Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's that time of year again - new skis time!

Poster: A snowHead
BASI Offer just dropped through the letter box, woo hoo! This season I'm buying slalom skis and have a choice of:

Salomon SL LAB
Salomon Equipe 3V Race
Rossignol RS World Cup

(All 07 /0Cool

I am 55kgs, 173 cms, BASI 3 (sorry - I mean Level 2 Instructor, tee hee!), not that aggressive (by comparison to instructors, more aggressive than most skiers) but working on becoming more aggressive, going to be attempting APM this season.

I won't have the opportunity to test, but at this price it's not end of world if I don't like them.

Any comments, advice appreciated. Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, what price(s)? rolling eyes

173cms/55kgs . . . . now I understand = beanie1,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's the BASI offer, so about 30 - 50% off RRP.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 9-08-07 8:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1, not as good as Ski-Bilek then wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, Still 350quid more expensive than production costs!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Maybe, but I still want them anyway!

Masque,

Do they have those skis at less?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, The Salomon's are great skis. (Did i say that?)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque,

Just looked and not a lot in it - The Ski Bilek Salomon LAB is only £20 less for 07 models, than I'd pay for 08 models. And carriage from Germany would bump the price up. As I'm so easily influenced by consumre culture, I'll go for the ones with the 08 graphics on, ha ha!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
all three then flog the ones you don't like for a profit on ebay Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, Have a look at the Dynamics - they aren't on the BASI offer, but you can get them as cheap. I'm about the same size as you (but probably a much worse skier) .. they suited me much better snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski, She is good enough to use a proper race ski, I thought she should have got LABs instead of 3Vs last time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, i got a pair of Fischer race department RC4 SL ex hire skis off ebay in very good shape for 170 quid.... if you scan ebay there can be some good deals....

which APM course are you thinking about?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, rjs, as you've actually seen me ski that is very helpful.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
beanie1, The Salomon's are great skis. (Did i say that?)

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, seeing as you skied my pretty stiff B5's very well I'd say get the LAB's.
ski holidays
skimottaret,

Thinking of doing the one in March. You? Any idea how quickly they're filling up?
snow report
beanie1, I am doing a race course in dec and then the mountain safety module in jan in courchevel. i wanted to see how i got on with the race training before booking on the APM..... but the 10 march date is looking tempting.... dont know if they are booking up yet...
snow report
skimottaret,

Maybe see you then! You'll enjoy the off piste, it's great fun. I'm going to use the APM itself as a training course, if I don't pass first time it doesn't matter, but I'll know what I have to aim for.

Bindings questions - Now decided I'm gonna get the SL LAB. The bindings designed for these skis are the 914 LAB, with DIN range of 6 - 14. I've always understood you should use bindings where your DIN setting is roughly in the middle of the range, however being fairly light I will be near the bottom of this range. Are they still suitable for me?

Thanks
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
......Bindings questions - Now decided I'm gonna get the SL LAB. The bindings designed for these skis are the 914 LAB, with DIN range of 6 - 14. I've always understood you should use bindings where your DIN setting is roughly in the middle of the range, however being fairly light I will be near the bottom of this range. Are they still suitable for me? Thanks

Using the springs at the middle of the range is theoretically best as they should perform at their most consistent at that setting. However, in practice the manufactures have a large amount of overlap with the springs they use, ie the springs used in a 6-14 binding will actually work well from say 2/3 - 17/18, it's just that they install stops on the adjustment at 6 & 14. So if you're skiing at a 7/8 then you've actually set them nearer the middle than you think.

So yes, the 6-14's would be fine, afterall many female skiers are using 4-12 bindings set on 5-6 with no problems. I've tested loads of bindings on my torque machine across their setting range & they've all been equally accurate/consistent in release irrespective of whether set low, high or in the middle of their range.

One downside of higher DIN range bindings though is that they are usually heavier.
snow report
spyderjon, thanks!
ski holidays
Got my BASI offers through as well, just going for the rossie R9S's 155cm more than enough ski for what i want them for. Personally i don't think LAB/ Worldcup skis are worth it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy