Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British retail initative not to mount skis and bindings purchased on internet? Is this true?

Poster: A snowHead
Just browsing ebay looking at skis and came across this from a shop called sound skis based in the south west i think

The binding we are selling with the Patrol is the very safe and lightweight Look NX10 which we will mount FOC if you can provide us with your boot size in mm and height, weight etc.These will be mounted by a technician at Sound Skis which on another note has joined the British retail initiative which is refusing to mount or adjust bindings bought over the internet from abroad.

The ebay auction is this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scott-Patrol-All-Mountain-Skis-170-Look-Nx10-Binding_W0QQitemZ270119435420QQihZ017QQcategoryZ16062QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How do they know where you have purchased them from??? and who else is in this "initiative" (if you can call it that)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice looking skis.

I suppose I can't blame them being cheesed off with Internet purchases and it is presumably up to them what work they take on. Still an interesting comment.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, if it's true, then they're biting their noses off to spite their faces. It won't stop people buying skis over the internet as the likes of Ski Bilek will mount bindings if you ask them to. It won't stop anyone else mounting the bindings. And there will be people other than ski shops over here who would be quite happy to take a few quid off you for the job - like the ski tech in the shop who's not getting paid enough money. what's to stop him doing the job "on the side"?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought my Missions from Telemark Pyrenees, since they were not available at the time in the UK. Gave them boot details, and they mounted the bindings for me. Very good service.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought hubby's Missions from the same place. As hubby's boots were in France, I didn't get the bindings mounted, but a local ski shop did it for a few eurso.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
carroz, I bought skis and bindings for my daughter over the Internet and had the bindings fitted by Blues Ski Shop in Glasgow - they were happy to take my money. As for Sound Skis, looks like they don't want business with a statement like that.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just spoke to the owner of Sound Skis to get a little more detail on this.

It's an initiative that he has initiated himself and is hoping to get lots of retailers on board by next season.
His objective, he says, is to 'sow the seeds of doubt' in people's minds that buying abroad will be hassle free.

I suggested that people would just go elsewhere and he said they were welcome to as 'people like that' didn't tend to buy anything else from his shop anyway. He said he was considering a policy of not publishing the names of who was part of the initiative so that people wouldn't know until they turned up at the shop.

I suggested that a more positive approach, PR-wise, might be to just up the price of fitting bindings to a point where he was happy to do it. The added bonus would be that 'Fitting for Free' for people who bought skis from him would have an increased perceived value but he simply said that his mind was made up to go with this approach. I wonder how many other retailers will subscribe to his idea.

I think it's in the interest of all of us that the British ski industry survives and indeed flourishes. I'm not convinced that this is the kind of attitude that will ensure that though.

Oh, and by the way, he had heard of snowHeads - apparently one of the reps had mentioned that we were responsible for promoting the idea of buying abroad rolling eyes Fortunately not everyone in the industry is quite so short-sighted Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin, I bought in the UK because of reccomendation's on snowHeads. The ski's were cheaper than the Germans and Lockwoods reputation for service and after service is, I now know, very well deserved Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, exactly and I know a great many snowHeads have purchased from Ellis Brigham as a result of the Ski Tests we have organised together. There has easily been as much traffic about, "Snow and Rock sale just started" as there has been about, "See how cheaply I got my skis from Germany".

I did point out to the guy that snowHeads is just an open channel of communication and we aren't particularly promoting anything.

That's what I meant by, "Short-sighted". Much of the industry has had a crap season, both here and abroad, and some of them want someone to blame: so it must be the fault of the Internet, oh and Johnny Foreigner would have had a hand in it too of course rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin, Interesting. IMHO he is at least short sighted...daft idea. It's not that hard to fit many bindings yourself anyway. It's hardly difficult to find out what binding setting you need either is it?

More interesting almost is that someone can have that sort of perception about SHs. A bit like suggesting that a given pub promotes this, that or the other based on the conversations in the bar. Weird, eh?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I really despair when I hear of retailers with this attitude (former retailer myself) - why do they go into it in the first place. Rule number 1 - customer satisfaction! Rule number 2 - enjoy the profits generated by obeying Rule number 1 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:
admin, Interesting. IMHO he is at least short sighted...daft idea. It's not that hard to fit many bindings yourself anyway. It's hardly difficult to find out what binding setting you need either is it?

Many skis now come with a rail and fitting the bindings is child's play. Not even worth paying ski bilek the €8 they want to fit them!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What's to stop Sound Skis being the sport conrad of the UK?

Don't have a good enough relationship with the ski cos? Not entrepeneurial enough? Still believing that skiing is a premium marketplace? Nice initiative to stop footfall in your shops - I don't think a punter is going to hang around and buy a nice high margin jacket if you've waited until he arrives in your shop to tell him to piddle off with his internet bought skis.

There have always been shops with this sort of attitude in the past e.g. I have encountered ones that refuse to mount "old" bindings (still covered by the manufacturer) on new skis primarily because they wanted to sell a new pair of bindings.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 12-05-07 14:16; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
I really despair when I hear of retailers with this attitude (former retailer myself) - why do they go into it in the first place. Rule number 1 - customer satisfaction! Rule number 2 - enjoy the profits generated by obeying Rule number 1 Toofy Grin

Oh yes! So very true Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Would they mount bindings on skis bought from a shop overseas I wonder?
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:

A simple one that - the distributors.

I'm pretty sure the distributors have a strong controlling influence as to the prices their retailers sell their skis. In theory this is illegal but other companies seem to have the same policy, ie Oakley & Rolex. If a retailer bins the price then they'll find it hard to get a supply next season.

I know a UK Atomic retailer who's cost price for a pair of M:EX's was £40 more than I paid for them from Sport Conrad. The UK ski market is unusual in that the distributors/wholesalers are probably making equal margin to the retailers but without the associated retail overheads, which means that UK retailers are buying the same products as European retailers but at a higher cost price.
ski holidays
Can he refuse to be the warranty agent for skis or bindings purchased elsewhere?

If he cannot, would it not be far preferable for him to have quality control over the initial setup?
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
fatbob wrote:

I wonder what would happen if a number of the retailers stopped taking the major brands and switched to some of the niche market manufacturers (the brands that Kiwi1 distributes, for example)? Would the majority of punters still want the Salomons and Rossis, or would they be brave enough to go with something they might not have heard of?

Anyway, I don't think that Sound Skis has helped develop its reputation here on snowHeads rolling eyes
snow report
There's also seems to be a tiny bit of hypocrisy here. They don't like internet retailers yet they are flogging their (presumably surplus) stock on ebay - at this time of year I'd have thought it highly unlikely they'll get near retail for it.
snow report
Of course, getting your internet supplier to mount the bindings only really works if you're buying bindings from them as well (unless you go to the palaver of demounting your old ones and sending them in to be mounted) - bit of a pain if you have perfectly servicable bindings on knackered skis.

comprex wrote:
Can he refuse to be the warranty agent for skis or bindings purchased elsewhere?
Talking to a retailer (who is also a snowHead ) the other day, he said that Fischer (IIRC) UK will not warrant any skis bought abroad, as the warranty cost is borne by the distributor(?) - you have to send them back to where you got them from. Also that the deals offered by these internet retailers are the result of a fairly active European grey market - (echoing spyderjon) mostly at prices they can't buy them at. Also be warned, that UK shops will probably have about half the range next year as they had this, as a result of the "dreadful" winter - irrespective of whether the actual skiing was poor or classic, it appears that the winter was truly dreadful from a retail perspective.

Having said that though, I was very pleased with the deal I got on my slalom skis 18 months back. Won't be long before I need to be looking again though, as the last year's worth of regular sharpening hasn't left an awful lot of edge underfoot - I just hope they make it to the end of the summer Sad .
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
comprex wrote:
Talking to a retailer (who is also a snowHead ) the other day, he said that Fischer (IIRC) UK will not warrant any skis bought abroad, as the warranty cost is borne by the distributor(?) - you have to send them back to where you got them from.

I thought that might be the case; it certainly is here. That is -precisely- what this retailer needs to make customers aware of.
snow report
Interesting comment by a retailer here on my snow sports forum.
Also suggesting that budget airlines are not helping UK sales in an already 'bad' season by charging carriage per pair of ski's Confused
snow conditions
This is interesting, i have no problems with people buying where or what they wan't, but as a retailer, i can't buy the skis at the price some of these sites sell them at, it's hard. Puzzled
ski holidays
There is a shop where I live that won't fit bindings to skis bought abroad, or something like that, wasn't really listening what with it affecting skiers.
latest report
I can't buy Stella Artois wholesale as cheaply as the supermarkets can sell it!
But as Holidayloverkisskiss says above it's the positive customer experience that makes the profit Toofy Grin
snow report
FWIW, I actually thought I should buy my Missions for Ellis Brigham, because they had been so helpful with the ski tests - only to find that the skis simply were not available from them. That said, of course if there is a major discrepancy in price between the UK and overseas (allowing for import costs and any duty/taxes) then of course people will buy from overseas. It is up to the distributor/retail chain to ensure that prices are competitive here.
latest report
There was a period when it was considerably cheaper to buy a car abroad than it was here in the UK. I bought a Peugeot from a Spanish dealer, full UK specification with certificate of conformity, several thousands of £££s cheaper than I could have bought it from a local dealer even after I paid VAT. The ironic thing is that the car was made in Coventry! As far as I know the price of cars in the UK has reduced so that there is much less of a differential between the UK and other European countries - why did that happen?
snow conditions
They don't call us Treasure Island for nothing..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
fatbob wrote:

Then distributors need to get real, and the UK retailers need to take it out on them, not the customer.
This is exactly the same as the situation with games for things like the Nintendo DS. I have started buying these on ebay from the US and HK and am saving 50% off the UK price. The games from the US clearly say on the packaging "only for sale in the US, Canada and Mexico". And I guess what I'm doing is actually buying it from a shop in the US from a distance!

I bought my skis from Filarinskis though because I was so happy with their customer service, and the free first service, and all the advice they gave me. I felt that was worth something. They weren't that much more expensive than Ski Bilek. I almost bought from Sound Skis, and emailed them for prices but what I wanted wasn't available. If I hadn't phoned Filarinskis and had such a nice chat on the phone then I may well have bought from Ski Bilek.

The internet has had a profound effect on retail, and it isn't going to go away, so companies need to think of way of attracting customers, not alienating them.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
This is interesting, i have no problems with people buying where or what they wan't, but as a retailer, i can't buy the skis at the price some of these sites sell them at, it's hard. Puzzled

I don't understand how Ski Bilek and Conrad can get stuff so cheaply that they can sell at the prices they do. It's like the boots I got from Bilek cost me half of what they cost if I bought from a mail order place here! How do they do it? I know you've been thinking about this for yonks - have you managed to find anything out? Are they possible buying bankrupt stock? How can they sell the latest Salomon Crossmax V12s with bindings for not much more than £200?
latest report
petemillis wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

I don't understand how Ski Bilek and Conrad can get stuff so cheaply that they can sell at the prices they do. It's like the boots I got from Bilek cost me half of what they cost if I bought from a mail order place here! How do they do it? I know you've been thinking about this for yonks - have you managed to find anything out? Are they possible buying bankrupt stock? How can they sell the latest Salomon Crossmax V12s with bindings for not much more than £200?

Do they do dicounted retail supply?
snow report
Mr Lizzard, that's retail - if they can discount stuff that much then how cheap are they buying in?
latest report
petemillis, And how cheap is the stuff to make?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
There was a period when it was considerably cheaper to buy a car abroad than it was here in the UK. I bought a Peugeot from a Spanish dealer, full UK specification with certificate of conformity, several thousands of £££s cheaper than I could have bought it from a local dealer even after I paid VAT. The ironic thing is that the car was made in Coventry! As far as I know the price of cars in the UK has reduced so that there is much less of a differential between the UK and other European countries - why did that happen?

I can't remember the exact details but the Government stepped in.....having just paid our for a brand new car that then plunged to an unbelievably low part exchange value as a result I was more than a little miffed!!
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
fatbob wrote:

I wonder what would happen if a number of the retailers stopped taking the major brands and switched to some of the niche market manufacturers (the brands that Kiwi1 distributes, for example)? Would the majority of punters still want the Salomons and Rossis, or would they be brave enough to go with something they might not have heard of?

Anyway, I don't think that Sound Skis has helped develop its reputation here on snowHeads rolling eyes

Really interesting point Rob. The reatailers I supply to are the sorts of reatailers that are trying to do different things and stand out from the crowd.

The skis and snowboards that I distribute are ALL hand made and as such you'll never find them as cheap as something thats mass produced in China and all the skis that are cheap are mass produced skis.

Also interesting that the RRP on a pair of Icelantic skis in France is about £100 more expencive than the UK price and if French customers want to by from the UK retailers we can't stop them. Part of being in the EU eh.

I feel the problem is with the big manufactures. Stock dumping happens but it's not the fault of the UK consumers to hunt down the best deal they can get.
snow report
Quote:

I feel the problem is with the big manufactures. Stock dumping happens but it's not the fault of the UK consumers to hunt down the best deal they can get.
And word is that some of the biggest manufacturers have more surplus stock from this past season than ever before...
snow report
Yup. Stupid volumes are going to be dumped on the market. For small companies like myself and the less known brands we have one thought.

Things can only get better. Blush Blush Blush
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
petemillis, And how cheap is the stuff to make?

Be Nice please! knows! For Bilek to sell V12s at £200 they've got to be pretty cheap for both manufacturer and Bilek to make money! I'm sure volume of sales must come into the prices that they pay from the manufacturer.
snow report
Thing is, is the difference in functionality enough to pay for handmade skis? Lots of these cheap skis are pretty good. I just bought 06-07 RX8 with FS12 for about £150 + deliv. As an aside, I'm also thinking of buying 07-08 Neox (maybe from SZK?) when it becomes available.
snow conditions
i don't know many shops that will sign up to this one if they want to keep customers, normal policy [when i was involed in this side of business] was to not charge if you bought skis / bindings from the store or if you bought bindings, if you turned up with a ski & bainding but were buying boots then fitting was either free or £10 [prices change subject to customer attitude] if no kit was bought from the store then the price was £25 which is a price that the UK ski industry agreed some 10-12 years ago, the reason for this is that by fitting the binding to the ski you assume the risk if there is a problem with the ski / boot / binding interface at any time in the warranty period of the binding [whether you sold the binding or not]

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 14-05-07 13:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy