Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smoking in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Do anyone know if the smoking ban in pubs etc has started in Austria? (If it's ever going to!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It hadn't at New Year but I'm not sure if its planned. In fact, in some of the bars I went in you were more likely to get chucked out if you WEREN'T smoking!!! But that perhaps a reflection of the type of bars I hang out in rather than Austria as a whole!!! wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They need one in L2A
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I seem to remember reading on here that a smoking ban in Austria is to happen. Whether it's just the contrast with here and N.America, I don't know, but Austrians seem to smoke like lums.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was in Austria just last month, from what I'm aware of there was no smoking ban in place and you seemed to be able to smoke anywhere you like, restaurants included, there didn't even seem to be non smoking sections.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Possibly next year I heard Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Austria is very bad for smoke, sadly. There are non-smoking stube in some mountain restaurants.

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is no ban - there are no 'no smoking' sections either. In fact - the more fags you smoke - the more normal you are! People think nothing of lighting up around kids an babies either!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here a subject I started sometime ago about Smoke Free lodge in Lech

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21198&highlight=lech+smoke+free
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish wrote:
Austria is very bad for smoke, sadly. There are non-smoking stube in some mountain restaurants.

snowHead

Worse in Switzerland but at least now the Swiss Goverment is finally talking & considering a ban !

http://www.englishforum.ch/swiss-politics-news/1782-two-thirds-swiss-want-restaurant-smoking-ban.html?highlight=smoking

Cigaretes Sales girls even come round the bars to try and sell you more packets at discount Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Bish wrote:

snowHead

Hit the nail right on the head, definately the only downer for me on a recent trip to St. Anton... I found the only restaurant on rendle that there was inside around 8 tables for non-smokers out of a total of say 40...but then they're we're less people smoking on chairs or around the bottom of the lifts than yuo might find in france..

bring on the ban...cervinia last easter was a revelation...July 1st here we come...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh tell me about it! I went to the pub quiz in my local last night and got totally kippered. Coughed until I was sick when I got back. Freedom day cannot come a moment too soon for me!

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish,

Don't tell me there were people drinking in the pub too? Whatever next? It's an outrage - people who carry out these legal activities in pubs should be flogged.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nobody made me ill by drinking. And the smoking will not be legal soon: Freedom Day!

snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Come on then! I love a good row with people who tell me that not being able to poison other people is an infringement of THEIR rights.

snowHead
ski holidays
So go somewhere else, not the pub you chose to enter.....after all, you have the right to choose too, and there are generally plenty of non-smoking venues to frequent these days....and the day smoking is made illegal will be a long long way away.....
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
Come on then! I love a good row with people who tell me that not being able to poison other people is an infringement of THEIR rights.

snowHead

Well said , looking forward to a nice beer without choking on other peoples disgusting life threatening fumes
latest report
AS I stated already, so why not go to a non-smoking venue? There will be hundreds around soon enough.....

And no, I am not a smoker....I just respect other peoples rights to do so. If I go to the pub, I expect people who do smoke to do just that....
ski holidays
Quote:

There will be hundreds around soon enough.....

Only because of the smoking ban coming into force on July 1st. I live in a village. There are no smoke-free pubs. I have no choice.
snow report
travel to another village perhaps?
ski holidays
Quote:

Come to Scotland, we know how to protect the health of bar workers here.

Quote:
...I just respect other peoples rights to do so.

What about the bar staff? Smoking bans aren't about penalising smokers, they are about protecting the staff who have to work in unhealthy environments.

snowHead
snow report
Guvnor wrote:

Drink driving Confused
snow report
Guvnor,

Smokers should not have rights IMO if they are filling up my lungs with carcenogenic without my permission ?
Do smokers have a legitimate right to habitually litter our streets with there habit.
How much ash deposited on our streets contributes to making our envrioment dirty ?

The Drink & Smoking argument/comparison is a non-starter. No person having a drink directly affected my health & in anycase nt everyone who goes into a bar has an alcholic beverage.

I never understood why its taken us Non-Smoker to redress the balance and kick smokers out of Public space altogether Very Happy
snow report
stanton,

Smokers currently have exactly the same rights as any of the rest of the population, this is because, like it or lump it, they are members of the population. Tax paying, voting, legitimate members of the population. Therefore, they currently have the right to smoke in a public place. Because it is just that - public. And they are members of the public.

I therefore respect their rights as members of the public, and for the years I have frequented public bars, I have assumed that there may be smokers in there smoking. It is therefore my right to choose to enter these bars where people may be smoking.

I have not suggested anything around a drinking/smoking argument, but if anyone could furnish me with the facts and figures around death linked to drinking, then I may have a starting point for such a debate. Suffice to say I know of people who have had their lives affected greatly by drink drivers, or indeed drunken pedestrians, whom they have innocently encountered whilst carrying on their business.

The litter argument is a non-starter IMHO. Do gum chewers have the same rights to litter our streets habitually? Do parents have the right to fill our landfill sites by dumping non bio-degradeable nappies? How about car drivers? The polution they produce creates all sort of environmental issues.....and as for users of electricity, what a scourge on the earth they are. Think of the trees and the fluffy bunnies, dammit.....it's a pointless debate.

I shall re-iterate my point. Smokers currently have rights. I respect their rights, and I am also aware that I have a choice as to whether to enter establishments which have for centuries, been frequented by smokers. If I don't like it, I have the choice to go elsewhere.

If I didn't like these choices and rights available, I would move to somewhere like North Korea, where I suspect (but do not know) I may have these rights of choice not available to me.
latest report
Snowheads!

The clue is in the title, save it for letters to the Guardian Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
I dig that martski,
ski holidays
Dear Sir

Choice is good. I would choice a smoke free environment every time. Tobbacco is a fossil fuel and gives of CO2 went burned, also there is the energy usage of washing machines and baths/showers t rid one of the evil smells. Ban the fag in public places.
latest report
Guvnor.

Many people want to go into Pubs bars to have a drink without smoke. You mentioned you have a choice not to go in or elswhere. I m afraid there are very few Pubs/bars that are non-smoking. Therefore I think its the smokers who should go looking for a place to smoke. I do not no the fiurs but I guess the majority of poeple frequent a Pub or Bar for Drink NOT a smoke ?

Lets not get on to the Drivng under the influence (They should be crushed with the car)). This is a tiny % of people compared to the millions of smokers directly affecting millions of innocent peoples health.

Its very admirable of you defending smokers rights . Do you work for BAC, or Phillip Morris? I would recommend advocate a strategic balistic missile strikes on there manufacturing facilities.

People who throw chewing gum on the street or any litter should be shot.

The other problems you talk about we do not have on the Mainland.

Still Smokers rights IMO are null and void if they affect my health Sad

ITs not long now before the EU will throw down an EU wide directive on abolishing Smoking in all public places rather than waiting for individual goverments to take action Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Recently in Jersey they've introduced a moking ban in all work places, includes everywhere where anyone works (apart from outside), it's even illegal to smoke in a work vehicle now. It's a right blessing to be honest, I was a smoker before this ban came in and it's made me quit - can't be a bad thing.

The sooner this happens everywhere the better - make the tobacco companies suffer for all the years they've made everyone else suffer.
snow report
Quote:

People who throw chewing gum on the street or any litter should be shot.
Community Services for murderers?
ski holidays
Quote:

to the millions of smokers directly affecting millions of innocent peoples health.

Innocent? Innocent of what? Let he who is without sin and all that.......and nice advocation of the use of a weapon of mass destruction to murder untold numbers of people in order that you do not have to go to one of the national chains who have already banned smoking on their premises. Do you have relatives in Texas perchance?

I am a non-smoker - however I still support the current rights of smokers to do so. The war waged on smoking in a public place has been won, it is now just down the the implementation of the legislation to prevent it.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

Shoot them as well.

FYI

In Holland murderers dont spend that cuh time in Jail (unless phycos). Most are out within 6-8 yrs. It is believed to be more cost effective to treat & rehabilitate them . Goes the same for nearly all criminals.
latest report
stanton,

Apart from smokers, eh? I bet they are held in solitary with no food or water indefinately without trial.....
ski holidays
Guvnor wrote:
So go somewhere else, not the pub you chose to enter.....after all, you have the right to choose too, and there are generally plenty of non-smoking venues to frequent these days....and the day smoking is made illegal will be a long long way away.....

Good point. I am going "somewhere else" in future. CANADA! Smoking is one of a few reasons that I'm not bothering with Europe anymore. Seriously. A ten hour flight is less hassle than a week of fag smoke!
Problem is, Smoking is SO common in Austria that you can't simply choose another bar because it will be full of smoke too.
I came back from Schladming a couple of weeks ago and the only benefit of the mild weather was that I could sit outside instead of inside the smoke logged restaurants.
Having a "no smoking" area in a restaurant is like having a "no urinating" area in a swimming pool!
ski holidays
Our American customers are quite worried that people are going outside for a fag......

Laughing even more worried about spotted dick on the Dessert menu .............. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Guvnor

Why not good idea ! A single Murderer probably doesnt kill or harm as many people as as one smokers does.

Multiply that by the millions of smokers & they cause more death & harm than anything I can think of and its legal for some odd reason Sad Goverment sponsored Murder ?
snow report
stanton wrote:
No person having a drink directly affected my health

Obviously never been to glasgow Toofy Grin
snow conditions
stanton, Surely the great Dutch sporting heroes like Raymond van Barneveld should be allowed to smoke and drink as much as they wish ?

I do note a Dutch trend to more slimline, abstemious players though.

And what about the Dutch coffee houses for consumption of waccy baccy ?

Though I am not a smoker, smoking is often a sign that a UK establishment is not part of the worst type of chain. All the best cafes allow smoking. The Spreadeagle pub in Wandsworth is a fine old Victorian gin palace and anybody who drinks in there could smoke for England.

I can remember the old smokers carriages on trains when I was a kid. That was a proper smokey atmosphere.
snow report
stanton,

Sorry, I am getting confused....So one person smoking a cigarette, by process of passive consumption, single handedly causes more death than old age, famine, disease, war, accident, murder etc etc?

No, I can see it now, and I stand corrected and take it all back - your logic and reasoning has won me over.

Burn the smokers. Burn them in HELL Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
And the smoking will not be legal soon: Freedom Day!

Nice to see someone fluent in Newspeak.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy