Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fat skis hold back learning good technique

Poster: A snowHead
Agreed, best thing to Conquer all the mountain with ease and without too much complication hit the magic 80-88mm underfoot and try and get a good side cut 14-18m.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yeah, I'm thinking Head iM82 or perhaps the new iM78 for everything next season. I spent 4 weeks this year on iM72s, but I'd like something with just a bit more float at nearly 90 kg.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
iM82 gets my vote. It's been Whistler's "one ski quiver" this year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that tip V8, it looks like a good bet. I'll be on the lookout for a good deal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight, uktrailmonster, Hold on. in fact stop right there!!!!!!!!!!! We three agree, totally! Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SZK, Quick, break out the booze. Call 1-800-DISNEY-AGREEMENT !!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked If I agreed too it would be a major occurrance - what was the question???
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, do men make better instructors than women. Shocked wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm sure we'll find something new to argue about later Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Agreed, best thing to Conquer all the mountain with ease and without too much complication hit the magic 80-88mm underfoot and try and get a good side cut 14-18m.

Still got some Hot Rod Modifieds to shift then? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, A couple, Hod Rod Afterburner!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, not wanting to be unnecessarily contentious, but referring way back to page 2 I think where you said
Quote:
so you get comments like "ski X is great on piste and surprisingly OK off-piste - i can't see why you'd need anything fatter"
and only because I made a comment very like that regarding my funky little slalom skis (which I think are about 60mm underfoot) - I will defend that statement.

I personally, IMHO, think that fat skis probably do get in the way of technique, simply because they reduce the requirement for it. I personally prefer to judge skis by how they perform, for me, on piste. In general (and I am quite sure you will share this view) piste skiing is significantly less demanding and (to my way of thinking) less fun than off piste. Therefore I will default to a pair of skis that are reasonably technically challenging on piste. I am generally happy then to accept the (modern) compromise that they will be less performant off piste than something fatter - as the obverse of a fat ski on piste would just be dull for most of the skiing that I happen to end up doing.

However, I can see why you'd want something fatter - having used Rossi 9Xs for a half day heliskiing I realised about two runs in that I was not going to have the energy for a full day. Out with the Chubbs! But I will also add that for your average holiday skier fat skis are Not A Good Thing (for example the 3 chaps in the bubble in Champoluc on Monday morning). Mantras are not really optimised for a day on piste are they?

Maybe I should change what slopes I'm skiing on!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DM,

No, Mantras aren't but they aren't that tiring for their size IMV. I think the Outlaw ( for example ) is more so as its doesn't hide its weight.
In fact I think the K2 is a tiring Off-piste ski as well, altho the LG guides will not agree but then their skill and fitness level is anothetr thing entirely.................... Francois...!!!!!

I nearly bought the Mantras this year but two things stopped me; those hardpack days where SL/GS skis are just so much fun and pretty well the only thing you want to be on and the fact that I really really can't face carrying skis the way I travel...

Nearly bought them tho'....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, I must admit that I quite fancy trying them (Mantras). As for the Sophster, although she's dead keen to try the AC4 as a one ski quiver ski I think she'll find it disappointing. (As if a Volkl can ever disappoint...)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DM,

It'll be interesting to know what Sophie thinks of the AC4..and no, I don't think Volkl's will produce a dog either
snow report
David Murdoch, I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with the statement you've quoted - it's just that it's not the only legitimate way to approach skiing. If I *know* that all I will ski all day is hard piste conditions, I'd want to be on something like your slalom skis. However, I have very few days like that. And actually slithering around on inappropriately wide skis (eg Lotus 120s) on hardpack does have a challenge of its own Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
little tiger, Well done Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

back home - managed to score some nice fresh snow days with friends... Very Happy

I'll clue you in when I get sorted...

but .... my flat ski stuff is improving and coming in handy Smile
snow conditions
little tiger, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
V8 have you seen (US) SKI Mag, the buyer's guide issue, the Mike Rogan quote on p. 62?
latest report
No, what's he said now? Laughing
snow conditions
Mike Rogan with Stu Campbell wrote:
Even if you were able to briefly put your wide skis on edge early in your turn, by the finishing phase, they'll flatten. As they do your outside ski will wash out, away from your body.
latest report
Sounds remarkably similar to what I wrote:
Quote:
In short, anything we can do to reduce T the torque on the ankle (which is constantly trying to flatten our ski)

in the edging thread ages ago...... Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 12-09-07 18:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Indeed, only rather more deterministic in a bad Karma way.
snow conditions
Horses for courses...it's never been any different..but the gap is closing. Whereas a few years ago you might need a softish quick turning mogul ski, a SL/GS and a powder ski..which might have been done on GS skis, and the compromises therein, now all you need is 88-90 fatish ski for eveything but the boilerplate and the huge dump days. Where you ski 80% of the time depends where you position the fatness.

For people who want a warm up, it might be better to get the piste ski out for the day just to get into the groove again....something a lot of us miss, IMV
snow report
I suspect veeeight is right - you probably improve your technique (especially under instruction) quicker on mid-fats or narrower - in large part because you are going to learn the core of your technique on piste. That said, making progress is a combination of confidence and technical improvement (which support each other) so to make progress when you move to off-piste skiing it probably is helpful to have a bit of help from girth. I doubt though, if you are making the switch to off-piste that you will be skiing much terrain/conditions that would really benefit from > 100mm.

In general, when improving technique you want a ski that pats you on the back when you get it right rather than spanks you for getting it wrong. When I learned to ski off-piste on 200cm skinny slalom skis you certainly got spanked for any error in balance. To a lesser extent, if you are skiing on something really fat with a 40m radius, I think you might get spanked when you need to make a tight turn under pressure.

I also think that a very fat ski may not be great for imtermediates heading off piste because you can basically get away with anything (I'm not talking about better skiers who are schmeering turns at mach schnell) - do you get a noticeable pat on the back when you do something a little better?

By the way, I think JT is being a little conservative about how much of the time you can get away with a compromise ski. The only conditions in which I have been frustrated by my stockli stormrider XLs has been after a dump of warm wet snow. At 174cm and 12.5 stone, the only way I could make progress on even quite steep slopes was to lean back as otherwise the tips would bury and I'd grind to a halt. Ice, moguls, gates, powder, cut up powder, chalk, spring snow, breakable crust* were all just fine. I reckon I could have fun 95% of the time. That's not to say something fatter might not be more fun in some of those conditions.
* provide it wasn't deep warm wet sludge underneath

I suspect the veeight and SZK are right - somewhere around 80mm is the best choice for a typical male improving intermediate who wants to ski on piste and dabble with off-piste.

J
snow conditions
another thing, anyone who says you cant get by off-piste with bad technique and fat skis hasn't been out on a day trip with Whistler Heli. You see some pretty hopeless skiers enjoying themselves in the powder on fatties.
snow report
JT, the difference between V8's edging thread and the above quote is that the quote leaves no room for maybes, buts, fitness or technique.

"Even if you were able to briefly put your wide skis on edge early in your turn, by the finishing phase, they'll flatten" does not present a continuum of possibly increasing effort to sustain edging.

Can anyone explain why they would write it that way, as if there was a definite threshold?
snow report
Because if I was Mike Rogan I'd have some pretty strong forthright views about most things (as HH does, as Warren Smith does, especially Gareth Roberts etc.). As I'm not Mike Rogan, my views tend to be pretty open and conservatively written.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I've come to this thread late so apologies for not having read all the posts ...

I have a fat pair of skis (98mm underfoot) which, I agree, are pretty forgiving on technique.

What I don't understand is WHY this is the case. Bigger ski to manoevour so surely requires more effort / angulation to get an edge, yet it FEELS easy. So easy in fact that I find them to be much less demanding than my other skis which are 84mm underfoot (I think). Does this mean that I'm actually not getting good edge on my fat skis on piste?

I may have missed the explanation further up the thread - if so, feel free to paste!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy