Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots in Hand luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Fear of losing them if checked in made me take them as hand luggage, with a boot bag.

Will this work this winter in the brave new world of airport security as it now is? Any views?

One problem is that I dont yet know where I am going, nor who will be flying me there !!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
East Midlands airport security stopped me from taking boots through as hand luggage last winter, I had to go back and check them in Evil or Very Mad .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've flown from Heathrow, Gatwick. Luton, Stansted & Manchester with boots in hand luggage & not been stopped.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only had one problem last year, and that was with Virgin Atlantic - turns out they were weighing every bag of carry on and the limit is 6kg Sad

Apart from that, my other trips were fine. Just make sure the bag you put themin is the right size/shape - i.e. not a boot bag, but put them in a small case in 69 fashion.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got through Gatwick twice this year with them. The bag size might be the key and we use ordinary carry-on bags rather than boot bags.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
malcolm1,
I saw one guy at Glasgow airport stopped this year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mangaged to carry them a few times without being stopped. Stopped only once at Liverpool with Ryanair. Do not know if there are definative regulations though. Do as others suggest and put them into a normal bag.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
malcolm1, Easyjet Bournemouth had a notice up saying, 'ski boots not permitted in handluggage', and my son had to take his snowboard bindings out of his handluggage, so it's probably best to check before hand. Confused
latest report
 brian
brian
malcolm1, anything smaller than 55 x 40 x 23 cm will get you through airport security.

I've done the same as Wear The Fox Hat, put them in a small case. You can also get a few things stowed inside the boots for further space saving.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why not put your boot bag inside suitcase/main bag rather than just checking it in on its own?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonm, That is what I do.

But for some people, weight is an issue, or space inside main case.

And some people don't trust the airline to get their hold luggage to their destinatiojn, and ski boots are the most important item to have with you - anything else can be quickly bought or rented in resort.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, although what goes inside is dependent on the fragrance of the boots in question.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Swirly, bring back that camenbert you didn't quite finish ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always carry them in my rucksack.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I always carry them in my rucksack.

You have a large rucksack, or small feet.
snow report
malcolm1, I happily carried my boots through heathrow (terminal 4) twice this spring (jan and feb) inside a hand-luggage sized wheely bag. Had no problems at all. Smile
latest report
masmith, I forgot to mention that they are snowboard boots!
ski holidays
ssnowman, yes, that makes a difference!
snow report
I was told at Birmingham airport they were an offensive weapon (I s'pose I could use them to club some dozey pillock taking too long faffing with the overhead lockers!!!) & had the rest of my hand luggage (small bag inside bag with boots & a gameboy) taken off me & handed to my husband then was marched back to check in like a naughty child!!
snow report
So curious was I that I sent a quick email to a couple of airports that I use most often. Here's the reply from East Midlands ...

Quote:
Hello,

I have spoken to our security staff and ski boots are not permitted in hand luggage.

Regards

Information Desk
East Midlands Airport
Nottingham Leicester Derby
08719199000 ext 3220/3230

So there you go. If I get more replies I'll post them here.
snow conditions
masmith, did you include Luton?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, I did so watch this space. But that's all.
latest report
So if you want to take your boots as hand luggage then fly from Luton - here's their response:

Quote:
Ref: CS/01891-07

Mark

Thank you for your email. I consulted the Security Manager and was advised that the ski boots will be acceptable as hand luggage, however, they will be classed as the one piece of hand luggage permitted per passenger.

Kind regards

Chelo Aguado

Information & Customer Services

London Luton Airport

very helpful and informative.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith, Maybe you should invite EMA and Luton to explain the reasoning why they came to opposite answers Shocked
ski holidays
Of course if you are really pushed for space and weight wear them Wink ! Last time i flew back Ryanair from Thorp there was a couple of guys sitting near me who'd been climbing and were wearing their winter mountaineering boots.
latest report
FenlandSkier,
Quote:

Maybe you should invite EMA and Luton to explain the reasoning why they came to opposite answers

Because most (some) of these regulations are stupid and made up on the spot. Eg boots in hand luggage. What's the difference between a pair of skiboots in hand luggage, or on your feet. If neither are allowed, then what about work boots or walking boots, they'd be just as handy as an offensive weapon as a pair of skiboots, perhaps more so as they are decently heavy, but not quite as unweildy if you really wanted to swing a boot and hit someone Smile. So where do you draw the line? Slippers only on the plane and all boots shoes in the hold?
snow conditions
masmith, jsut the response I wanted to hear Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave Horsley wrote:
FenlandSkier,
Quote:

Maybe you should invite EMA and Luton to explain the reasoning why they came to opposite answers

Because most (some) of these regulations are stupid and made up on the spot. Eg boots in hand luggage. What's the difference between a pair of skiboots in hand luggage, or on your feet. If neither are allowed, then what about work boots or walking boots, they'd be just as handy as an offensive weapon as a pair of skiboots, perhaps more so as they are decently heavy, but not quite as unweildy if you really wanted to swing a boot and hit someone Smile. So where do you draw the line? Slippers only on the plane and all boots shoes in the hold?

Very Happy I quite agree with you on the ski/walking boots point. And just look at some of the heels on womens' shoes Shocked

As most of the stuff on the telly recently has been crap I've recently watched a few old episodes of Airline. Way back then (all of 5 years ago) hand luggage was classed as so dangerous that above 5kgs and the passengers had to check it in, whereas water was freely allowed on board and bottles of it even given out for free after 1 delayed flight. 1 customer with a heavy but small case (hand luggage sized) was told to check it in as the weight could easily kill someone if it fell from an overhead locker and hit someone.

How come that same bag now would be quite welcome (and presumably safe) to carry as hand luggage now?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

masmith, Maybe you should invite EMA and Luton to explain the reasoning why they came to opposite answers

But it's worse than that as it's completely random at most airports anyway. At EMA at Easter I carried a ski boot in my hand luggage (the other was in my case) with no problem at all.

Anyone got any experience of Birmingham? I'm flying from there in January.
snow report
Quote:

masmith, Maybe you should invite EMA and Luton to explain the reasoning why they came to opposite answers

Not much point really, East Mids will just quote some waffle. Anyway, I have nothing booked from East Mids for next year and I'll avoid using it from now on.

Their loss.

Maybe a Snowheads petition might make them rethink ?
latest report
Who is game for testing out the Luton hand baggage policy on ski boots? Anyone going to the PSB from Luton?
latest report
jonesj71, Yep, and I'll be taking a copy of Chelo Aguado's note to masmith,
latest report
holidayloverxx, go gettem girl Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Travelling from Manchester to Bulgaria with Balkan in Feb 2005 we all got charged £17 extra to take boots in the hold.

We were also told that if we could hide them in our luggage we wouldn't be charged but any boot shaped bags would be, so we couldn't just swap our clothes and boots over. Some passengers managed to squeeze the boots in cases by wearing their ski jackets or putting clothes in their hand luggage, but it could have so easily been avoided with a larger suitcase or the boots in a smaller case of their own!!

There were some massive arguements in the queue from disgruntled passengers but the airline staff just kept pointing to some very small print in a brochure that said ski equipment was £17 carriage fee.

On the otherhand, If you paid the £17 the luggage allowance was 20kg plus your boots. If you hid the boots you only had 20kg in total and boots are quite heavy!

Ever since then I hide my boots in my suitcase, wear my ski jacket and shove some of my bulkier fleeces in my hand luggage. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Quote:
There were some massive arguements in the queue from disgruntled passengers but the airline staff
(idiots - some people are just born numpties)
Quote:
just kept pointing to some very small print in a brochure that said ski equipment was £17 carriage fee.

So what constitutes ski equipment? Goggles, helmet, gloves, lift pass holder ?
ski holidays
[quote="masmith"]
Quote:

Quote:
just kept pointing to some very small print in a brochure that said ski equipment was £17 carriage fee.

So what constitutes ski equipment? Goggles, helmet, gloves, lift pass holder ?

Think the brochure listed skis and boots but the staff were taking that as any combination of skis, boots, or skis and boots. We hadn't been charged for them for several years before and we realised it was pointless arguing. But it was equally ridiculous that they were allowing people to re-pack the exact same weight into one case if you could fit them in or if you had had two cases that was okay, but a case and boot bag was £17 extra! Puzzled

Perhaps the staff that day were just making some extra pocket money?
ski holidays
I'd have worn them on and then seen what they said!
latest report
I've carried them in hand luggae before without incident & even worn a pair of tele boots on the plane. If they are an offensive weapon then so is a bottle of duty free, crutch, wheelchair, heavy laptop, pen, pencil, pair of glasses, shoelace, headphone wire etc etc
snow conditions
Yes it's plainly ridiculous for anyone to suggest that ski boots are a dangerous weapon. The idiots who make these rules need a reality check, a bottle of duty free is much more dangerous

I just hope the idiots from Liverpool, East Midlands and anywhere else who says skiboots are 'offensive weapons' would read this thread and then see what prats they are.

Rant over.
latest report
I'd like to know just exactly how much stuff you all pack to make it necessary to have to pack your ski boot seperately? My bag is packed with all my gear and still comes in my weight allowance....and if there is any doubt, I stick some in my ski-bag - I have to pay for that anyway, so what's the problem? And having had people drop stuff on my head whilst opening overhead lockers, I'd personally take great exception to anyone who lamped me with a pair of ski boots....

Stick 'em in the hold.....if they get lost, they get lost, then you can open another thread of 30 pages debating which ski boots you should purchase. If the hold baggage gets lost and you have your ski boots, what are you going to ski in anyway?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy