Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a fab day in Les Gets - this morning there were parts with champagne powder and this afternoon hard packed pistes - what more could a girl want!

GET OUT HERE NOW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowandtrek, a girl could want nothing more! SOOOOOOOO envious, only five and a bit weeks til we come, been watching the webcam all day rolling eyes Just racking my poor little brain to choose a restaurant for New Years eve as we have family coming with us this time.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just a quick report back from my day's skiing over at Champery. BRILLIANT!!!!! Clear blue skies, lots of lovely powder, hardly anyone about, and rosti for lunch. Does it get any better?

Also according to the ski club website, once again we have got a pretty good start here compared to some of the big gun areas in France:

Tignes (30/40cm)
Val Thorens (30/70cm)
Alpe d’Huez (30/45cm)

Whereas Chatel has 40/85cm!

Happy days....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bit of a contrast from the past couple of years: Champéry at the end of January has struggled. Good work on PhotoTim's part for going to Fernie for the season then snowHead

Will be watching what happens in the PdS with interest...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, looks like PdS might be getting a bit of rain this week, so let's keep an eye on the snow-line. If we can make it through to thursday/friday, i think we'll be in the clear. Fingers crossed. If the worst comes to the worst, we had snow yesterday in London, so i'll just bring some of that over in me hand-luggage. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ice_pie, any information on the snow/rain line level. We are hoping to get out either 1st or 8th December for a long weekend. Please keep us informed!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Amongst my "chores" on Saturday I managed to get in a couple of hours on the snow. Frankly. Blooming marvelous.

I didn't get out until 14:00, so missed any powder (ok, so I wasn't prepared to hike...), but the runs were holding up well - loose snow over a firm base above around 1500m and firm, icy piste below 1500m. It was pretty crowded - and a tad scary at times (and that was just my skiing!) - but still "pas mal" as the rather hard-to-please French bloke I spoke to on the second chairlift emoted. "Just don't tell your English friends..." he added. So. Our secret... wink

Avoriaz is going to be superb when it opens I reckon.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, Do you know when Avoriaz will be open during the week? Is it just that it is open weekends at the moment?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roy Hockley wrote:
PhillipStanton, Do you know when Avoriaz will be open during the week? Is it just that it is open weekends at the moment?

No idea, sorry. I'm back in (rainy) London. One of the locals will hopefully be able to answer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roy Hockley, This weekend and then non-stop - is what I've heard. As soon as I have it in writing I will post!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hiya guys...... Don't we need to make this topic STICKY? PhillipStanton, can you help?! Cheers, the last thing we want is to lose all this valuable information wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wheres all the snow gone Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ok I guess it's not even December yet, but Mont Chery was looking so nice and white before. . . . Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't panic - temp and snowline due to drop over the weekend. Plenty of time yet!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davejsy, it was nice and white and I can confirm the snow was very tasty.
snow report
Hey, Snowmonkey! Good to see you back here. How's the nipper?

zzz - stop tauntin wink

Leedslips - as if I've got any, well, anything...

...as long as we post, the topic stays alive...
ski holidays
PhillipStanton wrote:

...as long as we post, the topic stays alive...

This thread is the 7th most viewed topic on Snowheads.

snowHead
ski holidays
zzz, did you make the airport on time?
latest report
PhillipStanton, sorry, can't help myself.

David Murdoch, I did thanks, despite your short(?) cut Very Happy

What a difference a week makes. Last week skiing powder under sunny skies in Les Gets. This week skiing a combination of ice and porridge in a white out in Avoriaz. Still, I won't complain. The pistes were surprisingly ok in Avoriaz, a little firm on the Arare and Haut Forts area but quite soft on the junior downhill in Linderets. These are the only two pistes open at the mo. Pretty good cover for the time of year. The off piste, unskiable.

a bientot
latest report
I looked at the web cams earlier zzz and the conditions looked pretty miserable. So I'm not quite as jealous as I otherwise might be...

...I remain, of course, jealous wink
snow conditions
PhillipStanton wrote:
I looked at the web cams earlier zzz and the conditions looked pretty miserable. So I'm not quite as jealous as I otherwise might be...

...I remain, of course, jealous wink

But not quite as jealous as me
latest report
Quote:

davejsy, it was nice and white and I can confirm the snow was very tasty. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
The webcam looks nice up at Avoriaz. The webcam looking across the Arare is actually on our building so am looking at view we get in morning. We may be there next weekend snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
zzz, PhillipStanton, Sorry guys but had a cracking morning in the sunshine - hard packed empty pistes..........see you out there next Sunday maybe as I am back to blighty to visti the parents this week. Mr Snow and Trek will be looking for some ski mates this week!
snow report
snowandtrek - inside I'm crying Sad

Not out again until ski test weekend - although I'm in Tignes next weekend on the Atomic boot camp thingamejig...
snow report
PhillipStanton wrote:
snowandtrek - inside I'm crying Sad

Not out again until ski test weekend - although I'm in Tignes next weekend on the Atomic boot camp thingamejig...

What a hard life you guys have!!

Think of the "normal people" stuck behind some desk with just a vague memory of what snow actually looks like!!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
waterskibabe wrote:
What a hard life you guys have!!

Think of the "normal people" stuck behind some desk...

waterskibabe - I am a "normal people" though * - I work in London; I do my hour on the tube each way every day like a trooper; I'm stuck behind a desk most of the day and I spend far too much money in Pret.

I just happen to be absolutely ruthless about how I book my leave and booking flights early to make it affordable.

snowandtrek is normal too. Well, nearly. I'm a bit suspicious about zzz though.

* E&OE
latest report
PhillipStanton, yeah, and have you seen his ski boots? Very fishy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
PhillipStanton, yeah, and have you seen his ski boots? Very fishy.

He wears ski boots? I've only ever seen him ski in high heels... Shocked
snow report
David Murdoch, PhillipStanton, sorry chaps, havn't the time to rise to the bait, too busy skiing. Toofy Grin. Finding it a bit difficult though in these stilletos!
latest report
zzz, hmmm, tru randonee boots. Not nearly so hard work on your ankles. Anyway, aren't your feet considerably bigger than your wife's? She'll be far from delighted to find her fave high heels stretched out of all proportion by your size 9s.
latest report
David Murdoch, Very Happy
ski holidays
Cross link to the wiki thread - just in case anyone misses it...
snow conditions
Just back from a couple of hours charging around empty pistes in Avoriaz. The only bits open are the Arare and Bleu du lac area where the base is holding up well although rather hard at the mo, and the blue(sorry don't know the name) in Linderets. The snow on this piste is a little softer due, I think, to it's slightly lower height and sunnier aspect. It looked as if they have pisted the Chavanette area as well so this may open soon. If anyone's looking for a cheeky weekend skiing then they could do worse than come here; actually with second thoughts, it's crap go somewhere else. wink
Rather worryingly though, it seems Avoriaz have finished snowmaking for the mo because their resevoir is dry!
latest report
zzz wrote:
Rather worryingly though, it seems Avoriaz have finished snowmaking for the mo because their resevoir is dry!

If this is true, it's more than "Rather worrying", surely?

I don't know the details of Avoriaz's water storage, but it must amount to several (hundred?) thousand litres. I assume the reservoirs fill with snow melt & summer rain- so is last season + a dry summer and autumn to blame?
latest report
Hmmm... Didn't seem like a dry summer to me! From where i was sheltered in Les Rhodos it seemed like it pissed it down pretty much every day! So i wouldn't have thought that was the reason. zzz, Is the "dry reservoir hypothesis" gospel or gossip? Will be seeing you all in... 50.5 hours!
ski holidays
ice_pie, It did p i s s down until August and since then we've had very little rain. The Dranse has been a gentle stream for the last couple of months and the large resevoir in Avoriaz is so dry it has a digger parked in the middle of it!! I heard the story from a mate of mine who is an ESF instructor in Avoriaz so fairly sound I think. Anyway I hope it won't matter as we've some more snow on the way.
ski holidays
zzz, snow? in Morzine? Isn't Morzine too low for snow...?
ski holidays
Quote:

ok I guess it's not even December yet, but Mont Chery was looking so nice and white before. . . .

thats a much better view on the webcam today! Very Happy

http://www.trinum.com/ibox/lesgets/Images/patinoire_MEGA.jpg
ski holidays
Talking of Webcams is it not time Morzine got some decent webcams? Phil you're King of Morzine can you pass a decree?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy