Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are women naturally better skiers than men?

Poster: A snowHead
A long (long) time ago I read in some ski mag that women are essentially better skiers than their male counterparts, because when the going get's challenging, they tend to be forced to rely more on good body technique rather than body strength. And also their core balance (e.g hips etc..) are more centred than men's. Whereas when the going gets tough for us men, we tend to get impatient and abandon technique for our natural body strength. I must admit, at that time when skis were unforgiving planks, I've been guilty of that from time to time - 'specially when skiing on an uncrowded run, away from everybody's critical eyes..
But I wonder if that applies today. When ski equipment these days almost does the skiing for you. Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is your precise definition of 'better'?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From the male perspective

Like all questions it depends on who is asking- if it is the lady - As any man would know the correct answer is "yes dear"..

If it is another man? The correct answer "I don't care is it your round?" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

As any man would know the correct answer is "yes dear"..

What an extremely well house-trained individual you are. I assume you are respectably married?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Point taken Whitegold. I will rephrase that opening question with; Are women more able skiers than men? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Of course they are. And their bums don't look big in salopettes either
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In general:

1. They make much better students, actively listening
2. They make much better students, actually trying out what you want them to do
3. They make much better students, wanting to perfect technique to get them through the rough times
4. They make much better students, as they have little ego to bruise, and not having looking good in front of their mates a priority

But they do have their downsides too!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, no, maybe, but why be sexist? Does it really matter?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm better than Fox!

What does that say about me? Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blade wrote:
A long (long) time ago I read in some ski mag that women are essentially better skiers than their male counterparts, because when the going get's challenging, they tend to be forced to rely more on good body technique rather than body strength. And also their core balance (e.g hips etc..) are more centred than men's. Whereas when the going gets tough for us men, we tend to get impatient and abandon technique for our natural body strength. I must admit, at that time when skis were unforgiving planks, I've been guilty of that from time to time - 'specially when skiing on an uncrowded run, away from everybody's critical eyes..

I think that's nothing but a bunch of rubbish.

Quote:

But I wonder if that applies today. When ski equipment these days almost does the skiing for you. Cool

I think this is also rubbish.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No. ....generally, but of course, there are naturally talented women skiers just as there are male duffers.

Women may have a tendancy to learn better and might grasp the technicalites better than men but then they might crap out when the going gets tough.
So what makes them better or worse... the abilty to look stylish or the inability to get down something ..???
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd say the more balanced ego and willingness to learn would make them better learners. Biomechanically now they no longer have to deal with unisex skis essentially desgned by men for men too. Main question would be with the lack of testosterone/greater sense of perspective is would they (in general) push themselves as hard as less able men?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blade wrote:
Quote:

Point taken Whitegold. I will rephrase that opening question with; Are women more able skiers than men? wink

If you ask a clock on a racecourse, it will tell you men typically outperform women.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Blade wrote:
Quote:

If you ask a clock on a racecourse, it will tell you men typically outperform women.

My husband can kick my butt down the hill almost all the time. But if we were to be video taped, you would likely say I'm smoother and have better technique.
Heck, even he says he only beats me down the hill because he takes less turns and I'm a lot more skilled.
Does this mean women are better?
No!
It means I take more pride in improving, and I think most women do!
I think guys, tend to just want to keep up with the guys.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold wrote:
Blade wrote:
Quote:

But who looks better doing it in a cat suit NehNeh
ski holidays
II, a cat.
latest report
abc... Thou dost protest too much wink
WTFH, take off your Ambassador jacket. Confused
snow report
Blade, why, is there a puddle ahead that a lady is about to walk through?
snow conditions
Well, I think I've seen quite a battery of evidence that says women are technically better car drivers than men, so I guess for all the same reasons women could be technically better skiers too (once we've learned the basics of course!)
snow conditions
Megamum, and there's a lot of evidence that says that technically only works when the road is wide, straight and empty and does not require parallel parking, or have shops with sales on nearby! Laughing
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, were you reading this news story?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6705323.stm

If so that's very naughty of you to generalise NehNeh
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Megamum, and there's a lot of evidence that says that technically only works when the road is wide, straight and empty and does not require parallel parking, or have shops with sales on nearby! Laughing

THIS! From the man who needed to get a ride to the airport to get his lost luggage!
You didn't ask for my driving record when you wanted your "well traveled luggage" Laughing
latest report
Badly framed question...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Megamum, there's a battery of evidence says women are safer drivers, which isn't necessarily the same thing.
snow report
SnowHot wrote:

THIS! From the man who needed to get a ride to the airport to get his lost luggage!
Maybe you should ask one of your drunken friends to assist you the next time. Laughing

Hmm. Good idea, make a Hogtown liquor run.
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
Badly framed question...

Zackly. The word 'expert' doesn't occur once.
snow conditions
SnowHot wrote:
My husband can kick my butt down the hill almost all the time. But if we were to be video taped, you would likely say I'm smoother and have better technique.
Heck, even he says he only beats me down the hill because he takes less turns and I'm a lot more skilled.

Are you my wife or am I your husband? Because that is exactly what I tell my wife too. Shocked
The only reason I take less turns is because it takes me a while to fit one in. wink

Do you have a habit of getting into the backseat though?
ski holidays
Quote:

You didn't ask for my driving record when you wanted your "well traveled luggage"

Whoops! Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Megamum, there's a battery of evidence says women are safer drivers, which isn't necessarily the same thing.

brian,

So you don't think 'naturally safer' is related to 'naturally better'?

I suspect generally men are bit more 'gung ho' about skiing - more bravado less technique than women as with driving - at least thats how most of the male suits that cut me up on the motorway chatting away on their mobile phones appear.
snow report
Troll.....troll.....troll........ Twisted Evil
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

brian,

So you don't think 'naturally safer' is related to 'naturally better'?

I suspect generally men are bit more 'gung ho' about skiing - more bravado less technique than women as with driving - at least thats how most of the male suits that cut me up on the motorway chatting away on their mobile phones appear.

Surely to cut you up and chat on the phone at the same time is an indication of great driving skill rather than less technique?

Is that the 'Troll Song' you're singing there?
ski holidays
The answer needs quantifying.

Marks are out of 10 for typical skiing / boarding ability.

WOMEN:

Speed = 7
Strength = 6
Skill = 7
Style = 8
Bravery = 6
Safety = 10
Courtesy = 8
Peachiness = 10

Total = 62 / 80

MEN:

Speed = 10
Strength = 10
Skill = 10
Style = 10
Bravery = 10
Safety = 6
Courtesy = 7
Peachiness = 0

Total = 63 / 80

Men win wink
latest report
Whitegold, great. A badly constructed answer to a badly framed question.

"Intelligent design vs. Evolution" anyone?
snow report
Only a man could possibly have thought of asking the question in the first place.

Boys: we're not interested in watching you compete with us/each other/anything else that moves. Cut the cr@p and show us your willy.
snow report
Ooops - I laughed out loud then! Good job not many are in the office Toofy Grin

Lizzard, Laughing Laughing

Whitegold, Laughing Laughing good exageration on the men marking wink
snow report
Women are more aerodynamic in a tuck.
latest report
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing Laughing Priceless!
snow report
Spyderman, ... [deleted]

Sorry, I read it too quickly the first time. I now see that the word was "tuck"
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat,
That too wink Laughing
snow conditions
Whitegold, You can't be brave if you're not first afraid - if men are not afraid they're not brave. therefore: 10 points away for the men's team!

Lizzard, Well said! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy