Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where and when are you going?

Poster: A snowHead
Already booked my usual Kitzbuhel Christmas. Trois Vallees for Feb Half-term. Might well do Les Arcs for Easter, but not sure at present about that one.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scream,

Deb & I were in Saas Fee in the first week of July on a Warren Smith course.

Had a superb time. Snow was very good. We all met at the lift station at 8.00am (although the lift opened at 7.30 I think) and it takes a while to get up to the top as there's a couple of lift changes and they're not that quick. We were skiing by about 8.50am.

It's hard work carrying your skis, poles & boots to the lift station & up on the first day but they have an indoor seated area adjacent to the ski shop, ice museum & restaurant (at 3800m apparently it's the highest at revolving restaurant in the world) were you can 'gear up'.

They also have lockers up there so you'll need a 5 swiss franc coin (non refundable) each day so you can leave your skis up there. Some guys also removed the liners from their boots each day and left the heavy shells in the locker as well. You can get 3 or 4 pairs of skis in one locker.

The ski shop at the top hires out equipment but make sure that you've bought any drinks & food you want in the town as I paid nearly £4 for a bottle of water on the first day Sad

Well all took a rucksac for our food, drink, trainers, spare goggles, fleece etc. Everyone leaves their rucksacs at the bottom of the Tbar were they were perfectly safe.

I was skiing in a wicking tee shirt & my unlined jacket and I was warm enough - just put my fleece on when we stopped for food as I soon cooled down once stopped. When the sun was out is was pretty hot (25 degrees C in the town in the afternoon) and I was using 50+ factor sun cream & still got a bit pink on my forehead. The cloud cover can come in very quickly over the glacier & visibility gets very poor very quickly so a spare pair of low light goggles is a must.

The pistes had been well bashed overnight & there are some good areas for off piste if you get some overnight snow as we did on a couple of nights.

The glacier is on the north side of the mountain but the snow obviously does start to soften as temperature rises throughout the morning. We found the varying conditions really useful in developing the relevant techniques etc & this was one of the main benefits of doing the course there as we got a huge variety of conditions over the week with the tuition on hand to enable us to handle it.

When we were there, the last Tbar back up the slope was at 1.30pm, after that the glacier was shut. We only had one day when as it was too warm & the snow was getting too soft by about 12 so we had to pack in.

There's also an excellent freestyle park/half-pipe plus there's the skierX course which is undoubtably the best fun you can have with your clothes on Very Happy

If you're up to it (& I wasn't) the afternoons can be spent walking & mountain biking - most people take their bikes up the lift to save the uphill pedalling. Saas Fee also has a great indoor swimming pool with jaccuzzi's & sauna's to sooth those weary limbs.

Apparently JonL was there the week after me so you also could ask him for some feedback as well.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, & yes, it's cetainly better than waiting until January snowHead

Kramer, sorry for hijacking your post Blush
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No worries mate.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
moosepig wrote:
La Tania at new year, Les Arcs in March.

Lake Como tomorrow for a week Very Happy

Lake Como where?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back to the UK tomorrow - ugh Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
24/12 to 7/1 whole of Tarentaise from Val D'sere to Valmorel.

Thinking of crossing the pond in Feb/Mar.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bad Hofgastein over the New Year for 9 days, Banff in March for 14. Can we fit in/ afford another??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blimey! We're a well organised lot aren't we?
I'm going to Sauze d'oulx for Christmas & then probably somewhere in France for a week in March
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
October - Hintertux, Christmas - Wengen, New year - Alpbach.
A weekend in La Plagne in Jan. A weekend in Meribel in late Feb. Then 3 weeks over Easter in Les Houches, Meribel and Puy St Vincent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
philbski1, Perhaps see you at the Brits and English then!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, More than likely. I'll definitely be at the British. May have to get someone else to run the English for me though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Matteo wrote:
Lake Como where?

Ciao Matteo!

We stayed in a hotel in Menaggio and visited various other places around the lake by boat. Our favourite place was Bellagio, because of the ristorante "Antico Pozzo" where we had several 3-hour lunches Smile Varenna was quite interesting too, as was Como and the funicular up to Brunate.

One place we visited, Gravedona, was shut when we arrived and also looked like Eastleigh (other Southampton locals will know what I mean) so we turned straight around and got the next boat back. rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saas Fee in 2 weeks time (on the Warren Smith course)
Dec 26th - Tignes
Jan 29th - Les Arcs (Plan Peisey)

Hopefully another trip in early March.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just booked Tignes for 5 December. Already going Feb and March. Husband has always said 3 ski holidays a season is obsessive and refused to go but I caught him in a weak moment NehNeh
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Argentiere ,Megeve and Avoriaz in January.
Kicking Horse,Big White, Silver Star, Apex, Mount Baldy, Red Mountain,Whitewater and Castle Mountain in Feb/March.
Riksgransen in April/May.
And hopefully a good few days out on the Scottish slopes this Winter as well.
snow report
Trysil in Norway for a week in February, Courchevel for a week in March and as many days and weekends as I can fit in to the local resorts in between snowHead
ski holidays
22nd-29th Jan 2005, Colfosco, Dolomites. With mom, uncles, cousin, sons and friends...
Anyone around there , just knock at the hotel, supper time.
ski holidays
moosepig wrote:
Matteo wrote:
Lake Como where?

Ciao Matteo!

We stayed in a hotel in Menaggio and visited various other places around the lake by boat. Our favourite place was Bellagio, because of the ristorante "Antico Pozzo" where we had several 3-hour lunches Smile Varenna was quite interesting too, as was Como and the funicular up to Brunate.

One place we visited, Gravedona, was shut when we arrived and also looked like Eastleigh (other Southampton locals will know what I mean) so we turned straight around and got the next boat back. rolling eyes

Ciao Moosepig
Ehe, nice places, but can be a bit crowded during summer...
I have memories of swimming in the lake, uh 20 years ago, I don't live far from it, brr it was cold!!!
Another place to go is Dervio, from Bellagio look straight norht and you'll see it. It's a common spot for windsurfers (which I'm not).
The two main winds of the lake "Breva" and "Tivan" ("Breva" comes from the german equivalent of breeze, "Tivan" from the French "petit vent") go North south and vice wersa.
Had I known I would have told you to visit Colico too.
Two things can be visisted there, the remnants of a 1600 Spanish castle (Forte Fuentes), and the only Italian example of maginot-like fort, the Forte del Montecchio .
It was built during WWI to stop a feared austrian attack from the Swiss valley. Its 4 naval cannons never shot in a battle.

Forte del Montecchio:
http://www.larioonline.it/italiano/altolario/fortemontecchio.html
http://web.tiscali.it/fortemontecchio/images/15lug9.jpg
http://web.tiscali.it/fortemontecchio/images/Cavalli.jpg
http://web.tiscali.it/fortemontecchio/images/aerea01.jpg
http://web.tiscali.it/fortemontecchio/images/aerea02.jpg

Forte di Fuentes:
http://www.larioonline.it/italiano/altolario/fuentes.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy