Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday... what's up?

Poster: A snowHead
Bode Miller - bit too far in the back seat on that 2nd run! Good he finished, though Phil didn't look too happy. Anyone would think he wanted shot of him!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surprised at the lack of comment here!

This Sunday, the first 20 mins were about ice diving. (One did, the other wimped out). As diving is my first sport, I should have been interested, but all I saw was a cowboy outfit putting the wrong people under ice in the wrong gear with the wrong equipment. A few poor underwater shots and no skiing. Total cr*p.

Then a bit of Ladies skiing. Then a comedian skiing badly down a slalom. Then the credits.

Is it me or is this all a little pointless? Or just poorly named?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At the end of the programme (presuming that you have not slipped into a coma) you are told to press the red button to watch the skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I enjoyed it. Think I'm getting to quite like the programme now that I understand what it's about (anything vaguely winter sportish) and what it's not about (a programme dedicated to ski racing).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiers - one Boarders - nil Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The diving was terrifying Shocked Shocked Still cold thinking about it Laughing Good program. bug all to do with skiing, more now a winter sports (ish) type program. Beats Heartbeat Confused Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kel wrote:
At the end of the programme (presuming that you have not slipped into a coma) you are told to press the red button to watch the skiing.

No no! Red button was pressed as ordered! Very Happy

Snow forecast (nowhere near where I'm going
A bit of men's slalom
A repeat of the women's slalom shown in the program Shocked
Snow forecast - repeat until asleep.

Perhaps "Wintersports Sunday" would be a better name now?

Interesting other view from Diver's perspective.
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/surface-interval/67111-anybody-watching-ski-sunday.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't ask me how I know but viewing figure for Ski Sunday 10/2 was 1.1 million. That compares with Antiques Roadshow (7.1 million) and C4's Inside Hamas (700,000). 1.1 million suggests to me that it's doing OK. Funnily enough the UK ski population is normally stated around that figure but I suspect there are loads of armchair dwelling non-skiers watching it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, I didn't bother to even watch Ski Sunday this week, I recorded channel 4 's contribution on Sunday morning and was entertained later in the day to some great competition in Sestriere with the Lady's downhill. I was nice to see Micky Dorfmeister doing her bit with Nick Fellows. I'll stick to the traditional stuff and hope that fluffy "Ski Sunday" disappears into oblivion where it belongs at the moment and where I Couldn't Recommend A Purchase- get it! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mdemon2 wrote:
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/surface-interval/67111-anybody-watching-ski-sunday.html

Yeah, I thought that. Why the hell weren't they using dry suits with a full face cover mask. Madness!

I had an argument with one of my friends because he said that they were in dry suits, and I said they were semi-drys. I knew I was right. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
mdemon2 wrote:

Yeah, I thought that. Why the hell weren't they using dry suits with a full face cover mask. Madness!

I had an argument with one of my friends because he said that they were in dry suits, and I said they were semi-drys. I knew I was right. Very Happy

I though why are they diving on a ski program?..... I guess there is the 'why are they snowboarding on a ski program' (-runs and hides-)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like the *idea* of the new Ski Sunday - some of Ed's pieces in particular have been jawdropping at times - in particular the Japan and Russian trips. I just don't think that they've got the writers/researchers to present a whole hour a week of what is clearly angling to be Top Gear On Snow. The obvious solution would be to split each show into twenty minutes each of professional competition, travelogue and 'how to ski' segments, so a typical show would have extended highlights of an alpine event (sans all the 'video diary' stuff in the bars and with the crowds), an extensive guide to a resort or ski area (much like Ed's Japan trip was), and a good chunk of technique/kit reviews/news from the slopes etc.

I Sky+ it, spin through the stuff i'm not taken by (ice-diving, this week), enjoy the rest, and make sure i've got plenty of C4/Eurosport/ExSports to fill in the rest of my time...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spikyhedgehog wrote:

It was madness. Utter madness. And dangerous as well.

I've dived in winter in this country in both a semi dry suit and a dry suit. Once in a semi dry was more than enough for me, and that was nowhere near the temperature they dived in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A decent programme that I would rather watch than not.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, but more or less decent that it was?
latest report
......and next week on Diving Weekly, the new BBC magazine programme devoted to all things scuba, a special report on some divers going snowboarding in Chamonix....

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Trenmold wrote:
......and next week on Diving Weekly, the new BBC magazine programme devoted to all things scuba, a special report on some divers going snowboarding in Chamonix....

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
FastEddie wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, but more or less decent that it was?

The old Ski Sunday had already died a death because it didn't have the rights to a season-long WC campaign. It only had championships and odd events. I don't think we have the choice between old style Ski Sunday and new style Ski Sunday. The choice is between new style Ski Sunday and nothing (although it's not really nothing as all we have to do for racing coverage is tune into Ch 4 or Eurosport). For my part the new stye Ski Sunday is enjoyable, and certainly much better than nothing Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

For my part the new stye Ski Sunday is enjoyable, and certainly much better than nothing

and I wouldn't mind betting nothing was the option when the Beeb lost the rights to any skiing Sad
snow conditions
Can't disagree there - like i said, without the rights to the races, the remaining niche is that of an all-around winter sports magazine programme, tapping into the massive popularity of skiing and snowboarding in this country.

But less of the f**king ice diving and summer trekking, por favor.
latest report
Just watched this evening's Ski Sunday. There seemed to be great powder snow in the Gulmarg resort in Kashmir, although a bit disconcerting that you have to sign a disclaimer before they let you ride the gondola - I gathered that this was due to the risk of the gondola itself rather than the ski terrain! Shocked
ski holidays
We did have some snowHeads out there but I dont think they have been on line lately?
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
...a bit disconcerting that you have to sign a disclaimer before they let you ride the gondola...

Maybe they were just agreeing to the T&Cs before using it wink
snow conditions
Another great show tonight
latest report
Missed the show tonight and don't have the replay do-dah on my freeview box. Does this feature on i-player? All I can find is three short highlights on the BBC.
ski holidays
Josef K, Not on iplayer. Contractual things I believe. Torrents it is wink snowHead
snow report
I must admit I'm really enjoying the series and will be sad when it comes to the end of its run this season.
snow conditions
This weeks episode also featured a snowHead - choodalls!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hoppo,

Where at?
latest report
I really liked it last night.

It didnt have too much naff travel holiday bits.

The section in the Dolomites was really interesting.

It still can and needs to be improved though.
snow report
thought that was the best one yet, .... a bit of safety, a resort that you would not particularly head to, some racing for the tech heads, etc. etc. etc. Big respect to the celeb this week too Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, yup. To all of that. And though I won't ever ski there - I had wondered what skiing in Kashmir was like - and it was fascinating. Frank Gardner? Worthy of serious respect.
snow report
Christopher, Agree - I have been very critical of the programme but this week it was interesting with the section on Kashmir. At the end of the show I hit the "red" button and watched good old fashioned Ski Sunday commentary on the the mens' slalom from Zagreb which was truly exciting. So long as the "red" button is there to watch proper ski racing as well I am OK with Ski Sunday with its more general magazine content. Like this it is catering for all tastes I feel.
latest report
I find myself defending the BBC, I get up Sunday morning to watch the downhill skiing on Channel 4 very enjoyable, what skill those skier's have. Later in the day I watch Ski Sunday, now the BBC could just repeat what had been shown on Channel 4 however they try to appeal to a wider audiance, I go on holiday to ski, so I like to know what other resorts are like, what tips are available to improve my skiing etc, a bit like reading the topics on snowheads it's called variety.
ski holidays
thouht the skiing celeb in the sit ski was a very brave bloke and did really well with only three weeks experience, the instructor also looked amazing
snow report
I read an interview this week and the format was defended by skiing being a "minority sport" in the UK and the need to appeal to a wider audience as a result. Well if that were the case then why is an entire week on the BBC given over to fat blokes with beards chucking darts at a bit of cork?
snow report
awksquawk wrote:
I read an interview this week and the format was defended by skiing being a "minority sport" in the UK and the need to appeal to a wider audience as a result. Well if that were the case then why is an entire week on the BBC given over to fat blokes with beards chucking darts at a bit of cork?

Because that is NOT a "minority sport". There are anly about 2-3 million Brits go skiing at all each winter and hardly any of them are doing any competitive skiing.

I don't know for sure how many people play darts, but I would be willing to bet it is alot more than those who ski, and every one is playing competitively, unless they are just practicing by themselves.

[cynic]And it is a LOT cheaper to make[/cynic]
snow conditions
Anyone know if it will be repeated?
snow report
Neilski, Agreed the coach of the GB paralympic skiing team (i think) loooked amazing on that sit ski.

I still want them to go to resorts in Europe and review them every week and not just the well known ski racing venues. This would appeal to a lot of skiiers looking to go to different resorts.

I missed the extended racing coverage from Zagreb, who won the mens?
snow report
Quote:

who won the mens?
Mario Matt

Quote:

There are anly about 2-3 million Brits go skiing at all each winter
1.3 million according to the two biggest industry surveys... and that's trips not people. So, I reckon the actual figure is under a million. And, for most, it's a week a year... that makes it a minority sport IMV. Darts players do their "sport" all year round.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy