Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone discovered a functional ski outfit with sex appeal?

Poster: A snowHead
little tiger, I'd have tried that one if they'd had it in that red, but they only have it in black. All my ski gear has been Canadian, apart from my Marmot one I have at the moment.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen Beaumont, sorry meant the pants... but yes have seen many jackets very good prices lately... I went a little mad... because a good technical jacket is quite expensive at home... so I "stocked up" (I'm not a fashion slave so I'll be happy to wear them for a few years)...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger, oops. My favourite jacket is Couloir, and is white, with bright purple bits on it.I must have had it for about 10 years. It is so warm, and has a drop-hem like a parka. It still comes out on really cold snowy days, and is roomy enough for all my layers. My Marmot one doesn't come close.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen_sheba, currently in Ireland... but usually in Australia... Oz snow is very different to European and Utah/Colorado snow...

We ski quite marginal conditions and our snow goes through repeated thaw/freeze cycles as mostly the day time temps are positive... I heard someone in Colorado complain about the "ice" in one area during the spring there... that was good "snow cover" for me.... Ditto in Utah I was chatting to a fellow aussie(instructor I know) when the instructor I had just skied with came past... He gave me a serve for my "edge addiction" and then complained about teh "poor cover" on the return run down the mountain... The aussie guy laughed and said well imagine that with half the snow and rocks bushes etc thrown in and you will know why she skis as she does!

I'm here because my instructors wanted me to ski some northern hemisphere snow and mountains...

I have a job and mortgage!(no kids though)

Functional means different things to different folks - backcountry skier who have to live in their gear and carry their tent and food for days have different ideas to front country or resort skiers... and again to skiers who ski an odd week...

Defining function required may get better results?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i'm sure it would - mind you i think a lot of people come on here without really thinking about what they want to achieve with a posting....asking generic questions then wondering why they get so many different answers.

i always wondered about aussie ski resorts....where are they? do you get a long season or quite short?

i feel quite lucky being so close to the alps - it's only an hour or so to geneva by plane...but even better i've got the snow in the highlands of scotland (if it ever shows its face!) so i can just jump in the car and drive.....hence why i was thinking about getting my own skis...(only thinking mind you!)

boots come first - i'm starting a contract job on monday so might get them end of nov.....(byt the time i get enough money....looks like they are hitting around the £150-£200 mark)

hope you have a great time in Europe!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, yes my gortex shell pants are 10 years old, battered and hard to get the water to bead... but still waterproof as teh goretex membrane is intact...

I did get a pair of marmot pants in canada but they do not match up to the shell pants and will be sold now I have a few new pieces..

I have the arcteryx bib pants and they are very comfy - and goretex xcr... Smile

I think I have that red jacket but in black Smile

My old goretex shell is 10 years old and the cuffs are frayed... but it has been a bike jacket, a hiking jacket, a walking jacket(just general rain proof) etc etc for those 10 years... purchased from the factory at 1/2 price as it was a sample of teh next years cut... great technical jacket with pit zips, peaked hood with lots of adjustments... Ditto it struggles to be reproofed for dwr - but goretex membrane still works... sadly it will retire now... It has the same long cut...

My favourite windstopper vest is nicely cut with a longer back - and shorter at front... I often ski in that and a woollen thermal in spring. It also does great duty just bike riding or wandering around in the bush....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen_sheba, half the price if you buy in the US for decent gear I am afraid. We do get ripped off something rotten in the UK for technical gear. And to defend Little Tiger (never thought I would say that...) you did say "Functional" in your OP, and to many people on this site I suspect that means good enough for day-in-day-out skiing in varying conditions.

Anyway - I will naff off as this is obviously a Y-chromosome free thread Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother, I think it was Megamum that asked for functional.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen_sheba, yes all very true...

You are very lucky being so close to the alps - I have to fly 20-24hours from home to reach such great mountains!! (and the price to match). I cannot believe that fewer people seem to take advantage of that (relatively) short journey... For us we drive 4-5 hours (more from sydney) for marginal skiing..

Our season is theoretically from June9-13th (or so) until first weekend in October... In reality we have snow from Mid-late July until mid-september... So to ski in June you ski man made puddles on beginner slopes(ie 5-10degrees)... and in September-october you want to be out of the resort by preference...(lower traffic = better holding conditions)...

To put it in a frame of reference - the year before my instructor took up instructing he skied 30 days... which is considered VERY keen... I usually get at least 50... which is considered MAD!!! Embarassed

Try to hold off on the skis for a year or two... your skiing will change much in that time.... If you do buy then I'd first find a good instructor you click with (hint hitn plug for easiski who is very good).... and then take their advice on board... TRY the skis though... if at all possible... no-one can tell what it will do for you...until you get on them... If you must buy soon then take a serious look at second hand skis - sometimes you can nab a bargain if a seasoned eye looks around for you (my real GS skis are in this category)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oh i don't know stoatsbrother.....i'm sure those with the Y chromosome will have an opinion on what's sexy. though looking back at previous comments it seems to be scandies skiing in their panties!

lol - some things NEVER change!

yeah it;s the same with anything, cd's, makeup, jeans - everything is cheaper in the US!! boo.! (good excuse for a trip to new york though)

qs
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother wrote:
And to defend Little Tiger (never thought I would say that...)

Razz
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.backcountry.com/store/ARC0498/Arcteryx-Stingray-Jacket-Womens.html?CSP_ID=WR_ARC0498

grabbed that one I think for under $200 US
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yeah good point - second hand would be fine...i just feel it would be better if i was going to ski once a month over the scottish season to ski on the exact same skis every time rather than renting a different pair each time and having to adjust to them. they don't have to be new - just the same! i'm sure there' something to be said for consistency

lol - thanks for the tip about easiski i will have a look at them - when i go to the alps in jan i will hopefully get private lessons as the ESF classes are like 31 euros an hour which is soooo cheap (you have to go outside of normal lesson time though) and up in scotland, try and go to the same resort each month (we have five apparently!) and get the same instructor each time for an hour a day....i always do better with consistency...so same instructor, same skis, same boots etc...

yeah and ps just remember, most folk i know are gagging to live in australia for the good weather!....they obviously don't have the snow bug!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen_sheba wrote:

hope you have a great time in Europe!

Thanks

I have had a ball skiing here and the US... Very Happy

but time to head home as I am quite homesick for gum trees and wide open spaces now.... Sad

Next stop- Japan I guess ... and perhaps some more skiing in North America - because I like skiing with Fastman and have now discovered I could enjoy racing... Shocked Embarassed My instructors at home will kill themselves laughing at that one!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen_sheba wrote:

lol - thanks for the tip about easiski i will have a look at them

easiski is a she....

Have a look at the PSB thread - you could go there in October and ski with her and other snow heads and have a ball!

Also I went there in December last year and skied with a few snowheads...twas fun!

Would get you well set up for the season if you snuck in an early lesson
snow conditions
queen_sheba wrote:

yeah and ps just remember, most folk i know are gagging to live in australia for the good weather!....they obviously don't have the snow bug!

Oh yeah... never sure whether to cry in spring because winter is over ... or enjoy the stunning weather....

Nothing beats aussie spring skiing... balmy days skiing in the snow gums with black cockatoos leading the way Smile

(and the beer you stash in a creek or snow pile at the end of the trip)
ski holidays
little tiger wrote:
Nothing beats aussie

Apart from the English rugby team of course.
snow report
FenlandSkier, that is NSW and QLD... the rest of us play AFL NehNeh
latest report
queen_sheba, If you do fancy trying some scottish skiing look at www.winterhighland.info , they usually have good reports on what the weather conditions are like so you can go to the resort that has the best snow conditions.
Look here for some inspiring pics of last season when there was no snow aparently wink
http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=264
snow report
yeah cool - i'm inspired! i might get a car pool together for some glenshee trips as it's closer but also hit nevis a few weekends....(think that one would need an overnight stay and i'm planning to get my boots up there and try them out)
latest report
Nevis is easily doable in a day, I think its about 2.5-3 hrs drive so we leave Edinburgh about 6.30am and are there for approx. 9am
snow report
you reckon? worth a try! my little micra only does 60 tops before getting jittery though!

what are the slopes lik...when should i think about getting up there - Nov/DEc? or feb/march?

qs
snow conditions
When the snow comes! You are best to just keep checking Winterhighland and see which centre has the best snow, they have links to all the centres home pages which will have piste maps. Last year there was good conditions in january/february, the year before it was much better in march/april. February/march is probably a safe bet but you never know, we may get some skiing in before christmas Smile. I go as often as time/finances allow so will probably be there the first weekend anywhere is open, however this is often the busiest few days of the whole year and the snow may not be at its best. if you plan on going a few times then go as soon as the snow comes but if it will only be a once yearly effort then wait a bit later so you can see it at its best.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
lynseyf wrote:
if you plan on going a few times then go as soon as the snow comes but if it will only be a once yearly effort then wait a bit later so you can see it at its best.

For skiing in Scotland, procrastination never pays ! If the snow is good and the forecast is good, get up there. It could all be washed away at a day or 2's notice.
snow report
kitenski wrote:

geee i wonder why all those blokes have stopped !!!! Shocked
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, http://www.steepandcheap.com/?pid=2144904&AID=306722 Twisted Evil
latest report
cookie monster, I believe you could crack walnuts on that tush. Wow!
Look out for snow rash though. Hope she doesn't fall!
latest report
Megamum, have you seen the ski outfits in this thread?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30502&highlight=
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I only just spotted this thread, but anything entirely in orange does it for me.
latest report
SnowHot, cookie monster,what makes you so sure it is a she... I haven`t seen much of Brett Michaels lately... are you sure it isn`t him reliving his wild cross dressing younger days..
snow conditions
Megamum, hilarious thread. You are clearly being coy about asking where to see men with nice @rses in tight ski pants. The answer is 2Alpes glacier when the race teams are training. Laughing
latest report
Just wanted to say beware of the customs charges when buying from the US just paid £85 import duty on a arcteryx sidewinder jacket and gore tex bibs Sad
snow conditions
Helen LS, we certainly do get ripped off in this country Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy