Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best piece of skiing advice you had last season

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, sure, I appreciate that (actually getting my pelvis forward is something I concentrate on using my Skier's Edge machine) - your description of the poles pointing skywards in the drill just reminded me of the people who think they look ever so professional in a tuck with near vertical poles. Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IncogSkiSno wrote:
From the Phil Smith Snoworks course - Pushing - hard work though.

not sure what you mean... are you pushing down on the outer ski by extending the leg? or are you skating around the turn using the outside leg, or?????
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
remembered another tip that I got this year, about skiing moguls.

Think of an individual mogul as made up of the top, two sides, and the face.
The top of the mogul has the least pitch - it is a green run. The sides have steeper pitches - they are blue. The face is the steepest, it's black. The easiest way to ski moguls is to stick to the greens and blues, and stay off the blacks. (you can go into this a lot deeper, but let's leave it at that for now)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flex the front ankle forward (when teleing) .

I quite like Wazzer Smith's "monkey arms" on the vid though I'm sure that's not what he called them - & I actually consciously did his "pole walking" once even though I though it was bollox at the time I saw the vid.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
on the advice of a friend (way better skier than me) take the time to do a LOT of stretching before skiing, its my age you see, forty now Sad and things get...stuck...pelvis, lower back sort of area denying me the flexibility that younger fitter skiers can take for granted, its incredible how much of a difference this has made to me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty, PM Stocky for his fitness routine, very good they are and at 40+ myself you cant do enough stretching....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
'When you can get beyond a snowplough, your legs will be less tired". Thanks a bundle! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You don't have to be on the first lift every day Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Relax"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
powder ski like a dolphin!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Do try to ski less badly. It's embarassing."
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try heli-skiing in the Himalayas. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drill - skate around the turn. pick up your outside ski and drive yourself around the turn with a skating motion. do this quickly and as many as you can as you are turning. Really helps to feel outside ski dominance and pushing the ski around a turn.

before you start off, let everything relax and sink down: arms, chin and ankles
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, "you two need to practice together over the weekend as you both share the same FUNDAMENTAL FLAW in your skiing and are going to fail unless you fix it"
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, that skate turn sounds a bit like the 1000 steps turn that we've talked about before. Is it the same?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, yes but slightly different as in the skating variation you are actively trying to propel yourself around and towards the centre of the turn by skating with the outside ski only. The "std" thousand step drill as i know it is to pick up your inside ski and step up and inside the turn, in effect carving on the outside foot. The skate variation gets the outside foot more active.

does that make sense?
snow conditions
skimottaret, makes sense, although the 1000 step as I was taught it involved lifting the inside, then the outside, then the inside. (and before any smart people jump in, yes you do put the inside one down before you pick up the otuside one Wink )
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, yeah thats the one, i forgot to say inside then outside but you get the drift. the skating variation gives more power thorugh the turn.
latest report
"This is called a flying hirsch. Try it!"
snow report
when skiing on ice "less force equals more control over pressure and better turns"
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, Laughing Laughing Laughing rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
I liked the 'imagine you are pedalling a bicycle analogy' as you go round a bend given to me on Tuesday - it got me thinking about lifting the weight off the inside ski on the turn with obvious benefits
snow report
Megamum, was that a Brett special?
ski holidays
skimottaret, That'd be it!!
snow report
Megamum, if you liked that one try to exhale and FLEX onto your outside as you turn and as you get to the transition inhale while stretching upwards into the new turn......
snow conditions
skimottaret, I can see I shall have to get a little book so that I remember all these the next time I go wink
latest report
"Big toe, little toe" to get my weighting right. Easy enough to remember all season! Worked even better when I got my new boots.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy