Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 06/07

Poster: A snowHead
Yep, but its not much and I doubt it will last long - should start taking the temperature of the ground down a bit though Very Happy . I'm srurprised any snow survived the winds of last night. Went from Aberdeen to Huntly for the HNSC training night. Hit one large bit of tree that had decided to lie in the middle of the road - fortunatley came to a halt just into the outer branches without hitting the thick main branch. At the ski centre were several large branches down across the track when I arrived, when I left there were a couple of whole trees down across the tracks. Driving back home I had to take two detours around fallen trees - council workers must have had a busy night removing the trees and redirecting drivers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blimey Dave sounds bad, glad you got there and back again okay.

Great seeing that skiff of snow though Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeh also agree it won't last, but it's nice to see after such a warm october!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now, now, let's be happy - the glass is half full (even if it's set to melt) Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Blimey Dave sounds bad, glad you got there and back again okay.

Great seeing that skiff of snow though Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:10 am

It was a bit scary.

Should have a look on winterhighland snow ramping thread - deer have appeared on the ptarmigan cam now Very Happy .

Still -3C on the top so any more ppt should be fall as snow at the moment. Make that -2C its starting to warm up. But weatheronlines forecast is predicting it will warm up over the weekend, but then will snow on and off from tues 30th onwards to the end of their forecast period in early november.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave Horsley wrote:
It was a bit scary.

I'll bet!
Quote:
Should have a look on winterhighland snow ramping thread - deer have appeared on the ptarmigan cam now Very Happy

Yes, I've seen tha piccy - thought it was great Very Happy
Quote:
Still -3C on the top so any more ppt should be fall as snow at the moment. Make that -2C its starting to warm up. But weatheronlines forecast is predicting it will warm up over the weekend, but then will snow on and off from tues 30th onwards to the end of their forecast period in early november.

Hopefully the the ground will be cooling though, every little helps as they say Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Shocked
ski holidays
 brian
brian
II, Santa must be having lunch in the Ptarmigan Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey! There's reindeer in that photo Smile Where's Santa?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, how did you manage to answer my question before I asked it? Spooky...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
II, fantastic! Very Happy

Xmas is coming early to the Ptarmigan eh!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
II, wow, that looks good.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
Hey! There's reindeer in that photo Smile Where's Santa?

Better than rain, dear. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It would seem that aliens have abducted the deer and set fire to Aviemore snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ I reckon it's a Dalek Wink
latest report
I think you're right roga Shocked
latest report
Well the Daleks have gone but it appears to be rather cold and snowy at the top today, so much so the webcam's iced up. If you look at the Base Station cam though you can see what looks like a line of snow starting about a third up the white lady.

I think this cold spell is set to last a few days so all grist to mill and it must be cooling the ground nicely now Very Happy

There seems to be more fresh snow action in Scotland at the moment than the Alps, or I have I just been reading the wrong threads? Wink

latest report
ohhh look, the 'gorms got a new hat...

snow report
Well the blooming Cairngorm webcam is down at the moment and just as the tempreatures start to drop!

The Lecht has a new dusing of snow though (see below)... I wonder when they'll wheel out their new snow guns and get the season started Very Happy

snow conditions
 brian
brian
roga, looks like they've been testing the cannons in the car park Very Happy
latest report
brian wrote:
roga, looks like they've been testing the cannons in the car park Very Happy

Or maybe they tried to hit the pistes and missed - their aim might need working on before the season starts! Wink
snow conditions
More snow at The Lecht this morning Very Happy

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its not lasted long though Sad . But hopefully its just the start of things to come Smile
latest report
looks like it's coming back again Smile
snow report
Dave Horsley wrote:
Its not lasted long though Sad . But hopefully its just the start of things to come Smile

Yup, at the moment we're just seeing dustings of snow, although according to some who were up Cairngorm Sunday and Monday it was drifting quite deep in places and these appear to have stayed despite a brief thaw.

It's all part of a normal freeze/thaw process at this time of year that gradually cools and then freezes the ground so although it's sad to see it melting it's actually a good thing in as far as near freezing water saturates the ground and makes it colder for the next fall and will, hopefully, freeze in the ground once the really hard frosts hit.
kitenski wrote:
looks like it's coming back again Smile

Yup, it's back again today on Cairngorm and is gradually looking whiter (although the blasted Ptarmigan cam is currenly bust so just showing yesterday's wee thaw at the moment - note the drifts that survived though).

IMHO, it's a shame that unlike The Lecht they haven't got any snowmaking equipment so can't start thinking about filling in the burn in the gunbarrel - it's always good to see that dissapear under snow! Even if that melted somewhat it'd still be contributing to lowering the ground temperature which is important at this stage.

I'm hopeful of some skiing by early December although I wouldn't place bets on it - fingers crossd though because I'll be there on the 9th for the meet with CML's Bob Kinnaird (anyone concerned about removal of uplift welcome to come along). Failing that I'll just have to wait until Xmas in France... Very Happy
latest report

Very Happy
ski holidays
^ That was taken yesterday (the 14th) on Cairngorm - not quite first tracks of the season but almost.

More pics and details on Winterhighland here

I only wish it had been me up there! Very Happy
snow conditions
How come that I live in the midlands but the snow in Scotland is sooo far away?!?!?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, the answer is in your question!

loads more snow Very Happy
ski holidays
Looks better than anywhere in France at the moment!

Cue Scots saying "it always looks better than anywhere in France.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
shoogly, hmmm, don't know about loads, some nice looking drifts on the M1 though, it's a start.

There was a really interesting thread recently on winterhighland about removing some of the M1 fencing to let more snow drift onto the lady which is a much better natural snow holding area. That pic really shows how much the fences are catching.
latest report
think more is forecast as well this week, hopefully the drifts will freeze/refreeze and setup an iron base Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
kitenski, there's a warm front sweeping its way northwards as we speak (well, type). Sad Should be short lived though, fingers crossed some might survive to be built on at the weekend.
latest report
ben wright, You're not kidding! We've had another balmy, sunny, late summer day. Seems an insult after the freezing temps of the PSB! Sad
snow conditions
I'm hopeing toget my first turns in on either Sunday or Monday. I don't know if I will have to Shocked walk Shocked or not to get them?
Hopefully if the current forcast comes through either Cairngorm will have the Daylodge poma open or the lecht will be open Very Happy
snow conditions
II, I'd bet on the Lecht - always on the minute and opening at the slightest opportunity - unlike Cairngorm who only want to open when no-one wants to ski! Shocked Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Looking good on the updated Gorm cam this morning Very Happy Most of what was there has survived and should've gone through a thaw/freeze. Outlook for the next few days is reasonably cold, mostly westerlies and north-westerlies packing in showers off the atlantic. One or 2 warm sectors but at the moment they look like good consolidating thaw/freeze cycles rather than savage washouts. Fingers crossed Very Happy snowHead
latest report
Yup brian quite right, looking good and hopefully more consolidated after a slight thaw and then freeze which is precisely what we need.

There's a couple of inches at Nevis too (see webcam here) and that looks good, although The Lecht hasn't had much benefit over the last couple of days. i haven't got a clue how Glenshee are doing or Glencoe - no cams at these centres although Glencoe are apparently installing some (to go with their nice new website).

Sounds like it's actually looking better in Scotland at the moment than some places on the continent - have you seen the Too Warm even for Articficial snow (Bad News) thread? Hopefully it'll improve there - I have a vested interest 'coz I'm off to Les Gets at Xmas but leaving that aside it looks like I'll have a decent chance of getting something in at the Gorm on the weekend of the 9th which is great! Very Happy
snow conditions
Bizarre really.

We're all getting excited about a bit of snow in Scotland and no snow in the Alps.

Come May when there is feet of snow on the Scottish tops and Metres in the Alps - no one will be interested and hardly anyone will be skiing.

The real start of the season is still at least 2 months away and probably 3 in Scotland.........(but its still exciting isn't it Razz )
latest report
This on the BBC weather site:

"Latest UK Weather and Flood Warnings

Thursday 16 November WEATHER WATCH Sleet and snow is likely to affect Northern Ireland and Central Scotland during Friday morning. Accumulations of snow are expected mainly over hills and mountains, however there is a risk of some snow falling to low levels causing disruption to transport for a time Further updates will appear here " snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy