Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do ski's wear out?

Poster: A snowHead
Well there's the question above. I've picked up that boots can and do wear out due to UK and stress on the plastic. How about ski's? Lots of you seem like buying new ones - is it because the old ones wear out or becasue you out ski them or get fed up with them, or just fancy this years models etc.

From what I've seen lots of you lovingly wax and titivate them, or get pro's to do this for you. So can doing this preserve them for many years or do the laminated layers eventually fail? Someone mentioned that some of the layers can be wood and some can be synthetics - I'm wondering if all the layers run the full length of the ski, or do some fall short like a leaf spring system. I don't really understand their construction full stop either, so if someone would like to enlighten me with this as well that would be good too. Might as well learn all I can.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sometimes the edges can wear out. Or rather the hubby says they do................ rolling eyes , funny how mine last twice as long.
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum,
Skis do wear out whether you use them or not.
Plastics degrade due to plasticiser migration, which is the PVC that holds the fillers in plastics together, evaporating. You can see it on the inside of your car windsreen as a white film on the glass, that's why old car dashboards crack and old plastic becomes brittle.
The metals within the ski, loose their elasticity and become work hardened, like bending a piece of metal back & forth untill in snaps.
The skis start to feel 'dead' under foot and loose their springyness.

As for types of construction and components, within the ski, there are eleventy zillion, with pretty much each ski having a different construction in terms of materials used within the Ski. Some of the Brochures will show you cross sections of the skis, showing the various sandwich layers. These can include: Carbon fibre, Plastics, Foam, Wood, Aluminium, Steel, Rubber, Titanium, Glassfibre, the list goes on.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shop servicing of sks appears to involve running the base across a wide grinding wheel, it removes a small amount of edge and base material to leave a flat base and sharp edges. The more often a ski is serviced the quicker the material is removed. Holes in the base can be filled before grinding but dents in the edge cannot. Perhaps Helen skis better and lighter than her hubby and so damages her ski less and has them serviced less.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Adrian, possibly. But far more likely that husband (being, I assume, a man) likes to have the latest gear in order to keep up with the rest of the boys. Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Shop servicing of sks appears to involve running the base across a wide grinding wheel, it removes a small amount of edge and base material to leave a flat base and sharp edges.

and this seems to be one of the arguments for doing it yourself, little and often, with a much lighter touch. I think the point at which skiers are aware of skis "losing their springiness" depends a bit on ability - I'm never too sure that I am sensitive enough to the feedback from the skis to feel all the things some people say they do. Maybe a pair of skis which would no longer satisfy an expert springing lightly down a black run, leaping from mogul to mogul, would be fine for a beginner doing snowplough turns down a nursery slope. Then again, there are the gear heads who can easily persuade themselves that the only thing standing between themselves and those perfect turns is the price of another pair of planks, a sum often better spent on some top flight lessons.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Sometimes the edges can wear out. Or rather the hubby says they do................, funny how mine last twice as long.

It's a man thing! Other half and I can ski the same slopes and he'll get nicks in the edges and holes in the bases whereas mine still look like they've been freshly serviced. And it happens even if we have the same skis, so it's not construction which causes it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I might have 3 pairs of skis but Deb has 134 pairs of shoes, & none of them look worn out to me rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, where do you keep 134 pairs of shoes? Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
if you ski hard and agressively the springiness can start to degrade after 16 weeks of skiing according to some professionals i have talked to. they recon they dont get a full season out of a pair of skis and can feel them lose energy

i think for mere mortals it is more a case of getting bored with them and upgrading for newer technology and/or cooler colours...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski history

dont know if below counts a waring out or bad luck.

first ski grow out of (lenth) after5 years mediam GT
second ski omesoft snapped tip of left ski after 6 years
third skis Course SL riped edge out of right ski after 9 years
four skis cant remember lasted 4 year but lost edge
fifth skis still running on them after approx 6 years salamon viper S9 (in think that what they are, at present locked in friends chalet hope to meet up with them in 11 days).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ntfarmer, Same boots for HOW many years wink

'Bout time you bought some carving ski's it's the new thing you know Laughing

12 days wink 11 Days to get yourself to CEM in Bicester wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Think i do one more year in boots and see CEM when get back becouse of knee.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never personally owned a pair of skis that have worn out.
I hear it happens but have not experienced it yet.

By the Way, anyone interested in buying the K2 Burnin Luvs I bought at the beginning of the season?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought my first skis way back when - they were long and thin. Also got a pair of boots then too. Used the skis a lot and would have kept them but after a short break from skiing because of having young children when I returned to skiing the shape of the skis had changed. Also some mice had made a home in my boots and eaten the insides so it was time for new boots and new skis!
I think replacing skis for me will be about a change of graphics and maybe just giving a different pair a go, but I'll probably use the "skis worn out" excuse as a justification.
ski holidays
I didn't take up skiing until I was 35 years old. Since then, about 2,000 ski days. For the last 20 years, I've been retired and ski 80-90 days a year. I have worn out two pairs of skis. It takes years to wear out a ski. Most everybody updates their skis before they wear out, but the key to telling if a ski is worn out is camber collapse. Put a pair of skis together with the bases tip to tip, tail to tail, and the brake out of the way. Camber is the gap between the skis under the bindings. New skis should have a gap or 1" or more. Worn out skis have no gap-- no camber.

Camber is essential to turning a ski with the least effort. I have skied skis with no camber, and it is exhausting, bordering on impossible. So, the lesson is, as long as there is camber, the ski is not worn out.

Several comments mention wearing out edges. I find edges indestructible: I've newer come close to edge failure, and no skier I know has ever experienced worn out edges. I can see how excessive or improper sharpening can destroy edges, but I don't think that if you take proper care of your edges, camber failure will happen long before edge failure.

I sharpen my edges about every 100,000 vertical feet at 1 & 1.5 degrees which works well for all Utah snow conditions, which are the best in the world. Just today I rode up the lift with a skier from New England who sharpened at 4.7 degrees to cope with New England inferior snow conditions. Everywhere in Europe has conditions as bad as or worse than New England, so it may be that if you are sharpening your edges at extreme degrees to survive icy runs, maybe you will destroy the edges before camber failure, but I doubt it.

And again: don't worry abut skis wearing out. You will decide to upgrade long before that happens.
ski holidays
I wonder how many pairs of skis the OP was worn out since the previous post? Shocked
ski holidays
@kb0000, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow report
@kb0000, welcome to snowHead s.

But I am afraid your are talking crap.

Edges are not indestructible. I have destructed many pairs.

Camber is a more or less (in context) concept given early rise, rocker, etc. and a questionable design feature in the first place.

I could go on...
ski holidays
... and I've had skis go relatively floppy after 100 days let alone 800! It does depend on construction of course but I've got skis with full woodcore and two layers of titanal that are noticeably less stiff after about 120 days use.

I suspect piste skiing in Utah is probably the most friendly conditions for ski life though. You are going to wear through edges a lot quicker when you need them sharp for ice or ding them on stones.
snow report
@Megamum, The spring/rebound in your ski is provided by the laminated construction within it. Over time it won't fail as much as become much less springy. As this is a gradual process you probably won't notice easily. Servicing the ski will keep the edges sharp and the base in good condition, so will help - but won't stop the decay. All skis die in the end. rolling eyes
snow report
kb0000 wrote:

Camber is essential to turning a ski with the least effort. I have skied skis with no camber, and it is exhausting, bordering on impossible. So, the lesson is, as long as there is camber, the ski is not worn out.

You're doing something wrong then, as nothing pivots and turns quicker or easier than full reverse camber skis...
snow report
do skis get reincarnated when they die?

I'd hate to think that mine would come back as a snowboard or worst still, blades. Very Happy
snow conditions
kb0000 wrote:
... a skier from New England who sharpened at 4.7 degrees to cope with New England inferior snow conditions.
4.7 degrees? That must have taken a bit of trial and error to decide that 4.5 degrees and 5 degrees just won't cut the mustard (or the ice).
latest report
I got a pair of second hand SL skis very cheaply, and there was a bulge and a break in one edge where it had slammed into a pole. Being a heavily used race ski there is little base left, and I have one big chunk just behind this area missing and the remaining base is too thin to repair with a base pistol. But, they still have spring to them and ski just fine, have had 3 seasons out of them and will use them until I blow the edge.

I recently saw a friend skiing amazingly on a pair of SL skis with 20cm of edge actually missing, it had coiled off like a spring and so he had to snap it off. He just swapped so it was his outside edge and skied fine (bloody ex racers seem to be able to ski anything with style).

4.7 degrees sounds a bit extreme for recreational skiing, all my skis are at 3 and 4 is the highest I've known anyone use.

And speaking of skis wearing out, my first skis, the good old Rossi Bandit B2s, become like soft noodles after 3-4 years as the foam core degenerated. Eventually one of them delaminated from behind the binding to near the tail. Always made sure I had good quality wood core skis since then, my Nordica all mountain skis are still going strong after 8 years.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 3-03-17 12:08; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Little Martin wrote:
do skis get reincarnated when they die?

I'd hate to think that mine would come back as a snowboard or worst still, blades. Very Happy

...Only if they're Buddhist and done something wrong in their past life (like having cr@p graphics on a pink background).
snow report
kb0000 wrote:
......New skis should have a gap or 1" or more. Worn out skis have no gap-- no camber.....Camber is essential to turning a ski with the least effort.....I have skied skis with no camber, and it is exhausting, bordering on impossible.....

Fellow snowHeads, please ignore this information as it's so unbelievably flawed/out of date.
ski holidays
Quote:

the good old Rossi Bandit B2s, become like soft noodles after 3-4 years as the foam core degenerated

And they started pretty dead and floppy as I remember Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, Too true. Although they were a great ski for first week skier.
latest report
kb0000 wrote:

Utah snow conditions, which are the best in the world.

kb0000 wrote:
New England inferior snow conditions.

kb0000 wrote:
Everywhere in Europe has conditions as bad as or worse than New England

Wow, you're going to fit in around here rolling eyes Have you met Whitegold yet? Laughing

As for all the pish about camber - as previously stated, very flawed and out of date.
snow report
kb0000 wrote:
Put a pair of skis together with the bases tip to tip, tail to tail, and the brake out of the way. Camber is the gap between the skis under the bindings. New skis should have a gap or 1" or more. Worn out skis have no gap-- no camber.

Damn! So you're telling me that my powder skis were worn out from the day they were made? Because the non-existent camber had collapsed... when they were manufactured?

Quote:

Camber is essential to turning a ski with the least effort. I have skied skis with no camber, and it is exhausting, bordering on impossible.

Well that's amazing too because I could have sworn that mine turn on a sixpence even in deep snow whereas my more cambered carving skis need to be moving to turn.

All in all, @SypderjonI want my money back you thieving scouse git. You sold me skis that were manufactured worn out!!!
latest report
@dp, Very Happy
ski holidays
@Dashed, I did a double-take and had to check who the poster was. Maybe our esteemed troll has been taking lessons from DG (or whichever sock is currently active)? Laughing
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
kb0000 wrote:

You're doing something wrong then, as nothing pivots and turns quicker or easier than full reverse camber skis...

No, I'm right, you are wrong. Reverse camber is essential to easy turning and is triggered by applying either of two of Newton's 3 laws of motion, called, in traditional ski terminology, either up or down unweighting. Set a new ski on the floor and you will see that it only makes contact with the floor at two very small points at the front and back of the ski. This is the effect of camber, and the ski has no choice but to go straight ahead because the side cut is not in contact with the surface (floor or snow). To turn the ski-- to engage the edge-- requires reverse camber- pushing the ski down into the snow so that the full length of the edge is driven into the surface. A ski that has lost its camber cannot be put into reverse camber because there is no camber to reverse, and such skis are very tough to turn. You will have a very short ski day if there is no camber.

And let me repeat. I have actually experienced total failure of two pairs of skis that suffered complete camber loss. When that happens, reverse camber is virtually impossible. In the last week, I bought three pairs of used skis + bindings for a total outlay of $1, bringing my ski collection up to 18 pairs, the most expensive of which are 2 pairs of brand new skis that cost $139 and 5 new pairs that cost $39-69. When I buy used skis, I check: 1] length, 2] DIN range of the bindings, 3] overall condition, 4] can I adjust the bindings to fit my boots, & 5] camber.

Another comment points out that camber collapse is so gradual that you barely notice it. However, once it totally gone, you will notice it big time.
snow conditions
A lot depends on how hard you ski and how you store the skis between seasons. I have killed more skis than I could shake a stick at - bent tips, delamination, holes in the sole through to the base... I also found that they gradually lose their spring until they get so lifeless they are no longer any fun to ski. My last pair were Atomic SL11s and when they lost their camber they became really hard to ski in powder - they would just nosedive and get stuck. Some skiers don't really notice what they have on their feet, others find it makes the difference between a great holiday and wanting to give up skiing as no longer enough fun to be worth the effort.
snow report
@kb0000, are you saying that a ski which has become lifeless is impossible to bend because it doesn't have a natural camber when it is unweighted?

Up-unweighting and down-unweighting are very old-fashioned terms in skiing, dating from days of yore when skis were long, skinny sticks. We no longer have to pop up (or pull up our feet) to help initiate a turn for every turn we make. And as a side note, since when did up-unweighting and down-unweighting each indicate a different law of motion?
latest report
kb0000 wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
kb0000 wrote:

No, I'm right, you are wrong.

Nope, you are very very wrong. Google rocker and reverse camber, and the benefits thereof.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
I might have 3 pairs of skis but Deb has 134 pairs of shoes, & none of them look worn out to me rolling eyes

Now I'm worried on 2 counts. I have more pairs of skis than @spyderjon and I'm not sure now that I have enough shoes...! Toofy Grin

(Oh, and none of my skis are worn out, not even my old Preachers which were very well loved by Jude before I acquired them...as for shoes, well you don't want to risk wearing them out, do you? Best to have enough that you don't risk it Little Angel )
snow report
kb0000 wrote:

No, I'm right, you are wrong.

How can I put this?? You couldn't be more wrong! But I love your arrogance!

I suspect your 18 ski quiver is a sight to behold! Most expensive brand new less than 100 quid and majority around 20 quid. Must be some beauties in there!

Go on son, jog on back to the 1980's with your outdated, ignorant pish rolling eyes
latest report
@kb0000, being from the US you should sign up to http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/8-Tech-Talk - the guys'n'gals would really appreciate your technical input.

Yep, Utah is great & I remember the "Welcome to Utah, the greatest snow on earth" sign in SLC airport. Thought the sign was pretty accurate until I went to Niseko Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy