Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites in the Corvara area - Any Opinions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It looks like I have agreat opportunity to spend 10-14 days in italy skiing in March. Such an amazing price, I can't pass it up. I was just wondering if anyone had been there and what the opinions were. Looks like we're staying in the Corvara area with plans to ski Sella Ronda, Cortina, and I'm not sure where else since I can't translate the itinerary completely Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome. I had originally posted this on EpicSki and someone recommended I post here as well. Thanks fo any info.

Allen
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Covara is a good location from which to cover a lot of ground in the Dolomites. The piste skiing is pretty tame, but there's a lot of it. A fun run is the Val Mezdi which brings you back to Covara from the top of the Sella. In addition to the Sella Ronda you can ski over to Arabba and on to the Marmolada, the only glacier in the Dolomites. Some nice skiing at the Paso di Falzarego on the way from Covara to Cortina. A long run on the north face to the Capana Alpina. Snow should still be good in March.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaMtnRider, go for it. If it's late March it could be a little risky for low snow, but earlier in March should be fine. The scenery's unique - pink cliff faces, gorgeous relaxed skiing. Arabba is a little more testing.

I love that area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info! This wil be my first trip to Europe so I'm excited for the new experience. I've heard several people say the snow/terrain is a lot different than Stateside. Any comparisons to US slopes as to what I should expect?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The main difference is that the trees don't grow above about 2000m / 7000ft, so the high terrain tends to be much more open. The snow is the same, really. Maybe a bit more risky, but they make snow in that area.

Expect superior food!

The Dolomites are within striking distance of Venice. I'd definitely take a couple of days out of that trip to visit the city, if you've never been.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DaMtnRider, we had a thread on this not long ago. See here
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaMtnRider,
On part of the Sella Ronda ski circuit there is a pass called Passo Pordoi, from which there is a cable car (aerial tram in US English!) which goes to the peak of Sass Pordoi at 2950 metres. There is a restaurant and panoramic terrace with outstanding views, see this link
Although I was only there for the view, as the site says there are several demanding off piste trails which start from there for skilled skiers - but make sure you use a local guide! snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Corvara is a great place to stay. I've skied Flaine, Val d'Isere, and the Three Valleys area in France and Zermatt and Davos in Switzerland pretty often over the last few years. I enjoy steep and deep and off piste but I have to say one of my favourite areas is this part of the Dolomites. Doucas and DaMtnRider are pretty spot on in their comments. Arabba which is linked in to Corvara offers some more challenging skiing and right by Corvara you've got an FIS downhill run at La Villa which is a good enough black for some fast if you dare downhill. If you are an off piste afficianado then, as DaMtnRider says, the Pordoi routes offer a great day out. The brilliant thing about this area is (a) unique mountain geology and scenary, (b) great mountain cuisine, and miles and miles of well organised piste. Finally, Corvara is a well situated base to explore the lot. Go for it without hesitation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stanbowles I'm being picky here, but the run at La Villa, which name is Gran Risa, it's the WC GS run site, not the DH.
The DH site is few km away, just past Selva di Val Gardena, the run is called
Saslong "A" (yes, there is a Saslong b] which is a red) and arrived at Santa Cristina.
Both places can be reached skis on foot from Corvara.
P.S I'll be in Colfosco (the village just above Corvara) 22nd-29th Jan 2005
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Matteo, Don't worry about being picky. It all adds to the information. All this is doing though is making me wish I was launching myself down Gran Risa.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Corvara is the jewel in the Dolomites. The best location to access the Sella Ronda and have the choice of heading towards Arraba or the other way to Canazei. TRhat said the Sella Ronda is nice the first time or two you do it but after that We found that we wanted quiter skiing with less queues, something of a problem at times. The night life in Corvara didn't bother us but if we were younger it would have. There is an excellent boot bopping bar at the top of the Gran Risa mentioned earlier. The ski back to resort can be a bit tricky though after! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
StanBowles wrote:
Matteo, Don't worry about being picky. It all adds to the information. All this is doing though is making me wish I was launching myself down Gran Risa.

Me too. I'll be there january 22-29, 2005...can't wait
Althought, earlier times Gran Risa was something else.
Steep, narrow, very narrow, with a fork midway where one could take an even more direct route to the bottom, and icy, very icy.
Last year I haven't skied it, b/c was with my boys and had to solve a little mid day low sugar crisis...by the time the thing was sorted, it was time to leave...better luck this year, I hope...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We was there last January in Corvara and fell in love with the place. We stayed in the Miramonte Hotel and had lovely views. We went with Inghams but sadly this season they have dropped out Evil or Very Mad. I want to go back this January but dont know who else goes there. Some help would be nice.

I have been skiing to many places in the Italian Alps and this area i think is the best. The snow seems to be deeper than Selva and more reliable, its even deeper at Arabba. The hidden Valley was my favoutite run from Lagazuoi. You need to get a bus from Armentarola to get there which i think was about 5 euros. It was fantastic!!! My other favourite area was Colfosco and Col Alto. Next time im there i want to try the Gran Risa black run and ski down the Marmolada.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
surfski, Did you discover the Posta Zirm apres ski bar? Great atmosphere. Also the bar at the top of the Grand Risa.

Best suggestion I can give you is to go with Inghams to the Grifone between Arraba and Corvara in the Campolongo Pass,if you don't mind being isolated then its a short ski to Corvara. Otherwise it's a do it your self job, Idealy to the Posta Zirm.

After Corvara you will be disapointed if you go to Canazei.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris B, yes i did discover the Posta Zerm which is in the centre of the village right by the main shopping area. Its very lively and you can even bob in your ski boots!Smile I didnt find the bar at the top of the Grand Risa but i will this season for sure as i want to ski down that steep black run which is the mens downhill! Shocked

Went for the option to stay in Arabba as Inghams are not going to Corvara this season, so the next nearest resort was Arabba and have booked with Inghams and staying Jan 15th in the Hotel Evaldo. Its got more challenging skiing there but the apres ski i have heard is a bit quiet but then i dont mind that as im so tired after a full days skiing. Just cant hack doing both Laughing

Canazei looked a bit limited and to low down in my books as the snow was never as good as Corvara and Arabba plus there wasnt as much extensive skiing in that area.

Anyone going to the Corvara, Arabba area then Jan 15th?

http://www.arabba.com/webcam_uk.htm
http://www.altabadia.org/winter/content.asp?L=3&R=5914
http://www.hotelevaldo.it/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy