Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski instructor won't teach beginner

Poster: A snowHead
Chatelbeauroc wrote:

Why? You can "learn to ski" in a day, insomuch as you'll (probably) be able to snowplough around a bit on a gentle slope.

Sorry, I wasn't really clear about what I meant. I was trying to say that anyone suggesting that "the best way to learn" is to turn up in resort unprepared apart from some exercises is misleading their customers.

Quote:

I'm not convinced that watching videos without the ability to try or practice anything is a good idea though.

Different people learn in different ways, and some (including me) benefit from thinking about things before being asked to do them, but thinking has to in the context of helpful information, so you get to a point where you say to yourself "I'm learning to do this now". I suspect @Origen would concur. My daughter has this in spades (but oddly doesn't need it for skiing).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tsgsh, Yes, I'm that type of learner myself, and often recognise it in others when I'm teaching, varying my style as appropriate, but specifically for complete beginners who've never stood in a pair of ski boots, let alone on a pair of skis, I'm doubtful if the benefits would outweigh the potential pitfalls.

(And personally I hate video tutorials for anything, but that may be just me. Write it down please - if you can't put it into words then it says to me that you don't fully understand your own message).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

it's possible to achieve quite a fair level in that time.

Agreed - and for lots of people, a week of lessons is all they'll ever do.

I did "Learn to Snowboard in a Day" at Hemel, quite a long time ago. It was utterly knackering. I was 57, which didn't help. Neither did the awful bindings on the rented boards. But yes, I ended up knowing what I was supposed to be doing and deciding that I wanted to carry on. The only guy who was doing linked turns down the slope by the end of the day had done a little bit before.

We had that Sunday Times "We Learned to Ski" book too - it was a big motivator. I pretty well read the print off our copy before we had our first family holiday in Austria in about 1987. But the whole family could ski after our week of lessons (all in different classes) and as it was a two week holiday (self catering, and the second week didn't cost much) we consolidated our errors and had huge fun skiing independently the following week. We could definitely ski. Like I can definitely swim. Just not very well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

going through from BASI L3 to L4 and Eurotest is not insignificant (I never planned to, being over 50 when I started)

Not to mention also currently impossible to do so through BASI.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@tsgsh
(And personally I hate video tutorials for anything, but that may be just me. Write it down please - if you can't put it into words then it says to me that you don't fully understand your own message).

Me too, in general, but I did buy Spyderjon's Ski servicing DVD.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good to remember too that at least at Manchester, the lessons are 50% off in summer, so you can get a good deal if you plan in advance. I did 4 hours of lessons there before going on my first ski holiday, for the same reason mentionned above - better to try it for about 100 quid before taking the plunge and booking a trip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has the OP been back?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zikomo, either been scared of totally, or sorted their problem?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zikomo wrote:
Has the OP been back?

Not since page 1 but then again, as with most threads, all useful information probably gleaned in the first few posts the rest is just hot air and willy waving (generalisation). Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
swskier wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

going through from BASI L3 to L4 and Eurotest is not insignificant (I never planned to, being over 50 when I started)

Wasn't aware of that, haven't paid any BASI fees for the last three or four years, not really followed what they're up to. I do know that there's been more of a trend, certainly in the Ski School I've sworked at the last four seasons, towards getting non-Swiss instructors to convert to the Swiss system. I'm not with them any more though, so don't exactly know the rationale.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
swskier wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

Wasn't aware of that, haven't paid any BASI fees for the last three or four years, not really followed what they're up to. I do know that there's been more of a trend, certainly in the Ski School I've sworked at the last four seasons, towards getting non-Swiss instructors to convert to the Swiss system. I'm not with them any more though, so don't exactly know the rationale.

BASI are not able to add a eurotest pass to you qualification any more as a result of Brexit. You'd have to do the ISIA speedtest, which would be fine for you in Switzerland, but no use in France.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
@zikomo, either been scared of totally, or sorted their problem?
It's a little frustrating as I think many here gave some good advice!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's life on the internet, @zikomo, all those pearls of wisdom cast before swine. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Origen wrote:
That's life on the internet, @zikomo, all those pearls of wisdom cast before swine. Laughing

clearly an issue with their innerer schweinehund to reach page the second page of a thread
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Happy to announce the instructor who lead the Monday's uptake has been far more patient and my friend can get up and down some of the beginner runs in Champagny. He clearly isn't somone who is an utter lost cause, but not the next Candide Thovex either.

Obviously I'll never know the standard of the original group as I wasn't keeping watch.

@Baron von chippy, clearly not bad enough for the original instructor's colleague to make some progress.

Thanks everyone for suggestions of schools / instructors in the area. Thankfully things seem less stressful for all involved now!
ski holidays
@Ruswit, excellent result!

You’re a good friend to your mate, in helping him to sorting it out.
ski holidays
It's great when things both work out and also when the forum hears about it afterwards. Cheers for reporting back.
ski holidays
Quote:

Cheers for reporting back.

+1
latest report
halfhand wrote:
zikomo wrote:
Has the OP been back?

Not since page 1 but then again, as with most threads, all useful information probably gleaned in the first few posts the rest is just hot air and willy waving (generalisation). Laughing

That's the internet! (but also why old-fashioned forums like SH are so fun and diverting)

It really is amazing how some people take to certain activities. My brother's wife learned to ski reds (parallel, skidding turns) in a day, at age 35 or so. She was pretty athletic and in good shape, but she just figured out how to move her body. Whereas my wife took lessons for 3 years (maybe 4 weeks of private lessons) and couldn't get over her fears, so she gave it up...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy