Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Sports Cover

Poster: A snowHead
Discussion about ski insurance seems to crop up around here this time every year, for obvious reasons, so I thought I'd get the jump on it and have been speaking to some insurers.

Now, some people always go for the cheapest option and aren't too interested in the detail of their policy (or at least not until they're being medi-vac'ed off the mountain) and there's always a big ad. in a newspaper to tell them what to buy so I'm not too interested in the "It's this cheap here" comments.

But, there is possibly scope to put together a package of Winter Sports Cover that suits snowHeads as a whole so, if you're actually prepared to pay for the reassurance of knowing that you're covered properly, what do you look for in a policy?
What are the 'must haves'?
What are the 'nice to haves'?

... and what's your preferred definition of 'Off piste cover'?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 30-11-07 5:23; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Must have - the ability to buy online 5 mins before departure, because you kpet putting off getting it!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMC terms always seem pretty comprehensive to me and takes into account fact that actually outdoor activities in the mountains are instrinsically dangerous. Lots of policies out there that either exclude everything or are so vague as to be worthless.

I'd happily give up equipment cover etc or even take a reasonable excess on (up to say £300) if it meant I was bombproof on the serious stuff like helivacs, emergency repatriation, major surgery, intensive care etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for BMC - British Mountaineering Council

They do special rates for certain Club/Organisation members. I am via Eagle Ski Club.

I would not leave home without it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have heard Dog Tag is very good and has had some good reviews on sH's in the past but Fogg has a clearer and less ambiguous Off piste definition.
Very Happy
Must have annual cover and must have annual multi trip family policy and cover trips of more than 14 days and also not specify a maximum number of days skiing per year.
and must be accepted by Val Thorens piste rescue dept wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 15-10-07 13:27; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sure I'm not alone here, even if in a minority...
Must have cover for non-UK residents whose travel begins/ends outside UK.

Apart from that, I insist that all the 3rd party liability stuff, medical, evacuation etc. is well covered. On the travel side, baggage delay/loss ranks highly for me, since I have had bags go missing (not ski trip though), and in my case the wintersports is an add on to annual worldwide travel insurance. Loss/damage for rental kit is not so important, since it *may* be covered as part of the rental, and if not, the insurance excess will wipe out most of the benefit anyway.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You probably want race cover as well. I think the BMC policy includes this.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PS to above.......

One of the reasons that I like BMC is that I can dial their number, speak directly to a human being, who is not only very knowledgeable and courteous, but invariably is a skier, boarder, or climber themselves.

They have great insurance policies. No hidden clauses or ambiguity. If you want to ski for 90 days, you can ski for 90 days. If you are off-piste without a guide and there is not an 'r' in the month you are covered. If you are climbing while backcountry skiing, to get to the juciest bits, you are covered. Pick from a great menu of policies. Brilliant.

As some snowHead 's will know, some years ago I used to have the Ski Club policy, but got into a war with them when they wouldn't pay out on a straightforward claim. I won, but wouldn't use them again.

If BMC policies can be made available to snowHeads - great. I pay £158 for a whole years peace of mind and I don't think that's expensive.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Must have:

an annual policy for both of us that covers an unlimited number of trips (those 17 day limits are just useless if you like lots of trips!)
independent travel for the named people on the cover
excellent level of medical cover with repatriation and mountain recovery
unaccompanied off-piste cover (for those days when you get completely lost!)
cover to include trips to holiday home and uk as well as planned holiday

Price is less of a driver than getting the right cover but we still want a good value policy, and a company that you can be reasonably confident won't try to wriggle out of the bill when you get home would be a bonus!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
homphomp, I have 17 day limit with Lloyds. I confirmed with them last week that it means skiing days not trip days, so when I only skied for 3 days out of a 7 day trip to Canada it only counts as 3 days of my ski day limit, so 3 days in Canada, 6 at the EoSB, 5 for PSB and 3 for atomic boot camp is (happily) 17 days.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 15-10-07 13:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No age limits - speaking on behalf of my parents they had no end of trouble getting ski cover this year. They are both fit and well but many companies (including Saga) weren't interested in over 70s skiing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Must cover for skiing off-piste without a guide, ski equipment left outside a restaurant provided it's locked, annual multi-trip family policy with no limit (or a very large limit) on number or duration of trips. Oh - and less than £100 for the policy Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B, or even after departure. Many an insurance policy have I bought in the internet caff at the lift base! And it's very frustrating if you want to try out, say, ice-climbing on an impulse, and can't because of the insurance.

My big worry is all the exclusions so my must-have is that it covers you in any eventuality. As BernardC, says - if I'm roped up and climbing, I would want to be covered for that...

on the other hand I imagine that kind of cover would probably not be possible to get in a hurry...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Currently have our policy with Direct Travel.

I think we have the Premier policy which has a 17 day maximum per trip but unlimited trips. (Maximum trip 45 days otherwise)and off-piste is included.

Independent travel -YES
Business trips-YES
Kids in education covered up to age 22.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin, Gosh ... one brave man ! Eclectic and not normal I suspect ... the opposite of your commodity-buyer!

I thought I'd help out with some 'norms' though:-

1) Global residents
2) Payment in any currency
3) Trip length varies between 1 and 365 days
4) Willing to argue the definition of on-piste for hours.
5) Sleeping on sofas doesn't count towards winter sports 'days'
6) No excess for alcohol-induced injuries ( even if falling off the sofa)
7) All 'kids' covered even if travelling alone without their parents' permission
Cool No drug exclusion clauses for Chamonix and Wengen
9) Additional premium for 'medics' putting lives at risk and, most importantly,
10) A big discount for vertically-challenged 'Laydeez'

Talk to AIG, they have some very good people who will help with your 'tailoring' snowHead
snow conditions
homphomp wrote:
Must have:

an annual policy for both of us that covers an unlimited number of trips (those 17 day limits are just useless if you like lots of trips!)
independent travel for the named people on the cover
excellent level of medical cover with repatriation and mountain recovery
unaccompanied off-piste cover (for those days when you get completely lost!)
cover to include trips to holiday home and uk as well as planned holiday

Price is less of a driver than getting the right cover but we still want a good value policy, and a company that you can be reasonably confident won't try to wriggle out of the bill when you get home would be a bonus!

Ditto but on a single trip basis
ski holidays
firebug,

Quote:

on the other hand I imagine that kind of cover would probably not be possible to get in a hurry...

..... BMC do it ..... Very Happy
latest report
Just had a look and indeed they do. Thanks BernardC, that IS good. I thought you had to be a member to get their insurance for some reason.

Also, I am pleased to see that I'm covered for wrestling should the mood take me.
snow conditions
firebug, ... unless rules have changed, you do need to be a BMC member, or a member of an associated Club/Organisation, to obtain their insurance policies. I am a member of Eagle Ski Club , which is a qualifying Club (£18 per year)

As I mentioned, it would also be great if snowHeads became a qualifying associate .... Very Happy
latest report
BMC for a family annual..is £700...yikkes inc baggage cover and excluding professional...perhaps best for individual travellers rather than families...
snow conditions
admin, I like the snowcard set-up.
It has most of the items mentioned above, but is not one-type-fits-all. More like buying a computer from Dell.
There are 4 options for Level of cover: options A-D
And 6 Activity Levels from basic backpacking right up to Expedition - if you are off across Antarctica you may have to pay a little extra
They also cover skis left unattended outside restaurants. snowHead
ski holidays
BernardC, i seem to recall from some of the bumff that the Eagles send out that continuing to be an associate of the BMC was far more complicated that it ought to be!

I agree that the BMC is a great one stop shop solution for serious off-piste/touring skiers. I think you can get to the same place for less by combinations of Carre Neige/Austrian Alpine Club membership and other things but I tend to think that life is too short
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
homphomp, I have 17 day limit with Lloyds. I confirmed with them last week that it means skiing days not trip days, so when I only skied for 3 days out of a 7 day trip to Canada it only counts as 3 days of my ski day limit, so 3 days in Canada, 6 at the EoSB, 5 for PSB and 3 for atomic boot camp is (happily) 17 days.

True...but 5 holidays x 6 days skiing = 30 days!! Some of us just go away way too often....
snow report
Greater than 17 days a year - This has led me to switch from Dogtag to SCGB this time round
Worldwide cover - ie North America
Family option
Off piste without an accredited Mountain Guide cover (ie Side-country) - which most bank add-on policies do not cover
Touring - ie using skins. - which very few seem to cover.

You may struggle to beat £172 for a year for the family which is what SCGB charged this year. And they do seem to have improved their admin and claims handling, so after a few years of avoiding them I have gone back.
snow conditions
admin, Like Jonpim I value Snowcard's "Pick the components you want" system. The literature is very clear in stating what is covered and what isn't.
snow report
admin wrote:
...........What are the 'must haves'?

1. Off-piste cover without a guide.
2. Crystal clear regarding 'pre-existing medical condition', with easy-to-contact phone advice on that.
3. Significant 3rd party liability.
4. Easily contacted, approachable emergency service.
5. Cover no problem for an 'over 60'. Toofy Grin

Quote:
What are the 'nice to haves'?

1. Sensible holiday cancellation terms.
2. Connecting transfer/flight allowed for in missed flight - providing reasonsible arrangements have been made in the first place.

I am not too worried personally about lost/damaged kit/baggage - since household insurance already covers - and so any travel claim would result in a split on that, anyway.

Oh, and I agree about the snowcard modular approach - which is why they are my present insurers.
snow conditions
Jonpim, You forgot the
Quote:

Must have - the ability to buy online 5 mins before departure, because you kpet putting off getting it!

rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
homphomp wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

True...but 5 holidays x 6 days skiing = 30 days!! Some of us just go away way too often....

OK, I'm jealous. I can upgrade to 30 days for an extra £32.50 per person. at that poitn I think I woudl be shopping around
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've got a pretty good policy with Direct Travel - the Annual Multi-Trip Premier policy covers holidays of up to 45 days at a time, with 17 days of skiing per trip (only wish we could use it to its full extent!). It was recommended in The Times (I think - one of the weekend broadsheets anyway) early this year, & was definately better than anything else I'd looked at. Covers off-piste as well, and is very reasonable (especially if you don't need personal baggage cover, which very often comes with house & contents insurance anyway).
latest report
Jo225, yes I agree. We have Direct Travel and for about £100 for the two of us it's pretty good, especially taking into account their cover.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, I've used Dogtag for the last couple of years, what is dubious about the off-piste cover parts of the small print? It's a long time (12monthish since last looked)

More general question, does 17 days winter sports cover mean days on snow or holiday days?
snow conditions
jtr wrote:
admin, Like Jonpim I value Snowcard's "Pick the components you want" system. The literature is very clear in stating what is covered and what isn't.

My vote is for Snowcard, they have allowed us to have a family/couple annual policy with skiing properly covered and with different levels of risk for various family members for the rest of the year. Husband does scary mountain stuff with ropes and altitude while I'm covered for hut to hut and glacier crossing but not the peaks, this worked out cheaper than using the BMC family/couple options but still with good cover.
snow report
My current insurer covers off piste without a guide - but does anyone know of one that covers race training?

cheers
snow conditions
stevew,

Pretty sure it means days on snow, so v difficult to prove.
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
My current insurer covers off piste without a guide - but does anyone know of one that covers race training?

cheers

Whoever insures Varsity trips includes cover for race training, will have to ask the son if he remembers who it was.
snow conditions
beanie1, I'm using Snowcard this season.

SSE recommend Click4quote but they restricted race cover to Instructors last season so I didn't renew with them.
snow conditions
stevew, my 17 days with Lloyds TSb is snow days - I phoned and checked the other day.
ski holidays
stevew, Off Piste Skiing (within local ski patrol guidelines) Dog Tag (and when phoned to check where very vague.)

Off piste skiing Act reasonably and not ski in closed/avalanche risk area. If not skiing with
guide/instructor, always check are is suitable to skier at your level. Not to
ignore, warning signs/advices
. Fogg

I went with Fogg again this year.
ski holidays
Fogg do seem to have the clearest, most user-friendly off piste definition. They've been good the times I've known people use them as well.
ski holidays
May I just raise one small point Confused Personally,I have always believed that any UK purchased policy will be of little(ie no)use if you have to be evacted off the mountain(at least in France?)As the rescue services are,essentially,private operators...they want paying!Sure,you may well be able to use your CC(and claim on your return)but that carries the risk of a rejected claim along with hassle when you,or your nearest,least need it.No,I use Carre Neige for the mountain bit,and normal insurance for all the rest.A bit unfair to pay 2 premiums?...maybe,but CN is cheap,effective and,above all,understood by the rescuers.AFAIK,nothing has changed..or does someone know something I don't?

PS-my current insurance is via the Post Office(annual family inc snow cover)My only claim so far was for theft from apartment.Filed with local Gendarmerie,claimed on return,paid without question Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy