Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot dryers

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend any particular make of these?

I'm thinking of getting some for our guests but the heated bit on the ones I've found on a few internet sites seems to be a straight 'stick' so won't get into the toe area of the boot (warm toes are essential Very Happy )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
straight stick works fine, they're heating the air in the boot so it doesn't matter what shape they are.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ben wright, I think the best way to get warm dry feet is take the inner boot (lining) out at night. Boot-warmers sound a good idea, but has anyone actually assess whether they work? I suspect they just give you a warm but still damp liner.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have some which work fine.... like I said Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can these boot dryers get too hot and effect thermally fitted inserts
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Russell, That's something I've always worried about!

I've got a set of Dryzone....they're a couple of bags of crystals that you hang in your boots overnight and they suck up all the moisture. They work really well but are heavy to take away if you're on the edge of the baggage limit.

Sorry ben wright not much help to you!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
homphomp, Never thought of using silica gel bags get loads from work and they dry out on a radiator to keeps them working.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homphomp, the Dryzone things (or any old silica gel bags) look useful. I guess dry and cool is better than hot and wet (depending on what you're up to!).

How do they perform with a boot that's had a bit of snow in it rather than just sweaty feet?

Weight isn't a problem, I'll be heading over to France for the season in a minibus with plenty of room in it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Russell wrote:
Can these boot dryers get too hot and effect thermally fitted inserts

No, I think not, it's a very low heat level, stateside you see some advertised that'll dry boots in an hour, I'd worry about those. For the ones we use you need them on overnight in a reasonably ventilated area.

This has the ones we have, the "HAPPY Schuhtrockner", obviously you may be better off with the continental plug on them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got warned not to put my boots on a drier when I bought them (from Lockwoods). Heat-moulded liners and custom foot-beds. Having said that, everywhere I've been, the driers were racked up full, and some of those people must have had moulded liners.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought a 'Thermic' boot warmer on recommendation by the guy who fitted my boots in Courchevel. Best £20 I've spent on skiing gear.

They're basically a pair of plastic covered heater elements that you drop into each liner & they sit just above the base of the liner on four little legs (see page 123 in the new S&R catalogue).

I wouldn't even describe them as hot to the touch, just warm, so no worries about knackering the moulded liners or footbeds - or even the chance of igniting the liner, which was my initial concern.

They're most effective if you remove the liners from the boots. I also remove my footbeds & just let them airdry, which also allows any moisture under the footbed to be dried by the warmer.

Because they offer just a slow warming they do take a good few hours to completely dry out a pair of liners so I put them in my liners when we've finished
skiing late afternoon & then swap them to Deb's liners before we go to bed, leaving them on overnight. One of the benefits of this type versus the 'hair dryer' type is that they're silent!

In Saas Fee in July it was too warm in the hotel for them to have the heating on & so we didn't have any radiators to dry our gloves on overnight, especially as they got pretty sweaty in the daytime in the spring temperatures. Solution - I bought another pair of warmers for our gloves. The second best £20 I've spent on skiing gear!

Oh yes, they're also compact & quite light.

You'd think that I was sponsored by Thermic wouldn't you Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ben, If you go Boite Utile in abertville you'll find boot dryers/warmers for about 24 Euros. I'll be buying some these season, (more money for EDF).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David@traxvax, are those the ones that hang in your boots though mains or the ciggie lighter?

And are they the mains ones any good?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I hope so, otherwise they'll be going back
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ben wright, Don't know how the Dryzone things work on snow filled boots but I suspect they'd do all right. I've got embarassingly sweaty feet so my boots are soaked pretty much by the end of every day and they work fine for me. Sling them in my boots when I get back, sling them on the radiator every morning and my feet are warm and toasty!

I assume that any old silica gel bags would work just as well but the Dryzones are shaped to fit down the boot legs and have a handy strap to hang them on the radiator with.
snow report
I take my inners out to dry overnight, but last season I was advised by a boot selling bloke and an instructor (independently) that nothing wears out your inners like taking them out and putting them in. They advised leaving them in until the end of the season (or holiday, in my case).
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
ben wright, I think the best way to get warm dry feet is take the inner boot (lining) out at night.

I've never worked out how to take the liners out of my boots.
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
I take my inners out to dry overnight, but last season I was advised by a boot selling bloke and an instructor (independently) that nothing wears out your inners like taking them out and putting them in. They advised leaving them in until the end of the season (or holiday, in my case).

I think it's a fairly marginal effect, for an instructor using them for so many days it's maybe an issue. The other problem is to be sure you're reseating them right each time. My inners only come out a couple of times a year.
latest report
ise, it certainly can be an exhausting business. And I did wonder whether is was good to take the liners out too often. But my boots do seem to get quite damp (I have rather sweaty feet), so maybe I should take a look at these boot warmers after all. Confused
snow conditions
Saw some last week in a big DIY store in Albertville. Like a fan heater with 4 rubber hoses on the outlet. 42€, looked ideal for a chalet and 'just' about small and light enough to cram into a ski/board bag.
latest report
Masque, I really wouldn't use that type, they're over the top compared the ones I posted the link for and I'd worry as mentioned above that the heat is too high for some thermo mouled inners/footbeds.
latest report
If you're just looking to dry your boots, i.e. not warm them as well, then take them to your room, and just put a fan on them - no heat, no tubes inside them.
I learned this trick from friends in SLC. The heat of a room, and the fan circulating the air is enough to dry out boots overnight.
snow report
I have a Thermic boot dryer from Snow & Rock. It's like a hair dryer with two long nozzles with curled up bits on the ends, one for each boot. At nearly £40 it's a bit too expensive to buy for guests, as you need to use it all night (it's vaguely warm, rather than hot), but, it's fantastic Very Happy . Well worth the money, especially if it's not yours! Put it on your Christmas list - I did!
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, all you need is a fan then Very Happy

maggi, that's sounds fine but it costs 4 times the amount of the ones we use.
snow report
ise, But I'm worth it Wink

(If you never get to see the L'Oreal adverts in Swizerland that will be wasted on you.....)
ski holidays
Hi, I found some really cheap ones here :http://www.aquastuff.net/index.php?category=26&itemId=108 , and delivery is pretty quick too.
Its a lot easier than leaving them to dry out next to the radiators for days Cool
ski holidays
I've got the same unit as Maggi and it is superb.
I've found that a couple of pairs of boots can be dried out overnight. The first set is dried between 5 and 11pm and the second between 11pm until you go back out to play. If you are lucky enough to be second in line then you get lovely lightly warmed boots in the AM.
It's got to be one of the best bits of kit I own.
latest report
I've used both the "hot rod" type and the hot air types in the boot room. Both work well and have not affected by thermal-set (Salomon) liners or Conformable footbeds.

In fact, I thought I got a better fit this Xmas in Italy - they had a new unit which was a bit warmer than their older one and the boots where warm to touch in the morning, and were much easier to get on and position the foot in. Then when they got into the outside air they stiffened up and I barely had to adjust them for the rest of the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have two sets - Thermic and Conformable. Nothing to choose between them. Why two ? To stop me and Mrs Ski fighting over who gets the warm boots of course ! Laughing
ski holidays
I was advised to dry/warm boots overnight if the weather's very cold. If anyone found their boots very difficult to put on last week, they'll know what I mean.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy