try and make time this afternoon otherwise it's the head torch again. I am sure lots of photos will be posted tonight. We are dissapointed that we can not open over this week end , although the forecast is awful for Saturday with rain up to 900m . We are working flat out to open next Saturday subject to the usual caveats of wind and snow - optimisitic, a bit of freeze thaw may well help . Most upper lifts are ready and the bars are going on- we have already had to start de-icing which takes a bit of time and distracts from other maintenance jobs
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ fingers crossed the Gorm will be open from next weekend then, a week or two later than last year but if conditions hold out still pretty good.

Here's to more snow, continued cold temperatures and a covering at the other ski areas too - The Lecht was looking pretty good on the cams today and if they get their snowmaking on too they'll hopefully be opening soon as well snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some cracking pics from today, courtesy of h11lly from Winterhighland....

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2755

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2756

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2757
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3 morefrom H11lly. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2763

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2764

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2765
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
II,

Looks pretty good. Any more snow on Nevis?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, Mark who does the snow park says:-
Quote:
I have been waiting for 2 days to see the hill through the cloud and when I got to see it this crispy morning the upper hill down to about tower 4 on Goose as got some real good cover.

but gondola is shut till mid december and the East gets the best snow early - dont realy expect to be at Nevis before 1st January Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm now a little pissed off.
http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=382
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?21,2007-11-23
I would have gone and skied today if there was uplift was running Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was up at Cairngorm on Sunday, didin't get up till 12pm due to car problems but there was still a fair bit of snow left, not as much as friday tho Sad
We hiked up the gully then up to the top of cas then skied down. It was a bit of a trek carrying ski boots and skis and I was really, really envious of the people I saw on skins and touring bindings. The snow wasn't great, nice in places but a bit hard and crusty in others which isn't great when you're trying to get your ski legs back Skullie Visibility was very poor and everyone we met coming down said it wasn't worth going to the very top, it cleared up just as we got to the zig zags though. Glad we went up, it beat sitting in front of the tv but condiitons weren't great and the hike was REALLY hard
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like I made the right choice on Sunday. Was planning on driving over. I even waxed my tele skis. But when I woke early on Sunday, it was still blowing a hooly in Aberdeen so decided not to bother as it was likely to be even worse on the top of Cairngorm. Went training instead, did a few km of classic roller skiing, though it was a bit of a bad wax day as the ratchets on one of my skis was inermittantly failing Sad.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And a few more photos courtesy of "boarderdownunder" on Winterhighland

Ptarmigan basin - http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2800
Ciste - http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2801
M1 - http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2802

After a bit of a thaw yesterday, it is snowing again today - guess where I might be heading this weekend NehNeh
latest report
 brian
brian
rikochet, some nice deep drifts in the top basin pic there. Fences doing their thang !

According to their website, Cairngorm hope to open on Saturday Very Happy

the Gorm wrote:
Recent snowfalls and cold mountain conditions may see CairnGorm Mountain open for winter snowsports this weekend - Saturday 1st December 2007.

Conditions are looking hopeful in the Ptarmigan Bowl and temperatures are remaining cold. If these conditions continue and the maintenance programme on the railway proceeds as plannedweek, CairnGorm Mountain is hoping to open for snowsports this Saturday 1st December.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
However wind conditions may see it opening Sunday at the earliest.

Was some unexpected snow yesterday - was expected to fall mainly as rain but the snow line fell through the day giving snow to below midstation by early evening. However seems to have warmed up this morning with temps ~1C at SSC hut level (though -4C at the summit). Should get more snow Friday/ Saturday, but the snow level may be dependant on the exact track of the low.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems like the Ptarmigan Bowl is getting a decent base now and with the new snow that's expected as well it seems to be looking good for a limited opening, wind allowing, this weekend.

Good news for Cairngorm snowHead
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Cairngorm is open today Very Happy

Ok, it's just the Ptarmigan but it's got to be better than a snowdome !
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
brian, why are you on this and not out there skiing it! I take that back if your posting it from the mountain snowHead
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Rossfra8, wife's works xmas do last night with copious free beverages. I can barely see let alone go skiing Embarassed
snow report
brian, also staying at home to see Hibs drawing agains Aberdeen-would top my list of things to do aswell wink
snow report
 brian
brian
Rossfra8, getting beat now. Sad Think I'll go back to bed rolling eyes
latest report
Link to Cairngorm Mountain Website
latest report
^ Link to Winterhighland website - much more use than the Cairngorm Mountain site! Toofy Grin
latest report
I was up on Sunday - had a great day even though just the Ptarmigan tow was open. Cairngorm was also open Saturday, though the start was delayed 'till 11am due to high winds. On Sunday snow was hard and icy with some softer stuff blown in on top. Decent amount of snow in the Ptarmigan bowl. Also looks as if not much more would be required to run the Ciste tow and WW poma (from the start of the bowl). Needs a bit more snow at the bottom of the Ciste tow and the pistte machines running down the fairway. From others reports on winterhighland the M1 is complete as far as the link with the 105, the 105 is complete as far as the top of the gunbarrel and the traverse is complete bar a badly soured section at or close to where the M1 splits off. SO not much more needed for more terrian to open.

CML were also doing a good deal on tickets - £20 quid per adult, 1 child free per paying adult and a £5 voucher off food in the cafe. Not bad. Shame I'm a season ticket holder.

Looks to be snowing agian today and snow is forecast for the end of the week (but thats along way off so who knows). Problem may be mid week when it could be warm wet and windy. It all depends on how warm, how wet and for how long. Hopefully it won't be too bad as there is a good base starting to form at Cairngorm.

Dave
ski holidays
 brian
brian
If you like a model watching treat, have a look at this afternoon's 12z GFS in FI Shocked

The weather forums will be going ballistic, I'm off for a peek. wink

Sadly it's probably a massively cold outlier.
snow conditions
brian,

In English please? wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
johnboy, sorry.

Translation: If you like weather charts showing cold weather have a look at the GFS run from midday today. They show high pressure building over Scandinavia dragging very cold air across the north sea to the UK where it meets moisture laden air from the atlantic and dumps loads of lovely snow all over Scotland. Very Happy

Unfortunately it's way beyond the reliable timeframe and most unlikely to happen exactly as shown. Still, it's a promising sign of a pre-xmas cold spell so here's hoping.
snow conditions
BBC national forecast said 10cm+ snow for Scotland on the way, hopefully the fences will catch some of it before the wind does!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was at cairgorm on sunday for my first day of lift served skiing Smile

The Ptarmigan tow was the only one open but they were only charging £20 plus you got a voucher for £5 to spend in the cafe so pretty good value.

There was loads of snow but unfortunately visibility was very poor. We had a few comedy falls going from a bit of icy piste straight into a few inches of windblown powder when you stopped dead or skiing face first into a shoulder high drift because you couldn't see it Very Happy

It was great to be out on the skis again and would have been a fantastic day if the visibility had lifted just a bit as there was plenty of snow. all in all beats Braehead hands down and bodes well for the next few weeks as a good base has now been laid down

well worth the drive up Smile
ski holidays
 brian
brian
lynseyf, Very Happy Could you see as far as the bottom of the Ciste tow ? Are they far off opening it ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lol I couldn't see the t-bar in front of me at times.

My friends skied down the whitelady and said there were a few nice bits but it was a pretty long trek down and a lot of it was basically icy heather.
It was very windy and a lot of the snow had blown into the fences so the drifts were pretty high, I imagine when the weather clears and they get the piste basher out again they will have a lot of snow to play with though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glencoe has a new webcam is showing some fresh

http://glencoemountain.com/store/pages.php?pageid=8&mode=preview

Nevis has a new web cam, but is still on test

snow report
Great conditions today - lots of lovely fast fresh packed powder.

Photos here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200708/07dec11/

Sample photo (rimed up lifts in the top bowl):
ski holidays
Yes thanks for that, nice to know that I spent the entire day enjoying sorting out the shambles created by SkiScotland, meanwhile thinking I was missing the ptarmigan bowl alone, CML decide to inform the public that the train was doing mid-station stops after the lifts had closed! Thats a really useful ski report. rolling eyes

Open lifts at 10am, skiers cant go up after 3pm on the train, but hey if your a non-skier they'll let you go up till 3.40. The Last Train down is at 4.20pm, but hey if your a skier and you want a hot chocolate at the end of the day in the ptarmigan, you can't ski down because the train want stop for skiers at the middle after 3.40.
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Is that the same ski resort that opens at 10 o`clock in the morning and doesn`t let folk know what might be opening -is it any wonder they are in deep fiancial trouble?
latest report
Should be deep financial trouble !
latest report
Twas a good day. You can see me telemarking (badly) in the piccies on Highland-Instinct. Snow was really nice, packed powder on a hard base in the bowl, down the traverse and on the cas tow track. Un- skiied powder down the M1 (til we skied it Smile ). Skiable via the link with the 105 and possibly all the way to the M1 loading area, though we didn't try it below "Horizon Road". A couple of boarders were seen skiing the Lady to the train aswell. The zig zags were skiable to midstation, though getting a bit rocky in places by the end of the day. It was also possible to ski down the home road to within a 50m of the base. At least I did before the train started doing middle stops.
latest report
Hi all.

Great weather day today. Good enough to get the kilt out of hibernation for Cool

Lift served runs don't offer much, but there's good snowfields over the back if you're prepared to hike.

I've got some photos up here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200708/07dec18/

Sample picture - me putting in some (kilted) turns over the back
snow report
firstracks, you need to get forward on those skis ! wink wink
latest report
Cheers.

Was back up the hill again yesterday - absolutely stunning. Ptarmigan bowl is much and the same - nothing to write home about. Far better to go wandering.

I've got 2 pages of photos up here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200708/07dec19/

Sample picture: standing on the tor near the summit of CairnGorm, looking south
snow report
firstracks, nice pics snowHead
snow conditions
firstracks, Poseur wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy