Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race Training in London

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm moving to London in November, and looking for a club I can join to do some race training prior to my APM in March. Going to be working in Mayfair and living in SW, probably Putney, so need to be somewhere I can realistically get to after work. I also fancy doing a bit of part time teaching. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Talk about bad timing - just as Chill Factor e (which is 10 mins from me) opens, I move down to London! Only reason I stopped going to Lions is the distance made it prohibitively expensive / tiring after work...

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, snowdome or plastic?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar,

I think MK is a bit far to go after work on a regular basis - though i'm planning to get some tele lessons in there!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1 wrote:
rob@rar,

I think MK is a bit far to go after work on a regular basis - though i'm planning to get some tele lessons in there!

If you PM GrahamN (Aldershot), ski(?) and Spyderman (Hemel) they should be able to offer advice on dryslope racing in the South East. Inquiries are being made about racing training for adults at MK, hopefully on a weekend. I'm also planning some tele lessons at MK with PhillipStanton.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, the obvious places handy for SW London are Sandown Park and Aldershot (i.e. us). Don't know much about SPSRC except they are pretty intense about commitment and time on snow etc., and actually can't think of any adult racers there, so it may be only a kids' club. We (at least in the Adults' club) are rather at the other extreme and a bit laissez faire, probably to a fault. We are right in the middle though of trying to sort out a proper coaching progression that would allow those of us working our way up the rankings to continue progressing - which we really have to get in place for this winter.

Our main coaching session is on Saturday 8:00am - 9:30, and at that time of day it probably takes about 35 mins in the car from Putney (Sandown is probably half that time from there). We also have a less formal session on Wednesday evenings 20:00 - 21:00/22:00 (depending on the season) - pretty much individual practice, but I think we could do quite a bit more on mutual coaching then. Have been managing to get poles up recently, although that's currently less likely in the winter (although we're trying to think up a plan to sort that too). If you were interested in teaching at the slope I think they're also always looking for instructors - particularly for the (mostly very young) kids' sessions that follow immediately after our Sat session. http://www.alpinesnowsports.co.uk

If you end up more Sarf than Sarf-West, then try ski at Bowles, a bit south of Tunbridge Wells (which unfortunately I've always found a bit of a nightmare to get through/around). Probably the best race club south of London though is Bromley, but that's definitely Sarf-East, and Wycombe (now training at Hemel) are the powerhouse of the northern approaches.

When's the big move?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN,

Thanks for the advice. Big move is in November - dependent on passing my APC though (not the skiing one, the RICS one!) so fingers crossed!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, have a look at the other thread going on a the moment http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29072&highlight=
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, I've just checked back through the last couple of years' race results, and SPSRC haven't fielded anyone born later than 1990 over than time, so you're definitely better off with us. I also remember the main (kids') club head coach saying that we could put in two club teams in at the All England, except for the fact that we needed another fast girl Wink .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN,

Looks like I'll be joining you in the autumn then!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, If living near the A3, then the trip to Aldershot out of rush hour would be a doddle. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy