Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie here! Advice re kids clothing needed please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there! I've spent many happy hours reading previous posts and have finally got round to registering because I could do with some advice from those in the know.

We are taking our two boys skiing at New Year for the first time. The 7 year old will be in ski school most of the time and the 4 year old will have a short lesson and spend the rest of the time in a Ski Kindergarten.

We are going to Saas Fee and have been assured that it will be pretty chilly. Obviously we need thermals, goggles, helmets etc etc but what sort of ski suit would be best? We had thought about one-piece suits to keep them warm (the youngest one tends to feel the cold) but how practical are they when in kindergarten etc?

I want them to be warm and dry and am torn between the one-piece to keep the snow out when they fall over, and a two-piece because it seems to be far more practical.

I would be VERY grateful for your advice!

Thank you

Claire
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vanderstel, ...welcome to snowHeads after lurking for so long....! snowHead

I really don't know much about kiddies ski clothing, save some friends of mine hired some pretty good kit for their youngsters a few years back. They were one-pieces. Will try to get the source for you, but I am sure some other snowHead 's will be along soon with loads of info......
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks BernardC - look forward to reading more.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
vanderstel, I would go for a two piece but make sure you buy it big! Buy good quality MITTENS - never gloves for littlies, and make sure they have enough room in them to put a pair of thin gloves underneath if necessary. The hands will be the worst. Kids always play with the snow and then wonder why their hands are wet and cold, so buy the best quality you can afford for this. Also polo necks: quite a few small kids don't like polo necks, but you must insist - a cold neck = a cold child. If a small child loses core temperature it gets quite serious quite quickly, and I find that many parents "give in" to clothing tantrums!

You'll be able to rent a helmet with the skis etc, and they shouldn't need poles - they get in the way. A good way to avoid pole problems is to tell them it's much better to ski without poles because it proves how good they are!

All other clothes you've probably already got, just go for layers and make sure they tuck in to each other - none of this silly fashion short top nonsense! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vanderstel, Hi, welcome to snowheads! We have 2 girls the same age and were in the same position as you 2 years ago - i.e. one in ski school the other kindergarten in January - we found that we went sledging with them a lot too, at least once a day.

I took a one-piece for each of them and a suit each too, jan is usually pretty cold and basically they roll around in the snow & get really soggy (particularly hands), so based on this you need enough warm & waterproof stuff to get them through each day, & if you go out 3 times, you need 3 sets of dry warm stuff - make sense? you can dry everything out overnight. I bought lots of stuff on ebay - because it is so cheap - moon boots, for example;

short link

This time of year is good, because everything is cheaper! First year I bought £35 moon boots - but 2nd hand ones like the above have probably only been worn a few times.

For underlayers, I bought roll neck tops (though this was excessive for mine - as they are so active they overheated) & warm cotton tights (do boys do tights?!) plus ski socks.

good luck!

rebecca
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
vanderstel,

I think E Bay is the way ahead , we buy stuff for the kids and then sell them on when they grow to big Laughing

One thing I did was to take a good back pack , it was full of spare gloves , hat, goggles and layers . I even attached there helmets when they werer walking to and from the slopes. I may have looked like a pack horse but i could keep them happy.

A happy child = A happy parent = A happy holiday Razz
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vanderstel, also as per easiski, & curtains, to ensure a safe & happy holiday you must lay down rules - mittens & hat on, layers etc., and lots of safety stuff which is crucial - there are quite a few previous threads on this - easiski & a lot of others gave me some key advice about skiing with kids - it is good just to be aware of stuff that can arise!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vanderstel.

Just one very simple thing. Get a long lenth of elastic and sow each end to each glove. Elastic then is place up one arm around the back and down the other arm (inside jacket). This has saved us countless times as the kids cant lose them. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

again i would say only use mittens for little ones:- A it keeps them warmer and B when kid take their gloves off as they do constantly the liners can come detached and it become very difficult to put gloves back on kids them hands are cold and wet. Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
we just have salopettes rather than one-piece.

Keeps them warm enough and allows normal fleeces and waterproofs to be used from the waist up as required. They've never been cold.

tkmax is good. Just picked up a pair of decent salopettes for the eldest for £15. Not really worth hiring at that rate, and can be passed down to subsequent children.

mitten advice above is sound !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
LL Bean has a large selection of snow and skiing gear for kids (more than for adults in some products)...even once you've added shipping and duties it can work out pretty cheap. My step kids love the cheap snow boots I got fo them last year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can i just add that rpft stated cotton as a thermal layer. Your kids will be much more warm, dry and comfortable in polyester, polypropelene of microfleece thermals which are still pretty cheap (polyester is about £20 for top and bottoms).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've got twin boys aged 5 and girl aged 3. For their trip last Christmas, when it was down to -12 we went for

All in one ski suits - no snow down the trousers when playing in snow or falling over
Tracksuit trousers underneath
Turtle neck to keep warm neck, also pulled up to warm mouth and nose
Goggles and helmet kept head warm
Mittens better than gloves

Kept them warm and no problems - although I would recommend allowing a bit of extra time for toilet stops!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now I can add - Decathlon!! Great for cheap but seemingly pretty good ski gear. I'll let you know how good after Christmas!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbloom, we bought kids stuff from Decathlon and were very happy. The only problem is if you go skiing in France, you will probably end up chasing after the wrong child at some point.

Have used one pieces and 2 pieces. Not much difference but a 2 piece may last the child longer before she grows out of it.

Spare mitts is a good idea. We got snowboard gauntlet style (from Decathlon) that are not only very waterproof but much more difficult for the child to take off (at 3-4 this is a good thing). When my boys were 3 they were forever taking their mitts off and getting snow inside them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vanderstel, Hi - I am very much in favour of 2 piece suits just for the ease of getting them to the toilet...

Some children really seem to feel the cold, some don't. Ours (now 5 and 10) have been sking from 3 and 4 respectively, and have never been cold, except on the face, even in -25 in Canada. The older one tends to get too hot. Except on open chairs they will probably spend less time on the tops of mountains or skiing at the type of speed that gives you wind chill.

Take two pairs of Mittens (preferred to gloves until children are bigger and completely reliable at putting them on themselves) and a spare hat for each to the hill. Obviously they will be wearing helmets when skiing. Thermal leggings on cold days. Our 10 year old love using a Buff fleece/cotton neck gaiter. Trespass gear is good and cheap. There does appear to be lots of stuff on e bay.

Have fun!
ski holidays
Quote:

I am very much in favour of 2 piece suits just for the ease of getting them to the toilet...

It all depends. You really need salopettes which come up well above the waist, front and back, with straps (because waist length trousers on littlies with no waists are hopeless in the snow). That means to go to the toilet you need to get the jacket off - and hold in teeth. Then wriggle down the straps and pull trousers low enough, muttering through clenched teeth to child to keep still and then hold clothing far enough away from danger that they can wee without soaking the clothes. So, I'm not convinced a two piece is all that easy. Make a point of finding which restaurants and bars have nice toilets without deep puddles all over the floor. Do you know Saas Fee?
Quote:

We have been assured that it will be pretty chilly

let's hope so, or the chances of snow are not too good.

Have a great holiday snowHead
snow report
You are all wonderful and VERY helpful - Many thanks!

We have bought and borrowed both styles of ski suits for both boys so hopefully every eventuality will be covered. Will start laying everything out this weekend (after all, only 27 days to go.......)
snow conditions
Hi!
Sorry to join late this forum.
I have two kids one is of 7 years and another one is of 4 years. I want to buy clothes for one of my kids birthday and coming Christmas. Please suggest me what should I buy for them and from where I can get it?
Thanks in advance.

Baby Boy Dress Online Shopping

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 27-10-17 6:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@jairus12, welcome to Snowheads! Aside from the advice above, I’d get it from decathlon or online ie amazon. For kids, an all-in-one insulated snowsuit or insulated ski jacket and insulated pants. You will probably get more later use out of a separate jacket and pants. My son switched to that age 7. It doesn’t need to be high end stuff, 5000 water resistant or above, which is fine unless it’s raining or very wet snow.

Get some base layer trousers and long sleeve t shirts. Merino if you can afford it. That’s the expensive bit.

In warmer weather (above -5C) the base layers and jacket/pants should be fine. If it gets colder add a thin fleece or top they hopefully have already.

Buy a few cheap buffs. Two each.

And mitts. A couple of pairs each. Or one pair of higher quality eg hestra.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) for us we need to buy this stuff anyway living in Sweden.
ski holidays
Definitely get separate jackets and trousers rather than an all-in-one. Small people don't get a lot of warning when they need a pee-break and struggling with an unfamiliar onesie isn't going to end well.

Always mittens for little ones - they're warmer and you can actually get them on them without fingers going everywhere.

Both Lidl and Aldi do ranges of ski-wear which are both affordable and of good quality particularly for thermals so they have several sets each. They will be coming out soon so keep an eye out on their websites.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy