Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More video to critique

Poster: A snowHead
WTFH set the example, and got some useful feedback here and on Epic, so I thought it's my turn for some ritual humiliation and hopefully lots of useful pointers. I've stuck four clips on a page if anyone wants to download them, imaginately titled 1, 2 3 and 4. You'll need a divx capable video player to view them.

All the clips were taken in Tignes two years ago, and were my very first attempt to ski through gates. The weather was very poor that week, with lots of fresh snow and high wind. Some notes:
Clip 1 was my first run in gates. Please ignore the line I took as it's very embarrasing!
Clip 2 and Clip 3 were very hesitant because I'd pulled a muscle carrying gates up on the drag lift, and was in a fair bit of pain every time I twisted (is this called pre-emptive excuse-making? Wink)
Clip 4 is in slo-mo to allow a detailed level of insults to come my way, and includes added Embarrassment Factorâ„¢ Embarassed (my excuse is that I was distracted by the evacuation of the Grand Motte cable car which was happening at the time).

Since that time I've worked hard on my transition and angulation (which are still poor, but getting better) and I tried to have more dynamic body movement when changing edges because my lack of movement was inhibiting the crossover from one ski to the other.

The videos can be downloaded from this page.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 4-09-06 20:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"We're having trouble fulfilling your last request. Please return to the .Mac home page." Looks like you've overloaded them rob@rar.org.uk, either that or they don't want you to be seen.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FenlandSkier, Poo! It was working just a few minutes ago. Can I post video in the snowMedia zone? Largest file size is about 9mb.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Can I post video in the snowMedia zone? Largest file size is about 9mb.

To answer my own question, no it rejected a divx file.

My download page seems to be working now - perhaps patience is required?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk, no luck here either. Any chance you could post to YouTube?

(failing that, let me know and I MIGHT be able to host them.)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, I try to avoid YouTube becuase it compresses the video and looks 'orrid. I've edited the link to my download page and it seems to be working better now, but if it's still flakey I'll look for another option - thanks for the offer, I might come back to you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wish I could have a look but im at work at the moment.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Renry, the video are Safe For Work Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, Didn't recognise you without the day-glo suit Wink Nice fall btw Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk, Excellent tumble Laughing

The tehnique looks good on the tumble run but the slope looks in awful nick. It ws a great big divot that you hit prior to the fall. Luckily you seemed to have smoothed out the remainder of the run for those following wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone know where I can get a DIVX CODEC from?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
It ws a great big divot that you hit prior to the fall. Luckily you seemed to have smoothed out the remainder of the run for those following wink

That was very sharp-eyed of you to spot that! The slope was a bit grim for running gates - the moment you got off the line you were in soft snow, and it was the hole that pushed me off line at that gate. It's a good example of the power of the mind to screw things up - just before that run Emma Carrick-Anderson (who was giving feedback at the top of the course) said to me that there's a big hole on the line at the banana gate and to make sure I absorbed it. All down the run I was thinking "must absorb that bloody hole, must absorb that bloody hole, must absorb that.... ahhhhhh" then I went through the middle of a gate backwards! If I hadn't been focused on the hole I'm sure I would have been OK.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 4-09-06 21:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use the player and codec from http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, http://www.divx.com/divx/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've added .divx to the allowed file types on the mediaZone. I downloaded a codec from here http://www.download.com/3001-2194_4-10543670.html?idl=n seems to work OK.
snow report
Yoda, thanks O wise one. Grateful I am.
snow conditions
Nice set of videos and a nice progession. Video 4 shows a huge progression over video 1. (I'm making the bold assumption that they're in chronological order - I certainly hope you didn't start at video 4 and end at video 1!!!!)

First video shows very distinct A framing - which looks to be because you're skiing with your weight is over your inside, rather than outside leg. Looks like a lack of commitment - so your outside leg is becoming a bit of a outrigger.

Your weight is also a bit back all the way around the turn.

In the second video the A frame is still there, but much, much less distinct - which is a huge improvement. (I'm jealous as it's the problem that's haunting me at the moment - I got rid of it and it's come back.)

Key things are a lack of commitment to turn initiation - both in terms of timing (it's a bit late) and getting your hips across. It means that you're not engaging the edges early enought and you're not getting hips / shoulders level to the hill and don't have enough, so you don't make the most of the edges you've got.

Leg width is also inconsistent.

You're also still a bit weight back (shown particularly at 0:14).

Video 3 is much the same as video 2.

Huge improvements all around in video 4 - particularly your ankle flex and body position. And around 0:25 shows much, much better commitment to the turn and your edges.

The step at 0:15 is because your weight is back - you would have benefitted from "pulling your legs back" on the crossover.

0:25 still shows a bit of an A frame and reliance on that inside leg.

You really nail that last but one turn - the carving is very, very clean Very Happy

Probably the one thing I'd work on (and probably the wrong thing!) if I were you were is trying to achieve a "cross-under" (virtual bump) transition - so that you're not trying to extend up and over on transition. Basically, you want your hips to stay level and for you to let your legs do the transition - just like absorbing a bump.

This picture gives a nice example - http://www.ronlemaster.com/images/latest-images/slides/rothrock-bc-2004-sl-1A.html
snow report
Oh, there's some good stuff at http://www.ronlemaster.com/presentations.html
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, sorry it wasn't there before - but you're the first to mention divx afaik. I uploaded your #1 as a test, what would you like me to do with it, as it were?

(ps sorry, no skiing content in this post wink )
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, thanks for that feedback, very helpful. Yes the videos are in chronological order: Vid 1 was on the Tuesday, Vid 2 and 3 on the Thursday and Vid 4 on the Friday. The lack of commitment was something I worked hard on as the week progressed, making some improvement. The hardest thing is knowing what "fully committed" feels like. So many times I thought I was really getting across my skis, but the video showed otherwise! Still something I'm working hard at.

Thanks for the LeMaster links. I wish I was as agile as Tom Rothrock; that cross-under happens amazingly quickly. I'd end up on my backside if I tried to do that! Nevertheless, good practice for me to try to cross-under. It would be nice if all my turns could be as clean as the penultimate one in Vid 4 - it really felt clean, smooth and very fast. Shame I got dumped a few seconds later Embarassed

I'm should have a bit more video from my GS week in November. I just hope I've improved a bit...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 4-09-06 23:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Yoda wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, sorry it wasn't there before - but you're the first to mention divx afaik. I uploaded your #1 as a test, what would you like me to do with it, as it were?

(ps sorry, no skiing content in this post wink )

Can you put it in my account on snowMedia (my login is rob)?

Thanks for the help. I'll add the other videos myself.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, done snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:
I'd end up on my backside if I tried to do that!

It's honestly easier than it looks - you just have to trust the physics and biomechanics of the situation. Your legs and skis know what to do much better than you do - sort of the case of disengaging the brain - which, in my case, isn't too hard Laughing Laughing

Instuctor who got me to do it told me to ski normally and then imagine there was a razor wire half way between the 3rd and 4th gates. You should have seen me when I got it on the 5th or 6th run.

I be b*&&&*d if I can do it in bumps though.
latest report
how do you guys shrink your video? got a 60mb file, trying to shrink it using Nero Recode but it always ends up jumpy and cr*p!
snow conditions
gregh - try importing it into a Windows Movie Maker project and then exporting it again. There are lots of options.
latest report
gregh, I find divx to be the best codec for compressing video. For example, the size of Clip 1 that I posted is 2.6mb; before compressing it with divx it was 96mb. It runs smoothly (it's still 25fps), has reasonable quality audio and has been deinterlaced so you don't get jagged edges on all moving objects. Follow the link above for more info on divx players and convertors.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk,
I just had a peep at the files. Have a look at them again and see if you can see any difference between your left and your right turns ?
latest report
david@mediacopy wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk,
I just had a peep at the files. Have a look at them again and see if you can see any difference between your left and your right turns ?

Welcome to snowHeads!

Generally I feel that left turns (with my dominant leg) are smoother because I get a better edge angle, but I'm not sure I can spot that on the video clips. Any clues as to what I should be looking for?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, on the right track.

If you look at the turns where you are turning to your right you'll see the ski breaking away, while in the other direction they are much more grippy.

It was one such break away that unbalanced you and lead to the fall.
snow report
david@mediacopy, thanks. I think I need to be even more committed to the turn on my weaker leg to try and compensate.
latest report
I'd suggest having a few runs (maybe not through the gates) the next time you are out and just focus on the difference in feeling between turning left and right. Try to feel what's going on at your ski's. Once you are aware of the difference you will be able to adapt. This often happens without too much conscious thought or 'trying harder'.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy