Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Just an update for anyone interested in the Austrian resort openings.

Two additional ski resorts open this weekend, Obergurgl-Hochgurgl and Obertauern.
Only the upper parts of both resorts are open. Ticket prices reduced until the end of November.

Reiteralm, which opened last week, continue its week-end only operation on this week-end.
Hauser Kaibling (near Schladming) delayed the opening date until December 1.

Obertauern seems to be the best choice among the non-glacial resorts, but it offers more lifts and pistes in operation than some glaciers in Austria.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-11-06 16:14; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thanks kerekip, and it is good to redress the balance from all French info
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree... Very Happy
Mainly 'cos I'll be at Lech Dec 2nd and praying for snowfalls...pls!!!!!!!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 19-11-06 1:09; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obertauern this morning with six chairlifts in operation:

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 14-08-07 21:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's the forecast for coming days...if temperatures drop down enough to have rain becoming snow, the model will look really fantastic!!!

Let's pray!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
whats the best budget airline serviced airport to fly to for austrian resorts?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
frostie1861, check out this website for resorts near to airports. http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/index.html Innsbruck and Salzburg both access lots of resorts. Friedrichshafen (and to a lesser extent Zurich) are also OK for the western Austrian resorts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
frostie1861 wrote:
whats the best budget airline serviced airport to fly to for austrian resorts?

www.skyscanner.net will give you all the answers you need to that question (the answer will probably be Salzburg, Munich and Zurich, though).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obertauern, Kaprun = Salzburg
Hintertux, Obergurgl = Innsbruck

Graz and Linz sometimes have very cheap deals. Graz can be used as an alternative airport for Schladming. Linz is ca 1.5 hr east of Salzburg.

An international routeplanner will give you a good idea of locations and travel times ...
http://www.rac.co.uk/web/routeplanner/?advanced=true&fromcity=&tocity=
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cheers folks. just getting the first stirings of an idea about a sneaky early season trip as theres snow in austria!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
frostie1861 wrote:
cheers folks. just getting the first stirings of an idea about a sneaky early season trip as theres snow in austria!

Check out thomsonfly (we are going sat am to tues pm in Jan currently 46p return plus tax !!!!!!!!!!! from manchester)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here in Austria Sept, Oct & Nov have been the warmest on record. This weekend is due to be warm (freezing level well above 3000m) and there doesn't look to be much precipitation. The good news is that the weather is forecast to get colder from first weekend Dec. Probably best to give this weekend a miss and (weather depending) book for a Dec weekend.

wrongsideof30,
Thanks for the nods up, some of those flights look really cheap and some of my family are in Manchester.
http://www.thomsonfly.com/en/index.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yeah - thanks for the flights info

thought austria was getting the early european snow?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
frostie1861 wrote:

thought austria was getting the early european snow?

We are being teased. First lower temps then snowfall followed by warmer temps. The ground al lower levels hasn't had a chance to cool down properly. As an example Obertauern had nearly 1m of snow a couple of weeks back, in a matter of days it was nearer half that. It appears that both France and Austria are suffering from these snow/melt cycles. If we fully click into winter temps early Dec and the snow falls then Dec weekends can be great value with very few people around.

Just seen that Thomson fly also do Manchester to Klagenfurt direct.

PS Heiligenblut has a skitest weekend 08-12 Dec.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Schladming (Planai) today.

Due the weather, the opening is delayed until December 2.
As it is seen, snow guns were used on the upper slopes.
latest report
mmm doesnt look like the white winter wonder land i was hoping for!
latest report
frostie1861, how about this one?
Obertauern this morning:

snow conditions
kerekip, now thats what im talking about ! Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Morning guys, I joined snowheads the other day and was talking about Planai (Austria). It's my first time skiing and I see on all the web cams there isn't much sno at all.
Does anyone know what past years conditions have been like from about Jan 3 onwards in this region please?
ski holidays
slippy, welcome to the world of skiing Toofy Grin

I've been to Westendorf, near Schadalming 3 or 4 times around 4th January and snow has always turned up 'just in time', although this year there was loads of snow in Austria for the start of the year. Waiting for the snow to come is the perennial woe of the snowHead. snowHead

kerekip, Hochgurgl / Obergurgl is looking okay too...
latest report
So I'm finding!
Fingers crossed it will be ok, I can't see my first skiing experience being to great without any snow Ha ha ha
snow report
Hi all, I've also joined recently. I´ll be 1st week of Dec. in Innsbruck looking for snow. I thought it would be a safe bet as it is close to several glaciers, but I am not sure anymore after reading some posts and checking some webs. Any suggestions? Thanks
snow conditions
ataghit, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Must admit I was looking at Hochgurgl/Obergurgl yesterday and dreaming... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20865 there are webcams at www.obergurgl.com and it doesn't look bad at all. Solden is down the valley too - which is a glacier.

slippy, you don't need a great deal of snow to learn on - if there isn't much snow in the village when you arrive then head up the mountain on the gondola - there's bound to be some up top.
snow report
Hoppo wrote:

I've been to Westendorf, near Schadalming 3 or 4 times around 4th January and snow has always turned up 'just in time', although this year there was loads of snow in Austria for the start of the year. Waiting for the snow to come is the perennial woe of the snowHead. snowHead

Hoppo Being pedantic, I wouldn't have said that Westendorf is all that near Schladming - RAC Routeplanner gives the most direct route as 90 miles Toofy Grin
Pedantry aside, as regards snow prospects for Austria, it's true to say that in recent years it has done pretty well for early season snow Very Happy
snow report
Schladming
November - April weekly averages

Nov December January February March April
Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Upper
slopes (cm) 14 41 52 76 80 85 89 95 102 118 119 121 132 134 130 129 133 123 102 64
Lower
slopes (cm) 5 10 14 29 30 36 37 42 41 44 35 39 42 37 34 29 27 20 15 7

Last 13 years
latest report
Hoppo, thanks for the pointer. Obergurl is on the list. And the same goes for Hintertux, Kaunertal, and maybe Solden. I wish there were some more snow on the way but it just doesn't look like it. To make it worst, I keep on getting powder alerts from Whistler and Snowbird... looks like they are on the right track.
latest report
Unfortunately, no changes in Austria. Only the glaciers are open + 3 resorts (Obertauern, Hochgurgl and Reiteralm) with limited operation which means only the upper slopes are open. Temperatures are still too high, Flachau 12C or Saalbach 15C in the afternoon. This is too mild for the snowguns. Freezing point is somewhere between 3600-3800m.
All the resorts delayed the openings and hope to open on the weekend of Dec 2-3, but it is still uncertain. The first half of this week looks terrible, but colder weather and some snow expected for the weekend.

My friends visited Obertauern at the weekend. It is almost empty on weekdays, but it was crowded at the weekend, since there is no other place to ski in the neighbourhood. Pistes are in good condition, especially considering the above zero temperature.
Some recent pics from Obertauern:

Piste close to Gamsleiten 1 lift

View from the top of the Panoramabahn lift

Obertauern street

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 27-11-06 22:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
The Austrian Weather Service reported that on Saturday it was 22,7C in Feldkirch in Vorarlberg (!!!), and 22,2C in Dornbirn also in Voralberg. They have never measured such a high temperature at the end of November. It was 20,5C in Bregenzerwald (Tirol), and just a little bit 'cooler' in other parts of the country.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for your comments guys. I spoke to a guy in Schadalming today and he seems to think they are expecting a big dump by 6-7 Dec..

However I can't see that he'd know more then the experts!
snow conditions
slippy, does he work for the tourist board snowHead
snow conditions
Peter Ross, No his a friend of the family. however he does own a guest house, so it might just be wishful thinking!! Very Happy
snow report
slippy, if everyone focuses there energy on abundance of snow it will come! I'm off to St Anton on the 28th of Dec and there'll be lots of snow by then, no doubt snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Last weekend picture from Dachstein glacier

The view of Schlamding pistes (Hochwurzen and Planai) from the glacier

These pictures are taken from the Slovenian ski site, www.smucisca.net.
snow report
DB, what are your thoughts on Zell Am See for mid December? Will we be reliant upon Kaprun do you think?

If we are - is Kaprun as crowded with surrounding resorts frustrated skiers at that time of year, as per descriptions people have suggested for other times of the season?

I havent been watching any data or forecasts so please excuse my crystal ball questions. Little Angel
snow report
Peter Leuzzi,

It's looking too warm at the moment, the ground needs to cool before any snow (natural or artificial) can settle. It was forecast to get cold this weekend but that was reversed yesterday Crying or Very sad

Having said that anything can happen and the situation can change overnight.

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/AUXX0054_c.html?force_units=1

If the current trend continues you will probably be skiing Kitzsteinhorn but it could be worse, you could of booked somewhere without a glacier round the corner.

I normally ski Kaprun in Oct and Nov at which time there are very few people about. Ski resorts don't normally get up to speed until Xmas so although it will be busier I very much doubt there will be huge crowds. People who have booked flights (e.g. Brits) will still come but many of the Germans / Dutch etc are likely to delay until later in the season.

St Anton was supposed to broadcasting a 4 hour live program on a main German channel - this has had to be cancelled, many openings have been delayed so tourist numbers for December will be down.

Having said that if the weather does change you are likely to skiing fresh crowd free snow snowHead
snow report
DB

but many of the Germans / Dutch etc are likely to delay until later in the season.

This is true. however,there are a hardcore group of regualrs at Xmas & New Year who go to Austria whatever rain,sun snow just to keep there regular Hotel slots. Ther are some who even pay for the rooms and dont even show up Very Happy
snow report
stanton,

Agree, but we are talking about Mid December not Xmas Razz
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
DB

There are some who even pay for the rooms and don't even show up Very Happy

Who are they, I'll take their room! snowHead
snow conditions
DB, stanton, thanks for that.

We are arriving there and skiing Friday 15th to the Sunday 17th. So is it fair to say that "early" before Xmas should be relatively crowd free on the glacier?

Of course if the Snow Gods would just do their business on us we'd be fine Smile
latest report
Updated openings for this weekend in Austria

It would be a long list to name the resorts who delayed their planned openings, so I am trying to focus on those few resorts that announced their opening this weekend.

- Tauplitz opens on Saturday at 8:45, only a few pistes and lifts in operation, special ticket pice is 23 euros on that day

- Flachau opens the upper parts, two lifts in operation and the Achter-Jet takes the skiers up to the hill

- Hauser Kaibling (Schladming) claims that they open 3 pistes on the weekend

- Ischgl opens on Friday, limited operation

I do not think I can add many other resorts to this list, I just hope that resorts mentioned will have enough snow to open.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy