Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I've just found out the French bloke at work is a skiier.........

Poster: A snowHead
And a serious one. He owns an appartment in Meribel and goes out there 3 weeks a season. Anyway the conversation pick up, when are you going next, have you seen the snow reports etc and then we get onto the actual skis themselves. I explain I have a pair of Blades I take for a bit of fun but I hire skis in resort. He explains that on arrival to his Meribel pad, he walks up to the livliest looking bar in Motterat and simply picks up and steals the latest model, he does this every year! Last year he grabbed a pair walked off with them, and found that they had been split into a ladies/gents pair for security so he just threw them away!

Where do I go from here? I wanted to knock his head off but until then I thought he was an alright sort of bloke.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-10-04 13:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
having been the victim of skis stolen a few times in France I'd also like to knock his head off - what a lady's front bottom. obviously got a bit of cash but yet steals from the kids/keen skiers who saved up for ages and got their new planks.mmmmm methinks that a snowheads brainstorm for maximum revenge against this French thief is in order....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tel him to give Jonpim his skis back or we'll have to call round and sort him out....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Makes the practical point that wherever posssible, split skis should be from obviously different pairs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
up4it, just find out when he's going next, then send some wanted posters of him out to the area for all the Bars, it should give him an interesting time Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why would anyone use new skis in popular crowded resorts, you'd be fair game to any potential thief and theres many, gangs even .
I certainly dont condone these actions after all it criminal
I have also been a victim 3 times in the 80's in the US (Killington) & in Europe (St Anton & Ischgl ) . Since then, the only pair of new ski's I owned I immediatly defaced by painting them (after all its only the base thats usefull) .
I now just by 2nd/3rd hand skis from anywhere (papers,charity shops,summer sales). This way if there stolen I know I have only lost €50 ! I leave my skis in the hotels that I frequent to save carrying them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
up4it, any chance he was having you on? I know there are a few b...ds around, and a few stupid people, but it's a pretty stupid b...d that owns up to something like that! Like you say, you could have taken his head off! (My grandad did just that to a docker in a pub in Liverpool who offered him a pair of stolen binoculars from a freighter during the war).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
but it's a pretty stupid b...d that owns up to something like that!

Perhaps he's related to Beckham? Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
up4it, I can't believe this guy actually brags about it. Having been a victim of Ski ( and boot theft ) on two separate occasions - once outside a restaurant which led to an interesting hike down the mountain, and another when a hotel's boot room was cleared out - I'd like to have a quiet word with this lowlife. How does he think it's OK to behave like this ????
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG wrote:
Perhaps he's related to Beckham? Wink

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton, Many people use new or newish skis as the performance (especially iover recent years with the technology changing) will be better.
I used to race and now coach. I replace my skis every season as they are well used and the racers I coach also have new skis each season.
This is my hobby and not my occupation so new skis each yaer are expensive, but they are insured and we ensure that we separate our skis when in restaurants etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Simply alert the Gendarmerie about his next visit.
A bunch of people (whom I will not reveal the nationality, but it was neither British, French, Swiss, German, Austrian, American, Canadian nor Italian) was doing (stealing skis I mean) that during their holiday in the Dolomites, and hiding their booty under the snow at a road turn they were bound to take on their way home.
A local spotted them and alerted the Carabinieri, who then vaited for these nice people for the rest of the week, and caught them "bloody" handed the following Saturday. Needless to say, these one too were not poor people, but rather normal moneied ones...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How prevalent is this? I noticed that quite a few restaurants now have secure ski storage but I'd never thought that anyone would nick a pair of skis on the mountain - you'd look very dodgy skiing down with a pair tucked under your arm.

I can see that it might happen outside a resort restaurant/bar but before reading this forum I'd never actually heard from people that it had happened to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IE, I regularly cart a second pair of skis, sometimes a couple of pairs, up and down the mountain - no one gives you a second glance... (it's over the shoulder, not under the arm... if you tried that, you would get some funny looks.. Wink )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Almost lost a pair of rented Volkl Carver Motions from outside a restaurant half way down a piste. The guy accidently stepped into mine by mistake (he was using the same skis, same boot size, and same rental outfit). His skis were just a few feet away from mine. Genuine mistake. Luckily I spotted him just before he was ready to set off.
snow conditions
In 8 ski hols it happened ot us twice.

I suspect both times it was mistaken identity as vitually identical skis, with nearly identical binding settings were found unclaimed nearby. Me & Mrs Frosty always swap a ski and stack them a few metres apart when stopping for "refreshment"
snow conditions
My only experience of ski theft was a brand new pair of K2s which had been split well apart, outside a restaurant up the big gondola at Les Deux Alpes.

Skis need to be locked up, I'm afraid. Or you do what my fellow instructors were doing 30 years ago on Cairngorm - you cover those lovely prestigious graphics with black tape so a thief's eyes wander elsewhere.
ski holidays
It's happened to me or family a few times, always mistaken identity and always rectified after a frustrating hour or two. I also have to confess to making the same mistake myself once with rented skis: similarly, sorted fairly quickly.
latest report
PG, thank you for reminding me: I have yet to send in my claim form - had forgetten all about it. I was put off back in April after reading page 14 paragraph 6. of the ski club policy:
Quote:
The Underwriter shall not be responsible for ..... claims arising for Ski Equipment left unattended in a place to which the general public has access or left in the custody of a person who does not have an official responsibility for the safekeeping of the property
I've a couple of "fussy" friends who are always asking me to split my skis with them. "Silly fussers" I used to think as I reluctantly agreed to their request.
Now, who's the "silly fu£&er"? Sad
Anyway, nothing ventured and all that: I will send my claim in today.
ski holidays
3 pairs in 1 holiday at Val d'Isere! 2 mistaken identity (1 pair was a brand new pair of next season test skis left in error for a pair of similar but rather grotty hire skis) the last nicked by a French chalet owner on a dayt trip from Mottaret (I presume) bloody annoying, and not fully covered by insurance. We have always split skis. My best advice is to make the skis as invisible as possible if they are of any quality - ie around the side rather than by the front entrance, and keep them in sight Puzzled
snow report
David Goldsmith, what do you use to lock your skis? Do you have one of those portable locks with a retractable cable? I always split the skis (either with a skiing partner or even if alone) and store them at different ends of the ski rack, and so far I've been lucky that nothing has been stolen.

For those people who have lost skis from outside restaurants has your insurance paid up? I'm not sure whether my policy woud pay if I said the skis were left unlocked and unattended in a public area where any mean-spirited git (see first post!) could wander past and take his pick.

up4it, perhaps you could direct your colleague's attention to this thread so that we can let him know what we think of him?
snow report
philbski1

Your not going to teach a thief not steal .
Most thieves are looking for models they know they can shift , even rental skis which they ship back to Eastern Europe. IMO its best to make it a less desirable & difficult for them. You can use/have new performance skis but as a deterent give them a few stripes of paint to make them less desirable.
Incidently, most skis are lifted a few seconds are you have left them . Its allways good to take a look back beforeentering a restuarant, etc .
This French guy sounds like a complete tosser & I doubt weather its true.
snow conditions
had a pair of rossy bandits nicked last year in Tigne outside La Toviere restaurant. when I spoke to the local cop shop they told me they were getting about 30 pairs a week reported stolen - worrying. my insurance company paid up no probs - but make sure to get a local police report.
ski holidays
Quote:

Where do I go from here? I wanted to knock his head off but until then I thought he was an alright sort of bloke.

When he's not there nick every pen or pencil off his desk, or if he has a wireless mouse then keep nicking his batteries. When challenged by him mention the error of his ways
snow report
I always lock mine (wire thing in Europe and locking ski rack thing in Canada).
I don't think it'll stop someone trying to steal them, but it stops someone taking them by mistake.
snow conditions
When I was in Megeve last season I attempted to use a combination lock I had been given (Christmas present), but I could not make it lock. I left it on my board so that it would look like it was locked. When I came to retrieve my board after lunch the lock had been stolen, but not my,rather super, board! Embarassed
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, his sister is over at the moment visiting from France, there is a night out planned on Friday, I think i'll try to entice her back to mine. That would p*** him off.

BTW he's not lying, he offered me a pair.
ski holidays
I always use a lock, one of the number combination ones with retractable cable. Got it from Snow and Rock years ago. Not foolproof I don't doubt, but makes my skis less nickable than the unlocked pair next to them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
up4it, After sibling defloweration send him up to Teesside. When he's on his 4th set of wheels in a week the meaning of "Le boot sur le other foot" may sink in
ski holidays
Rather than cover them with crap paint job, ciover them them with resort stickers, which has the added benefit of making you look cool. (Not sure if this should be a Viz Top Tip ??)
ski holidays
stuarth, you're right I always pair skis and tie them to a solid object with a ski lock. Last year the combination lock broke and could not be opened so I had to cut through the wire with my Leatherman. Firstly, I was amazed that the plyers cut through this supposedly strong wire very easily and secondly no one challenged us.
ski holidays
A good tip is never eat at a place that can be accessed by people who are not skiing e.g. The Hard Rock in Courmayeur or La Toviere in Val/Tignes. They can drive up to Tignes, pop their ski boots on, hop on the Aeroski, within 5 minutes thay have a nice new set of skis! Bish, bash, bosh.

When working at Precision we had so many pairs or rental/test skis stolen because they have adjustable bindings, all you need to know is your boot sole length and your away!

By the way I'm not in the least surprised Frenchy gloated on the fact he was a thief, they have little respect for anyone, especially the English.
latest report
NickW wrote:
Rather than cover them with crap paint job, ciover them them with resort stickers, which has the added benefit of making you look cool. (Not sure if this should be a Viz Top Tip ??)

Not quite, the Viz top tip is something like "Prevent both your skis being stolen on the slopes by leaving one locked up at home".
snow report
But what if the thief has one leg?
snow conditions
Hop after him ?
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
But what if the thief has one leg?

It's obvious and simple, take the ski that would fit his missing leg if he hadn't of lost it.
latest report
I had my rental skis stolen from the bar next to the lift in Finkenberg (just above Mayrhofen) along with the skis of 2 of my friends in January 2003. Very suspicious the whole thing - the guy from the rental shop was downright nasty about the theft, very unhelpful and charged us €350 each for replacement skis (which if I can remember were not very special Atomics to start with, and were even worse replacements). We lost most of a day's skiing going up and down the mountain in a taxi to the Politzei in Mayrhofen to report the theft and were treated like suspects in the police station. After very lengthy interrogation (each of us in a different room with a different officer) we were given theft reports. We were not the only people this happened to, and we were fairly sure that the guy who ran the shop was in on this in some way . My insurance company was brilliant (small company I found on the net) and paid up withing 10 days of me sending in the claim - my friends were not so lucky as they had insurance from the Post Office. They put the claim in during the first week of Feb 03 and finally received a cheque from the Post Office at the end of August 03 Evil or Very Mad

I now have a combination lock which I used in Italy last season, and now I have a new pair of skis, and yes I will definitely be using it this season!

up4it, the French guy you work with sounds contemptible and arrogant. He needs to have something he values highly to be stolen from him, maybe you could arrange to teach him a lesson in someway? If you can tempt his sister that should really annoy him - a French woman with a bloody Rostbif!! Wink
ski holidays
David@traxvax wrote:
stuarth, you're right I always pair skis and tie them to a solid object with a ski lock. Last year the combination lock broke and could not be opened so I had to cut through the wire with my Leatherman. Firstly, I was amazed that the plyers cut through this supposedly strong wire very easily and secondly no one challenged us.

whilst I do use a combination cable lock I would also agree that they will only make a thief look for easier targets or prevent mistakes - they will not prevent a determined thief who really likes your gear.

a few years ago in Heavenly I came out from lunch to find that the combination had bizarrely changed whilst I was locking it. thankfully it only has 3 digits and I managed to get through almost all 1000 before I found the right one. Just before I did so, some guys walked passed be and one of them joked "Man, I've been watching you for the past 15 minutes and you've either lost the combi or you're stealing that board" he then walked off without any care about my response!
latest report
Quote:

IE, I regularly cart a second pair of skis, sometimes a couple of pairs, up and down the mountain - no one gives you a second glance... (it's over the shoulder, not under the arm... if you tried that, you would get some funny looks.. )

Why? I know people have different skis for off-piste etc. but I thought you'd pick one at the start of the day and stick with them Very Happy

No wait, you're talking about on foot. I often end up carrying my girlfriend's skis as well as mine. I meant wouldn't someone skiing while carrying a second pair look suspect.
snow report
IE, None of the above! I'm often the carthorse for the various race skis that have to be carried, in pristine state, perfectly waxed and powdered, unskied on, to the start of races. At the end of the race spare sets have to be carried down again.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy