Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 06/07

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

First post here! I've never skiied before (apart from a 'learn to ski in a day package' at the milton keynes snozone) so if one wanted to get up to Scotland from london for a weekend (lets say leave Fri night return in time for work on Monday morning) whats the best way of doing it? Fly up to Edinburgh/Glasgow, or take the overnight train from Euston? I guess driving would take too much time. Where to stay as well? Does anyone have a good itinerary?

I would be tempted to do this before my first week skiing in Courchevel in Jan. BUt is there snow in Scotland?! Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always thourght firstracks lived life though a rose tinted lens http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/3811-1/06.jpg
Now I know Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 28-12-06 10:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MorganW,
Sleeper train is good (saves on 1 or 2 hotel bills) to either Aviemore or Fort Bill. Check where the snow is best Nevis/Cairngorm before you book !!!
Cairngorm hotel is my fav place to stay in Aviemore – great bar – good food – opposite train station - great value Smile
As I live 1 hour from Nevis never stopped over in fort bill rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Still looking very good!!!

MorganW, I wouldn't want to discourage you from going to Scotland - far from it, but it is definitely not necessarily the best place for beginners (no good nursery slopes near the bottom of the hill, and often quite challenging conditions). I would have to say, that from London, you could probably get a cheaper weekend in the alps with better slopes for your first steps on the real thing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MorganW, if you live in London why not head to France - it will be quicker than Scotland.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Guys! Thanks for the information. You're right about France being closer, but there is something irrational in my mind that associates Scotland as being easier to get to given we are connected by the same bit of earth Very Happy

Is anyone able to point me to a resource where I can find ski breaks over a weekend (fly last thing Friday night, return late on Sunday/v. early on Monday morning) such that I don't have to take time off work?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nevis is opening tomorrow Very Happy

"Last Update 17.12hrs on Monday 1st Jan 2007

On Tuesday we should have skiing and snowboarding on the Goose and Summit runs. Snow showers continuing to improve conditions so the ski report will be updated in the morning.
For lower abilities we expect to have the dry slope with a little snow and this will operate for limited numbers. Please book for lessons."

Photo nicked from mark's site (Who does the Terrain park at Nevis) http://www.summitpark.tripod.com/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gorm is also planning on getting back to action after a stormy few days, though it may still be quite blowy so wrap up well. Funicular, Coire Cas, Ciste and Ptarmigan are planned, and the Funicular should be making mid-station stops. Skiable to the middle via the Traverse and Coire Cas. Other middle runs are beginning to fill and further snow has been falling and drifting in.

West Coast has seen much more frequent and intense precipitation though, so Nevis is likely to have the most to offer more experienced riders. Glencoe's upper gullies have been filling further on top of an already decent base, hopefully the tracks and runs have filled in where neccessary and Glencoe will be up and running later in the week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MorganW, Please read my post. I taught and lived in Aviemore for 7 years - now in France. Your progress at this point in your skiing life is likely to be hindered by going to Scotland (unless the Lecht has good snow). The novice slopes are not good, and mostly not extensive. It hurts me to say this - but Scotland is best for people who can already ski passably. If you lived in Newcastle it would be different, but to pay more, and stand to profit less it's crazy for you to go to Scotland for the weekend (sorry all those already up there).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, so I should pop up there then snowHead ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, I have to disagree with your post above. Having learnt to ski between Austria and CairnGorm, if I had been soley exposed to the Austrian side of the equation I'd probably still be plodding around on greens (or at least blues in Austria). I know some instructors that have taught in various countries and various resorts in them, that regard the 'Gorms Ptarmigan Bowl as some of the best terrain for teaching novices.

Kirkwood in California is regarded as one of the top 10 places to learn to ride in the US or Canada despite it being famed for it's rugged terrain, it has some excellent terrain for novices just starting out around Timber Creek, but not extensive novice terrain. That is one of the factors deemed in it's favour, what it lacks in extensive novice terrain it makes up for with an excellent terrain progression from the gentlest green to the most insane double blacks - thus it encourages and aids faster progression.

The situation in terms of terrain and impact of conditions in Scotland creates a similar effect. Far from hindering it will in the longer term help you progress faster and more than likely for quite a lot of people further. In my mind a big resort with endless greens or blues will not help you advance your riding, but encourage you to stagnate, if you stay within your comfort zone you will never progress.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lampbus, You'd love it - deffo go. go every weekend!!!

Winterhighland, Well, we'll have to disagree - Scotland - no easy runs - no flat areas for teaching - T bars - high winds - more expensive hotels .... France - cheaper hotels, cheaper travel - the guy's only had a couple of gos on artificial - he needs those easy blues and greens - no snow fences - flat areas to start on - fast uplift .... As you know I love scottish skiing, but in this case I think MorganW, would be better advised to go to France. lampbus, OTOH is a good skier with an adventurous spirit who lives near Newcastle! Quite different.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MorganW, Easyjet and BA will do flights etc.

I'm with easiski, tho' - you'll do a weekend in the Portes du Soleil (for example) for the same money and have a much better chance of actually skiing !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with Alan - I think Scotland is good for learning to ski, mainly because the slopes aren't your perfect pisted corduroy. Though perhaps as an absolute first timer there is some advantage to your first attempts being on the 'groomed perfection' of Europe.

Personally I did one ski trip to Les Arc (no lessons) and then moved up to Scotland 9-10years ago and have skiied every season since in Scotland with a week in Europe most years, and think some of my best progression has come from the regular skiing in Scotland. I've now moved almost entirely to skiing on freeheel kit and still think I'll advance more from my skiiing in Scotland, perhpas with the exception of preacticing skiing moguls. But you never know - may get some good moguls again on the Lady this year.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
I think that given decent conditions there is enough decent beginner terrain. I didn't ski in the alps until I'd been skiing for about 7 seasons I think and I don't think it did me any lasting damage wink

However, for those that don't live here, and certainly as far South as London, I'd have thought a weekend in the alps was pretty much a no brainer unless you were looking at combining skiing with other things or the snow and the forecast were looking exceptionally good.
snow report
Brian,

I live in Portsmouth and have travelled to the Highlands numerous times for some skiing. Sometimes its not just about value for money but supporting good causes and the experiences (good and bad) that you get out of it. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Chappers, good on you Very Happy One thing abut Scotland is you're pretty much guaranteed an experience, bland it ain't Laughing
snow report
This is a difficult one I think - I learnt in Scotland and have a great deal of affection for Cairngorm in particular and as a consequence have taken my daughter there on a couple of occasions and will do so in the future.

My experience is that learning there was good although I have mixed memories of weather conditions and the variability of the snow but I got used to the conditions and at the time had little to compare with. However, having perhaps been lucky in the last year with conditions in the Alps and vice versa in Scotland, I may well have gone soft (as some of you might have heard me comment) and have found conditions on the Gorm occasionally a little wilder than I've grown used to more recently. Saying that weather is one of the factors that makes skiing in Scotland more of an exciting, and on the edge experience (if you like that kind of thing) than skiing on perfectly groomed pistes in the Alps where the sun shines all day (mostly). I think once you're past the basic beginner stage it's something that you can enjoy as a part of the experience and it's a great challenge if you're in that frame of mind.

From a beginners perspective my daughter was up the Gorm in May last season and although she enjoyed it she did say to me she far preferred skiing in France (and in a UK snowdome) because it was "nicer". She's just 7 so I couldn't get much more from her than that but I took it as meaning the snow and weather were more predictable and the t bars on the Gorm were not to her liking. I intend to take her back this season now that she's more experienced (just learnt her level 4 UK Snowsports award in France) so we'll see what she thinks. I may decide to initially go to the Lecht though because that I think offers an easier introduction to Scottish skiing than some of the other ski areas.

I'm just back from Les Gets in the Portes du Soleil where the cover was limited over Xmas but the kids had a great time and my wife loved it, that was great but I found myself surveying the pretty tame pistes and vistas and missing the wildness of Scotland. Actually I also found myself missing the wildness and expanse of Deux Alpes as well so I guess it's horses for courses and what you're used to.

MorganW, I'd say as a beginner you might just find yourself falling in love with Scotland but it is a risk, you might conversely have awful weather and find yourself not enjoying it. The Alps is less of a risk I'd suggest but you could find yourself hating the barging and not terribly friendly lift queues (my daughter actually got pushed off a chairlift by some moron on a board this holiday! Shocked ) so there's positives and negatives to everywhere.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a good time and if you do try the Alps first make sure you give Scotland a go too - perhaps later in the season is likely to see better weather and snow as in recent years. Smile
snow report
I would have liked to post a report of my trip to Nevis today but it was too windy for them to open till lunch time and I didn't go - but I can tell you it's been about 5 C and raining/sleating here on Skye (at sea level) all day so hope that nevis has caught some more snow Smile When the wind dies I will be there Very Happy
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/o_oq-vCs14Y

It wasn't windy - the chair made it past the tower without impact! Laughing
snow report
Went to Nevis today and when the sun came out and the snow softened in the afternoon conditions were good on the top half of the moutain Smile
Caught a Broken Spector above the summit run tow hut

Ben Nevis apeared at about 2pm as the clouds cleared.

ski holidays
 brian
brian
II, nice pics. It's Brocken Spectre btw.

Summit runs look well covered, was the goose full length ?
latest report
brian,
No just from Tower 4 up but it does seem to have a good base from there up.
snow report
II, Is that also a broken T-bar I see? wink
snow report
 brian
brian
II, good stuff, the worst of the rocks are higher up, it doesn't take as much to cover the grass lower down on the chair runs.

Back coire must be filling well on all these westerly gales Very Happy
snow report
II, great photos. Very Happy
ski holidays
There should be a lot more and down to a lower level now. The question is how much comes through the mild and wet blip that Friday is forecast to be. Cairngorm and the Lecht both look to have picked up decent amount of fresh snow overnight and there is less rain forecast for the East on Friday. so though less new snow has fallen it may stand a better chance of making it through to the weekend - looking promising.
ski holidays
II, That second photo is beautiful...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yeah that is one amazing photo, almost makes me wanna go there
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll post up a link to some photos from a wet CairnGorm later. For now just a small fact about yesterdays weather on CairnGorm.

Highest Recorded wind at the Tunnel Mouth on Friday 12th Jan: 176mph !! (Equalling the previous uk record recorded at the Summit AWS).

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 13-01-07 19:46; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Highest Recorded wind at the Tunnel Mouth on Friday 12th Jan: 176mph !! (Equalling the previous uk record recorded at the Summit AWS).

Now that is impressive. Imagine 76mph MORE than the 1987 'hurricane' ! Shocked
snow conditions
The world record is 231mph at Mt. Washington, New Hampshire.

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/recordwind.php
snow conditions
Winterhighland, wow thats incredible. I thought it was windy here! Shocked

Next time i visit Cairngorm ill need my passport if Gordon Brown's prediction come true. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Quote:

Next time i visit Cairngorm ill need my passport if Gordon Brown's prediction come true.

Shh! He'll end up putting a tax on snow. Toofy Grin

snowHead
latest report
Was at Nevis again today- Light wind - temp below freezing- fair weather- 8 (eight) people skiing/ boarding Shocked
Where pisted it was quite nice and they had pisted a wide strip down the goose which was good fun- this, sidewinder and spider were all good Very Happy
Rock solid base where is was not pisted rolling eyes
latest report
II, looks pretty darned nice!

Seems Scotland is still having a better time than much of the Alps - less people as well! Laughing
snow report
Think I will be trying to head up to somewhere in Scotland over the weekend. What will be the best range to go to at the moment? Glenshee is the closest to me but it doesnt seem to be open at the moment and the winds are too high at Nevis by the sounds of thing so the lifts cant operate.

Anyone got good information on how conditions will be come Sunday?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
dj_colinbell, Baltic freezing with a strong northerly wind and snow showers.

A couple of knife-edge lows to come before the weekend. Tomorrow's looks like it will stay far enough South to bring snow rather than rain. Friday's is a bit dodgier so fingers crossed. Should be some snow showers, especially in the west, on Saturday.

I think Nevis would probably be the best bet as they've got a decent base on the upper goose and on Sunday the wind looks like it might be a bit lighter in the West but really Saturday night would be the best time to decide.
snow report
I meant to post up some pics from Tuesday, a superb day to be in the mountains with unbroken sunshine from a blue sky over CairnGorm Mountain and virtually calm. Perfect cold crisp winters day, maxed out at -6c at the top.

More pix at: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=274
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Slushy wet snow at home this morning.

Judging by the met office radar, Nevis and Glencoe must've got an absolute pasting Very Happy

Friday night into Saturday doesn't look too bad at the moment, and looks like more snow later on Saturday and into Sunday. Very Happy Very Happy snowHead

With High pressure forecast to move in during the next week, there may be some classic conditions out there to be enjoyed !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy