Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fancy trying some boots out????

Poster: A snowHead
Specialman, I'll be there 22-25 but I'm going to try the boots and skis. thought if there's a dump the board's coming out.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Specialman, roga, you guys want to get a move on and book, i think you may find it is full that weekend [well from the sunday ] as there is a bit of a SH's invasion
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just looked at the diary and she'll have to take some days off (which will be hard to sort without ruining the surprise). Might either head out ont he Thursday and come back ont he Sunday (21st) or leave it until late November and do a mid-weeker. Might have a bit more snow cover then (hopefully!!).

Masque, I'll be taking the board regardless - what are conditions like on the glacier? Soft snow? Ice?

Also, will it just be the glacier that's open at the end of November or will runs lower down be available if there's sufficient snow coverage?

Going a bit later means I might have a better pick of flights (and prices) too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Specialman, it would probably be better skiing-wise if you can go in the first half of December, it's more likely that more than just the glacier will be open. But flights will probably be more expensive and the lift pass that is inlcuded in the deal only covers the glacier - you would have to pay extra for the full area pass.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Specialman, The glacier can be anything from perfect piste to dirty grey polished ice . . . but the bashers do their best. It's probably too early for any significant or safe off-piste. If it's been cold enough to spark up the cannons or there's been a good early dump (preferably both) there may be a route down to Val Claret.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey, snow is snow to me so the glacier will be fine.

Think the week commencing 26th Nov is gonna be the best for us, pay day, probability of snow and all that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just checked out flights from Luton and does anybody know if these will fit around the transfers:

Luton > Geneva
Arrives at GVA 17:05pm

Geneva > Luton
Departs GVA 17:40pm or Departs GVA 21:55pm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, You'd be best checking with Joanne at Mountain Sun, I know that four of us are getting a (Sunday) flight out, landing at 1600, and will be in resort well before the flight for those that are on the transfer bus, leaves Luton Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Michelle, Have mailed her so hopefully will get an answer
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman, It will depend on how many have booked, as there are only limited places on the bus, but it leaves quite late to tie in with the last flight from Luton.

When are you looking to go, if your it might be worth starting a thread of your own to car share if you're not successful in gaining places on the transfer bus ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, have asked for availability for 27th Nov to 30th Nov.

Good idea about car share though - might be worth a punt if we're unlucky with the bus
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Specialman wrote:

But what happens if it's just long pitches of glacier ice? Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, you're only jealous wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelle wrote:
rob@rar, you're only jealous wink

Not at all, I love skiing on long pitches of glacier ice. Not...

I'll be in Tignes 27 Oct - 3 Nov doing a course on the Grand Motte, although I don't think this overlaps with any of the Atomic tests that snowHeads are attending so I guess I'll miss the fun Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Specialman, those flight times to line up with minibus transfer - I am on those flights in Dec (you'll have to amuse yourself in the bar on arrival though as the bus wont leave till later in the evening, maybe not till 9.00ish). as others have said the issue is whether or not the bus has space.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
...you'll have to amuse yourself in the bar on arrival...

It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Joanne Mountainsun, Atomic UK, it has been suggested on another thread that the busses from the hotel to the funicular are a little limited in the pre-season period. Can you advise on how we get from one to the other.

On a similar issue, I was wondering about the ski test. Being so far from the hotel, how does the exchanging of skis work out through the day.

Thanks
ski holidays
Ray Zorro wrote:
Being so far from the hotel, how does the exchanging of skis work out through the day.

When I've seen ski tests being run at Tignes the manufacturers will set up base at the bottom of the funicular, as well as having a slightly smaller setup at the top of the funicular on the Panoramique restaurant terrace. Maybe this is how Atomic will run this this autumn?
snow report
rob@rar, Will there be snow at the bottom of the funicular in less than a month's time Confused
snow conditions
Dear All

Just to clear things up so that people thinking of booking are not getting any wrong impressions about our offer :

YES it's true and we make no secret that buses are indeed limited. We are running this offer on the assumption that people will want to be skiing for much of the day rather than busing up and down the hill so we figure that this is not a problem. Bus times as yet unconfirmed, however there will be a bus in time to get you to the glacier in time for first lift. Generally people booking who don't think they want to deal with limited public transport have gone for the car hire option.

This is an outstanding offer - and in order to be able to run it for this price we are on a very tight budget and is therefore a little different to usual, expensive ski test breaks. Skis will be at the hotel and Atomic will not be setting up a base at the foot of the glacier for everyone to keep swapping skis. You will be able to try different skis, but unfortunately only on a daily basis - unless you are prepared to get the bus back down to the hotel to change over during the day.

To reiterate - we are offering you a three day break including transfers (at set times), half board accommodation, lift pass and use of equiptment all for an unbeatable £99. We are totally committed to ensuring that our guests have a great time. Unfortunately we're not located next to the glacier but it's still a smashing offer
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Specialman wrote:

But what happens if it's just long pitches of glacier ice? Toofy Grin

We can't guarantee the weather unfortunately - offer is running for two and a half months. There'll be some days where it's long patches of glacier ice, there'll be some where it's freezing cold, and some where it's warm, some windy, some calm...there'll also be days of powder!!

It's luck of the draw ... bring on the snow snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Bus times as yet unconfirmed, however there will be a bus in time to get you to the glacier in time for first lift

Joanne Mountainsun, Laughing If I recall correctly that is 07:00 Shocked I bet not too many snowheads will be on that one Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin, for some snowHead s the prostate is a remarkably effective alarm clock.
snow report
Specialman wrote:
Just looked at the diary and she'll have to take some days off (which will be hard to sort without ruining the surprise). Might either head out ont he Thursday and come back ont he Sunday (21st) or leave it until late November and do a mid-weeker. Might have a bit more snow cover then (hopefully!!).

Masque, I'll be taking the board regardless - what are conditions like on the glacier? Soft snow? Ice?

Also, will it just be the glacier that's open at the end of November or will runs lower down be available if there's sufficient snow coverage?

Going a bit later means I might have a better pick of flights (and prices) too.

Conditions will vary from day to day. I was out there mid August - went up the glacier on a Wednesday and it was ice early on and slush later - what you'd expect for the end of a hot summer. It then dumped for two days up there and by Saturday morning it was powder and out came the snowboard !

It is possilbe that if there is good snow through Autunm more of the area will open. The lift company will (understandably) give no guarantees of their intentions except that the full winter season starts around 16th December. The lift pass we are providing is for the glacier - if more runs are open and an upgrade is required to use other lifts you will need to pay for your upgrade; if this was the case the cost would be small.

I think there are more choice of flights later depending on where you want to fly from.

Let it snow!!
snow conditions
Can't see my teens getting out for 07:00 Laughing

It would be probably be best to get a taxi if travelling is required outside of the bus times. I wouldn't have thought that would break the bank - anyone any ideas on the fare for 4 people + skis?
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:
Just checked out flights from Luton and does anybody know if these will fit around the transfers:

Luton > Geneva
Arrives at GVA 17:05pm

Geneva > Luton
Departs GVA 17:40pm or Departs GVA 21:55pm

Transfers from Geneva will be set to accommodate evening flights and will not leave Geneva before 8pm. There will inevitably be some waiting for some people on occasions but we will try to keep this to a minimum. If you prefer to get a morning flight and spend the day in Geneva this is very easy to do as there is a direct train from airport to town, and a good left luggage facility in the airport. Return transfers will leave the resort around 16.30 – 17.00 in order for guests to have a third day of skiing. It is important therefore that your return flight is after 21.00 on your way home.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, Depends which bank wink Very Happy
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:

Bus times as yet unconfirmed, however there will be a bus in time to get you to the glacier in time for first lift

Joanne Mountainsun, Laughing If I recall correctly that is 07:00 Shocked I bet not too many snowheads will be on that one Toofy Grin

It's 7am during the summer. Autunm season the glacier opens around 8.30 and stays open later in the day (till around 3.45).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro wrote:
Can't see my teens getting out for 07:00 Laughing

It would be probably be best to get a taxi if travelling is required outside of the bus times. I wouldn't have thought that would break the bank - anyone any ideas on the fare for 4 people + skis?

I will find out for you - probably won't be able to give an answer until around 24th September as the hotel is closed at the moment to give the staff a couple of weeks holiday, but they'll be back next week. If I forget to post the info remind me!
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:

In November the first train is 8.30am (there's an earlier train if you have a Trainer's pass). However, the queue for this first lift can get very busy so I try to be at the funicular no later than 8.10 to ensure I get on that first train. The next train is at 9.00am. Last train down I think is at 4.00pm, with lifts on the galcie clsoing at 3.30.
snow conditions
BF and I are flying out on the 29th Nov- 2nd December, we're hiring a car at Geneva though as the transfer on thursday night was full! Anyone else out there when we are?
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, according to this previous post http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=686127#686127 Mrs & Mrs Phillip Stanton Very Happy
snow report
cathy, well aren't they just the luckiest people!
ski holidays
[quote="Joanne Mountainsun"]
Ray Zorro wrote:

I will find out for you - probably won't be able to give an answer until around 24th September as the hotel is closed at the moment to give the staff a couple of weeks holiday, but they'll be back next week. If I forget to post the info remind me!

As promised I have found out information about taxis - taxis are available and can be pre-booked the evening before. For a 8 seater it's approx. 20 euros.
snow conditions
Joanne Mountainsun, blimey 20 euros all the way to geneva from tignes for 8 people Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin where do i book
snow report
Don't let CEM, carry your Duty Free's to the Aircraft Toofy Grin
latest report
Spyderman, refund sorted + voucher as apology Toofy Grin
snow report
CEM, The Boots aren't that bad, but thanks for the offer and the voucher will be nice. Toofy Grin
latest report
I cant believe i have only just seen this now. I may be forced to have another outing. I think i will have to take the gf though to sweeten her up before my winter outings without her. Does anyone know if this has been released nationally yet as i am pretty limited about dates and would imagine it would be pretty full already. Hopefully aquire some boots before the pre-season bash.
snow conditions
punts, the offer has appeared in a few places now, it's certainly mentioned in this month's edition of Fall Line skimag. Your best bet would be to drop Joanne Mountainsun a PM and see what availability they've got left.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy