Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inserting an edge.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know its something the pros can do but any way one can DIY an piece of edge from a donor ski into one you'd like to keep alive, with a bit of base patching too?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
problem is the donor ski is normally worn away to an extent, the stuff you buy to do the job professionally is slightly oversize so you can then machine it flush with the existing bit, the job itelf is relatively easy to do if you have the correct glue and the right tools [ a junior hacksaw and a bench grinder for the edge and all the normal patching tools, the edge is cut at a 45 degree angle to create a mitre and hold the new piece of edge in place, the cut out of the old edge needs to be on a solid area or it is very dificult to stop the whole thing from coming apart...

how much do you really want to save the skis Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, Take it to a man who can?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, What CEM says. Let me know if you want any edge/base stock & pucka glue.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 16-07-07 20:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.telemarktips.com/BaseRepair.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure its worth a pro job - they are my big ass tele skis and its on the outside edge which unfortunately you tend to use teleing. The skis were pretty used when I got them so they didn't cost a lot but I happen to like them as they are the old red XXX.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, speak to spyderjon the parts are not that expensive, depends on what size tube of glue he is supplying

spyderjon, what glue are you supplying these days tecnicoll??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob,

Can't see this working to any useful purpose. To my knowledge these edges are the lenght of the ski and people don't even like to weld them let alone glue a patch in. A stop gap measure IMV and what happens if you break it again on the hill. I think it is more hassle than it is worth. IMHO, of course.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did wonder if this was a thread citing a vicious form of punishment Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, an edge replacement is a fairly simple and if done properly pretty permenant repair, the glue used is an engineering quality epoxy and the only real danger is you have a direct impact on the same spot , one of the first skis i owned had to have this done after i hit a rather large rock on cairngorm after 3 days use...... there does come a point if the edge is worn down that it becomes impractical to do the repair, as to get the best finish you have to remove a bit more material, but as i said , i have done dozens of them over the years and not had many problems
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM, I've only done this repair 4 times myself, 2 practice goes & then 2 for customers on an foc non-warrantied basis as I wasn't experienced doing it. I used 2011 each time to allow me to re-adjust the edge position if necessary when clamping & to give flexibility/waterproofing once cured. I did look at the Tecnicoll adhesive range but it was megabucks unless I bought about 10kg & the small tubes were still waaay too large for the amount I'd use.

The two practice goes I did were opposite edges on the same gash B2 ski, directly underfoot & about 100mm long. After curing I supported the tip/tail between two axle stands & deflected the ski about a foot a good few times & the repairs held great so that's the method I used for the other two - which have both had a week on snow since & are apparently fine.

I've got three different replacement edge profiles that I can choose from, which initially all look the same but differ slightly in thickness to enable me to select a thickness that's only just slightly thicker than required to minimise the dressing down.

Were my technique differs from that in comprex's link is that I cut the p-tex base away about 10mm bigger in length & width than the size of the edge repair so that the joint lines aren't then on top of each other & it was then easier to get the levels smooth. And rather than cutting out the edge section in a dovetail I cut both at 45 degrees but parallel to each other, with the both ends trailing in the direction of travel of the ski (ie, a parallelogram shaped repair). It's easier to fit this shape to a finer tolerance than a dovetail but it equally secure, especially with the fine headed 'gimp' pins that I used to secure the repair section in place.

fatbob, if you're going to the Castleford test this weekend bring the ski with you & I'll have a look.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
And rather than cutting out the edge section in a dovetail I cut both at 45 degrees but parallel to each other, with the both ends trailing in the direction of travel of the ski (ie, a parallelogram shaped repair). It's easier to fit this shape to a finer tolerance than a dovetail but it equally secure, especially with the fine headed 'gimp' pins that I used to secure the repair section in place.

Interesting. No noticeable discontinuity at the very front at the very extreme of flex?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, That's one of the reasons I used 2011 as it's pretty flexible & also tested/practiced on a well used B2 as was pretty soft.

At about 12" of deflection (my 200lb mate standing in the bindings) I could just feel a very slight ridge under the p-tex at each end of the repair section but it went back super smooth when the ski returned back to normal camber. This is why I made the base patch waay bigger than the edge repair size.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, not sure who does technicoll over here right now, Orion equip used be the importer with the KT range, pricey glue but really really great stuff
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not planning on going up to Cas unfortunately as its a bit far for an expat Northerner like me though I do have the day free.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy