Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 06/07

Poster: A snowHead
brian, Chucking it down with snow in Glasgow at the moment so mountains up north must be getting a good covering.

snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
Sage, Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
More good news - Glencoe opens for the season tomorrow at 10am (assuming they can dig the lifts out that quick).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
can anyone get a live cam shot of glencoe. Iv tried on their website but cant open it for some reason. Cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the live cam is broke I tried it but didnt get anything.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The live cam is broke - or at least the router is. Check on Winterhighland ( www.winterhighland.info ) for the latest pictures from the slopes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Took in a couple of hours yesterday afternoon at CairnGorm Mountain. With the main fronts tracking just a bit to the South there wasn't the depth of fresh that the Western areas had, but a few inches of fresh in a moderating Westerly was enough to drift a good of fresh powdery snow onto the already open runs and greatly freshen things up. So while the open terrain remains limited to the Top Basin and Coire Cas, the surface conditions were great, a fantastic afternoon as the cloud had lifted to give a bright clear afternoon.

Three boarders pause on Coire Cas looking towards Loch Morlich below.

More Photos: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=276

Also one photo from Goneboarding site of Nevis Range on Thursday looking down the Goose: www.goneboarding.co.uk

Some more photos from Nevis Range can be found at www.nevisrange.co.uk and click on the photos links.

Weekend Outlook:

Should just add a short note that all five Scottish Areas intend to offer at least some sport over the weekend. West is def. best in terms of extent of the base and range of terrain on offer and for amount of fresh over the past few days. The Lecht only has beginner terrain open today and Glenshee expects to have a couple of lower green runs open Sat, CairnGorm is a bit in between with fairly limited terrain but very good snow conditions on what is open with riding to the mid station giving 1300ft of Vertical.

Potentially a fair bit of new snow possible overnight and in the early part of Saturday morning, exact details vary with each model run but it looks pretty promising at the moment. Much stronger winds are expected overnight which should shift some of the light cosmetic general covering in the East and drift into the runs so there is chance of a bit more being open at the Lecht and Glenshee if things come good tonight. Winds will be very high around dawn before quickly moderating to little more than 20 to 30mph.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks like deserted pistes and freshies at Nevis!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Turns out my Geography aint too hot, I thought Glenshee was the closest resort to me but its actually Glencoe and then Nevis............ Its only 80miles away. Undecided to go to Glencoe or drive right on and head to Nevis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seems like people might be better of heading to Scotland than heading to the Alps! Laughing Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Winterhighland, Looks great, thanks for the photos. Nevis looking truly excellent. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is anyone struck by the contrast there seems to be this year between Scotland and many low altitude resorts in the Alps?

To me it seems to be the case that for the first time in years Scotland is actually getting a better season than many of these resorts and it's a bit of a surprise given the doom and gloom that often seems to come from those involved in the Scottish ski industry.

Now if they can only trumpet the fact that things are relatively good north of the border they could actually do quite well out of the current situation!

Really we need to shout this from the roof tops guys! Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The last couple of years there has usually been one or two weekends where Scotland has been as good as anywhere in the Alps. Last year Glencoe had the best conditions in Europe for a short while snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ oh I know, I was up in March last year and conditions were superb - was in Deux Alpes in April so missed more of the same in Scotland, but caught it in May, but the perceptilon of a lot of people seems to be that it's highly marginal and not nearly as good as the Alps. This year rather gives the lie to that in as far as there's been skiing in Scotland for longer than many alpine resorts - Cairngorm being open since early December/late November. Whilst many people bemoan the lack of snowfall in the Alps and elsewhere on other threads it's plain to see that Scotland is getting pretty good conditions, after all what other European country will be able to say this weekend that *all* of it's ski areas are open?

Strikes me we need to keep on reminding people of these facts as they bemoan poor conditions elsewhere and it might actually help to give a much needed boost to the Scottish ski industry.

And just wait until the gulf stream switches off... ! Wink
ski holidays
 John Heaton
John Heaton
roga, And just wait until the gulf stream switches off... !

Thats a chilling thought. Not sure we should wish too hard for that!
snow conditions
John Heaton wrote:
roga, And just wait until the gulf stream switches off... !

Thats a chilling thought. Not sure we should wish too hard for that!

Very chilling!

True, it could have some pretty awful consequences but the thing about this climate change is anything could be on the cards, from the skiing POV it could actually get colder with more snow here eventually!

Anyway, getting back on topic - how was it today? Looks like it's prety decent from the webcams etc.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga, I think the peeps who are doing all the moaning, just like putting others off - they (sadly), don't actually want to help themselves. I heard the phrase "designer skiing" mentioned last week (in derogatory tones of course!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A photo from Glencoe:

Continuing snow showers to varying degrees across the areas on Sunday. Go to www.winterhighland.info for more photos, there are lots from Glenshee, Glencoe and Nevis from Sunday in the Public Reports section of the site.

Interestingly quite a lot of people seem to have travelled a fair way to get to Glencoe today, including people who hadn't skied in Scotland for years. Busiest day for a number of years at Glencoe.
snow report
I was up at Glencoe yesterday and it was very bussy with Q's. That was the first time I have ever been there. There was plenty of snow and me and my mates had a great day would love to try check out more Scottish ski resorts before I head out to Andorra on Sunday.
snow report
Apparently there's 8 inches of fresh at Cairngorm today and The Lecht is currently in the middle of a blizzard!
easiski wrote:
roga, I think the peeps who are doing all the moaning, just like putting others off - they (sadly), don't actually want to help themselves. I heard the phrase "designer skiing" mentioned last week (in derogatory tones of course!)

Designer skiing eh, well they'll definitely only be interested in the Alps, snow or no snow Wink

I think you're right though, there are some people who get off on moaning and there are resorts like Deux Alpes that have plenty of snow (as you know), it's the low level ones that seem pretty abysmal though and they're the majority - Les Gets, where we were at Xmas is now apparently closed as a result of what snow there was being washed away. Realistically the picture isn't good in many places but seems average or above higher up.

However, Scotland seems to be doing really well at the moment so I think we should contnue spreading the word Very Happy

BTW Winterhighland, fantastic piccy there.
snow report
 brian
brian
Nevis and Glencoe both reporting great conditions and I did tell you that today might be a classic. Pics from winterhighland ....

Damn work and my lack of holidays Sad
snow conditions
brian, looks like i should get the skis in the car this weekend. If only..........................
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, You're close enough - do it!
snow report
nevis range for us this weekend Shock)
snow conditions
easiski, I am very tempted too!
snow report
Very tempting, early dart friday, drive up, ski early saturday Puzzled
snow conditions
Very tempting indeed, those pics look great! Google maps reckons it's 387 miles for me which it reckons is a 9 hour drive... hmmm...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
If you are tempted, then at this stage Saturday looks a better bet than Sunday but both days should be skiable.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not been before - is there anywhere there to hire skis from?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ignore that, found it now.
snow report
I'm going to miss this weekend - off to Ruhpolding for a bit of xc racing. At least they've finally got some snow by the look of the webcams. Would be really galling to fly to mainland Europe with no snow leaving the best Scottish snow of the season so far behind. Did manage a bit of training in the Clash over the weekend though. Conditions in the Clash are pretty good with decent snow on all the tracks. May get pisted before the weekend (with a bit of luck). Hopefully it remains reasonably cold whilst I'm away.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-01-07 9:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
lampbus, GO!GO!GO! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
out of interest, what is the longest run in Scotland in good conditions? And if anyone knows the biggest verticle decent?

Thanks
snow conditions
 brian
brian
davejsy,

Nevis top to bottom is around 2000 feet of vertical.

In near miracle conditions when you can ski back to the Glencoe car park (very rare) then it has 2500 feet, but 1400 feet is the Coe's usual max.

Cairngorm is around 1600 feet from top of Ptarmigan to Cas car park.

Glenshee has Glas Maol, I'm guessing around 1400 feet. Edit: revise that down to about 1100 feet, just looked at a map, doesn't go as low as I thought.

Harrier at the Lecht is about 700 feet or so.

In terms of length I'm not sure but I reckon off the Nevis summit into the back coire and back to the restaurant must be about 2 miles or so.
snow report
brian,

Can you ski to the bottom of the gondola at Nevis Range at the moment?
snow report
 brian
brian
Liam, no, and I've never seen anyone try that ! If you did though, it would increase the vertical to about 3700 feet Shocked
ski holidays
brian, interesting, much more than I imagined.
snow conditions
Using the new footpath from Coire Cas down to Loch Morlich, 2,700' should be possible at Cairngorm ! snowHead
snow report
Top to Carpark was done at Nevis Range last winter utlizing the downhill track for a bit then forest roads. People were doing the Access Run at Glencoe on Wednesday though the bottom third was really patchy - one member of Glencoe staff made it to the bottom though without removing skis by getting air over the breaks!!

Higher up for the more sane (from the top of the Access Chair) upwards there is great sport for all abilities at Glencoe. The upper mountain and Thrombosis, Canyon and the Wall on the mid-mountain are just loaded.

Lots more photos from Wed: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=286

Plus yet more at: http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/gc/winter200607/07jan24/?g2_page=1
snow report
Nevis are planning to spin the Braveheart this weekend if the weather plays ball, see my post in 'The Piste' for more.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy