Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stupid Q Regarding Sport-Conrad Purchase

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm all set to buy some skis on sport-conrad.com (can't beat the prices). I've selected my skis and bindings, but when I get to the checkout, I'm asked for a "sole lenght in mm". This may be daft, but is this simply refering to my shoe size (43 = 430 mm?). In that case, why not just ask for "boot size"? Or is this something different (never bought skis before, if you couldn't tell).

That's all
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ami in berlin wrote:
I'm asked for a "sole lenght in mm".

That is exactly what is required, your boots will have the sole length printed on them somewhere, usually underneath or just on the side of the heel plate.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
srobbo wrote:
ami in berlin wrote:
I'm asked for a "sole lenght in mm".

That is exactly what is required, your boots will have the sole length printed on them somewhere, usually underneath or just on the side of the heel plate.

The reason for this is that some manufacturers sole lengths are different to others even though the boots are the same shoe size.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ami in berlin,
As said, it is the sole lenght and you will have a centre point marked on your boot which will match up with a centre point on the skis for mounting the bindings........... centrally. Some people liked their bindings mounted plus or minus this centre point for reasons of their own.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But I want to buy my boots after purchasing the skis. Does this mean I cannot do this?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sure, you can do it, but you'll have to have someone other than Sport Conrad mount the bindings.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ami in berlin wrote:
But I want to buy my boots after purchasing the skis. Does this mean I cannot do this?

Buy your skis w/o bindings mounted. Some of the railflex and similar bindings you may be able to manage yourself. More traditional 'flat' bindings you'll have to get drilled. If you are buying boots from a reputable ski shop, take your skis, and see if you can persuade them as part of your purchase to mout your bindings. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. Makes sense. Just one thing, though. It strikes me a rather impractical. If, for instance, I get seperated from my boots and am forced to rent, I have to get my bindings remounted? Essentially, this means that nobody can ever own a pair of skis without owning boots first? And if I want to test out diffferent boots before buying, each time I'll have to remount the bindings? In a perfect world, wouldn't there be some sort of universal standard, or at least bindings that are easily enough adjusteable (and there are, right? How else would rental shops operate?).

It's not a major hassle, it just strikes me as impractical.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ami in berlin, Forget trying different boots before buying, how do you expect this to work?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ami in berlin, I think you've got things the wrong way round - you get boots first, get them fitted, and then when you go to demo skis, they have demo bindings that are adjustable.

Many bindings are easily adjustable now, but if you are switching from one boot to another, the binding release settings need to be checked and adjusted.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ami in berlin, Many piste oriented skis are moving to mounting the bindings on a rail system (claiming that this offers benefits in how the ski can flex). these are fully adjustable along the rail - so all boot sizes are accomodated.

Traditionally mounted bindings (skis get drilled and the bindings are screwed in pace) do still have some adjustment possible, but not as much. Hence, the binding would need to be remounted to cater for large changes in boot size.

I've had skis with traditional bindings that have been tweaked without remounting when I've changed boots. It's likely that when you do the same the your new boots will not vary much in shell length from your old ones and a fine adjustement of a few millimeters can be made to any skis and bindings that you have at that time without needing to remount the bindings.

Hope this has helped.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I realise I may be doing this bass ackwards, but again, practicality.

The skis are available now in the appropriate size at a nice price. And they can be ordered with a mouse click.

For the boots, I have to get down to the shop. This being Germany, judging by shop opening hours, you'd think it were still a Communist country. So it might take a few weeks (or a month) until I have time for that. In that time, I suspect the skis will be gone.

I'm very reluctant to buy boots online, and the ones they are selling are all in bizzare sizes anyway.

So I'll buy them without the bindings mounted. Maybe I'll get the mounting thrown in free with the boot purcahse, although again, this being Germany, people are used to getting the service they are given, not the service they may want.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a pair of x wave boots UK size 8 Euro size 42 boot length 306mm..

I think most drilled as opposed to rail type bindings have some fore and aft movement to allow for slightly differing boot sizes but I doubt if this could cope with say the difference between a size 12 feet and size 5 with out re drilling but they can cope with me buying different boots of my size which may be a few millimetres different.

If the bindings fit on to rails on/in the ski then life is easier

a) no drilling
b) boot size adjustment it usually very easy

My skis have Elan bindings on them you just move these up and down the ski on the rails to get the right boot size no tools required fantastic.

The downside to the Elan bindings is they will mostly likely only fit well on Elan skis..

So not a stupid question I think..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cfc5mu0, they aren't Elan bindings - they are Tyrolia, I'd guess. (same as Head & Fischer)

Boot sizes and sole lengths vary a lot, and then you go to a bootfitter who puts you in ones that are 1-2 sizes smaller than before.

Your boots are not UK size 8, nor are they Euro 42. They will be a mondopoint size - I'd guess 26 or 26.5. The relation between this size and the length of the sole will vary by manufacturer and boot model, so a 26.5 Salomon Xwave8 may be 306mm, but a Salomon Course may me 300mm. The Rossignol equivalent might be 310mm. The Technica could be 295.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I guess its too far to get to the sport conrad shops to combine ski pick up with boot fitting?
snow conditions
dan100 wrote:
I guess its too far to get to the sport conrad shops to combine ski pick up with boot fitting?

Considering the nearest shop (actually all of them) is south of Munich, I'm going to rule that out. Would be ideal, of course, but rather impractical in this case.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Yes probably not Elan although they say Elan on them!! So they may be they fit on Head or Fisher Ski's...hurrah
snow conditions
cfc5mu0, check out:
www.tyrolia.com

From memory... Tyrolia FF17 = Elan ER17 Free Flex
The railflex ones are RFD11 / RFD14 for Tyrolia, probably EFD for Elan.
ski holidays
RFD look like them..except they have a kind of small plate in the middle that lifts (no need for tools) and then if you push the toe piece the heal piece moves at the same time..and all the movment gubbins seem to be mounted "in the ski" rather than on a plate??

But Ami's question still stands say he has boots like mine 306 sole buys another pair say with a 310mm sole will his skis drilled and mounted for the 306's fit the 310? I think yes..and at what point would this stop?
snow report
cfc5mu0, what you have is the 'Fusion' system.
snow report
Well I managed to sneak off work early to get to the local ski shop Friday afternoon before closing.

I walk in, look around for about 30 seconds, and the guy working there asks if I'm looking for anything.

"Why yes, ski boots!" I say.

He could not have looked more surprised had I asked to buy a space suit.

No ski boots on sale at the "Ski Shop Charlottenburg". Nope. He told me to come back in October. They'll only selling inline skates and such things now.

So if I want discount skis, I'll have to get them before I get boots. No problem, really.
snow conditions
ami in berlin, order/pay for your skis from Conrad now but tell them to hang on to them for a few months until you get boots & can give them a sole length.
latest report
spyderjon, now there is a good idea Cool Cool
ski holidays
skimottaret, Toofy Grin
snow report
ami in berlin,

Yes but you don't need to actually mount the bindings - so buy the ski's get them delivered with binds but undrilled and then when you have your boots go get it all fixed up
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy