Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pix from Tignes Dec 2006

Poster: A snowHead
To complement Stewart's excellent snow reports I thought a few pix might illustrate the state of some of the pistes, These were all taken today. Plenty of snow, few stones and even fewer people! snowHead snowHead Laughing

and the crowd at the race:

Weather is great, and forget global warming, even the beer is cold Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are photos 1 and 3 part of a spot the difference competition? If so what is the prize? wink

Nice pics though, looks great, where were the top 3 taken.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AxsMan, good pics! Glad you're having a great time and Stewart wasn't telling porkies about the snow conditions wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, the 3 people at the bottom of the piste wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great pics. Conditions look pretty good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thats great to see. Keep em comming AxsMan,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro, Oops! Embarassed posted the wrong one by mistake Embarassed

They were taken on verte, collete, and borsat, (at least the ones I meant to post were, there are two of verte in what I actually posted)

will take some more tomorrow, just had the best fondue of my life, savoyarde with a glass of kirsch (to dip the bread in before the cheese) for me, bourgingnon for Mrs Axs, so we created the first fondue bourgignon-savoyarde when she cooked some steak and I dipped it in the cheese mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm m

stuffed now so going to sleep it off Madeye-Smiley Laughing

TTFN
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan, Glad its all working out Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok if I can avoid the finger trouble this time Embarassed here are a couple more shots of the pistes at Tignes today.

We skied over the back of Tignes Le Lac (up Palafor) and down Gratulat and Carline, which was in very good condition and practically empty, into Val Claret

We took Bollins and Tufs up and over to Val D, and the runs down (particularly Edelweis) were not so good but still skiable. Val Claret seemed a little busier than elsewhere (10 minute queues) so we came back via Verte and Tommeuse, rode Aeroski down (although Trolles is open Shocked ) and skied the runs off Palafor Anenome and Lys) after lunch.

Here's the pix

looking up Carline

and down to Val Claret

and back over at Val D, looking up from the start of verte The mist top right is from a snow cannon

and down the piste from the same spot

Having a couple of hours lessons tomorrow, so may get a chance for some more pix later. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice picsAxsMan, the weather looks very similar to what we had in April - as a result the photos just make me desparate to be there Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm in Val d'Isere at the moment. Pistes are OK but some have rock-hard, almost icy, snow. Have been skiing off piste from Sunday to today and plan to ski off piste for about 9 more days. Up high (Fornet yesterday and Borsat today) getting some nice soft snow off piste so enjoying the turns. But we have to walk and/or skin to find the good snow. With these poor snow conditions I highly recommend a good guide such as those in Alpine Experience for finding good snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking nice though.

AxsMan, how long are you in tignes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Axsman,
Check out the Mountain Echo - first issue was out last at - most bars will have copies.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Renry, staying until 26th. Adrian, skiing with Alan Hole of Alpine Logic tomorrow. Kenzie, ?? is it a local paper?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AxsMan, Greeeeaaaaattttttttttt photos.
One of the benefits of skiing at the PSB was that after that experience all pistes will seem soft, and all lifts -wonders of modern technology. Seems very quite
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, snowHead Yes it is surprisingly quiet. Maybe everyone has been listening to stanton and cancelled. rolling eyes Very Happy

Conditions could be better, but 'not bad' is a helluva lot better than 'cr@p' Very Happy

More pix tomorrow (hopefully!)
snow report
AxsMan wrote:
Renry, staying until 26th. Adrian, skiing with Alan Hole of Alpine Logic tomorrow. Kenzie, ?? is it a local paper?

Say hi from me.
ski holidays
AxsMan, my only question is why has no on etackled those slopes in the background yet? They look like powder heaven! Sure it will involve a couple hours snow plodding to get threr but who cares when the reward is all that powder!!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
looking good !
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, I thought you only looked at pictures of Murren? Wink
snow conditions
Charlatanefc, Laughing
latest report
Sorry all, no pix today, too busy skiing (having lesson from Alan Hole)
ski holidays
Friday - Lots of wind overnight and today has badly touched the off piste. Skiied from Gd Motte in the Genepy piste area and skinned up a little towards Borsat. Some wind blown soft patches but not the best or easiest off piste conditions. One of the guides said "two weeks of good off piste fxxxxed up by one night of wind".

Pistes are actually very good although very hard packed. As Axmans pictures show, almost everything is covered in snow, although the snow depth is very small. Off piste has huge numbers of rocks hiding just below the snow waiting to trap skis and skiers.
ski holidays
AxsMan, I was considering booking Alan for al esson in Jan used high ages ago in Courchevel - did you do the 2 or 3 hour lesson and was it worth it - I need a tune up years since I've had a lesson private or otherwise.
snow report
stevew, we did 3 1/2 hours but he only charged us for 2! he will do whatever you want and focus on the skills you want to work on. Our lesson was pretty much a 'tune up' with a focus on developing carved turns. his phone number and email are on his website, I'd give him a call and ask about what you want to do. He fitted us in at 1 days notice and was very helpful.
snow report
I see Alan has just registered as a snowHead... Welcome to snowHeads, Alan! snowHead
snow conditions
Yes welcome Alan, and thanks again for a great lesson yesterday snowHead

Couple more pix both taken from down in Le Lac itself as I forgot to take any while on the slopes today (skiing was too much fun! Very Happy ).

The first shows the foot of Trolles (centre background) and Aeroski lift is to the right:

the second is looking across at the middle of Tignes Le lac. Hotel Campanules is in the centre of the pic! definitely worth considering if you are planning a visit as the food, location and facilities are excellent.

TTFN snowHead
snow report
AxsMan, its looking lovely there....im jealous !!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
only 5 weeks to go. Thanks again for the photographs.
snow conditions
Saturday - After yesterday's wind the off piste was much better than I expected. We did several nice pitches in wind blown snow near the Aigle Percee (spelling?) chair. Then on the way back to La Dialle the Familial was great. My skiing was not so good today, so went onto the Verte for some practice exercises this afternoon. High up on Bellvarde the pistes are really good and today there were very few people. But hoards of busses have arrived today and discharged their passengers.
snow report
Sunday - Father Christmas arrived in Val d'Isere today, but he has not brought any snow with him. This morning we skiied the Vallon de Sache, I think we were the first poeple there since the snows two weeks ago - I did not see any other tracks. The entrance was very rocky and we had to side step down the first 30m or so. After that we had some lovely soft snow. I met a big rock that was hiding under the snow. It tipped me over and a ski came off. Apart from that it was a beautifil ski trip. Lower down we joined the sache piste just below the tree line, a few turns lower the piste was almost bare of snow. The road-pistes (forget their names) down to Les Boisses looked good and had several skiers.

Be careful on piste. Some of the snow cannons are making horrible snow. Our guide was caught out near the bottom section of the Boulin Fresse chair. Skiing on rock hard piste was OK but then he met some artificial snow where his skis just stopped sliding. Such snow should have been marked with danger signs. Saw another skier have trouble on exactly the same section of snow.
ski holidays
how's the off piste in Tignes at the moment as its not forecast to snow for ages? Was wondering as i'm going for 2 weeks rom the 28th of Dec, in Val Claret, and love the fresh pow pow!
snow report
i wouldnt expect any powder buy then, but if it comes then be pleased. Looking at the pickies and reading here and there some good skiing can be had high up.

Apparently they are saving all the powder for when I go there on 4th Feb Cool Cool Cool
latest report
Christmas Day - No new snow. I'm losing my confidence in Father Christmas. Used the new Pyramides lift for the first time, then skinned up to the top of the Signal drag. Very poor snow cover around this drag and its closed pistes. Crossed over the ridge and down Gd Vallon. Had been hoping for lots of wind blown snow, but was disappointed. This days skiing was more of a mountain experience than fine off piste. Later in the day had too many social responsibilities to write these notes.

Tuesday - Lots more people around than previously. Tignes Funicular was crowded but there was no queue. Gd Motte cable car did have a queue. Skiied the off piste to skiers right of Genepy then skinned up for 20minutes towards the Borsat. Enough to get a few more turns in reasonably soft snow. Not easy skiing however. Returned to Val d'Isere via Tufs chair. Creux piste was unpleasant, too many out of control poeple and too much hard pack and ice. The off piste is much safer. We left the piste and did a Familial and there found the best snow of the day. Had up to 25cm depth of soft easy to ski snow, almost powder. But, sadly, only for a few turns.

Given the snow conditions the piste maintenence people are doing a wonderful job and lots of people are skiing them. But many are really hard packed and icy. I can ski them but I do not enjoy it.

rancid, read my notes of today and earlier. I have no idea what "fresh pow pow is", but there has been no significant snow fall for nearly two weeks. For powder skiing the reports I have heard say go to America. However, if you want interesting and challending off piste then Tignes and Val d'Isere still have lots to offer.
snow report
Wednesday - Fornet area today. Gentle skin from the top of the T-Bar to what looks like the high-southern end of the glacier. Then had a whole mix of snow types down across Pay Desert. Some good soft snow, some very supportive, some breakable crusty stuff. Not at all keen on this last type! Perhaps the best snow was at the top of the glacier and at the bottom by the start of the Pays Desert lift. Then we had to skin out as the Pays Desert lift was not running.

Skied down piste M from Solaise, horrible. A couple of rocks showing in the top section. Then from the tree line down it was just rock hard icy snow with almost no loose soft stuff. Perhaps it would have been OK with sharp edges but mine have been blunted by all sorts of off piste rocks. Would not have liked to be a novice skier on that piste. Up L'Olympic and down to La Dialle, these pistes were better than those From Solaise but not as good as yesterday and before.
snow report
AxsMan, great photos ... and it looks deserted!! Nice wink
snow conditions
Kersh, Thanks Smile Back home now, but looking forward to Jan 11th (Pila - lads trip Cool ) and just booked for Feb 11th (Meribel, family trip which is now 8 of us!), barely have time to wax and edge the skis Laughing

Tignes was great, the snow was thin but skiable, and the pisteurs did a good job with the cannons. Great to meet Stewart and the guys (and the gals!) in the Alpaka. defintely the best bar in town Very Happy

Fingers crossed for January snow snowHead
ski holidays
Thursday - Some of the snow that was badly wind crusted a few days ago is transforming into nice snow. We skiied from Gd Motte between Leissse and Genepy pistes today and then skinned up a little until nearly in a straight line from the Leisse chairlift's path. Had some lovely soft snow there and down to the Genepy piste. Returned via the Familial where there is still some soft snow in unskied places.

Old ski tracks off piste are now a hazard. Hitting them is almost as bad as hitting a rock. On the side the old tracks are mostly visible and so can be avoided or at least taken in account.
snow report
Friday and the last skiing day of my holiday - Some of the wind crust has softened nicely and we had some lovely snow for my last morning of skiing in this trip to Val d'Isere. Did the long traverse from the Borsat Express and then skinned up for 30 mins or so. Got some great pitches on the way down past the Cabin de Gardes (spelling?). Out via the Manchet valley where the chair up to Soliase was not running. So did the path along the valley floor.

Generally the pistes are still good given that no snow has fallen for two weeks, but they are now busy and icy or very hard packed. Not for novice skiers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy