Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much time do you need a year on snow to improve?

Poster: A snowHead
Well, I tried to resist...bwth.....

little tiger, I printed out what I objected to....... if I objected to anything else, I would have pointed that out too.
Your very stubborn streak obviously does you good in some respects but it can make you a PITA for others. As I've said, I...and others...had to sit through an entire dinner of you in this mode... and some of the other diners had taken the course you were pulling to pieces. Again, fine, your opinion.

Just to point out the stupidity in your logic, tho'...if you never have lessons you'll always be worse than useless... if you take your line absolutley.

I don't know FastMan but he has his courses and beliefs and I have no problem with his stance. If you buy into what he teaches, then fine, its your money. From this stand point, its all marketing...and no problem with that. To know any different you'd have to go there.

As regards fastman coming to your defence, I said if you had toned the line down, it wouldn't have been a issue at all... more of a throwaway line, almost, but then when you get the bit between your teeth, you go round and round speaking louder and louder and ..well, those who have seen this is action, can just tell what it is going to be like in print.... So, off you go..round and round ..and you'll end up arguing with yourself... as you did that night because no one else could get a word in edgeways....... but then they were a bit speechless from your rant, so you took it to repeat your particular mantra.

I'll give your posts a miss next time until you wind it in...somewhat
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT, it's a reasonable speculation that my purpose in posting here is to market a product. Why else would someone spend the time it takes to compose the posts I offer here?

IF SOMEONE CAN ANSWER THAT QUESTION (not Little Tiger), I MAY CONTINUE TO POST. If, however, everyone here sees me as nothing more than a salesman, I'm gone.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FastMan, I see you as more than a salesman, but who on earth cares what I think?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually, IMHO, that was a very silly remark for JT to make but, FWIW, my guess is that he didn't actually mean it. This is what happens when people fire off their views in heat, don't self-censor and then add insult to injury by attempting a word for-word-analysis of what someone else has posted in exactly the same frame of mind.

I'd like to express the following with emphasis: THIS IS AN INSTRUCTIONAL/TECHNICAL ZONE. I HAVE A LIFETIME'S EXPERIENCE AND SOME (ADMITTEDLY OBSCURE) QUALIFICATIONS IN PEDANTRY. THEREFORE ONLY I AM ALLOWED TO UNDERTAKE FORENSIC ANALYSES OF OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS. NOBODY ELSE IS ALLOWED TO CARRY OUT SUCH ANALYSIS EXCEPT MY CHIEF ACOLYTE, LAUNDRYMAN, WHO HAS ALREADY MORE THAN PROVED HIS EXPERTISE. There are others who have demonstrated that they are at least learning by example, if not taking actual instruction: they will soon receive the designation 'Advanced Intermediate' which Laundryman has already attained. As is well-known, I am not in my first youth and, additionally, have certain commitment issues: this is why I shall not be undertaking the training required for the Chartered Pedantry qualification, without which one cannot claim more than Advanced status. (This is fine by me, the more extreme highways and byways of the Expert curriculum, such as those which involve jumping over overhangs, are not to my taste in any event.)

BTW, I'm far from sure that 'instructional' is a word... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FastMan, One could make a statement about a vocal minority, but sometimes, it's just not worth it! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FastMan, carry on posting mate! from what i have read on other threads your posts have been very articulate, compact and useful. You have a clear point of view but I think you may be in the crossfire a bit being so close to your star pupil from the emerald isle wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, did you read the question? Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, Which one?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight,
Quote:

it's a reasonable speculation that my purpose in posting here is to market a product. Why else would someone spend the time it takes to compose the posts I offer here?

IF SOMEONE CAN ANSWER THAT QUESTION (not Little Tiger), I MAY CONTINUE TO POST

That one.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight, the one I'm not allowed to answer.... because I KNOW the answer and have for years!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, that one! FastMan, already knows my views! wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight, I bet I could guess Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, Fastmans star pupil was from the USA and skied better than I'd ever think to ski in my wildest dreams!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Fastmans star pupil?

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Thank God for some levity, I must say that that's in short supply in some of these technical threads. Information is all very well and good, but it could sometimes usefully be leavened with something a bit lighter. rolling eyes I'm off to the pub now!
snow conditions
Hurtle, yeah picking on disabled athletes is SZK's fav sport... very school yard behaviour... some seem to find it amusing.. I don't!
latest report
little tiger, I see where you're coming from, but do try to lighten up. A bit of humour - which I'm sure was not maliciously offered up - really does help the wheels run more smoothly.
ski holidays
little tiger,

Quote:

picking on disabled athletes is SZK's fav sport

Do you know what i do for a living? rolling eyes
snow report
little tiger,
Quote:

It is basic bully boy type behaviour - nothing more

I could just shout louder to try and make my point more valid. Cool
snow report
little tiger, My disability is that i'm a bully and like you i pay someone huge amounts of money, to pay attention to me. We're all disabled! Cool
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, go on shout you know you want to Toofy Grin , she just needs another arguement to keep her streak going on this thread Laughing
latest report
slikedges wrote:

FastMan, Welcome to snowHeads
Great first post - excellent info and insight!!

slikedges wrote:
FastMan,
Quote:

I think you may be losing some people because they have the idea you are saying the skis can be edged to high angles solely with the ankle, without the knee having to move at all laterally from a position directly above the foot (shin 90 degrees to the snow).

As usual you're straight to the heart of the matter. Unfortunately some people...

slikedges wrote:

Of course Martin Bell's and FastMan's posts are always hugely valuable and influential but unfortunately they are relatively infrequent contributors...

Please keep posting - I am personally in no doubt that your knowledge, understanding and experience of racing/teaching/coaching, together with your ability to convey it in a relevant and coherent manner are unsurpassed on this site.
snow conditions
slikedges,I fear you or someone are going to have to answer his question to get that result
snow report
FastMan wrote:
Why else would someone spend the time it takes to compose the posts I offer here?

Because, like the rest of us here obsessing about a sport most of us only get the opportunity to practice for a few measly weeks a year, you have a passion for what you do, and want to share that knowledge? And as, unlike the vast majority of the rest of us, you've been doing it at a very high level for apparently close on 50 years, you quite rightly think that we may value the weight that experience brings to your words? As slikedges says, it would be great if there were more of them - but I think we are all grateful for those you can spare.
ski holidays
Martin Bell wrote:
Well, leaving aside dry/indoor slopes for a moment, say that person had a choice between a single fortnight's trip or 6 weekends spread through the season, perhaps at two or three week intervals. Both amounting to 12 days on snow. You could almost argue for the latter, as the student would be physically (and mentally) fresh each weekend.
(With one proviso: low-altitude skiing. For sea-level dwellers skiing somewhere high like, say, Colorado, the acclimatisation effect becomes very beneficial in the second week.)

To bring this thread back on topic:-
I skied 35 days (or part thereof) last season and I’m over 30. The EoSB was the only time I skied more than 4 consecutive days. Most of my skiing was 2 or 3 days a week spread though out the season.
I think I have improved greatly last season and have been told by others that I have.
I’ve had some lessons (I had never skied a “shaped” ski before February 2006 so obviously I needed at least one lesson) but time on snow regularly has helped me most.

If I didn’t live near a ski centre and wanted to improve I would defiantly pick 6 weekends over 2 one week holidays.
snow report
little tiger, I doubt someone as enlightened and cogent would descend to your expectation
snow report
slikedges, I probably know him a little better... He is usually true to his word unlike most of the population.
snow conditions
little tiger wrote:
slikedges,I fear you or someone are going to have to answer his question to get that result

Someone did.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle,

I am not sure what I am meant to apologise for. I said I had no problem with his stance, be it advice or marketing.

It's all fun here..Laughing
snow conditions
II, Your skiing has improved greatly in this last year. How about we diet and get fit......... or shall we just dream about what we could achieve.

FastMan, IMHO the opinion of experts is always valued and I am sure you are an expert with tonnes (sorry couldn't help that one rolling eyes ) of experience. Your only problem is that your star SnowHead pupil uses a "wall of sound" to back up her opinions. We all realise that you are one of "my (race) instructors" but viewing your posts objectivley through this wall is most difficult.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE
little tiger, has done wonders with her own skiing and her knowledge of technical issues is quite breathtaking. It puzzles me how she has had success with instructors as I have found the best way to get the most out of lessons is to listen and absorb the views of another person i.e The Instructor.

The picture above is of an amputee pirate. little tiger, you are neither. Its not your disability that people have an issue with, it is your all conquering belief that yours is the definative argument or experience, and that we all need to know about it.

I have had far more experience in life than in skiing and am quite prepared to be your Race of Life Coach.

Let us start at the beginning:

Lesson 1: When meeting new people and it is very important that you get them to talk to you. Try and ask them questions that will help them open up to you, if you show an interest in what they have to say they will like you and will also listen with interest to what you say. If your sentances contain the words ME, MY & I too often then you will fail.

Best Wishes
latest report
JT,
Quote:

I am not sure what I am meant to apologise for

Neither am I.
ski holidays
Hurtle, JT,i Think it may be for your comment that fastmans post are for marketing purposes for his business and not his pure egalitarian motives.

he seems a pretty straight shooter to me and the marketing comment was a bit harsh in my view wink
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
We all realise that you are one of "my (race) instructors"

Actually he is not unless you are speaking of a post I have made AFTER April 2007... I'd never skied with him until last March.. although he has been kind enough to assist me free of charge over the years via the internet...

I do have a couple of instructors at home that are race coaches... but lets not be accurate will we... It is far easier to throw around a heap of half truths and personal insults than argue a point of view...
latest report
Quote:

Actually he is not unless you are speaking of a post I have made AFTER April 2007... I'd never skied with him until last March.. although he has been kind enough to assist me free of charge over the years via the internet...

So does that mean he has not coached you? Puzzled
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, surely with only a few lessons since march of this year fastman doesnt count as a (race) instructor. how dare you throw such half truths about. i would be personally insulted as well if one of my stable of instructors who i idolise and refer to endlessly somehow gets promted to (race) instructor after such a short period. how dare you Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
skimottaret, I have said my bit, perhaps more than I should have, but I shall leave it at that.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, WANTED: Life Racing Myth #1-#4 threads. Laughing

Maybe in Apres though.
snow report
comprex, life is a one off race.......unfortunately I can see the finish line wink
snow conditions
skimottaret,

My point is that I don't know Fastman's courses, only what he tells us. I am sure he has many gems to share and I wouldn't mind reading them.
I don't always agree with comprex or veeeight who contribute lots of stuff and good pointers but I admire the fact that they do so and they have obvious enthusiasm and dedication amongst other things. They certainly connect with their insights, thoughts and working practises.
And I tend to think most people can contribute to these threads, if only just to say, I tried that, and it didn't work for me. That is a valid contribution to my mind.

FastMan, I think you are marketing...... but I wouldn't say exclusively, but since you got so vexxed and went overboard on a supposed slight in the 1st place, I'll watch your posts to see what you contribute in the future.
snow report
little tiger, I'm pretty sure you'd do well to take up Frosty the Snowman's offer. For you, skiing can wait.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy