Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what resort for disabled skiers

Poster: A snowHead
I hope to bring my 15 year old paraplegic son skiing for the first time this winter.can anybody recommend a resort that can cater fot disabled skiers and would have the necessary equipment for hire.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
donzo112, Oxygene ski school in La Plagne offer disabled tuition and equipment. They seemedvery good when we used them
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler, Aspen, Winter Park and Breckenridge (i think re the last) were the ones most helpful to me....

Challenge Aspen provide pretty good rates for the whole deal re lessons, lift tickets, and equipment... and they are GREAT people... they helped my main instructor design my instruction sme years back....

Whistler are pretty good.... ask steve Bova re kimberly area...

Failing that - wait until summer and hit the southern hemisphere... you get a great exchange rate for AUD... and the organisation is good re accom and instruction...

if you don't fancy dodgy Oz snow go to kiwiland - they have real mountains and proper snow.... and their dollar is even weaker than ours!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
donzo112, I agree with Frosty the Snowman, Aime La Plagne has disabled ski school and we often see disabled skiers around this whole domain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Canadian team train at Lake Louise and it's pretty user friendly with respect to steps too and fro the carpark although not perfect. Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a guide on facilities at some French resorts here, which includes where there are adapted apartments and teaching facilities http://uk.franceguide.com/Snow-destinations.html?nodeID=1&EditoID=19130

There should be a national body (equivalent to Disability Sport UK) for disabled skiing in all the main European ski countries that would have all the answers that you need. I would think that if you rang Disability Sport UK they should be able to tell you contact details for the various countries.

Hope you can get it sorted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro wrote:
There is a guide on facilities at some French resorts here, which includes where there are adapted apartments and teaching facilities http://uk.franceguide.com/Snow-destinations.html?nodeID=1&EditoID=19130

There should be a national body (equivalent to Disability Sport UK) for disabled skiing in all the main European ski countries that would have all the answers that you need. I would think that if you rang Disability Sport UK they should be able to tell you contact details for the various countries.

Hope you can get it sorted.
this is avery useful link. ARE THERE ANY FOR OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRYS
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
donzo112, These appear to be the main people in La Plagne - http://www.antennehandicap.fr.st/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, WE had trouble pinning them down and in the end went for:
http://www.oxygene-ski.com/english/laplagne_handicap.html
They were really nice people who were gave us lots of assurance in advance
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Breckenridge hosts a week-long festival at the beginning of each December that might be of interest - http://breckenridge.snow.com/ea.events.calendar.event.asp?eventid=908

I happened to be there when it was on in 2004, and it seems well organised, and there's some great slopes at the bottom of Peak 9 for learning.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, that is a much more friendly looking website than the one I linked too - in english as well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, The problem our friends had was that the person spoke English (our French is a disgrace) But his attiude was typical layed back French. "yes, whatever, give me a ring when you get here" the instruction looked great but our friends didn't dare leave it to chance. The Oxygene folks were very nice, very helpful, and in the end it worked out superbly.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have a Swiss instructor/guide, Sophie, who spends many days with our guests in our Leysin chalet.

She skis 24/7/365 both in Switzerland and New Zealand (where she is now). She's had 28 years experience, including racing until she was 18, then instructing. She's got her ISIA (allowing her to instruct internationally) which also allows her to teach boarding for beginners and intermediate level.

More to the point, she qualified as an instructor for Disabled Skiing in '99, and became a Kids Examiner in 2000. Incredible knowledge of both Leysin and the local ski resorts, including Les Diablerets, Villars, Zermatt and Gstaad, especially off-piste. Great young lady, and multi-lingual. She has a lot of gear and/or knows where to rent/buy the best.

She works as a team with her husband Neil, on an hourly, 1/2 daily or daily basis (or weekly with some of our guests).

If you PM me, I will pass on her e-mail address, and you can ask her the relevant questions. She's back in Switzerland in December, and will be there until the end of our season in mid-April 2007.

Good luck - hope to see your family in Leysin - great village, really friendly, and excellent facilities!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
donzo112, the ESF in La Rosiere cater for disabled skiers, they have all the equipment for paraplegics, you can find details from the ski school link on www.larosiere.net we often see Lionel one of the senior ESF instructors taking severely disabled skiers out on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
donzo112, I think you'll find most of them do.

i sorted out just this for my wedding for one of my mum's friends.

I'm sure they also have them in all the villages here but i know for certain that they do at Chantemerle, Serre Chevalier. I also know that you want to book the Grand hotel in Serre Che, it is right at the bottom of the piste and has rooms with disabled acces into both the room and the bathroom.
latest report
Any time that I have been to Whistler I have seen a number of skiers with disabilities on the mountain . This is the web link

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/rentals/adaptive/index.htm

The brother of one of my sons school friends is disabled and that family went to Whistler every year, because of the adaptive programme.
latest report
Boswell what does PM mean and how do I do it
ski holidays
donzo112, I guess you've now realised that most resorts in most countries could do what you want! the ESF in LDA also do disabled ski lessons and equipment (saw one of the instructors arrive with sitski waiting for client last year). He will undoubtedly have fantasic fun, and after a couple of holidays will leave you stanidng! Very Happy
ski holidays
donzo112, pm means "private message"

Underneath the logo on the right is "send/receive messages" click on that and type in "Boswell" in the address box, enter a title and message and click submit. Watch out for his reply - you should get a blue box flash up to tell you that a pm has arrived.
snow report
Boswell, what does pm mean and how do i do it
snow conditions
easiski, it appears that Canada USA and France are very good for disabled skiers but the rest of europe is very much behind. You would not believe the amount of hours I have put into trying to find equipment for wheelchair users in Livigno or anywhere in Italy for that matter without success.
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
donzo112, pm means "private message"

Underneath the logo on the right is "send/receive messages" click on that and type in "Boswell" in the address box, enter a title and message and click submit. Watch out for his reply - you should get a blue box flash up to tell you that a pm has arrived.

havin trouble finding logo on right. What does it look like?
snow report
donzo112, the "snowheads" logo at the top of the page.

I missed out a stage in the instructions. First you will need to click on "new Post" before you type in the username and title and message.
latest report
donzo112,

Follow this link to PM Boswell

snowHead
snow conditions
Hoppo wrote:
donzo112,

Follow this link to PM Boswell

snowHead
got there thanks very much
latest report
OK - I'm sending out some SOS messages to some folks....
snow conditions
Thanks, guys, much appreciated. We are in contact.

Boswell
snow conditions
donzo112 wrote:
I hope to bring my 15 year old paraplegic son skiing for the first time this winter.can anybody recommend a resort that can cater fot disabled skiers and would have the necessary equipment for hire.

As Snowangel said, they do cater for disabled skiers in serre chevalier. I have seen skiers with various disabilities there over the years including blind skiers.
Here's a short clip of a skier and mentor in a specially adapted chair, taken last march.
(you will need to register and login to the snowmediazone to view it, if you do not already subscribe. (2mb WMV video)

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/4257/limit/recent
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Clip looks great but i'm hoping he will learn to go down himself
ski holidays
donzo - as I said I regularly ride lifts with a para who (with a fancy self lift sit ski) is totally independant.... they do slow the lift a little I think... to make sure his sit ski makes its place securely.... but he needs no help at all... and skis like a demon!!

Still awaiting return messages.... Pity we missed all those italians by a day.... Oh well...
snow conditions
Donzo 112 - if you search back last year I did a similar thread and by and large the responses are consistent with those that I obtained. The other resort that received considerable praise for its adaptive program in the US was Winter Park. Little Tiger obviously has personal experience. I don't think I'll be taking my little girl (5) this year as we've a 6 week old addition to the family and my little boy is only 3 in Jan so its a bit early for my family. Unfortunately, costs of adaptive skiing seem high as you're effectively into private lessons and those costs may be limiting. I hope you find a resort that caters for your son's needs. I hope he really enjoys it. I think there is alot to be said for going those who have made personal recommendations based on experience such as Frosty and Snowangel. These would give me confidence.

Moderators is it worth adding this thread to useful resources on Trips or Resorts
snow conditions
dan100 wrote:
Unfortunately, costs of adaptive skiing seem high as you're effectively into private lessons and those costs may be limiting.

that was why I'd suggested he come visit down under.... it seems to be cheaper to do our camps.... and with the exchange rate as it is would be VERY cheap... just not a cheap airfare...

2006 DWA Camps and Cost

You are invited to apply for Disabled WinterSport Australia’s 2006 Alpine Ski Camps:

Camp 1: 2nd-7th July 2006 DWA JNR Development camp(by invitatation)
Camp 2: 9th-14th July 2006 DWA ski camp
Camp 3: 16th-21 July 2006 DWA ski camp .
Camp 4 30th-4th July/Aug 2006 DWA ski camp
13t h-20th Aug 2006 QLD Sporting wheelies camp
Camp 5 27th-1st Aug/Sept 2006 DWA ski camp
Camp 6 10th-15th Sept 2006 DWA ski camp

DWA reserve the right to screen all applications. Although DWA endeavours to accommodate for large range of people with disabilities on these camps, limitations in resources and equipment may restrict the number of participants that can be provided for.

The camp cost of $650 per person includes:

5 nights shared accommodation in Finsko’s Lodge (linen hire included)
5 days breakfast & dinner, 4 days lunch
4 days ski hire (ski clothing will need to be hired separately)
4 days Lift and Lessons
Transport to and from Thredbo/Perisher?each day

Ditto I know that the Challenge Aspen price is a good price - because it is all inclusive...
http://www.challengeaspen.com/Recreation/winterpricing.asp and from there..

Lessons:
All lessons are private, one-on-one instruction and include an all day lift ticket, ski instructor, equipment rental and a volunteer ski buddy if needed.

3 Hour/Half Day Lesson: $90.00
6 Hour/Full Day Lesson: $150.00

Ski Buddy/Guide:
A complimentary lift ticket for volunteer services when assisting a disabled skier will be provided. Authorization from Challenge Aspen is required to obtain this discount.

Camps:
Price ranges from $300-$500, please contact us for more information.

I do like our system - half price private lessons and lift tickets allows some for the fact that unlike a "regular" person you are likely to take many more private lessons(usually you need to).... and I know for a fact the resort still makes a profit on my lessons.... they soon let me know when the price I will pay will be denting the bottom line (eg if there is a spring sale or I want to do a special program... we come to an arrangement that benefits both parties).
I spend thousands a year on skiing(5 figures) ... and although I CAN now ski without spending that for many years it was not possible .... if I had needed to pay full price skiing would have been impossible for me... Just way out of my league... as it is I had to reorganise my life to allow me to ski... and if not for being able to sleep on friends floors etc still may not have made it...
snow conditions
donzo112, I may have missed it but where are you and your son currently based?

Try this link to Back-UP who organise a lot of sports in UK and abroad. http://www.spinal.org.uk/
I work in the Bucks Trust at Stoke Mandeville Hospital and work with spinal trained physio's many of whom act as buddies and instructors on the various courses worldwide for the Back-up Trust.
I am not at work till next week but will do some enquiring then to find out what they would suggest for a first time.
It may help if you PM me with an idea of your sons disability that would give them a better idea of what level of dependancy and what resort/courses may suit him.
ski holidays
Falls Creek is very friendly to disabled skiers. One of their locals won a gold medal in the Para-Olympics in Turin. It's nice sized sized resort, 15 tows, 5,000 beds. Not too small, not too big. http://www.fallscreek.com.au/website/default.asp
ski holidays
Bogong wrote:
Falls Creek is very friendly to disabled skiers. One of their locals won a gold medal in the Para-Olympics in Turin. It's nice sized sized resort, 15 tows, 5,000 beds. Not too small, not too big. http://www.fallscreek.com.au/website/default.asp

yeah - they are nice too...
but I prefer Thredbo as they seem to have more disabled students around - and they have easier wheelchair access from the car park around the ski school...

Also Finskos lodge makes accom easy.... and of course Michael Milton is sponsored by them!
ski holidays
Isnt this a great thread.So much great information by people who know.
latest report
yep - if you come down under you should be easy to sort out.....

It is simply that we can't help easily for your part of the world...

Helpers still trying I believe... although the main one I stood up on his offer of a lesson during his holidays when I was at Deer valley... so maybe he is getting me back Wink

The guy in charge of disabled skiing at Falls is Ivo from czech republic but now an aussie- I have skied with him - was a fun lesson! I'd ski with him again... and Hew used to take many lessons there too (his brother had spinabifida) - Hew is a honey!
Frano -now in charge of race dept - was one of my instructors - you want experienced instruction... He is(was??) an aussie examiner/trainer and also has his austrian staatliche... SUPERB to ski with

Thredbo I can give you a list of folks.... the guy in charge last i checked was Huon Lemercier... nice guy... Graeme Morris was in charge when I started - he was a paralympic coach IIRC.. He is great to ski with... then you have most of the ones I ski with... etc etc...

Thredbo rocks re the attitude... I have seen 1-leg skiers lining up in the class lesson with their school-mates.... They seem very aware of the desire to do "normal" and keen to help achieve that... This is the reason I prefer the non-segregated approach... the ability to integrate I rate highly...
ski holidays
donzo112, are you any closer to getting something sorted for your son?
snow conditions
donzo112 - I've just noticed that there's a "Ski Adaptively" (video) PodCast on the iTunes store as a free download. Might be worth a look.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, nothing confirmed yet but moving in the right direction.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy