Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

boot flex

Poster: A snowHead
Do you think a boot flex of 90 is a bit stiff for an intermediate male, average / slight build, about 4 to 5 weeks experience, basic parallel?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, Ooooooooooooooooooooh, my favorite subject!!!!! Toofy Grin

Ok, to save me time and endless paragraphs, you need to follow me and just answer the questions, there's no wrong answers.

Q1, What is a flex of 90?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 10-08-07 18:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A1, It's stiffer than a flex of 80, and softer than a flex of 100 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, Top of the class, but your numbers 80,100, what scale of measurement are you using? Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SZK, Why, the industry standard one, of course wink The one all manufacturers use wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
salomon use it

Falcon Race - 120
Falcon 10 - 110
Impact Pro - 120
Impact 8 - 90 (one I'm talking about)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, but what does it all mean? I'm a 100 in my own mind.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1,

No idea, i was hoping someone else might know!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Newton took a meter stick.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1 wrote:
Do you think a boot flex of 90 is a bit stiff for an intermediate male, average / slight build, about 4 to 5 weeks experience, basic parallel?

If I may suggest the following algorithm:

1. Stick boots on feet.
2. Do them up as if you're going skiing.
3. Attempt to flex.
4. If you can't flex, they're too stiff.
5. If you can flex them really easily then they're too soft.
6. Repeat.

SMALLZOOKEEPER & veeeight - what do you think? (I'm sure this could be finessed - but I'm sure you see my point.)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, the gist of it is that there is no accepted standard for 'flex' therefore different manufacturers are different and can not be compared.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1,

follow PhillipStanton's suggestion.... as a big person might flex them more and a lighter person..bla bla..
Other factors like speed/lack of etc might apply more or less leverage.

On the face of it, I'd say this is the type of flex that that person might target... but that person needs to try them on to get a better feel.

A decent fitting is the place to start in a shop with as wide a range of stock that you can find.

At 5 weeks that person might not have the best appreciation of what is good about a boot and the reason why that person might need forgivess and flex in a boot or ski, is because that person might not be able to put the skis in the best place accurately enough.

A boot that is too stiff at this stage will probably set their skiing progress back, IMV
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
A boot that is too stiff at this stage will probably set their skiing progress back, IMV

Good point JT.

beanie1 - it's worth considering that you'll be better off with a boot that's too soft than one that's too hard. (IMHO).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

What's more important flex or lateral stiffness?

P.S What's the difference wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I've the Technica Alu Icon Carbon (04/05 I think) I wear them as they came out of the box, not been fitted or touched in any way but I can still clump around in them at the end of the day without much discomfort at all. But I've no idea how stiff these are in comparison to any other boot, but I'd be curious to know. They were on sale at 200Eu and didn't hurt when I put them on.
snow conditions
Masque, great boot - I used to have a pair - too good for me.

I've now got boots that go to 11. Wink
latest report
Quote:

the gist of it is that there is no accepted standard for 'flex' therefore different manufacturers are different and can not be compared.

SHello, The Industry standardised in 2005, however this winter (2007/2008) will be the first year all resistance readings are printed on every boot. Dalbello being the exception last year due to 3 piece design. (FOXY wink )

The test is as follows; take a ski boot in size 26.5 adjust all buckles to the halfway point (this is where a certain amout of margin lies). Close boot with liner and control temperature to 15 degrees (c). Now flex boot 10 degrees(angle), 30,000 times (percieved fatigue). Now measure the energy used to achieve this. Divide by 30,000 and voila, your flex index. I hand over to my Seppo mate here(comprex, ) As i understand it it's measured in Newtons, this is where i go to the coffee machine. wink

PhillipStanton,
Quote:

it's worth considering that you'll be better off with a boot that's too soft than one that's too hard. (IMHO).
However it's alot more work and less dynamic to increase the flex of a boot, than reduce it. (Krypton accepted.)

stewart woodward, Lateral stiffness effects edge pressure(angle) and transission speed. Longitudial stiffness effects turn initiation and energy build up(acceleration).

Masque, That boot would have probably come out at around 140kn, the plastic was poor, offered no progression(consitancy through it's 10 degrees of resitance.) But awesome transmission, proving all this FLEX CHAT is subjective! Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy