Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes winter 2006-2007

Poster: A snowHead
Colin B wrote:
..... achilles did lead me astray in the bars at night though Toofy Grin ...

Pot and kettle come to mind Madeye-Smiley

Amen about the great company, though.

Here's a pic, taken below the Diable restaurant, which rather sums up the conditions, though. Delightful off-piste - yet here there was no one around but us.

Mr Aztec, Aztec, and Colin B feature.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brassic today and I'm told it was really nasty higher up. this was what it looked like on the Cretes this afternoon. Started to snow a bit, and hoping to wake up to white tomorrow morning.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
Brassic today and I'm told it was really nasty higher up. this was what it looked like on the Cretes this afternoon. Started to snow a bit, and hoping to wake up to white tomorrow morning.

Don't count on stopping at la Toura on your rounds tomorrow...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, Your cryptic comment will have passed by all those not local! The Toura restaurant at 2,600m (the big wooden chalet one) burnt to the ground on Sunday night. All those coming in Feb bring picnics!

snowing this morning, has snowed a bit in the night (in the village), and hoping for more. Local weather says very bad tomorrow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:
Local weather says very bad tomorrow.

By 'bad', do you mean loadsa snow (which is only really bad if you're trying to work rolling eyes ) or high winds & heavy rain (which is just plain bad)? Or perhaps you meant 'bad' as in 'good'...?? Wickid Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
.............The Toura restaurant at 2,600m (the big wooden chalet one) burnt to the ground on Sunday night....

Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, eugh. the pizza oven must have started it - achilles & I had lunch there one day and were very impressed by the quality.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lampbus wrote:
eugh. the pizza oven must have started it

The Chalet du Lac Besson over in Alpe d'Huez caught fire last year, in that case it was duck fat building up in the ceiling space from cooking magret de canard which apparently flashed over burning the roof off. They were lucky to save the structure of the chalet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't have any news about what caused the fire to the Toura, but I can tell you that it was still smouldering this morning and you could deffo smell the fire at the panoramic (which being much less attractive and made of concrete or some such is relatively safe). Shocked

It snowed until about 15.30 or so today, very heavily and with only a bit of wind. After that (I was lucky to be skiing with the Aztecs) we found a goodly bit of powder on the Petit Diable, the top (red) part of the Thuit and then in the hidden valley. Very Happy Very Happy About 30 cms fell during the day. Very Happy Very Happy

Red Leon, the local weather forecast says "très mauvais temps". We are expecting snow, very high winds and a thoroughly unpleasant day. It may be the same on Thursday. If that's the case it will be possible to ski the whole face and Pied Moutet + the lower runs. It's supposed to be "glaciale" temps as opposed to merely wintery today. (I wore 7 layers and then 2 extreme gore-tex jackets .... I was OK. Boot heaters on 2 all day.
I didn't take the camera out, but here are 2 pix from the balcony:
8am
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
....It snowed until about 15.30 or so today, very heavily and with only a bit of wind. After that (I was lucky to be skiing with the Aztecs) we found a goodly bit of powder on the Petit Diable, the top (red) part of the Thuit and then in the hidden valley. Very Happy Very Happy About 30 cms fell during the day. Very Happy Very Happy ........

Glad the resort is getting a good snow top-up. And please let the Aztecs know I am only a tad envious - I still had a good time whilst I was there. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
7 LAYERS!!!!!! Now I'm getting scared . . .
snow report
 brian
brian
Leis, Friday morning should see the coldest temps of this cold spell, should get down to around -15 at 1500m, -30 or lower on the high peaks ! But at least by that time the wind should've dropped away so it probably won't feel as cold as today.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its appears for the 5th year running I have been extremely fortunate. Wherever I go the snow follows, lol Very Happy

Looks like by Sat 27th Jan Les Deux Alpes will be cracking conditions.
Is anyone else out in LDA for a week between 27th jan and the 3rd feb?

I will be the guy with an all white Atomic Triarc Snowboard attached to my feet wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CrashAce, arriving 28th til 2nd, grey Flow here !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian wrote:
Leis, Friday morning should see the coldest temps of this cold spell, should get down to around -15 at 1500m, -30 or lower on the high peaks ! But at least by that time the wind should've dropped away so it probably won't feel as cold as today.

Blimey!!! hope it isnt that cold in march!!!! cant wait now, only 52 days to go lol snowHead Very Happy Skullie
ski holidays
Woke up this morning to find more of the white stuff
Later when I went to work I found it bl**dy freezing at 2,600 but the promised bad weather wasn't here! Pix of toura area
and 2 pix of the ruined toura restaurant
Also a nice one from the gours looking back up . As you can see there is plenty of snow. There are a lot of tracks down the face, but the main off piste area was the Fee, which was getting rapidly tracked out. I took someone down the first 2 legs of the Chemin and then the bottom of Valentin, which was not very good.

All the cannons were working this morning, and that was a very cheering sight. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Sad news about the Toura - I liked it in there. Hope the staff aren't going to find themselves out of pocket. Wonder if a new one will go up in its place?
latest report
paulmck, I'm sure it will, but not in time for this season I don't suppose. It's still smouldering, but the photo doesn't show the smoke. rumour has it that it was started by someone putting items of clothing on radiators! don't know how true that is. I will try to find out although Davidof probably already knows. Very Happy

ps: is your apartment available 4-11 Feb? One of our co-proprietaires is looking.
ski holidays
are the bottom runs into the resort open yet? if not how likely is it they will be open by the 27th Laughing snowHead Very Happy Little Angel
ski holidays
steve1985ski, Which runs do you mean? I put in my report yesterday that I had skied the first two legs of the Chemin and the bottom of the Valentin .... I think I also menitoned that a fair few peeps had skied the face but I didn't like the look of it. I will risk my skis today for the sake of snowheads - can't do more than that can I?

Sorry to be caustic, but it's all there already! Check the LDA map on the website to compare to the reports. Still snowing this morning
snow report
Thanks for doing these reports Charlotte. Your daily posts are making me very very excited about upcoming trip. I'm not sure what runs you are talking about having never been there but have my map out and am trying to familarise myself prior to getting there. oooh far tooooo excited!!!
latest report
 brian
brian
Leis, get yourself Google Earth, I've just been having a wee fly around L2A, it gives you a much better idea of how the mountain's laid out:

snow conditions
 brian
brian
easiski, looking seriously good Very Happy
ski holidays
Leis, Thanks for the thanks. Today we skied Petit Cretes, Bellecombe and the blue part of the Combe du Thuit. All were in very good condition, although you can still hear that it's hard underneath, particularly at the bottom of the Thuit which goes down to about 1920m. No ice or hardpack though. It's a super day, and I was very tempted to go up after my lesson and ski at least one wall of the Fée, but being in the middle of a 4 week stint without any days off, rest is more important.

However I did ski the Grande Pente for the first time this year and it wasn't too bad. (It's on the google earth pic where there's a lighter square on the face near the village). It's not a marked run, is always off piste and the powder was very light at about 2.30. fortunately it's mostly grass underneath, as you can see from the photos, the tracks go through. We really need another dump quite soon to let this layer become a base. It's been skied before (we've had 3 big dumps before this one), but the warm temps have melted each layer.
Looking down it Looking up from half way, showing the grass looking down to the village from the bottom of the Pente itself and looking back up at it from the very bottom Very Happy Very Happy It doesn't look half as steep in this pic as it actually is.
I didn't do any serious damage to my skis, several new scratches, but no real gouges. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Looking really good out there now! gonna pack tomorrow! i can't wait.... snowHead
latest report
mark_20vt, It was always looking good - only the last bit was a problem ever, all season! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow on the web cams looks great, arriving on Sunday so all is looking good, any other snowHead around?
snow conditions
me and steve1985ski, are flying out tomorrow
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mark_20vt wrote:
me and steve1985ski, are flying out tomorrow

I can do envy.
snow conditions
Seems there will be a few snowheads taking over LDA this coming week, including me snowHead

Not long to go now leave tomorrow at 1pm Very Happy
snow report
easiski, have sent you an email regarding the flat.
snow report
looks like mark_20vt, steve1985ski[b], [b]CrashAce so far. I am out there with another boarder. Keep the snow fresh !
ski holidays
Well another lovely but very cold day today - boot heaters on 2 for the whole time, but toes still frozen when I got home! Shocked Up to glacier, down Breche, Gours and then onto petit Cretes, Combe du Thuit - fabulous snow everywhere. Not much untracked left, and I though (purely as a duty to Snowheads) that I'd try the Belle Etoile on the way down - it appeared to be quite well packed ...... BAD IDEA. Lots of rocks, lots of frozen grass, not much snow. However the cannons were busting a gut on the Valentin at 14.30, so that was very nice to see. At the moment Valentin is not in good nick though - icy later, still narrow etc. etc. Chemin des Demoiselles is closed again today. It was open for 2-3 days, but just not enough base, especially when you consider it is an actual road in summer with lorries going up and down it. Sorry, no pix today:(

rayscoops, et al - why not arrange to all meet up? I could organise time and place if you wanted to.
snow report
easiski, sounds good to me. Are all the runs open? because when i was there 14th - 19th Dec only certain runs were open and I was not keen on that silly narrow flat green that links down to Cretes area, being a boarder that is.
ski holidays
rayscoops, I believe all the runs on the Jandri side are now open (including Gours Bis), but there is now an alternative to the flat path - you can go down into the Thuit either by the blue Combe du Thuit itself or by the very sttep(for a red) Deversoir. Very Happy

I would suggest an apres ski meet around Weds or Thurs, and if you all ring me or PM where you're staying I can find a suitable bar for all. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
9 hours till i leave and i can't sleep... snowHead
ski holidays
It was a bit warmer today, but very windy high up, so although a quiet day for skiers, they were all packed on the Toura area and below. Wind at the glacier was 80 kph! Shocked Sadly this has meant that a few hard patched have appeared around the place - not wall to wall, but the odd bit of hardpack. forecast suggests heavy snow next Weds, so let's keep our fingers crossed. Good snow on toura, Lac Noir and Grand Creux though. BoarderCross was OK too.

I nearly forgot to take a photo, but remembered at the bottom of the Valentin so here it is looking back up. Deffo better than it's been all season, the cannons have been working as much as poss, and as long as it stays cold it should be back to normal before too long. there are still some icy patches on the right as you look up, and it's still not it's full normal width either. Rough bit to the right of the photo is the Belle Etoile that I skied yesterday - not making that mistake again! Back to the Fischers tomorrow I think ...
ski holidays
easiski, bring on the Fischers ! snowHead snowHead
latest report
easiski, 80 kph winds on the glacier - Just like November. Thanks again for the report
snow report
great stuff, soon to be there Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy