Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes winter 2006-2007

Poster: A snowHead
Redcc, there's this large office called the Tourist Office in the main square .... it had brochures from all peeps who have businesses here ... (including me) wink wink wink

snowing today, all the time at the Cretes and snow/rain alternating in the village - more snow than rain though - not pouring. Not cold, bit windy, 2 cms fresh onthe piste early - nice!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy didn't bother with camera though as it was too murky. Let's hope that the forecast rise in temps mid-week is not true.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lol, never thought of that. found the paper on which i wrote down your number; in a box with a bar of soap NehNeh I might be in L2A within a few weeks, so there might be a second chance Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Redcc, All snowheads more than welcome - I'm always up for a coffee just to say hi! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're having lessons with easiski I shouldn't worry about the snow conditions as she'll teach you anywhere:

or

(Excuse the dodgy photo quality, still trying to sort out the pics from the new mobile) Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blizt wrote:
If you're having lessons with easiski I shouldn't worry about the snow conditions as she'll teach you anywhere........

I'm counting on it Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey all, finally got round to registering!!! me and three friends are travelling out to L2A in mid march. cant wait!! what are the conditions usually like around that time of year??

My first post so a big hey to everyone!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aaronski, Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy
I think Mid March is the best time of the year to ski Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey, Thankyou for a big confidence boost!! Very Happy
We were getting slightly worried with general lack of snow anywhere.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aaronski, Les Deux Alpes seems to be the least affected by the snow shortage, you have chosen well.

Welcome to SnowHeads btw snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The general opinion appear to be that Valentin is dangerous. If there is reasonable snow cover what is the easiest/safest run into the village apart from the awful green that traverses across.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aaronski, Welcome! You should be fine in mid-March. We're OK now except that it's too hot! the thing about LDA is that the majority of our skiing is above 2,000m so we are less affected by a low snow problem. TBH it's not a shortage of precipitation this year, but warm temps so the low snow is falling as rain - bah! It's also been too warm off an on the use the snow cannons, so we're more natural than most years! rolling eyes

It snowed last night - but rained at some point up to about 2,400m. Apparently it was really nice at Toura and above with very light powder first thing. I didn't get to try it myself! Sad However, int he early afternoon I took Simon mj66 and his mob down the top of Thuit in new snow and here's the photo:

it was pretty good as it's much steeper than it looks in the photo, 4 out of 5 had never skied in deep (well boot deep) snow before, and the same 4 had never skied on such a steep run! One of the boys is on his first skiing holiday, having only done placcy and indoors before.

Anyway it was much too hot this afternoon, and the low snow is positively running off the mountain Sad Sad . the Chemin des Demoiselles is likely to be closed tomorrow, or maybe the day after if they manage a miraculous repair job ... Cretes etc. of course is fine, and the blue part of the Combe du Thuit had a masive amount more cover that last week. Very Happy

we'll see - so long as the thaw doesn't last too long we'll be OK - not so sure about the low resorts though. Remember - it's not the height of the village, but the height and orientation of the skiing that makes the diff.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski,
Its blowing gales here so if that stays on course and on its way over it might get rid of the high temps..hope so.

Where are these high temps coming from anyway..? None round here..!!
snow conditions
 John Heaton
John Heaton
JT,

These links give an interesting overview. Can't vouch for their accuracy.

http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/terra3d/video/dailystream.mpg

http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/terra3d/video/skycover.mpg

Regards,

John
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, don't know where they're coming from - no wind! Warm this morning - +5 in town. Sad Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, so given that a lot of the good stuff at La Grave is above 1800/2000m and it's all north facing, it should be shaping up OK?
snow conditions
John Heaton,

Welcome to snowHead

Looks quite useful ... a 3 day forecast. I'd like to see those patterns further out in the Atlantic.
ski holidays
Managed to book a last minute deal to LDA going this saturday (13th Jan) - Anyone else going to be around then? What are the conditions like?
ski holidays
In ADH at the moment. Snow slushy at 1800 and above gets better at 2300.
considering the helicopter ride to L2A do you think it's worth it?
Sorry if more than once on phone
Jon
latest report
Nick-o, yes - certainly Firefly, Kramer, Colin B, Achilles, Aztec and various OHs + me!!!! for conditions I suggest you read the reports! wink wink

JonO_1001, Might as well, but it's just as warm here. I would think it's pretty booked up though for this week.

It was ridiculously warm today, but a fair bit of wind and clouds around - deffo Mistral! Sad Snow was slushy on the Cretes in the middle of the day. Valentin was nice at 11.00 and not hard at all, and the Combe du Thuit blue was in very good condition around 15.00 this afternoon. Unfortunately it's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow, and there are a lot of jokes about bikinis going around.

There's plenty of snow at higher altitudes that we can withstand another few days of serious thaw, but it's having a nasty effect low down. Of course it's too warm to run the cannons. the nursery slopes are still OK on the whole, and there's no immediate cause to panic.

Here's Jutta taking Matteo (27 mnths) for his first ski on the Viking. View of Grand Viking

and here's a satisfied group at the bottom of the blue part of the Thuit - pretty decent snow here
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 John Heaton
John Heaton
JT,

Thanks,

I've been around for a while getting to know how things work. Time to come out of my shell I think Smile

This http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_IR.html is a bit better for the past and present, but I too am looking for a good North Atlantic predictive view that shows the patterns develop across Canada / Greenland / Iceland

John
latest report
Thanks easiski, might drop in on Friday!
JonO
latest report
it was much colder last night, so the lower slopes were nasty and frozen this morning. I'm sure the upper slopes were fine though, and I skied Bellecombe around 10.30 in really nice snow and much better cover than last time I skied it - I didn't see even a hint of a rock. the same was true of the steeper blue at the Grand Nord, although it hadn't been pisted and at about 2,300m it was still pretty frozen before the sun got on it. Nursery slopes were starting to soften up at around 11.30. It's warmer now in the sun, but still quite fresh in the shade which is good, except for the hard snow. There's a chance that it may snow a little tonight - but doesn't look promising at the moment as it's wall to wall blue skies and sunshine! OTOH there were cirrus clouds around yesterday ..... sorry - I forgot to take any photos today.
Embarassed
snow report
just having a bash at this photo posting malarky, here goes one from L2A on 18th Dec 2006 which warrants an effort. Bad snow reports = empty piste !!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 11-01-07 16:48; edited 2 times in total
snow report
rayscoops, Sorry, but I can't see the picture and can't find it on the Snowmediazone. Sad

what a load of rubbish is being talked on one of the other threads! I won't post on it 'cos it doesn't deserve to be at the top of the list - cancel your ski holiday - huh! Idiot!! rolling eyes
snow report
rayscoops, almost there - you need a forward slash in the last set of brackets like so:

Code:
[img]http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/uploads/696/L2A_004.jpg[/img]
snow conditions
Or here's a guide I did earlier Very Happy http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=513099#513099
ski holidays
I just put the / in whilst the replies were coming but the picture is huge ! not sure about how to limit the pixels with [img=width,height] to make it smaller
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
top banana
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Great photo, not bad for somewhere with no snow!
latest report
rayscoops, Really nice photo - thanks for posting it. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Can't wait! We're leaving tomorrow morning from gatwick. Before we go, has anyone got any advice as to wear to go for a good drink and night out? Also.. what are you favourite runs / off piste areas?
snow report
Nick-o, I've sent you a PM Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Nick-o wrote:
Can't wait! We're leaving tomorrow morning from gatwick. Before we go, has anyone got any advice as to wear to go for a good drink and night out? Also.. what are you favourite runs / off piste areas?

I shall be in the Lutins on Sunday night buying easiski a beer, and grovelling to her for being disruptive. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
achilles, Panaché will do nicely! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
easiski, I'll be getting the odd grande pression for me - I think! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
achilles, If it's too grande you won't be able to manage your mission(s) will you??? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks to all for the updates (esp easiski), Booked a month ago and have silently been lurking in this forum for the past month

My Gf, her mate and I are off to L2A tomorrow, staying at the chalethotel la meije.

Glad we booked a high resort, this is my first trip in europe having done a season in NZ and can't wait to do some decent length runs!

For those who'll be about L2A over the next week our group will be easy to spot, I'm the quiet fella with the two loud drunken aussie lasses! Feel free to say hello!!!!

Just don't bring up the cricket..........

MuZzA aka Poolprouk snowHead
snow report
poolprouk, the Lutins is just across the road from La Meije. We'll be there on Sat evening if you want to make yourselves known. My mobile number is on my website if you want to give me a bell to find out what time we'll be there!

doesn't appear to have snowed last night, but looks very nice - I'll be going to the glacier with peeps today I think, so I'll take my camera. Temps will plunge tonight and stay colder and snow is forecast for Tuesday evening (has been for some time). Very Happy It's unlikely to be a dump though, but a nice refresher. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
It was a truly beautiful day today, warm and sunny and like a lovely spring day. I was up on the glacier all day, and hope to be tomorrow as well. The snow was perfect and it wasn't very busy at all. Later I skied down with my student to the Cretes, and the only stones we found were in the places where they always are at the end of the day regardless of the amount of snow. It wasn't very slushy either. Here's a pic of Rachas which hasn't come out very well, but shows lots of tracks and baby avalanches. this is only about 2,500m max, so you can see that there's plenty, even for dedicated off pistees:
Also a view of the glacier from the resto, looking at the big half pipe
We went off piste a bit on what I call "Moonland" just off the Jandri run - lots of fun but breakable crust for the most part, and my poor student had never been off piste before, she really enjoyed it though and finally, another beautiful sunset looking towards ADH which also appears to have a fair bit of snow!

Happy skiing! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
easiski, thanks for the update.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy