Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes winter 2006-2007

Poster: A snowHead
jonm, it's just you. Laughing

(Apart from that bit which gets you back from La Fee to the main runs.)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonm, Yes - some of our blues are quite tough. Not much flattery here once you get off the glacier.

Ray Zorro, First time down you should always have a guide to point out the alternatives - there are many possibilities, and you could easily take the wrong one. After that for Vallons de la Meije you should be OK on your own.

In the morning it was much better with not much wind on the Cretes at all, although it still looked a bit rough higher up. got as far as 2,600m and it was fine, good snow too. In the afternoon I went to La Grave with Julian Beaumont and Scarpa, and a good time was had by all. there was no wind, it was warm by comparison to the last couple of days (had to shed some clothes fairly promptly), and the snow quality was really very good. Not quite as good as last time, but we did manage to find some less tracked snow and make a few of our own tracks. We did the top twice and then skied through the woods to P1, which was just as bad as ever!!! (it's not my preferred route). We then skied back from P1 which involved a couple of short walks and a lot of rock hopping with some very interesting rock/ice/mogul bits. Very Happy Here are the two gentlemen in question near to top, and the other picture is looking back out of the ice cave part way down.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Charlotte that ice cave photo is amazing!!!! Seriously Lady, you are one talented human being. Thanks as ever for keeping us up to date and tormenting us with your photos Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, That Ice cave looks amazing !! I might be persuaded to strap the planks back on if it means getting to see that view !
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Leis, thanks. Very Happy Very Happy It's only a cheapo camera - after watching my dad fiddling with f-stops all my childhood I don't have any patience for the real thing!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, wonderful photographs and a fantastic reminder of the over 50's week - what a brilliant time and thanks Charlotte for your expert tuition and great company on the slopes Little Angel I registered the day we got back but this is my first post Embarassed I've been following your excellent reports all week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard E, Welcome to snowHead

We all follow these reports and Charlotte posts them as much as poss. It is so much better getting these sitreps by someone out there on the ground than listening to the media about no snow here and there. I been out for 3 weeks or so and this has been as good as I can remember over 2000m for ...well, as long as I can remember.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, thanks for the welcome. This was my second time skiing so I have very little to compare as yet but from everything I've been told the snow at Les 2 Alpes is generally good. We definitely intend to return next year - or earlier if possible. One week's skiing a year is simply not enough!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard E wrote:
We definitely intend to return next year - or earlier if possible. One week's skiing a year is simply not enough!!!

Spoken like a true Snowhead! Sounds like the PSB for you then Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, PSB? Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard E, pre-season bash. The last couple of years it's been held in LDA to coincide with the Mondial du Ski at the beginning of November.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch, many thanks - planning already in hand as I have some holiday in early Nov.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, I've arrived home again... damn, missing the snow already. A quick review... Les Lutins is a nice little 2* hotel situated very close to the main lift up the slopes. Basic cold breakfast with cereal, coffee or tea, a variety of breads and spreads, natural yogurt and fresh fruit. The twin room had way more space than the usual 6 berthers I'm used to and the balcony was nice for the first day. Recommended - I'd stay there any time.

Sunday was hot and sunny, myself and my boarder mate set out 30 mins late so made up with it for missing out lunch. Managed to get fallen on by a mature boarder on Grand Couloir who firstly hit the rear of my skis while I was stationary waiting for him to pass, then knocked me over, then fell onto my thigh. Quite comical really.

The next couple of days saw the snow... and some nasty winds. We bought neoprene face masks on Tuesday night - they made a hell of a difference. There was loads of fresh powder between the pistes on the la Fee lift and also to the left of lift No 35 (Grand Nord Bis, Tete Moute and Bellecombes)... we spent a lot of time blasting around over little edges and down the sides of mounds, although at times you were skiing by feel as there was no visibility regarding where the ground was. First time I've had to jump the skis up to the surface in order to turn, at a few points the snow was flowing close to my knees. These two areas seemed to be more sheltered and out of the biting winds.

Weds I had an off piste lesson with easiski - after getting a 3 inch chunk out of my ski right though to the structure in the morning. I had been playing around on the rocky ground to the left of Grand Couloir with no problems, I then take a line through fresh snow next to a blue and bang!!! I seem to have an unerring ability to find rock spikes under powder - maybe thats why some lines are just not taken. I had seen the other rocks and warning post but had thought that I had taken a wide enough route (my mate got it on video as well - you can hear the bang). Got some great hints and must now work on (like a fashionable nun) keeping the good habits. Oh - skis fixed overnight at Ski Extreme, also had a good guy (Cedric from Jacques Sports) take a look at a boot problem I have had for a little while.

easiski wrote:
I bet Scarpa's stilll out though - he's indestuctible! We had some fun on his off piste lesson yesterday - I just hope it's OK for our planned trip to LG tomorrow.

Fateful words indeed - I had felt a little uneasy Confused after the spag bol I ate on Weds lunchtime, by teatime cue 18 hrs of stomach cramps, nothing to bring up, and Thurs mostly spent in bed apart from a couple of walks to the shops. LG was already postponed until Friday due to conditions. I woke up on Friday morning at 0419 with NO STOMACH PAIN Smile

I could actually eat a decent breakfast, so after a few test runs up L2A it was off to la Grave. As previously described it was a fantastic day out... and more so for me as I had spent my 5th day of skiing at le Chazelet during several days climbing in la Grave, and had looked up at the ski routes and dreamed of taking them. OK - it was an easy route but now that I've started... Idea Cheers Charlotte and Jules Very Happy

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 24-03-07 18:09; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard E, welcome to Snowheads, and I'm glad you've joined! Also thanks for the kind words. Very Happy Of course there's also the summer skiing which is my personal favourite, and now that Mrs Mrs Richard E, can do the glacier ..... You should also look out for fellow snowheads at the Norfolk Ski club, there are a number including a new couple who skied with me earlier in the year Evski and mrs.

Today was actually quite pleasant, and I skied with Colin B and his friend. If I hadn't been feeling so crook it would have been very nice. Still cold, but the wind is now not nice, but not really horrid like last week - I wonder how many days that wind will have added to my lurgy? I tried to take a pic, but the batteries (fairly recently changed) had fallen foul of the cold, so sorry about that. My week off next week now isn't! rolling eyes Sad - still it's all work! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, great to hear from you. Very Happy We can't stop talking about the fantastic skiing last week. At dinner with friends last night we must have bored them silly with our skiing stories, but convinced them (both non skiers) to join us next year - so please organise another bash in March 08. Hopefully we can also persuade NickL and family to join us at L2A. Try and bend his ear at the ESB.

I will keep an eye out for snowHead's at the Norfolk ski club. Busy all week at work so no chance of putting into practice the leading arm thing etc, etc..... but hopefully sometime next week I can get Caroline along to the dry slope to join in and practice her snowploughs!

Sorry to hear you're still feeling poorly. I have been watching your weather posts all week and wondering what it's like to ski in bad weather. We were so lucky that our introduction to L2A was wall to wall sunshine for 7 days Toofy Grin Looking forward to seeing some more of your excellent pics in due course. I by emailed you a selection of pics from the over 50's last week including a wonderful one of you alongside the Chevy - very cool. Cool Get well soon.
snow report
Richard E, Sking in bad weather can be fun in a weird way. Keep all skin covered and you should be ok. The most I needed last week was 2 thermal T shirts and a shell jacket. The neoprene face mask and a neck tube was a must though.
ski holidays
Scarpa, quite frankly I'm currently so enthusiastic about skiing I would be happy to try it in any weather, but so far our only experience in two weeks skiing has been sun and more sun. We took all the necessary clothing and base layers but ended up removing layers and wishing we had more lightweight stuff.
snow report
Richard E, Sounds like you would be all right then - a little enthusiasm goes a long way. On Tuesday I had a Buff neck tube pulled over my face and with my breath going through it the damn thing froze to my beard and nose in a mass of ice. BTW - I only used my helmet all week, had no need of any further head layers. I was also stopping to do a few blood tests (being diabetic) and having my gloves off in exposed places was a little painful. Oh - goggles... not shades hehehe
ski holidays
A pleasant day today. Not quite so cold and on the nursery slopes it was positively balmy. Very Happy Very Happy (My week off has taken a nosedive). Sad
ski holidays
easiski, Sorry your week off isn't to be but I just had to tell you I keep going back to that photo of the ice cave . . . it really is awesome!!! snowHead
snow conditions
Leis, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Embarassed
snow conditions
No piccies today I'm afraid - the cold is just too horrid for me to even think about "extra" things! Actually not a bad day today, sort of cloudy and a bit of light snow at the Cretes, but not too cold, and quite pleasant on the nursery slopes this pm - most instructors taking off their jackets etc sun sort of trying, ditto blue sky, but clouds hovering all around. OK, but could have been not so good higher up - can't tell! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, have pinned one of my pics to my desk wall at work so i can daydream I'm still there <sigh>
snow report
easiski, Myself and my mate are both missing the snow Sad
He is well keen to get back to L2A and explore more of the terrain. I reckon we might be able to persude our whole gang to do a trip there snowHead
ski holidays
Scarpa, debbi, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Hey all, me and m friends had a brilliant week in L2A, we had a couple of windy and cold days but the skiing made up for that!!!! as a group we also thought it was a great resort! plenty to do, plenty places to eat and drink!!! Jagerbombs rule!!!! would highly recommend this resort to anyone, think we are all booking up for next year!!!!! Aaron
latest report
aaronski, Great - gl;ad you enjoyed it so much - you can see why I stayed here once I'd arrived! Nice day today, forgot to change batteries in camera. Took my super beginners up to the path around the Cretes and back by chairlift - good as gold. Nice snow at Cretes level - a little crispy in the village. May get a photo later. Very Happy
snow conditions
Anyone know if i'll need my snowchains saturday afternoon. Would imagine roads are snow free. Is a dump predicted saturday?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's very unlikely you'll need them, but you should have them handy. If it's a rental car then it's probably cheaper to not bother and buy a pair at the supermarket rather than rent. If it's yours pack them anyway if you have them, if not, do as above.
latest report
A really, really nice day today. It was cold-ish in the morning and deffo a bit crispy int he village. However the snow on the Cretes was really nice and my beginners progressed well. Later I went up to the glacier and skied down Breche and Gours with friends/clinets, and found great snow everywhere. Here's the first pic of looking up from the start of the Breche, and the second one looking at Gours Bis from the Gours - and yet - it is that steep!!! Shocked
snow report
easiski, I bet it was superb today Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
00z run this morning predicting fair bit of snow tomorrow (netweather). Is this likely to be accurate? Would think as its so close to the time it will be. Lets hope so. snowHead
latest report
Looks good! I'm there from Saturday!
snow report
out there for a week from the 7th Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
jealous Evil or Very Mad
snow report
another nice day. A bit colder than yesterday and getting definitely icy in places in the town. Mainly just walking onto the nursery slopes and so on. The Cretes was good though at 09.30 or so as was the Goulet du Grand Nord a little bit later. The jewlell today though, was the Valentin at around 11.40 - almost perfect: firm corduroy with about 2" of fluffy cannon powder on top. REally nice - unfortunately I got a phone call half way down which affected my rhythm somewhat! Shocked Now any other colour run I just get the phone out and carry on skiing, but blacks merit a little more attention! I can't actually remember when the Valentin was so nice to ski other than in fresh powder. Very Happy It's clouding over now, and the weather is supposed to be not so nice tomorrow - we'll see what happens.

Today's photo is of the Viking nursery slopes with the Diable (right) and the l'Y (eegreck) on the left. they're both closed, but you can still make you way down either - best to wait for the snow to soften though!
ski holidays
easiski, looks lovely and brings back happy memories. Very Happy Tried the dry slope in Norwich yesterday and was amazed at the difference from snow - it felt like skiing through good snow to melted snow, you know that bit when you experience the sudden braking!!! Mad Still it is the best I can do at present.
ski holidays
Richard E, Good for you. You do get used to it after a few gos. Hoew about Mrs Richard E,? She should love the slow bit! Very Happy
latest report
easiski, agreed but so far she has resisted the dry slope Crying or Very sad
snow report
Pretty cloudy and moving around today. snowing on the Cretes and above and about 2-5cms fresh on the Cretes. A bit more higher up. Not tipping it down though, just snowing. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy