Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report: La Rosiere - Tracks Vacations 11 – 18/02/07

Poster: A snowHead
It turned out to be an interesting combination: One of Snowheads acknowledged biggest gobshoites (me), a rather infamous resort (in Snowhead terms), and a chalet previously touted by one of Snowheads most controversial characters (david@traxvax) who also happened to be present for the week. To our credit the subject of Snowheads and a certain Snowhead were never brought up Shocked

Well we had a last minute change as http://www.tracksvacations.com/ had suffered a late cancellation and so some friends of ours and their 3 kids booked up on the Wednesday before departure. What they saved on last minute booking with the chalet they lost on the air fairs (£180 NCL – GVA per person).

I booked our flights the day they were released and due to what I suspect was an Easyjet cock up we got half term flights for £50 a head plus ski carriage ( got 2 pairs in 1 bag). This was a snip but we added to this with a very generous offer from Tracks of a returning guest discount (despite the fact I only called in with some bacon & cheese), a 10% SnowHead discount (sadly no longer available, although you could always ask), kids sharing a quad room, and we had a catered chalet half term holiday for £475 a head including flights and transfers.

We pre-ordered:
A 2 hr private lesson for the kids from http://www.evolution2.com/rosiere/uk/default.asp
Ski hire on line from http://www.twinnerlarosiere.com/
And a €493 family ski pass from http://ski.larosiere.net/accueil.php?lang_id=2

Well we rose at 04.15 survived the wet 55 minute drive to Newcastle Airport Q park Bellair. Simple check in of the car and arrived at the airport at 06.00. Check-in was fine, they asked how many pairs of skis and I lied and said 1. The flight took off 10 minutes late at 07.40. The landing was a fairly bunmpy affair and I turned grey, Mrs Frosty went a bit pale. A really quick baggage reclaim saw us in the Tracks minibus and on the road 45 minutes after landing.

The Tracks minibus is an S reg Transit, and has S reg Transit sound insulation, S reg Transit suspension, and an S reg Transit engine. That said the transfer was included in the price, which saved us £70 a head for car hire. 3 hrs later and we were in resort, although with an hour to go Mrs Frosty had to sit in the front and had her head out of the window feeling very rough (on reflection I suspect this was a ploy to get out of the hell that is the half term ski hire shop Laughing ). Tracks staff unloaded our gear and put them outside the bedrooms which was a nice touch. After a cuppa tea and a piece of cake we were taken into the village in the minibus to collect our hire gear. Our friends booked through www.snowrental.com and ended up at Arpin Sport 2000 shop and we were at Twinners. All their stuff looked good and our kids got some cracking Dynastar gear. Steve, the ski host and driver, flitted between the 2 shops making sure we were okay. It was really nice getting a lift in the mini bus and when we got back Mrs Frosty had perked up and unpacked. By the time we had settled in it was then time a welcome meeting with a nice drop of fizz and some delicious canapés.

They asked how we wanted the kids to be fed and we went for 4 days with us, and 2 days fed earlier than us with some kiddy food. The 4 days that they ate with us were: raclette, lasagne, pierrade (hot stone), and final night feast. I won’t go into precise menu detail to protect the chef but the food was absolutely outstanding. 3 faultless courses cooked with attention to detail, superb local ingredients, imagination, and a good dollop of skill. Every night we scoffed all that was available and yet we all felt like we could eat no more. Breakfast was cereals, porridge, and eggs. On the last full day it was with extra bacon, sausage and beans. The cakes for high tea were deeelish and varied. Oh and the chalet wine was rather good too.

Well the only bit left is the chalet itself. Not ski in ski out, but right next to the bus stop in both directions and a gentle 5-minute stroll into town centre. We found it very well placed. The chalet itself seems to be caught between the modern and the old and can’t seem to make its mind up. Our quad room was en suite with a shower, wash basin and toilet. The shower had been shoe horned in and as a result totally compromised the washbasin and the toilet. There were 2 excellent shower rooms in the passageway which I used rather the cramped en suite. I would bin the shower, reposition the toilet (so that I could get more than 1 bum cheek on it Embarassed ) and put in a full size wash basin. There were little niggles like bedroom doors that didn’t quite fit properly and creaky floor boards. It was all electric heaters which for some reason a just don’t like. There was however an excellent and very large sauna, a very nice Jacuzzi bath (fits 2 people, but only if 1 goes on top wink ) and loads of well thought out drying hooks. The beds were very comfortable. The stairs down to the bedrooms looked like they had been imported from a ship and were outrageously steep. Mrs Frosty’s fall from mid flight was unfortunately not caught on camera. Upstairs there was a very tidy ski room and a entrance hall that doubled as a nice boot room, a lounge, and a long narrow dining room that had windows on 3 sides. Apart from the stairs I found the chalet perfectly adequate, if a little claustrophobic. We had 5 boisterous kids however and there were too many ornaments etc for my liking. The coffee table had 2 glass tops, there was an unused glass door that one of the sofas backed up to, and lots of fragile looking things about. Very nice, but not for our boisterous lot. Perhaps this perception was brought about by the first night incident where one of the kids jumped off a top bunk and landed on a double bed…..breaking it Shocked Embarassed . We were most grateful that David was able to fix the bed without fuss or charge. There was a large selection of DVDs and X-Box games, games and books available for the guests. The chalet staff were excellent and even serviced our skis on he last night for a very reasonable fee.

Would we return with a bunch of banshees? – NO
Would we return as a couple? – YES
Did we get value for money? – ABSOLUTELY

I have done 2 in depth reports on the Espace San Bernado
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=277606
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=115560
and little has changed since then. It was the busiest week of the season but we rarely queued more than 2 minutes, the exception being in the resort level drags on poor visibility days. Perhaps the developments in Les Eucherts have slightly increased the number of skiers. I did notice for the first time the poor quality of some of the drag lifts, the worst of which were the easy Lievre Blanc I & II lifts which would be used by those just off the beginner slopes. These were launching folks off their feet and dumping all sort of skiers on the floor. I saw one poor woman get dumped 3 times in a row. I have a considerable amount of inettia wink and after having the button ripped from between my legs twice Shocked Shocked (never happened before) the lifty suggested I adopt a tuck position. I thought these lifts a complete disgrace.

DAY 1 – Monday
Horrid vis. Wet snow in the morning, in the afternoon it flitted between wet snow and rain. Packed in 2pm looking like drowned rats

DAY 2 – Tuesday
Horrid vis. Smowed all day

DAY 3 – Wednesday
Quite clear in the morning and skied down Fontaine Froide with David, hot choccy in The Vieux Chalet the bottom. The lady serving said we were her 1st customers of the season that had skied down. It was the fist morning the run had been open all season. A fabulous run so we did it again. The snow was wonderful everywhere. The kids had a lesson 11.30 to 1.30 and then it clouded over and bug me it started raining again. I was gutted, thinking about all this great snow that was getting trashed. The drowned rats packed in at 2.30

DAY 4 – Thursday
A certain Bernard C, admin & Chief Smiley Maker drove over from La Plagne and spent the day with all the Frosties, david@trax, and TallTone. We Headed over to Italy and did the long run No 7 into La Thuile. A run I had never done, but truth be told I was a little disappointed with its flatness in places. We had an excellent lunch at La Rascard, bummed around in the col area for most of the afternoon producing some grade A tumbles from all the Frosties, TallTone, and the Chief Smiley maker. We popped over back to La Ros and all the youngsters, the hairy, and the Irish all whooped down the boarder cross course. It was so much fun that some did it again. We finished with a celebratory round of drinks at the Traversette Mountain Restaurant and then looked at the watches. A slight error by the man who lives there saw the wrong lift being caught and a s a result the visitors were faced with a 400m walk up a green piste before they could start the ski down to their car. It was nearly dark when they nade it down. One of the most memorable days skiing I have ever had in almost perfect conditions with some wonderful company. Chalet night off and ate at the Petite Danoise. Super meal, good value, and rounded off by the company of the very entertaining TallTones

DAY 5 – Friday
Bummed around La Rosiere in the morning and then spent time with our friends. The Father was a learner and struggling a bit, the mother was a good skier and the kids beginners but coming on leeps and bounds. They had taken 3 one hour lessons at exscape prior to the holiday just practiced with a few tips from Mum. We skiied with the Mum and kids all afternoon in glorious snow ond wonderful weather. I skied in a fleece and without gloves. Mrs Frosty and I had the most wonderful 2 hrs on our own late afternoon, giving each other tips and practising stuff on virtually empty pistes. Finished skiing 5.10.

Day 6 – Saturday
Aided by David and the chalet ski host we took our 4 friends (not the Father), and TallTone and MediumTone (aged 9) over to Italy. We skied to Roxi’s for a hot chocy and a Bombardino and then caught the Fourclaz lift up. The snow was still superb an we did the 1150 m descent into La Thuile via the reds 17, 17a, 18 & 6. This is one long drop and no lift is required. A fabulous run. Some then did the black off the top of Belvedere, and some went to the loo. A super value panini at the Piccolo San Bernado Bar and then it all closed in and the infamous Col wind got up. 30 minutes saw us back in La Ros and a swoop down to the lower slopes to get out of the wind. After 3 days of high temps the snow higher up in La Ros was turning rather hard up top, but nicely soft lower down. We messed about again in the trees and caught the very last chair up the Roches Noires for a last blast down.

So proud of all the kids today, they were superb. To see the joy and pride on our Friends and TallTone’s faces was a joy in itself

Summary
A fabulous holiday, in a fine resort, with some lovely people I would now like to call friends. La Rosiere is not the worlds greatest ski resort, in fact it is is pretty ordinary compared to many. We have now had 3 fabulous holidays there and the kids are bursting to get back again. To be honest I can't blame them Very Happy

High points – Days 4,5 & 6
Low Points - Knowing that no matter what I do I am not fit to fasten my kids ski boots

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 20-02-07 9:40; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great report Frosty the Snowman, It must be great to be able to ski well enough to go on to lots of different parts of a mountain I can't wait until me and the kids can do the same - I suspect though that I'll always be several minutes behind them! The snow looks far better in your photo than I had, but you were probably a fair bit higher than I was. I'm a bit envious about your catered chalet - I go self catering and there is no shop in resort so I take everything with me and it tends towards prepackaged/tinned foods, like pies, veggies, smash, treacle sponges, tinned custard etc. Once I've finished the fruit I take with me I'm fair gagging for fresh veg when I return!

I love your snap of the family - I will browse the rest of photo's another night.

Glad you had a great time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, Mrs Frosty is at the back, the other 2 are freinds
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, Ooops, still a good snap though!
latest report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, great report, well balanced Wink , glad you didn't need any masqueing tape Wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, Here is a better one

Me on left hand on the boss' shoulder. Red helmeted snotminers are mine. Tall and junior Tone on the right. Click again on the image and you can see the Matterhorn in the distance. Mist rolling in below to La Thuile.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
great read glad to hear you had such a good time,
have just looked up your lead to booking on line ski pass but although it quite clearly states family pass at E493 every time I tap in detail E509 just keep popping up much to my dismay,I think I will try phoning instead.
will read your thread on ski area with much intent.
when do you ski again?this season?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shorty, €509 includes a €4 deposit for each hands free card. take it to the cash desk after your last run and they will give you €4 per card back. There is a €6 postage charge but it beats standing and queuing. You book and pay on line, print off the confrimation and sent it in with copies of the kids pasports. I think the family pass is great value.

Skiing 1st week of easter in the 3 valleys ands at the EOSB. Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 20-02-07 9:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Didn't they weigh your skis?? I tried 2 in 1 bag and Easyjet weighed the skis at Liverpool and Basel and charged me excess Sad

Shouldn't a trip report be in trips ??????
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, Great report - sounds like you had a great trip Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, In view of the sensitivity of the subject . . . it's probably just as well it's in here . . . and I only furniture'd up and re-hung the bathroom doors wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, Great honest and fun to read report. Glad you had a good time. Perhaps next year you could try a resort over the valley beginning with M?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
Didn't they weigh your skis?? I tried 2 in 1 bag and Easyjet weighed the skis at Liverpool and Basel and charged me excess Sad

Shouldn't a trip report be in trips ??????

There were 4 of us and I checked in a kids bag weighing 10 kilos. The ski bag weighed 15 kilos leaving me 7 kilos within my 32 kg allowance. Fine by me if anyone wants to move it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Great report - glad you enjoyed it ! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I reckon I paid about twice as much as you did for much the same holiday... alright, our chalet was next to a (beginner) drag and you could ski back, and we had childcare booked, but all told for my family of five, it worked out more than £1000pp Sad Just shows the value of DIY!
ski holidays
TallTone, We were very lucky with the cheap flights I found, and the discounts we acheived. 4 is also a much better number for discounts than your 5.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman,

An excellent read, Frosty - but no more than I expected from a man of your kaliber NehNeh I wish I was one of your kids - would you adopt me?? Toofy Grin

TallTone,

£5,000?? That's a lot of dosh for a week's holiday. How many of the 5 skiied?
latest report
Red Leon, all of us. We all had lessons and hired skis and boots. The cost angle was what put me off going for so long!
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Good to hear you all enjoyed yourselves. Great report - I totally agree about the food and wine - excellent every night. Steve also took us out two days ski guiding and was a great host and good company. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
top report, thank you very much - La Rosiere is on the list of places to go but was pipped at the post by a fantastic deal to Puy St Vincent for March (GBP797 for 2 adults, one child in a 2 bed apt including flights and transfers) so that is where the family Parkers will be heading
latest report
Thanks for the kind comments folks. It makes the effort of doing a report worthwhile.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Excellent and well-balanced report Frosty, made good reading too! Sounds like you had the same weather in La Ros that we had in the 3V, dumps Sun/Mon, blue skies thereafter - what a fantastic half term, hope Easter is as good! wink snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
Had a good look at the new photo - its nice to have group shots like that to look back on. Spectacular scenery in the background. It looks like your on top of the world
snow report
Megamum, we were! wink
ski holidays
TallTone, Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Great to hear you had a smashing time. Are red helmets mandatory with ASBOs? wink

Your 'nurse' is obviously a very, very understanding lady ! Twisted Evil
latest report
Agenterre, The nurse is much happier since I learnt how to change my own bag rolling eyes
ASBOS= Are Significantly Better On Skis (than you and me) Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Terrific report. I was there at David's place two years ago and had an excellent time and now your report has brought all the memories back. Will be interesting to see if this year's trip measures up Smile .... only 4 sleeps to go !!!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tony Ellwood, I suspect that Emma's culinary skill have been developed even further since your visit. Enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
I was thinking of adding my own report but in snow terms it wouldn't add to the self-confessed gobshoite's excellent scrawlings at the top of this thread - so here are a few salient points from my experience:

I stayed with Esprit in Chalet Les Landelieres at the bottom of the Manessier drag/beginner slope. Good location though the path to the chalet was a little tricky at times. Not overly impressed with Esprit; couldn't fault the catering in the chalet, but the childcare staff frequently forgot to return things and several items ended up lost. Our bed was uncomfortable, was frequently awake in the small hours, but the children seemed to sleep just fine. Oh, and if your child is over the age of seven, don't bother with the Esprit Snow Club in the afternoon - pick them up from a supervised lunch at 2:45 and enjoy skiing with them instead.

Of course, I would like to share my pictures with anyone that's interested! snowHead

Here's the set that I loaded on flickr for my work colleagues (just to make them really envious Wink): http://www.flickr.com/gp/76398019@N00/C90976

I will load these and some more on snowMedia at some point soon... but a busy schedule coming up so don't hold your breath! Laughing
ski holidays
TallTone, I have seen the photos and it looks rubbish in the Espace San Bernado Laughing Laughing
latest report
TallTone, Absolutely stunning set of photos ... real 'Dream Holiday' stuff. Suspect the snow scenes were shot a few years ago as there is 'no snow' in The Alps as everyone knows.

Would you have enjoyed it more with Frosty in a different valley wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
TallTone, looks barely tolerable wink
latest report
Agenterre, That is what can be done when you know your way around your digital camera Embarassed Needless to say mine are pap Embarassed . TallTone's are indeed superb. I am sure he took some with the family Frosty in, but obviously ommitted these in the quest for a quality presentation Laughing .
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, fantastic report - have looked forward to this - and no illnesses - perfect! (except your knee, but that will be fixed soon I am sure)
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, 'Tis true .... some have the 'eye', alas I don't. I could spend 'zillions' on equipment and not come up with stuff like that. 'Ise' had that same amazing ability - sadly now lost from here- to capture 'stuff'. Surely he could have just 'air-brushed' you out? wink
latest report
Quote:

Surely he could have just 'air-brushed' you out?

And replaced me with what?.....Mont Blanc perhaps Toofy Grin
latest report
Embarassed Thanks all! There are indeed some featuring the Frosty one, but none quite do him justice... I will be including some in snowMedia though. The worst thing is, I had a cracking one of him on the cameraphone at the EoSB last year - sadly lost along with all my other shots there due to my own stupidity Sad

Frosty the Snowman, you're right, Espace San Bernando is rubbish - why would anyone want to ski with so few people around? You get so lonely...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Agenterre,

http://mysnowsports.com/Blogs/mode=user/nick=ise.html wink
ski holidays
brian, Yes I love his photos. He now has a Canon 350D (I think) and has put some lovely photos on his blog.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy