Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Epic Ski Academy

Poster: A snowHead
spyderjon, Being there for 5 months, I may find a weeks change of scenery and maybe snow conditions if Verbier has a bad season for snow a welcome break. Its the tuition though that is interesting me most.
Do you reckon this would be a good compliment to my intended 1/2 day a week with Warren Smith's guys?
I'd also like to see what its like over the pond.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rockyrobin wrote:
Do you reckon this would be a good compliment to my intended 1/2 day a week with Warren Smith's guys?

You betcha Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only problem I see is the flights from Geneva -Salt Lake City. They're asking nigh on £600 return! I could go to New Zealand for that which is a lot further. Do you reckon it would be safe to wait on a last minute deal?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rockyrobin wrote:
Do you reckon it would be safe to wait on a last minute deal?

Dunno, maybe. Problem is that ESA is likely to be fully subscribed. Foxy would be the guy to ask re the chances of a last minute place at ESA.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends what you mean by "last minute"!
Unless it is oversubscribed, we should be able to take bookings up to early December. Much after that, and it gets difficult for the organisers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rockyrobin, blimey Shocked I mention it in passing on Monday and here you are the next day looking at flight costings Very Happy

Mind you, I'll be having a "talk" with the boss this weekend about it. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, rockyrobin, Excellent, another two victims in one night.

I'm really lucky in that I've managed to secure commercial sponsorship for my trip. You could try for yourselves:

http://www.capitalone.co.uk
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, Sorry, I was meaning flight booking costs. Good to hear there's plenty of places. I have a friend who is mad about sliding as me that may also be interested. I shall spread the word and see if I can get another to come along. Hehe, i'm trying hard to talk myself into it! Very Happy

marc gledhill, You only live once, and with all the sliding i'll get in this season this would be a nice chance to add some extra tools to my skiing skill kit i'm thinking and a nice way to introduce myself to skiing in the USA which I really would like to sample.
Get working on that boss m8 Laughing

spyderjon, Hehe, don't go jumping the gun mate. I may just keep you in suspense for a while just to tease you Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rockyrobin wrote:
Good to hear there's plenty of places.

I wouldn't go as far as to say we had "plenty of places" but don't worry, I'll let you know when we get down to the last 5 places...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, Cheers, I hope it won't come to that Very Happy Just need to see if my friend may be interested then maybe do the dirty deed Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rockyrobin wrote:
Just need to see if my friend may be interested then maybe do the dirty deed Smile

Marc, you & now Craig. Three in one night. Most excellent Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, No not Craig, Susie. She's more of an obsessive than me I reckon so would be really likely to want to go. I've sent Craig some info. Will see if he be insterested too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rockyrobin, Four, even better!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, Don't want to get your hopes up mate. Will try my best.
I'll spend the next few days trying to find cheaper flights from Geneva to Salt Lake before commiting myself.
Fingers crossed Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rockyrobin, it might work out cheapest to grab a sleazyjet flight to Amsterdam or London, and then use a proper airline from there.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks for the tip. I did notice that a lot of flights I was getting quotes on involved a change at Heathrow, or they were direct to the US and changing there to get to Salt Lake.
Making my searches from the UK should make things easier, cheers Smile
latest report
Anyone started to think about flights and transfers yet...
Do we have a 'group'?

I'm not sure if I'm a 1 or a 2 - Denise wants to go back to Whistler for 2 weeks. I say fine - do both.
So at the minute I'll say we'll do a 1 week sat-sat with 2 people from S. England.
snow report
lbt, was just looking yesterday - American Airlines via Chicago for £406. although that was based on a 2 week trip, but should be pretty much the same for a 1 week.

Have you signed up yet for the Academy?
ski holidays
Apologies for being a lazy twonk but could someone (WTFH?) detail when this is, who is going (all from Heathrow ?) for how long and plans beyond the actual ESA.

I've got some friends (hurray) I'm hoping to organise for a trip to Canada but if that doesn't come off this could be a plan B.
snow conditions
NickW, see http://esa.epicski.com

Basically as follows:

Sat 28 Jan - Flight out to Salt Lake City & transfer to Snowbird for late afternoon/early evening arrival. Beer.
Sun 29 Jan, day - Recreation ski. Beer
Sun 29 Jan, evening - Welcome bash & registration. Beer.
Mon 30 Jan to Thurs 2 Feb - Academy in day. Beer in evening.
Thurs 2 Feb, evening - Closing bash. Beer.

Snowbird are offering discounted room rates to ESA attendees for the duration of the course & the lift pass cost is included in the Academy course fee.

Definites so far are Linds, Foxy & myself. There's a few others threatening but only us three have registered with ESA as far as I know.

Foxy & myself are going for two weeks, Sat to Sat from Sat 28 Jan. Following the Academy we'll be transferring to Park City to attend The Gathering over a long middle weekend to ski Park City, Deer Valley & Canyons etc. See
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?p=298445

No firm plans after that except that we plan to ski a few resorts & end up back at Snowbird/Alta for the last day (or two?) & then fly out of SLC on the morning of Sat 11 Feb to arrive in the UK for Sunday morning.

Foxy has recently sourced the American Airlines via Chicago flight for £406 return which I believe is from Heathrow, which I think we'll probably go for. I'll probably travel down the night before & stop over on a hotel/parking deal unless I can get a cheap deal on flying down from East Midlands on the Sat morning.

That's about it.
ski holidays
Thank you spyderjon

Lots of people always sound keen but very few actually turn up. I'm rate me a 10/90 but we'll see. Every time I hear a global warming story >> wow Piste thread.
snow report
Thank you spyderjon

Lots of people always sound keen but very few actually turn up. I'm rate me a 10/90 but we'll see. Every time I hear a global warming story >> wow Piste thread.
snow report
NickW, so far we have over 30 signed up & paid deposits - so quite a few will be showing up!
latest report
...Just a quick update...
The Academy site now has a Who's Who page, which may interest some to see who we have lined up for instruction...

http://esa.epicski.com/people/index.shtml
latest report
All look very impressive!
I think I need to get some practice in before I go Shocked Laughing
Wear The Fox Hat or anybody else, Fancy a trip to MK?
latest report
Linds, always!

(but remember, we are going to learn from them, not try to race them)
snow conditions
again i feel compelled to plug the event, the staff, the resorts.

weems is a great, great guy and a very good teacher. he won't bring any weak sisters to the event. i know a couple of the staffers and they are superb practitioners.

everyone needs to experience alta and the bird once. it is large, beautiful, and best of all very snowy.

i have several friends/students who have attended and the had nothing but praise.
latest report
Well, well. Looks like I have a green light for the trip, but I'll have to be heading home pretty shortly after the closing bash.

spyderjon, Which flights out did you go for?

Does anyone know the travel times between Salt Lake airport and Snowbird?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill wrote:
Well, well. Looks like I have a green light for the trip, but I'll have to be heading home pretty shortly after the closing bash.

spyderjon, Which flights out did you go for?

Does anyone know the travel times between Salt Lake airport and Snowbird?

Great news Marc.

We haven't booked the flights yet & I haven't spoken to Foxy for a week or two but expect to in the near future. I think that the current plan is still the 12.15pm American Airlines flight from Heathrow to SLC via Chicago, which arrives at SLC at 9.21pm.

There's a transfer shuttle from SLC airport to Snowbird. It takes about 45 mins to go the 30 miles & a round trip ticket should be under £35.

I'll advise more when known.
ski holidays
Well WTFH, I didn't want to answer until I could say "YES".

So "YES", "YES" from which you may deduce that I've persuaded Mrs lbt [Denise] to come too.
I signed up today and I've got a cheque in front of me...

She does keep asking if she'll be good enough and is very nervous about being a beginner - lots of encouragement and support needed there Smile

It'd be nice to try and get the same flight and maybe even nearby seats - so how far away are we from that?

Denise did find that Virgin fly from Heathrow and from my limited knowledge I'd pay the extra few quid to fly with them. I'll gladly defer to people with more experience though!

Now we've registered and comitted we need to figure out when to go and how long to stay.
We're looking at a 'return to Whistler' later in the season so we're thinking of just doing a week but we may scrape an extra day or two if we're lucky.
Not booked accomodation yet either... where are the majority of people lilkely to be?
snow report
lbt, Great that you can join us. AFAIK, Virgin don't fly to Salt Lake City so you'd need to change airlines in the US.
snow conditions
Yes, we would have changed somewhere in the US - didn't get as far as checking the itinerary.
To be honest its just that we've heard good things about Virgin and figured that it'd be worth using them for the longest leg of the trip. Not to bothered but would like to book early and try and get a bulkhead/legroom seat.

Neither of us will be taking skis so that's not a big issue for us.
snow report
Linds, Wear The Fox Hat, spyderjon, lbt, do you know what your plans are at all for accomodation/flights/transfers?

I've paid the $200 deposit, and whilst not too worried about flights and transfers, would like to know that accomodation is sorted, especially as the "Epic Offer" on rooms is only held untill the start of November. Are the Spyder and the Fox bunking up together? Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
marc gledhill, yup, jon and me are sharing.
I'll probably work on the flights and stuff this week.
What you could do is post on Epic, marc, you'll find a room share there.
ski holidays
Quote:

Are the Spyder and the Fox bunking up together?

Scarey Shocked Laughing
I have a roommate for Epic but am still trying to find a female to share with at the Gathering.

Quote:

Mrs lbt [Denise] to come too.

Be nice to have some female company snowHead
snow conditions
oh, I hadn't realised that the room thing needed to booked by then!
Better start thinking...

Linds that's what Denise said Smile
latest report
FYI I just called the Cliff Lodge and we've decided to go for the ski-in/ski-out room at $159/night - so that's booked Smile
They can arrange en-masse airport transport too (if we all arrive at the same time) - didn't go into details on the phone, basically just email them...

BTW, the $159 rates ($177 inc tax) seem excellent - standard rates are about $360/night.

All fully refundable until 30days before arrival so I figured it was worth booking. They said they had plenty of rooms BTW.
One minor glitch - apparently the reduced rates only apply to the Canyon View rooms <shrug>
ski holidays
Also FYI: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=26357
post #23 says:
"The majority of meeting space (and therefore the location of ESA functions) is in the Cliff Lodge & Spa."
ski holidays
Hhhhmmmmmmm.

Sorry to join this thread rather late guys, but my plans for teh season have just changed. I am no longer able to get time off for a big trip at Easter due to work commitments, so will need to use up some leave earlier in the season.

Would i be welcome?

hhhhmmmmmmm...
snow conditions
Oh I'd say so Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy