Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Konrad Bartelski 'was' 50

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, I'm sorry to bring you this staggering news a bit late, but it emerges that Britain's most successful downhill ski racer turned 50 sometime recently and didn't tell snowHeads about it. His exact birthday remains a mystery, but maybe he could pop in here and tell us when we should have 'given him the moguls'.

I 'bumped' into Konrad at the Aspen / Blizzard of Aahhhs ski movie evening in town a few days back. He told me all about his new career in TV - Classic Sport on the ESPN channel - and I told him his commentaries on Channel 4's World Cup ski racing last winter came over very well.

Flattery may get you everywhere. Anyway, he tells me we can expect to see him on Chanel No. 4 again this winter.

Now, if Konrad would like to grace us with his presence (I told him Martin Bell is a snowHead) he can blow out 50 candles - again. He's received an email to let him know this thread is going.

Here's Konrad's website if you'd like to refresh some memories. Click on 'Ski Hero' for an account of his terrible 1975 crash in Megeve, and 'Achievements' for a reminder of that famous 2nd place in the 1981 downhill in Val Gardena.

Anyone have any memories and (late) birthday greetings for Konrad?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Happy Birthday, Konrad! snowHead

I'll always associate Konrad Bartelski with the Ski SUnday music, the smell of roast puddings cooking and the voice of David Vine...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hope you had a great birthday, Konrad Very Happy Your website is fascinating - great to read the stories of your achievements snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Konrad! You'r a true inspiration as to what can be achieved by an
" Anglais "
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Congrats Konrad. I wanted to send him a message, but couldn't see how to do it. Great pics of his party. I noted at least one Bells brother there. And how did they get that picture of Konrad when he came second onto his cake? I can iron pics onto t-shirts, but I doubt that's how they got the image onto the icing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, did you actually stay for the Aspen/Snowmass promo? Bit off topic, but boy, was it hard work. Watching Glen Plake tumble down the Poubelle Glacier:
in this pic on Phil Ingle's site
-in Chamonix in the Blizzard of Ahhs, afterwards, made it worthwhile though. The skiers left the couloir muttering: ’it was just too steep, man’. And it wasn’t even 50 degrees Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kit Wong, I certainly did stay! I was there for Blizzard of Aahhhs - first time on the big screen that I can recall in the UK, though sadly the film's beginning seemed to have been cut.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the messages...it was actually May 27th and as ever dear old Franzie... as in Klammer, beat me to that line again...he made 50 last November!

Blizzard of Aahhhs - featruing two very time bandits John Faulkner and Mark Shapiro...and many 210 cms skis...rememeber those....now they were something! Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpin,
That pix on the cake was taken in 1973 after one of my first ever FIS downhills...and ASDA actually offer the service...take a picture down to your local Asda store and a day or two later out comes the cake.. rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome to snowHeads, Mr headcase! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
(oh, and David Goldsmith beat you and Franz to it by a few months!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Welcome to snowheadsa Mr B. Mrs NBT will be most impressed to learn that Snowheads is frequented by so many workd class skiiers
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
headcase? in lower case? Very self-effacing!

I first met headcase near Kaprun in about 1976 while enjoying some high summer glacier fun. He was driving around in an open-top sports car, probably chasing girls. It seemed an envious lifestyle, snaking around the mountain roads of Austria and doing a bit of ski training. Anyway, whatever head damage that 1975 crash induced made him a friendly approachable guy.

I wonder what he was like before the crash?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Welcome to snowHeads, headcase snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another Konrad memory: With his former company Badger Sports he imported Marker bindings, Raichle boots and Atomic skis into the UK.

Many moons ago Konrad arranged a trip to Kitzbuhel and led us around the local slopes as his guest. We ascended the Hahnenkamm (then a cronky old cablecar) and made our way across to that very special landmark - the start hut of the downhill. To see that humble wooden hut, the horrendously steep schuss below it, and get a downhiller's first-hand account of what it meant, was a bit special.

Go see.
snow report
Yes Kitzbuhel is not quite a stroll in the park. Every time a downhill racer gets in the start hut there they do wonder why they didnt take up golf! Still it is less humiliating crashing down an icy cliff than missing a two foot putt in front of 8 million TV viewers - I mean anyone can sink a 2ft putt can't they? Puzzled
snow report
headcase, not sure, ask the Walrus. Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy