Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire discounts

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen a previous threat talking about promotional codes for discounted car hire. I can't find this threat. Is anybody able to help please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If u aer a member of AA u get 10%withHertz
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
simo1234, here is one. gets you about 20%

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Question for Frosty the Snowman . The code above is it a company code, have you used it before and when u pick up your car , are you asked any "awkward" questions by the car hire staff
Thanks
Ken
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dublin1, I used it in November. Absolutely no questions asked. I am sure many other snowheads have also used it. AIR it is not mentioned on the booking confirmation either.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dublin1 wrote:
Question for Frosty the Snowman . The code above is it a company code, have you used it before and when u pick up your car , are you asked any "awkward" questions by the car hire staff
Thanks
Ken

No awkward questions when I've used that or other codes. This season the regular rates from ebookers have been lower than the quotes I got from HolidayAutos using their OneAccount or FleetEurope codes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try searching on moneysavingexpert.com for avis discount codes. I used one from there last year, and saved 60%! They are usually big corporation discount codes. Make sure if you do use one, that the terms also include insurance. Also, some will only work on either avis.com or avis.co.uk, not both. It is okay to book through either.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try http://www.arguscarhire.com they always seem to get a good rate and I have had cars thru them with Alamo, Budget and Avis, get a 10 % ish discount for all subsequent rentals.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've used the holiday autos codes given in previous threads - never any quibble!!!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks all. my current problem is that many of the operators rental desks at Friedrichshafen close at 12 noon on saturdays - I don't arrive until 5pm. I have found a few e.g. Hertz that are still open but need to book directly - holidayautos database does not seem to recognise this and is unable to quote on collections after noon

I'll try Arguscarhire and moneysavingexpert but fear the same.

Specifically I'm searching for a Hertz promo code???
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
simo1234, have you tried calling Holiday Autos, may not get you the discount though?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
simo1234 wrote:
thanks all. my current problem is that many of the operators rental desks at Friedrichshafen close at 12 noon on saturdays - I don't arrive until 5pm. I have found a few e.g. Hertz that are still open but need to book directly - holidayautos database does not seem to recognise this and is unable to quote on collections after noon

I'll try Arguscarhire and moneysavingexpert but fear the same.

Specifically I'm searching for a Hertz promo code???

You could try this one. 10% off if you are paying with Visa
http://www.hotukdeals.com/?merchant_filter=129&category_filter=All&type_filter=All&availability_filter=All&status_filter=Active&order_by=Newest
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David_S wrote:
Try http://www.arguscarhire.com they always seem to get a good rate and I have had cars thru them with Alamo, Budget and Avis, get a 10 % ish discount for all subsequent rentals.

I second Argus (I use http://www.argusrentals.com but I assume it's the same people). Can't always get you what you want where you want but always seem to be way cheaper than anything else I can find with or without discounts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, It works. Just booked and it does give a good discount over their regular price. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TimDog, I've used that link before and it works - no questions asked.

(when you collect the car though, remember to give the pass phrase "the Snow in La Rosiere is the best in the Alpes". wink )
ski holidays
TimDog, Excellent Very Happy snowHead

AxsMan, rolling eyes rolling eyes .................................... Laughing Laughing
snow report
With holiday autos, is there any way of knowing which rental company it's with before you pay?
snow report
slikedges, I don't think so, but we have always had Alamo at Geneva when we used the HA link above. You could phone them, and ask I suppose. It may depend on which car type you require. Alamo/National were very good btw.
ski holidays
slikedges, No, not via internet. By phone it is possible - I have done so for a pick up at Faro, Portugal. But that was some years ago.
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
TimDog, I've used that link before and it works - no questions asked.

(when you collect the car though, remember to give the pass phrase "the Snow in La Rosiere is the best in the Alpes". wink )
Laughing
latest report
I've just been looking to rent a car from Geneva for next February's trip (to Verbier).

I noticed that arguscarhire seem to charge extra for winter tyres/snow chains, whereas they appear to be included with holidayautos (who I've used before). Does anybody know if arguscarhire (or the actual rental companies) enforce this? I thought all cars hired in Switzerland had tyres & chains as standard.

Cheers,

Ed
snow report
ecsleath, welcome to snowHeads. I've used Holiday Autos a lot and have always had winter tyres and with one exception always had chains without ever paying extra for 'winter packs'. The only time I was charged a supplement at the airport for tyres and chains was when I booked with EasyCar - unfortunately I can't remember which rental company I was allocated when I used EasyCar. When you get quoyes for car rental make sure that you try the link given in the third post of this thread - they are almost always the cheapest option when I hire cars at GVA.
latest report
 brian
brian
rob@rar, I think easycar mainly use europcar.

I've never had a car (in winter) from GVA Swiss side without chains and winter tyres and I've only once had to pay extra (I'm 99% sure it was Budget, can't remember which broker).

Anyway, they have chains and winter tyres for every car so you're perfectly safe not to pre-book these things and pay them locally if you have to.

Oh, and a friend of mine declined to pay for chains with Sixt, it snowed heavily, he had a nightmare ! I had to take his kids back to Geneva including crossing the border without their passports, fun and games !
latest report
brian, yes, I think it might have been europcar. I've only used EasyCar once and won't use them again, not least because of the mandatory charge for winter kit meant they weren't any cheaper than Holiday Autos.

I've only once had a car with chains, and I think that might have been an omission rather than policy. I was Holiday Autos, with Alamo and every other time I get chains and tyres. I've had the wrong size chains cause a problem on one occasion, so it might be good advice to check the chains and the tyres are right for each other before exiting the garage at GVA.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Thanks. i'v just booked a car for a week in Oct .and saved £35.
If your ever in Zell I'll buy you a drink. Very Happy
snow report
I'm trying to book using the holidayautos link but seem to have to pay for a winter pack as an extra...is this normal?
snow report
smudger, not on my latest booking for Geneva, only ski rack is listed.
snow conditions
I'm trying to book for lyon but it lists snow chains and winter pack as extras (at 45 and 115 euros each!)...maybe I'm best of looking elsewhere...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
smudger, you might be better off buying some snowchains at that price.
ski holidays
In that case would anyone know if there is anywhere on the way from Lyon to Les arcs to do that and what kind of price they would cost!
snow report
smudger, chains and winter tyrs only come as standard in Switzerland, which is one of the reasons why I tend to fly to Geneva as the cost of hiring winter kit in France always seems to be excessive. You will pass a fairly large number of supermarkets in/near from Lyon to Les Arcs: Chambery, Alberville, Moutiers and Bourg St Maurice are all on your way so it will be only a small detour to get to a supermarket. I think that motorway services will also have a small selection of chains, but more expensive than the supermarkets. I bought a pair in the SuperU at BSM for 35 Euros which will do in an emergency.
snow report
Byron Gates, Dont feed the messenger, twas not me that originally posted it but some other kind soul. A group of us were looking for a few days in Zell but couldn't get any offers for accomodation. We are off to Radstadt instead (staying at a snowhead B&B gaff)
snow conditions
Thanks again rob@rar...

Not the first time you've helped me with a les arcs query!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, it was brian I think who helped us with that little gem.

smudger, always happy to help.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
rob@rar, I did put a 10% HA code up here (fleet europe) but Phillip Stanton trumped it the following season with the 15% one given above. So I guess he gets the pint im Zell wink
latest report
My apologies to PhillipStanton. He's saved me a fair few quid over the last couple of seasons with that one. Although brian's tip for Hertz was a good one while it lasted Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar, he has saved me an absolute fortune over the last couple of seasons, as did Brian's Fleet Europe one before that. I think they both deserve a large drink.
snow conditions
The 'special offer for golfers' page on hertz site will give you 10% off, I've used it a few times but never gone near a golf course in my life....well not unless its covered in snow of course!
snow conditions
TimDog, belated thanks! Rang them and just as you said!
snow report
Random question, but here goes:

Has anyone not from the UK used the Holiday Autos One Account discount? In the terms and conditions, it says that you must present a valid UK drivers license on pick up. The same is true using the Holiday Autos UK site without the discount. On the German and US sites they just ask for a valid drivers licesnse, not country specific.

Oddly, the car selection on the different country sites are totally different. The prices, too, which I expected, but the cars themselves to completely different. If you're German, they put you in a Mazda. I found a reasonably priced Mondeo on the UK site: not available for Gemans or Americans. Very strange.

Would I be inviting trouble by booking through the One Accout and picking up the car with my American license? Or will nobody care? I'm guessing it wouldn't be a problem, but I'd rather not find out to the contrary when I try to pick my car up.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy